Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > (HD) DVD & Blu-ray authoring

Old 18th May 2009, 16:22   #1  |  Link
Ghitulescu

Mixing PAL with NTSC ...

I know this is illegal however I've done this in the past and the DVD worked perfectly on all my players (I have 4) and many others. I have yet to see a player that rejects such a mixed DVD, here in Europe.

So, where can one find such a DVD authoring software?

Thanks

-------------

In case you wonder how I made such DVDs, here's the process:

1. obtain the footage into DVD compliant files
2. create a PAL project(I used TMPGenc DVD Author since I'm too lazy to check others)
3. create all tracks
3.a. PAL files should be imported as such
3.b. NTSC files are replaced by "dummy" PAL files
4. create the menu as you like
5. compile the PAL DVD and obtain a VIDEO_TS folder

6. do the same with a NTSC project, however, to speed the things import only the NTSC files (keep in mind the numbering).
7. create the menu as in step 4. It's not difficult as the templates are rather finite in version 1.5
8. compile the NTSC DVD

9. all you have now to do is to rename the files in NTSC disc to their equivalents in PAL (hopefully you remember their correct index)
10. copy them onto the "dummy" ones
11. run IFOedit and FixVTS to correct things, like sector numbers and pointers

Bingo.

Last edited by Ghitulescu; 19th May 2009 at 07:26.
Ghitulescu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2009, 22:30   #2  |  Link
setarip_old

@Ghitulescu

Actually, I believe I read a post at either Doom9's Forum or another, that this can be simply and directly accomplished using "DVDFlick"...
setarip_old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2009, 07:43   #3  |  Link
Ghitulescu

Quote:
Originally Posted by setarip_old View Post
@Ghitulescu

Actually, I believe I read a post at either Doom9's Forum or another, that this can be simply and directly accomplished using "DVDFlick"...
What a coincidence I've learned just one day before about DVD Flick in another thread here, looked for it in Google (http://www.dvdflick.net/features.php) but I thought to be another one-click software, mainly designed to take eg a MOV file and to make a DVD out of it. I hate to fill my HDD with thousands of pieces of software, especially when their requirements contradict each other (see eg -> http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...20#post1286820).

Maybe it's time to set up a virtual PC on my computer, you know for safe testing all these new softwares.

Last edited by Ghitulescu; 19th May 2009 at 12:18. Reason: grammar
Old 19th May 2009, 08:16   #4  |  Link
scharfis_brain
brainless

it is officially possible to mix NTSC and PAL on DVDs.
You just have to put PAL and NTSC into different VTS'.
Then use a playlist to play them in any order you like.

Don't PM me for technical support, please.
scharfis_brain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2009, 12:16   #5  |  Link
Ghitulescu

Quote:
Originally Posted by scharfis_brain View Post
it is officially possible to mix NTSC and PAL on DVDs.
You just have to put PAL and NTSC into different VTS'.
Then use a playlist to play them in any order you like.
That's the point. It is not oficially allowed. Therefore almost every DVD authoring software asks you from the beginning what type of project do you want to realize: NTSC or PAL.

You can mix 16:9 with 4:3 (not in the same VTS though) or different audio types (again not in the same VTS). But you cannot mix NTSC with PAL and say that's a DVD, because it's not and therefore it should not bear the DVD logo.

But I'm glad to hear that you've done this with a piece of software and no tricks. Please share its name with us.
Old 19th May 2009, 12:22   #6  |  Link
Ghitulescu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghitulescu View Post
That's the point. It is not oficially allowed. Therefore almost every DVD authoring software asks you from the beginning what type of project do you want to realize: NTSC or PAL.

You can mix 16:9 with 4:3 (not in the same VTS though) or different audio types (again not in the same VTS). But you cannot mix NTSC with PAL and say that's a DVD, because it's not and therefore it should not bear the DVD logo.

But I'm glad to hear that you've done this with a piece of software and no tricks. Please share its name with us.
Got the text:
Quote:
"The DVD specification supports the MPEG video information on a DVD disc in one of the two formats required for incompatible television systems: the 525/60 NTSC or 625/50 PAL/SECAM video standard. The program material recorded on a DVD disc can belong to only one of the two video standards, not both. This restriction applies to only one side of the DVD. If a DVD disc is double-sided, the video on one side can be recorded in 525/60 NTSC format, and the video on the other side can be 625/50 PAL. This is because the contents on one side are unrelated to the contents on the opposite side. However, such a disc is rare in production. In general, there are two types of DVD-Video discs commonly known as NTSC DVDs and PAL DVDs."
Old 19th May 2009, 16:23   #7  |  Link
scharfis_brain
brainless

I used DVDLab-Pro

Don't PM me for technical support, please.
scharfis_brain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2011, 17:16   #8  |  Link
Chibs

Why the choice for PAL from the beginning? Are menus and such PAL or NTSC specific, i.e. does an NTSC DVD player / TV not show the PAL menu due to it's different signal?
Chibs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2011, 15:02   #9  |  Link
Ghitulescu

I live in a PAL country, so the tools I have have PAL as their default setting. Besides, the NTSC material I have is almost irrelevant in comparison to the native PAL. Call it laziness.