Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > New and alternative video codecs
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 22nd May 2006, 23:02   #1  |  Link
mike_lee

How to stop using WMVideo decoder DMO?

For some reason in the last few weeks my PC has started using the 'WMVideo decoder DMO' for all wmv links - this bloated codec hogs all my CPU power, but I can't seem to make these codecs go away. And it seems like those are essential codecs, why would they suddenly start using 40-50% CPU for small WMV clips? Any tips any one?

I use MPC and ffdshow - you'll have to pry ffdShow out of my cold dead hands I fear so I can't give that up. I like to have many video windows going at once so CPU is important. This is a new thing (this intensive CPU usage) I have recently gotten a new Video Card ge force 7900 GTX) and started running in renderless mode

VRM9 Bilinear (PS 2.2.0)
mike_lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2006, 23:34   #2  |  Link
zambelli
Doom9ing since 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_lee
For some reason in the last few weeks my PC has started using the 'WMVideo decoder DMO' for all wmv links - this bloated codec hogs all my CPU power, but I can't seem to make these codecs go away. And it seems like those are essential codecs, why would they suddenly start using 40-50% CPU for small WMV clips? Any tips any one?

I use MPC and ffdshow - you'll have to pry ffdShow out of my cold dead hands I fear so I can't give that up. I like to have many video windows going at once so CPU is important. This is a new thing (this intensive CPU usage) I have recently gotten a new Video Card ge force 7900 GTX) and started running in renderless mode
Considering ffdshow has NEVER had support for WMV9 decoding, the truth is that your computer has ALWAYS used the WMVideo Decoder DMO for WMV9 decoding. Only WMV7 and WMV8 decoding is supported in Ffdshow, and WMV8 is apparently incomplete.

What WMP version do you have installed?
zambelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2006, 23:58   #3  |  Link
mike_lee

I have WMP 10 I think, it's been so long since I used it. In order to use virtualdub with wmv files I had to d/l some MS encode pack I think, but I uninstalled it trying to solve my problem.

I understand that WMV 9 will be played by this new codec, (MS' heavy handed big stupid way to handle high res) but the problem is every wmv or avi file has been taken over by this codec
Old 23rd May 2006, 00:14   #4  |  Link
zambelli
Doom9ing since 2001

Quote:
I have WMP 10 I think, it's been so long since I used it. In order to use virtualdub with wmv files I had to d/l some MS encode pack I think, but I uninstalled it trying to solve my problem.
WM Format SDK runtime gets installed with WMP - which contains all the latest WM codecs. WMV9 VCM can be installed on top of that.

Please try doing this:
1. Download WMP10 from here and reinstall it again.
2. Download WMV9 VCM from here and install it again.
3. Verify Ffdshow is configured only to handle non-Microsoft codecs. It's best to let WM codecs handle WMV decoding and doing this will avoid unnecessary conflicts.

Quote:
I understand that WMV 9 will be played by this new codec, (MS' heavy handed big stupid way to handle high res) but the problem is every wmv or avi file has been taken over by this codec
I think you have a misunderstanding of how exactly Microsoft codecs work. WMV Decoder DMO has nothing to do with high res.
If the WMV Decoder DMO is getting inserted into every decoding graph, clearly something is incorrectly registered on your system. WMV decoder can only register itself to handle a handful of WM codecs - and reinstalling WMP should take care of that.
Old 23rd May 2006, 02:17   #5  |  Link
mike_lee

I did that, and thank you for those tips. As often happens with these kind of threads you don't know what to say to explain your problem in a concise way - but often after a few responses it becomes clearer. So . . .

The new wmv decoders (WMVideo decoder DMO) are too processor intensive. Video clips that used to use 4% CPU now require 30% CPU - the same wmv file. I want to go back to the older wmv decoders and not use the newer ones at all. (except on WMV 9 files)
Old 23rd May 2006, 02:18   #6  |  Link
zambelli
Doom9ing since 2001

What do you mean by "new"? When did you last update the WM codecs or WMP?
Old 23rd May 2006, 17:34   #7  |  Link
mike_lee

Since I guess I am barking up the wrong tree I will keep on looking, now I'm thinking it's the color space I have been using. (YV12)

I come from the pro audio world, this stuff is a lot harder. And trying to learn on forums is difficult.
Old 23rd May 2006, 21:30   #8  |  Link
loretta80

Is there a way to install the codec to play wmv9 format without installing the wmp10? i'm not very happy with this player. i want to stay with zoomplayer.
loretta80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2006, 22:05   #9  |  Link
obieobieobie

Quote:
Originally Posted by loretta80
Is there a way to install the codec to play wmv9 format without installing the wmp10? i'm not very happy with this player. i want to stay with zoomplayer.
Just install WMP11 and continue to use Zoomplayer. Just don't let WMP take over the file associations and if it does, you can easily take them back within Zoomplayer.
obieobieobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2006, 22:56   #10  |  Link
zambelli
Doom9ing since 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by loretta80
You can get all the v9 codecs without the player by installing one of these codec packages:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...cdownload.aspx

We currently don't have an ETA for a similar v11 codec package.
Old 26th May 2006, 04:30   #11  |  Link
mike_lee

getting closer

I'm getting closer to my goal/fix. I unregistered the dll's (maybe wmvdmod.dll) and the audio one as well, checked the merits of lots of things. But even if I up the merit on quartz.dll the other direct x object still is favored (WMvideo decoder DMO). Maybe because I have Microsoft .NET Framework installed? Anyway, a lot of things became clear to me.

Dude! Why didn't anyone tell me you had to manually add the codecs and filters into mediaplayerc? (external filters) I thought it used magic. Haha - I will have to change my user name now, I have been using the k-lite pack for at least 2 years.

So it was a user issue after all.
Old 26th May 2006, 04:34   #12  |  Link
zambelli
Doom9ing since 2001

Quote:
I have been using the k-lite pack for at least 2 years.
Well there's your problem right there. All-in-one codec packs - bad!
Old 26th May 2006, 05:00   #13  |  Link
imcold
pencil artist

Bad are only the ones that don't allow you to select which codecs do you want to install. I had never problems with Nimo codec pack neither K-lite :P
imcold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2006, 08:33   #14  |  Link
zambelli
Doom9ing since 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by imcold
Bad are only the ones that don't allow you to select which codecs do you want to install. I had never problems with Nimo codec pack neither K-lite :P
I consider them "bad" because they're not thoroughly tested. The codecs are just bunched together without much regard for mutual compatibility. Do you think the "authors" really set aside a week of their time to make sure all applications work with all the packaged codecs in the right way? What about balancing filter merits? How about clean uninstall procedures? I highly doubt it.

The average user really doesn't need much more beyond MPEG-2, Ffdshow and possibly CoreAVC decoders installed these days. WM codecs are already preinstalled, so they're covered. Installing some shady codec pack is really not necessary, and IMHO, often has dire consequences.
Old 26th May 2006, 16:35   #15  |  Link
imcold
pencil artist

I happened to need just a small fraction from codec packs. I didn't had problems with filter merits neither. I think they are useful for people not being connected to Inet at home - just download the pack and get all you need for playing video content. But I agree on that it often has bad impact - if the user installs everything that's in the pack . Btw. I'm way off-topic, sorry.
imcold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2006, 01:40   #16  |  Link
mike_lee

I think the K-lite pack is great - it's on a different level from the average codec pack - mostly because of the codec tweak program. It doesn't dump a ton of sh1t on your PC like any Sony/Sonic product does, or ATI - god almighty the useless codecs they cursed me with.

Most people, even computer savvy people, have troubles understanding the codec issue and k-lite is a great way to get your files running fast.
Old 27th May 2006, 06:17   #17  |  Link
mike_lee

If I take a problematic file and render it using GraphEdit (which uses active movie - man I wish I could use that as a player) the file only uses 3% CPU. Is there a way to rework the file using the pins I want? I.E. I get it working in GraphEdit but I can only play that file through GraphEdit, how can I save the file to use in MPC, or re render it using the filters I desire? Is that what changing the 4CC thing is about?

myfile.wmv < --- >WMVideo Decoder DMO < --- > Video Renderer

Using any of my 4 players (MPC, ZOOM, Elecard, WMP) results in 30-40 CPU usage, with Media Player Classic having the worst performance (that shocked me) and Windows Media Player 11 having the best (also a shock)

Then I went into my BIOS and changed the hyper-threading to "on" and I got it down to 15=20% CPU usage and I'm giving up here. So I guess when it comes to video the PC uses both processors.

Last edited by mike_lee; 27th May 2006 at 06:21.
Old 8th November 2006, 13:44   #18  |  Link
mike_lee

I hae to research more, what I wrote is not correct

Last edited by mike_lee; 8th November 2006 at 13:59.
Old 9th November 2006, 19:56   #19  |  Link
BlindWanderer
Brain Dead

just an fyi, new tryout versions of ffdshow have incomplete support for wmv3/9 (as opposed to no support, this is a good thing).