Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > DVD & BD Rebuilder

Old 27th December 2008, 05:16   #121  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophocles View Post
I've been looking forward to this. Jd, could I include 64026402 from Hounds? He's technically inclined, lots of rigs, and generally loves this kind fun.
You bet. The more the merrier.
Old 27th December 2008, 05:28   #122  |  Link
zeus163

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdobbs View Post
I would think this would be a bug in the PS3 that should be corrected via firmware at some point. A BD-5/9 is a legitimate part of the standard from what I see. What I'd like to explore is why a movie-only works and not a full backup when it is in the same disc format and file structure?
You're right. It is quite possibly a bug associated with the PS3. So, I wonder what needs to be done to get that in motion?

I'm also curious why a movie-only back-up works, but not a whole disc. Is there anything I can test for you? Won't be back until tomorrow, but I'm more than willing to help out in anyway that I can (or am able to understand).

Thanks!
zeus163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2008, 05:31   #123  |  Link
turbojet

OK, also I don't know if it makes a difference, but I noticed retail 480i clips use High@L3.2 profile with 2 reference frames.
turbojet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2008, 07:15   #124  |  Link
Sharc

Resuming an encode after PC shutdown did not work. I have to start from scratch.
Resuming worked when I aborted an encode in progress, but without shutting the PC down.
Sharc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2008, 08:21   #125  |  Link
prettyboy85712

Quote:
Is it a movie or a series disc. BD-RB selects the playlist that is longest... I guess it's possible that there may be something that is looping through the same M2TS files and appears to be longer... I ran into that once. What disc are you backup up?
Have similar problem with Terminator: Sarah Connor Chronicles. Multiple extra's features are incorrectly being selected in movie only mode.

prettyboy85712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2008, 09:11   #126  |  Link
Sharc

I run into this error during the 1-pass encode of one of the Extras. Not sure if it has anything to do with BD-RB.
- Error [01:-1073741819] returned from encoder. Retrying.
- Error [02:-1073741819] returned from encoder. Retrying.

Apparently retrying didn't help. A start from scratchg didn't help either. The error occurred at the same position. Maybe it's an x264 problem. I used version x264 core 65 r1061 839cd8c.
I will try again with an earlier version.

Added:
Earlier version of x264 (x264 core 65 r1057 5f8a149, shipped with BD-RB) didn't help.

Added2:
I reencoded the problematic clip successfully external to BD-RB:
- Created an index file using DGVC1IndexNV
- Encoded with x264, using CRF with about the same parameters as BD-RB.

Is there possibly an issue with the decoder / ffmpeg directshow?

Last edited by Sharc; 27th December 2008 at 10:24.
Old 27th December 2008, 11:15   #127  |  Link
turbojet

I ran into the same problem Sharc. In my case the problem was ffdshow couldn't decode a 480i h264 stream.
Is it an interlaced stream that it errors out on?

To work around it I changed to coreavc. DivX7 decoder would probably work too. Also maybe something can be tweaked in ffdshow to get it to decode, I didn't spend much time looking into it.
Old 27th December 2008, 12:01   #128  |  Link
Sharc

@turbojet:
Yes, interlaced. The Frame Structure actually toggles between Progressive and Frame Interlaced.
I have CoreAVC on my system. How did you change from ffdshow to CoreAVC? By editing all the avs scripts of BD-RB?
Old 27th December 2008, 13:26   #129  |  Link
turbojet

I disabled h264 decoding in ffdshow and coreavc was the next highest merit filter. You might also want to check preferred decoder in coreavc config. Loading the m2ts into Graphstudio/Graphedit will tell you what filter is decoding the video.
Old 27th December 2008, 13:39   #130  |  Link
jdobbs

I ran into a weird one this morning. I found that X264 kept crashing on the same segment. I rebooted my computer and it went away...
Old 27th December 2008, 13:41   #131  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbojet View Post
I ran into the same problem Sharc. In my case the problem was ffdshow couldn't decode a 480i h264 stream.
Is it an interlaced stream that it errors out on?

To work around it I changed to coreavc. DivX7 decoder would probably work too. Also maybe something can be tweaked in ffdshow to get it to decode, I didn't spend much time looking into it.
Hmm... I've done many, many 480i reencodes (or at least I think I have)... what disc were you running? Maybe in future releases I should include a standard FFDSHOW and AVISYNTH builds for installation within the ZIP file so we're all on the same sheet for testing.
Old 27th December 2008, 13:42   #132  |  Link
Sharc

@turbojet: Thanks. Will give it a try.

Im my case it seems that wmvdecod.dll made x264 to crash.
In ffdshow I selected wmv9 for VC-1 decoding, libav didnt work.

Last edited by Sharc; 27th December 2008 at 13:51.
Old 27th December 2008, 13:43   #133  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharc View Post
@turbojet:
Yes, interlaced. The Frame Structure actually toggles between Progressive and Frame Interlaced.
I have CoreAVC on my system. How did you change from ffdshow to CoreAVC? By editing all the avs scripts of BD-RB?
I was using CoreAVC in my earlier testing -- but found it to be too buggy. It seemed to drop frames and/or crash when it ran into issues.
Old 27th December 2008, 13:51   #134  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
I ran into a weird one this morning. I found that X264 kept crashing on the same segment. I rebooted my computer and it went away...
Never mind on this... it just crashed again. I went back to investigate and realized that ANYDVD couldn't handle that disc -- and it was still scrambled (massive blocking on both the hard drive and the original disc)...

This is something to remember for those who are getting X264 crashes -- if it was a protected disc, make sure it is being decrypted properly. X264 will surely crash on garbage input. You can tell by attempting to play back the AVS file in Media Player Classic (or another player).
Old 27th December 2008, 14:02   #135  |  Link
turbojet

Source I used was something like this.

I've seen a few video artifacts caused by coreavc and it seems they don't have much intention on fixing them. I tend to stay away from it when I can when encoding.

Oh for VC1 I use WMVideo Decoder DMO from windows media player 11. It's definitely the fastest and I haven't seen any issues so far, but I haven't tried interlaced streams. PowerDVD 8 decoder is another one.
Old 27th December 2008, 14:06   #136  |  Link
Sharc

Quote:
I was using CoreAVC in my earlier testing -- but found it to be too buggy. It seemed to drop frames and/or crash when it ran into issues.
If it helps I could upload a short sample of the source file which caused the problems. The rip seems to be ok in my case as I can play it in MPC and I could encode it via another decoder (DGVC1IndexNV + DGVC1DecodeNV.dll)
Old 27th December 2008, 16:17   #137  |  Link
turbojet

Just finished my first encode, came out at 4369 MB, which is the intended target?

I noticed DTS and AC3 were encoding even though this was in the ini
DTS_REENCODE=0
AC3_REENCODE=0
It did end up using the original audio streams so it was just an unneeded step in this case.
Old 27th December 2008, 16:36   #138  |  Link
TBL

@jdobbs

What I meant by my comment that something else besides the fixed .meta file comma.

There seems still to be something fishy about different regional settings. Changing the regional settings to English worked. Tested with v0.17.11.

I tested a few regional settings, here are the results:

Working:

- English (US)
- English (UK)
- Swedish (Sweden)

Not working (crashes if any audio stream is selected in VID):

- French (France)
- French (Canada)
- Finnish (Finland)
- Swedish (Finland)
- Norwegian (both)
TBL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2008, 17:49   #139  |  Link
Sharc

Quote:
Here my latest findings:
There are some files in the Extras (all VC-1) which cannot be properly decoded unless I am going via DGVC1 and CUVID server. The other decoders which I tried (ffdshow, WMVideo Decoder DMO) seem to fail. These difficult files seem to have in common that they are not purely progressive, but frame interlaced or consist of a mixture of progressive frames and interlaced frames -- according to DGVC1IndexNV.
No problems exist for pure progressive files (decoded with WMVideo Decoder DMO).
Old 27th December 2008, 18:04   #140  |  Link
turbojet

Could you post a link to a sample here and/or in the ffdshow thread?