Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Avisynth Development

Old 25th March 2020, 17:54   #1  |  Link
MysteryX
Soul Architect

Quarantine, good time for open-source development?

Now that most people are in quarantine, that's the perfect opportunity to clean your house, cooking or -- open-source development?

I'm wondering whether we're doing to see more activity around here.

Personally, I just got to Playa del Carmen in Mexico. Cancun is in lockdown, Merida and Progreso are in lockdown, Mexico City is in lockdown. Playa del Carmen... still business as usual! Moving into a new house tonight. Moved out of Thailand. Thailand is going into lockdown for a month tomorrow.
MysteryX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2020, 18:06   #2  |  Link
MeteorRain
結城有紀

Yes!
Neo AviSynth+ filters - F3KDB | FFT3D | DFTTest | MiniDeen | Temporal Median
MeteorRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2020, 18:52   #3  |  Link
feisty2
I'm Siri

online course
feisty2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2020, 21:10   #4  |  Link
wonkey_monkey
Formerly davidh*****

Sadly I can mostly work from home. But on the plus side, I just got a sweet new laptop - 12 cores, 24Gb, nippy SSD. My current personal project isn't an Avisynth one, though. I was working on a new version of my Fusion plugin, but I don't know if that's of much interest to anyone else so I haven't fully formalised it.

I have plans for a new version of Waveform, which I can at least be sure someone will find useful...

Last edited by wonkey_monkey; 25th March 2020 at 23:24.
wonkey_monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2020, 23:12   #5  |  Link
FranceBB
Broadcast Encoder

I guess we're pretty much all stuck at home doing "Smart Working" (i.e working from home, doing the exact same thing we generally do).
In my case, though, remoting everything in the production chain - especially for live events - wasn't possible, so there are still 500 people (out of 5000) who are still physically going to work everyday.
Thankfully, I'm not one of them.
FranceBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2020, 00:07   #6  |  Link
Reel.Deel

I've had some time to work on the wiki: http://avisynth.nl/index.php/Special:RecentChanges

Stay safe everyone
Reel.Deel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2020, 08:30   #7  |  Link
pinterf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reel.Deel View Post
I've had some time to work on the wiki: http://avisynth.nl/index.php/Special:RecentChanges

Stay safe everyone
Nice work, thank you!
pinterf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2020, 22:21   #8  |  Link
MysteryX
Soul Architect

btw I'm getting the feeling that while my generation is great with computers and programming (I'm 35, started programming when I was 12), the younger generation is mostly clueless about all this -- just good at using cellphone apps. Am I right? That's making open-source projects like this a lot more quiet.
Old 27th March 2020, 23:07   #9  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Yep, a few months back I remember a few young pups talking at the bus stop and one said he had not used his laptop for about 12 months,
[the others pretty much had same to say], everything done on the phone, what with them there nimble fingers and thumbs.
[fascinates me to see them go hell for leather with them thumbs - single index finger for me]

"Some infinities are bigger than other infinities", but how many of them are infinitely bigger ???

Last edited by StainlessS; 27th March 2020 at 23:46.
StainlessS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2020, 23:51   #10  |  Link
Sharc

I have the same impression. Just playing with dull apps, sharing dumb videos, little to no creativity, pure distraction, wasting their time for nothing. Slaves of their mobile phones. Few exceptions perhaps. There is always hope .....
Sharc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2020, 00:18   #11  |  Link
FranceBB
Broadcast Encoder

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessS View Post
fascinates me to see them go hell for leather with them thumbs - single index finger for me
They're so fast, right?
And, you know, I do use my mobile phone and messaging apps, but man they're way faster than me as they use both their hands to type.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessS View Post
he had not used his laptop for about 12 months
Yep, I heard a similar conversation as well. They just use their smartphones, they don't care about computers.
And... sure, smartphones are great, but I would never ever use it to do everything I do on my pc, not only because it can't, but also because even for the things that it can actually do, they become kinda tedious for me to do on my mobile phone.

I think MysteryX made a good point.
You're 35, MysteryX, so you were born in the 80s. I think that we can go up 'till the 90s (my generation) before getting to the decline of coding awareness...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharc View Post
I have the same impression. Just playing with dull apps, sharing dumb videos, little to no creativity, pure distraction, wasting their time for nothing. Slaves of their mobile phones.
That's true! You're probably gonna laugh, but the only thing I have is Facebook, I don't have Instagram or other stuff 'cause I couldn't care less, but... (here's the funny part) when I told them, they kinda considered me a dinosaur for not using Tik Tok and Instagram!
And I was like: "They gotta be kidding, right?"
But no... New generations are spoiled, they don't use PCs and they just don't care about using them.
The only ones who do use computers among the youngsters are the ones that play games on their computer as they refuse to play them on a console, but... that's pretty much it...

It's sad, really...

Last edited by FranceBB; 28th March 2020 at 00:20.
FranceBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2020, 00:54   #12  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

I guess FaceBook aint cool if you're Grandmama's got a page [I personally would not touch any of that social stuff, can only just tolerate the D9 really].

"Some infinities are bigger than other infinities", but how many of them are infinitely bigger ???
StainlessS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2020, 02:02   #13  |  Link
real.finder

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranceBB View Post
Yep, I heard a similar conversation as well. They just use their smartphones, they don't care about computers.
And... sure, smartphones are great, but I would never ever use it to do everything I do on my pc, not only because it can't, but also because even for the things that it can actually do, they become kinda tedious for me to do on my mobile phone.
I also know these kind of people here, and I disapprove smartphones slave/worshipper
and I agree with you, but smartphones are good not gerat

Quote:
I think MysteryX made a good point.
You're 35, MysteryX, so you were born in the 80s. I think that we can go up 'till the 90s (my generation) before getting to the decline of coding awareness...
I am also 80s

Quote:
That's true! You're probably gonna laugh, but the only thing I have is Facebook, I don't have Instagram or other stuff 'cause I couldn't care less, but... (here's the funny part) when I told them, they kinda considered me a dinosaur for not using Tik Tok and Instagram!
And I was like: "They gotta be kidding, right?"
But no... New generations are spoiled, they don't use PCs and they just don't care about using them.
The only ones who do use computers among the youngsters are the ones that play games on their computer as they refuse to play them on a console, but... that's pretty much it...

It's sad, really...
same here only facebook and Viber and some old school Emulators that I rarely use, I prefer playing on the Playstation, and other things on PC
Old 28th March 2020, 02:51   #14  |  Link
Rumbah

I guess the correct answer would be "OK Boomer"

I think the view is a bit biased. At least around here there are more university students and otherwise educated people in computer science than ever.

If I had to guess I'd say around 5%-10% of my classmates knew how to program back then at the end of the 90s. So it wasn't that much back then either.

In addition to that all this doom9 video coding stuff was much more "needed" back then. You had space constrains and wanted to digitize/backup your TV shows/VHS/DVDs. Nowadays you have Netflix, Youtube, etc. where you have much more to stream than you could watch in a life time. So the need for this stuff here for the "normal guy" is not that prominent. You'd rather program a cool web application or something in gaming.
Rumbah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2020, 04:34   #15  |  Link
MysteryX
Soul Architect

on the flip-side, I have to admit -- a lot of stuff on Doom9 is very very "old-fashion".

Like working with direct assembly code, coding in C and stuff like that.

Although for the most part, the techniques have modernized; but some will never follow.

How many are still using Avisynth 2.5.8 ?

Btw I don't know how they do to work only from their cellphone. I type lightning fast on a keyboard... I feel like a turtle on the cellphone. I can type a full page of text in a minute... I can't imagine someone doing anything near that on a phone even with fast typing. Sure I can do basic tasks on the phone, but I feel very limited whenever I need to do any task that is more complex. Connect to your server via SSL with a Pageant certificate and upload website modifications... if you can. Doing server config via SSL console might be possible but won't be easy. Even very basic tasks are often struggling on the phone, unless you're used to those limitations.

Last edited by MysteryX; 28th March 2020 at 05:25.
Old 28th March 2020, 05:29   #16  |  Link
stax76

I say it's good knowing how to use both PC and smartphone and having access to everything from every device, sometimes the PC cannot be accessed or when things go bad the PC is defect and that usually happens in the worst situation. Some services have a much better app than a website.
stax76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2020, 06:56   #17  |  Link
hello_hello

Maybe one of the reasons the current generation are less likely to get into coding is because their computers/smartphones can do useful things. When I was a lad you only used a computer for two things... coding or playing Pong. A couple of my friends were "geeks" and into buying kits and writing code they loaded from tape or 5 1⁄4-inch floppies (or maybe 8 inch back then) and viewing it all on green-screens, and naturally they're computer experts now, but by the time PCs started to be capable of more than running Pong-like games I had other interests and never got into coding. I worked in a music store in the 80's when Atari and Amiga ruled the world, but when I was introduced to my first "Windows" PC it seemed like time had turned back ten years, so it wasn't until the late 90's when I needed a PC to do the bookwork for the business I was running that I looked at computers again.

I guess it was a timing thing, because I wish I had been into coding. Maybe one day I will....
For the record, I was born in the 60's. I can vaguely remember being 35, but at some stage I blinked and another 20 years went by.

Last edited by hello_hello; 28th March 2020 at 07:20.
hello_hello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2020, 07:08   #18  |  Link
real.finder

smartphones are boring and very limited when come to "things to learning", they made the OS for normies (you get more things if you did jailbreak or root but it's still so far from PC windows)

I forgot to mention, the only thing that the mobile did great in it was replacing the Walkman (fun thing there was W Series of mobiles from sony ericsson)
Old 28th March 2020, 10:25   #19  |  Link
feisty2
I'm Siri

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysteryX View Post
btw I'm getting the feeling that while my generation is great with computers and programming (I'm 35, started programming when I was 12), the younger generation is mostly clueless about all this -- just good at using cellphone apps. Am I right? That's making open-source projects like this a lot more quiet.
I'm GenZ and I'm great with computers and programming
feisty2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2020, 10:46   #20  |  Link
stax76

This is a very good resource for learning in case anybody interested:

https://realpython.com

Or if you like Microsoft, Windows and the terminal:

PowerShell:

https://adamtheautomator.com/tag/powershell/

Terminal:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gw0rXPMMPE

Editor:

https://code.visualstudio.com/docs/languages/powershell

I hope I will also find good Lua resources, need to learn it because of mpv.
stax76 is offline   Reply With Quote