Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > (HD) DVD & Blu-ray authoring

Old 16th January 2002, 20:00   #1  |  Link
SkoalWintergreen

Lord of the Rings SVCD to DVD

Okay I know DVD dosent' support the SVCD resolutions and all but I wanted to know if it is possible to convert it over to DVD with reencoding and everything, can I combine the 4 discs into one Mpeg and then split the huge MPEG into movie and sound, then re-encode the video using CCE, witch I have no idea what the settings would need to be, then would i be able to use the mp2? or do I need to re-encode the sound? then obviously I assume I could put it back together with something like DVD-IT or what not. Anyone know how to do it?
Old 17th January 2002, 06:10   #2  |  Link
Nahie

Check out this thread:

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?threadid=12676

and this page:

http://www.offeryn.de/dv.htm

There is a util on that page called "AVestensione" that can patch 480x480 mpeg2 files to make DVD Maestro (and maybe other authoring programs?) see the MPEG as 352x480, which is a valid DVD resolution. So maybe it is possible to author and create a DVD with SVCD resolution, even if it isn't technically supported. Now the only question is: can players play such a DVD and what would it look like? Stretched? Squished? Hmm... looks like some testing is in order...

UPDATE: Okay, I tried this. I got a PAL SVCD file and patched it with the AVestensione tool listed above. I had to re-encode the audio to 48 khz, but didn't re-encode the video, which had a resolution of 480x576 (PAL). I then imported the video and audio into DVD Maestro and made a short DVD, re-patched the .vob file Maestro output, then burned to a DVD-RW. Here are the results:

Software DVD players (WinDVD 2.1 and DirectDVD 2.5) Play the patched DVD perfectly! It is stretched to the full window!

Hardware decoders (Hollywood Plus and Netstream 2000) Play the patched DVD perfectly!

Standalone player (Pioneer 343) Recognizes the disc as DVD and plays it, but keeps the vertical resolution at 480, so it only fills 2/3 of the screen Maybe the ifoedit guy can make a patch to have it fill the screen???

So the good news is...it can be done, but only if you play the DVD in software players or with hardware decoders, not standalones.

-Nahie

Last edited by Nahie; 17th January 2002 at 07:43.
Nahie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2002, 11:34   #3  |  Link
MustaZERO

Im transcoding LOTR svcd dvd rip as we speak. I'm just transcoding the video in cce (using avisynth to merge the 4 seperate parts), converting the audio to ac3 in soft encode and making some menus in after effects. There are several ways you can go about converting it, but I prefer to transcode then try and fool a program to accept non compliant video that may not play right in my standalone.
MustaZERO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2002, 14:57   #4  |  Link
Methanoid

Quote:
Originally posted by Nahie
UPDATE: Okay, I tried this. I got a PAL SVCD file and patched it with the AVestensione tool listed above. I had to re-encode the audio to 48 khz, but didn't re-encode the video, which had a resolution of 480x576 (PAL). I then imported the video and audio into DVD Maestro and made a short DVD, re-patched the .vob file Maestro output, then burned to a DVD-RW. Here are the results:

Software DVD players (WinDVD 2.1 and DirectDVD 2.5) Play the patched DVD perfectly! It is stretched to the full window!

Hardware decoders (Hollywood Plus and Netstream 2000) Play the patched DVD perfectly!

Standalone player (Pioneer 343) Recognizes the disc as DVD and plays it, but keeps the vertical resolution at 480, so it only fills 2/3 of the screen Maybe the ifoedit guy can make a patch to have it fill the screen???
-Nahie [/B]
Nahie, try this program as well and report back if it works...

http://www.geocities.com/eby_vdo/

I'm expecting my DVR-A03 real soon and would love to be able to ditch that pile of SVCDs. This program allows all sorts of tweaks to the MPEG stream headers, you could mark it as 352*576 or 720*576 and see if either works?

Meth
Methanoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2002, 22:05   #5  |  Link
Arky

fascinating!!

I never knew you could fool Maestro in this manner. Great information -

"I learned something today!"

Arky ;o)
Arky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2002, 00:42   #6  |  Link
Nahie

Progress is being made. I have now been able to get the SVCD resolution MPEG file to play full screen on my Pioneer 343 by having the player switch over to VCD/SVCD decoding after starting in DVD mode...the only problem now is the audio skips...which I think is because I converted it to 48 khz, and the SVCD decoder wants 44.1. I will keep you all updated.

UPDATE: It works. I have successfully made a DVD from a SVCD MPEG file (without re-encoding the video file) that plays at perfect resolution on my Pioneer DVD 343 player. I got this working as mentioned above, but it seems that my player doesn't like MPEG audio for this, but when I converted the MPEG Layer 2 44.1 khz SVCD soundtrack to 48 khz AC-3 or .WAV (PCM) it played fine.

What does this mean? No, you don't have to re-encode your SVCD video MPEG files to get them to play on your DVD player, even if they are 480x480. I have only tested this with my equipment but it seems to be working fine. I will do a complete test with a long movie later this week, after it finishes downloading There are probably a lot of players that it won't work on but then there are probably many that it will.

@Methanoid

I couldn't get that utility to work...it would crash on all the files I tried it on.

Last edited by Nahie; 18th January 2002 at 03:08.
Old 18th January 2002, 09:21   #7  |  Link
Methanoid

Nahie

What did U do differently then this time to fix the aspect ratio business?
Methanoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2002, 20:43   #8  |  Link
SkoalWintergreen

Woah? what did you do to get it to switch over how exactly did you go about getting this to play? write us a little more details on the process? thanks.
Old 18th January 2002, 21:24   #9  |  Link
Nahie

Well, it isn't too easy right now but I'm looking for some tools that will make it much easier. Until I find them, this is the process...

Here are the tools you need right now:

1 - AVestensione (download it from www.offeryn.com) ****this tool only works for PAL files right now, NTCS has a bug and it won't work, but I have emailed the author and hopefully he will fix it****
2 - MPEG Repair 1.58 or higher from Pixel Tools
3 - Spruce DVD Maestro 2.x
4 - Misc tools to demux MPEG streams and encode AC-3, and convert audio to 48 khz (you can use many tools for these tasks, I use Womble MPEG VCR to demux mpeg streams, Winamp to convert .mpa to .wav, Scenarist AC-3 encoder to encode AC-3, and Adobe Premier to convert audio from 44.1 khz to 48)
5 - DVD burner and burning software of course

1) Demux your SVCD MPEG2 file into audio and video.
2) Convert the audio into 48 khz .wav or .ac-3
3) Use AVestensione to patch the mpeg video header (you may need to rename it to *.mpg instead of *.mpv) If you have NTSC files that aren't too big, you can use a hex editor to edit the first header to show 352 x 480 instead of 480 x 480. I'm still looking for a better solution for NTSC files...
4) Here is the tricky part...you must use MPEG Repair to patch the MPEG file to include Pan and Scan information. The MPEG spec allows you to specify a pan and scan portion of the mpeg file. You must tell it to use 480 x 480 as the pan and scan profile, so that the DVD player will show this area in full screen on your TV.
5) Import the files into DVD Maestro and author as a regular DVD, setting the aspect ratio of the movie to "16*9 LB/PS."
6) Burn to DVD-R(W).
7) Put the disc in your standalone. You now have to set your player
to display Pan and Scan. I don't know how to do this on all players but my Pioneer 343 has this setting in the setup menu, and I suppose other players are similar.

That is all. I have even done still frame captures and the video aspect ratio on this hacked DVD matches the SVCD one. So there you have it.

Things to do:

1) See if mpeg audio files can be patched to make maestro see it as 48khz. My guess is that this can be done, and the players can play it. But I haven't been able to figure this out yet.
2) Better (freeware) tools. Most people don't have Pixeltools MPEG repair, and this is a relatively expensive, buggy and hard to use tool. Using a hex editor I can see that all it does is add pan and scan output to MPEG files. This is easy to add, but I'm not a programmer (yet). Also need a tool for NTSC file header patches.

That is all for now
-Nahie
Old 18th January 2002, 21:32   #10  |  Link
mikeathome

@Arky and others:

It's sufficient to patch the stream on time before importing into (e.g. Maestro), than import and after that (close Maestro or just the project) and immmediately re-patch the stream back to original. Maestro (and others) moan about wrong resolution only at import, they later on work with the original resolution video normally. Only one drawback with Maestro, there's NO thumbnail preview available, which is a bit hard to navigate but normal preview will work as expected (even aspect ration is ok).
Patch only the first header. Be aware when you mix different resolutions it's basically impossible to repatch the resoulation in the VOB later on. That's why we've 'invented' the immediate re-patch.

There you go, an exellent resolution patcher, PAL only, maybe we mail the author to implement NTSC and Pan Scan info, shouldn't be that difficult.

http://kickme.to/DVDPatcher

mike

Last edited by mikeathome; 18th January 2002 at 21:39.
mikeathome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2002, 21:40   #11  |  Link
robinsj

Huh??

Mikeathome: I am just a newbie... and i don't really understand what you mean when you say patch on time... and then repatch immediataly... could you please explain the steps you are talking about??
robinsj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2002, 22:05   #12  |  Link
Nahie

Thanks Mikeathome. I had heard about that program but couldn't find a copy anywhere. And good news...version 102a works for NTSC files! It has a custom resolution where you can enter any resolution, so you can enter 352 x 480. Remember to only patch the first header. I imported this file into Maestro and it works fine.

-Nahie
Old 18th January 2002, 22:16   #13  |  Link
robinsj

Help

I have just tried this dvd patcher that is supposed to work with NTSC... It didn't, It smushes the video up into the top... about 1 inch wide... and then a whole bunch of green.... am i doing something wrong?
Old 18th January 2002, 22:40   #14  |  Link
Nahie

Well it worked fine for me. Make sure you:

1: patch it to NTSC 352x480 or 720x480 using the "custom" size setting(obviously)
2: Keep the bitrate field the same (copy the value in the right box to the custom bitrate tab).

What decoder did you try? I played my patched files with the elecard player (www.elecard.com) and it played perfectly. Like mikeathome said, it won't display properly in Maestro's thumbnail window, but it will when you use the software/hardware previewer.
Old 18th January 2002, 22:46   #15  |  Link
robinsj

Great...

Okay I did that... and using that decoder from elecard it worked.. but now when i try and import it to maestro... it give me the media not supported error... how are you putting the video into maestro
Old 18th January 2002, 22:47   #16  |  Link
robinsj

Also

Also does the audio still need to be re-encoded??
Old 18th January 2002, 22:50   #17  |  Link
Nahie

Same way you import anything into maestro. Yes, the audio still has to be re-encoded. You could make a DVD-RW with just the video to test if your player can even do this first, before bothering to go further. It sounds like your MPEG file has been screwed up somewhere. You did patch just the first header, didn't you?
Old 18th January 2002, 22:52   #18  |  Link
robinsj

I did patch the first header.... with that elecard decoder... did you notice it puts that little white box up in the upper right hand corner.. and the video kinda plays shaky? will it does this on the standalone to?
Old 18th January 2002, 22:55   #19  |  Link
Nahie

The little white box is a watermark...because the elecard player is shareware. No, it will not do this on the standalone. The video was not shaky for me but it had block errors during playback. Again, this will not happen on the standalone player (if your player can decode SVCD at that bitrate in the first place).
Old 19th January 2002, 00:15   #20  |  Link
robinsj

Okay, I think I am getting there... but I am having trouble keeping the audio and video in sync with each other.... i am demuxing with mpeg2vcr .... converting the mpa to wav with sound forge, encodeing the wav to ac3 with softencode... and remuxing with bbmpeg... but the audio is slower then the vidoe??? with my final output