Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > (HD) DVD & Blu-ray authoring
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 5th December 2005, 22:41   #1  |  Link
DVDragon

Dual Layer Scenarist Guide?

Can anyone point me in the direction of a scenarist guide that shows how to author a dual layer disc? I've did a search in the forums using "scenarist" and "dual layer" but it doesn't give many results. If there is no guide can someone just give me a brief rundown of how to do it. I know you should choose parallel but i'm not real clear on setting the layer break and how to do it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
DVDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2005, 23:15   #2  |  Link
bigotti5
Spielberger

Quote:
know you should choose parallel
No - you should choose OTP

In Scenario-Editor choose Settings - Sort tracks
Expand the tree and mark the scene for layer break - choose Set layer break at the bottom - ok
bigotti5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2005, 00:21   #3  |  Link
DVDragon

Ok thanks. What about the size of the layers. How close to even should they be and which one should be the bigger of the two?
Old 6th December 2005, 01:03   #4  |  Link
bigotti5
Spielberger

OTP requires Layer 0 > Layer 1
bigotti5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2005, 06:00   #5  |  Link
DVDragon

One more quick question. When i want to burn the disc image using dvd decryptor do i have to make an mds file or can i just burn the image that scenarist makes?
Old 7th December 2005, 13:29   #6  |  Link
mp3dom

About the sizes. Layer0 cannot exceeds the 4.25 GB. In particular the layer cannot exceed 2.084.960 sectors and the sectors need to be divisible by 16. Layer1 need to be less than Layer0 (in OTP). In PTP there isn't this problem but layer break in PTP require more time because the laser need to be refocused AND repositioned. PTP is good for TV series/anime which are divided into episodes so you can point a layer break at the end of one episode.
mp3dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2005, 13:51   #7  |  Link
Corion

You can burn with decryptor straight from the scenarist image.

Assuming you're authoring a DVD-Video you should use OTP and as has already been said, Layer 0 needs to be larger than Layer 1 but you should make the layers as near in size to each other as possible. This minimises the amount of time the laser takes to refocus.

You can only place your layer break at the start of a cell. If there is no where convenient in your scenario you can create a new scene on the track in question (hopefully conveniently on a fade to black), and add this to your PGC at cell level then place your layer break by going settings > sort tracks as described above.
Corion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2005, 16:15   #8  |  Link
DVDragon

Thanks, that helps alot. I think that covers all of my questions unless anybody has any other useful advice that I should know.