Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > DVD & BD Rebuilder

Old 14th August 2016, 23:21   #24721  |  Link
Lathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ascottj View Post
I have made numerous encoding attempts on IP Man 3 Blu-ray, but the subtitles simply will not sync ... first time I have come across this issue. The subtitles are in sync when playing the AnyDVD HD rip. What elements should I address in BD-RD to attempt to correct the subtitle syncing?
I don't know why the subs are off in BDRB, but any easy fix would be that you could use a free subtitle program like Subtitle Workshop or Subtitle Edit and if you can extract the subtitle track from your m2ts file and drop it in one of these, then simply adjust the delay / advance timing, save it, and remux it back in.
Lathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2016, 01:13   #24722  |  Link
DoctorM

Quote:
I have made numerous encoding attempts on IP Man 3 Blu-ray, but the subtitles simply will not sync ... first time I have come across this issue. The subtitles are in sync when playing the AnyDVD HD rip. What elements should I address in BD-RD to attempt to correct the subtitle syncing?
Ran into this problem with Underworld Awakening. Here's what I did: http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...47#post1734647
DoctorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2016, 02:01   #24723  |  Link
KaraokeAmerica

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdobbs View Post
But SBS is much more common, and as long as you stay with full-SBS there would be no loss. The only time you would use half-SBS for playback on a standalone player would be if you had created and were using an MKV or MP4 file and was forcing 3D during playback.
"Standalone player"? Do you mean a physical disk player or standalone software player? I generally use Plex to serve my media. I create 3D, TAB MKV's for this purpose as a rule, but I am open to other options if they are superior.
KaraokeAmerica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2016, 02:06   #24724  |  Link
ascottj

Thank you for the advice, Lathe and DoctorM. I will give your suggestions a try to find out which one I can actually grasp. The solution(s) have to be less frustrating than trying to keep up with the out-of-sync subtitles.
ascottj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2016, 06:55   #24725  |  Link
DoctorM

Quote:
Thank you for the advice, Lathe and DoctorM. I will give your suggestions a try to find out which one I can actually grasp. The solution(s) have to be less frustrating than trying to keep up with the out-of-sync subtitles.
Good luck. I'm pretty sure it's a tsMuxeR bug, not BD Rebuilder.
Old 15th August 2016, 08:10   #24726  |  Link
Lathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorM View Post
Good luck. I'm pretty sure it's a tsMuxeR bug, not BD Rebuilder.
Speaking of which... I'm not sure that TSMuxer will allow you to adjust the delay / advance of subtitles (you CAN adjust the advance / delay of audio) So, if you can, it will be SUPER easy because then you just drop the movie m2ts file that BDRB just created (in the BDMV folder / STREAM folder) into TSMuxer and highlight the subtitle and adjust the timing and then re-render the m2ts file (or BDMV folder if all you have is the movie)
Old 15th August 2016, 11:50   #24727  |  Link
MrVideo

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraokeAmerica View Post
"Standalone player"? Do you mean a physical disk player or standalone software player? I generally use Plex to serve my media. I create 3D, TAB MKV's for this purpose as a rule, but I am open to other options if they are superior.
Standalone player normally means a physical Blu-ray player, as it is standalone. No other hardware or software needed in order to play Blu-ray discs. Requiring a display of some sort, not included.

Software players are not standalone as they require other hardware/OS in order to be able to work.
MrVideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2016, 18:18   #24728  |  Link
geheim

Hi,
I've got a Problem with the Blu-ray Disc of "Maze Runner". BD Rebuilder always crashes while encoding 3D sources.

Here is the log:
Code:
----------------------
[08.15.16] BD Rebuilder v0.50.17
[19:15:09] Source:  MAZE_RUNNER
  - Input BD size: 42,02 GB
  - Approximate total content: [04:30:29.794]
  - Target BD size: 22,95 GB
  - Windows Version: 6.2 [9200]
  - Quality: High Quality (Default), ABR
  - MVC 3D Output Mode enabled
  - Decoding/Frame serving: FRIMDecode
  - Audio Settings: AC3=0 DTS=0 HD=1 Kbs=640
- Resuming from previously started job.
[19:15:11] PHASE ONE, Encoding
 - [19:15:11] Processing: VID_00232 (33 of 41)
 - [19:15:11] Reencoding video [VID_00232]
   - Source Video: MPEG-4 (AVC), 1920x1080
   - Rate/Length: 23,976fps, 11.780 frames
   - Bitrate: 15.981 Kbs
   - Using FRIMEncoder for MVC encoding
 - [19:15:11] Reencoding: VID_00232, Pass 1 of 1
[19:16:12] - Failed video encode, aborted

And my ini file:

Code:
[Options]
MODE=0
TARGET_SIZE=23500
AUDIO_TO_KEEP=all
SUBS_TO_KEEP=all
SD_CONVERT=0
COLOR_BOOST=0
RESIZE_1080=0
DTS_REENCODE=0
AC3_REENCODE=0
AC3_640=1
KEEP_HD_AUDIO=1
AVCHD=1
REMOVE_WORKFILES=1
AUDIO_TRACK_LIMIT=0
SUBTITLE_TRACK_LIMIT=0
CUSTOM_TARGET_SIZE=18000
PRIORITY_CLASS=0
ENCODE_QUALITY=2
QUICK_EXTRAS=0
VERSION=0.50.0.17
ONEPASS_ENCODING=0
AUTO_QUALITY=0
OPEN_GOP=0
DEINTERLACE=0
SD_TO_1080=0
CONVERT_WIDE=0
AC3_192=0
MOVIE_ONLY_LOOP=1
REMOVE_OUTPUT=0
USE_FILTERS=0
BDMV_CERT_ONLY=0
USE_LAVF=0
IVTC_PULLDOWN=1
ASSUME_DVD_PAL=0
UNMASK_CHAPTER=0
COMPLETION_BEEP=0
DGDECNV=0
RESIZE_1440=0
RESIZE_720=0
IGNORE_3D=0
OUTPUT_SBS=0
NEROAAC=0
SUPTITLE=0
FRIMSOURCE=0
OVERRIDE_AVCHD_AUDIO_LIMIT=1
ENCODER=0
DECODER=2
SUPPRESS_FF_WARNING=1
OUTPUT_3D_ISO=1
FRIM_SW_DECODE=0
FRIM_SW_ENCODE=1
AUDIO_DRC=0
PGSTOSRT=0
If anyone could help me figuring out what is going wrong, I'd really appreciate it!
Thanks!!
geheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2016, 19:20   #24729  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathe View Post
Just a quick comment about how WILDLY different the file sizes are coming out for me in compressing Blu-rays at a CRF of 18. I was just REALLY surprised at the differences.

For example, I did 'LEPRECHAUN 3' (of all films) and the original movie file size was about 17 Gigs and only compressed to about 9 Gigs, which was larger than most of the ones I've done. Then, I did a newer Blu-ray with the movie file size about about 19 Gigs and it came out to 2.3 Gigs! WOW, what a difference. Granted the Leprechaun film has a lot of visuals and action and the other film is more sedate visually, but still...

So, if all my settings are the same and I am re-encoding using a CRF of 18, the 'perceived' quality should still be roughly about the same, right? Even with the extreme disparity in file sizes?
Yes they should be.
Old 16th August 2016, 00:30   #24730  |  Link
DoctorM

Since FRIM is inferior in speed and quality to X264, would it be possible for 3D sources to use x264 for encoding the AVC portion and FRIM for the MVC portion, or in fact encode the AVC with x264 while leaving the MVC untouched?

The latter sounds silly, but MVC seems to be fairly efficient already come in around a third of the bitrate, while using a more efficient encoder on the AVC portion would allow you to steal more space from that.

If AVC and MVC can be kept on separate .M2TS files I would THINK it might be possible, or are their data is too tightly integrated to allow this sort of thing?
Old 16th August 2016, 04:19   #24731  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Since FRIM is inferior in speed and quality to X264, would it be possible for 3D sources to use x264 for encoding the AVC portion and FRIM for the MVC portion, or in fact encode the AVC with x264 while leaving the MVC untouched?

The latter sounds silly, but MVC seems to be fairly efficient already come in around a third of the bitrate, while using a more efficient encoder on the AVC portion would allow you to steal more space from that.

If AVC and MVC can be kept on separate .M2TS files I would THINK it might be possible, or are their data is too tightly integrated to allow this sort of thing?
The two are linked too closely. I don't see how it would be possible.
Old 16th August 2016, 04:41   #24732  |  Link
DoctorM

Quote:
The two are linked too closely. I don't see how it would be possible.
Just a thought. Kind of surprised x264 never took on 3D.
Old 16th August 2016, 05:26   #24733  |  Link
Sharc

Quote:
Just a thought. Kind of surprised x264 never took on 3D.
It did some time ago, but the mvc fork hasn't been followed up since.
Sharc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2016, 05:27   #24734  |  Link
Lathe

Quote:
Yes they should be.
Amazing how that works!

I think that I read that when doing a 2 pass encode set for a certain size (say BD-25 for example) that basically x264 is analyzing and determining what CRF to use for the entire encode, right? So, it's the same as if you already KNEW the precise CRF to use in order to render that size, right?

So, when BDRB is set to do a 2 pass for a BD-25, is there any way to know what CRF value it ultimate chooses (or will choose) in order to create the resulting size? Seems like you told me recently that you somehow figured out that doing a full BD-25 encode of a film would use a CRF of 12.5. How did you determine that?

And conversely, when BDRB tells us this after extracting the A/V files:

- Rate/Length: 23.976fps, 202,033 frames
- Bitrate: 19,277 Kbs

Does that mean that that will be the RESULTING AVERAGE bit rate after the encode, or what? Because if it is determining what CRF to use in the 2nd pass, then that number cannot be a CONSTANT bit rate for the resulting encode, right?

Last edited by Lathe; 16th August 2016 at 05:32. Reason: More stuff...
Old 16th August 2016, 06:30   #24735  |  Link
Sharc

@Lathe
How to find out the "ultimate" CRF for a given target size:
Run BDRB in 1-pass CRF prediction mode, i.e. remove the FIXED_CRF= in your .ini, and select 1-pass CRF encode and select a target size.
BDRB then runs a number of short CRF prediction steps (kind of trial and error learning) to find out the "final" CRF which will produce the target file size. This "final" CRF is then used in the subsequent 1-pass CRF encoding.
During the CRF prediction phase you will see in the log how CRF develops towards the "final" CRF.
Sharc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2016, 09:06   #24736  |  Link
kufo

[QUOTE=geheim;1777145]Hi,
I've got a Problem with the Blu-ray Disc of "Maze Runner". BD Rebuilder always crashes while encoding 3D sources.

First of all: Maze Runner isnīt a 3D source. Youīll have to set your settings correctly for encoding such sources.
Why do you use a custom size of 18000? Itīs to big for DVD and to small for Blu-Ray
There many settings that make not really sense for me
On the other hand there are settings missing
Take a look on the HIDDENOPTS folder...
I did this film in Code B without issues.
kufo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2016, 09:26   #24737  |  Link
geheim

Quote:
Originally Posted by kufo View Post
First of all: Maze Runner isnīt a 3D source. Youīll have to set your settings correctly for encoding such sources.
Why do you use a custom size of 18000? Itīs to big for DVD and to small for Blu-Ray
There many settings that make not really sense for me
On the other hand there are settings missing
Take a look on the HIDDENOPTS folder...
I did this film in Code B without issues.
Thanks for your answer @kufo!

Maze Runner has some extras on it that are in 3D! The main movie is not, that's right, but the extras are and I'd like to keep them in 3D for my BD25 backup. That's why FRIM is used for the backup process.

The custom size is wrong in deed, I'll change that, but as I did not use the custom size for Maze Runner this should have no influence on this issue...

What Settings are missing that could have any influence on 3D backups?? I did not find any...

Did you do a full backup on your disc (and keeping 3D extras in 3D) or a movie-only??

Thanks and I'd appreciate any further tips!!
geheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2016, 14:35   #24738  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathe View Post
Amazing how that works!

I think that I read that when doing a 2 pass encode set for a certain size (say BD-25 for example) that basically x264 is analyzing and determining what CRF to use for the entire encode, right? So, it's the same as if you already KNEW the precise CRF to use in order to render that size, right?

So, when BDRB is set to do a 2 pass for a BD-25, is there any way to know what CRF value it ultimate chooses (or will choose) in order to create the resulting size? Seems like you told me recently that you somehow figured out that doing a full BD-25 encode of a film would use a CRF of 12.5. How did you determine that?

And conversely, when BDRB tells us this after extracting the A/V files:

- Rate/Length: 23.976fps, 202,033 frames
- Bitrate: 19,277 Kbs

Does that mean that that will be the RESULTING AVERAGE bit rate after the encode, or what? Because if it is determining what CRF to use in the 2nd pass, then that number cannot be a CONSTANT bit rate for the resulting encode, right?
Two pass is actually the reverse of CRF. In CRF you are setting a desired quality level -- and the bitrate is the result of the need to keep that level. In two pass you have a fixed bitrate (computed by the requirement to hit the output target size selected). In the first pass, the encoder is determining how to distribute that bitrate across all scenes/picture elements in order to get the best quality -- with the bitrate available. In the second pass it is applying what it learned to an actual encode.

BD-RB's prediction phase tries to perform a hybrid of the two. It encodes a subset of the scenes/picture elements in the source and tries to find what CRF will result in the required target size. It then encodes using that CRF. The price for that is accuracy. Two pass is always very, very close to the desired output size. Predicted CRF will often undersize or oversize by some small amount. Not much -- but not perfect.

You are right. It is an AVERAGE bitrate. The first pass (of a two pass encode) determines where it is necessary to use higher rates (difficult scenes) and where bitrate can be lowered (simpler scenes). There is also a specified maximum bitrate (set by the fastest transfer rate a BD disc's spin speed can accommodate, for example)

Last edited by jdobbs; 16th August 2016 at 14:41.
jdobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2016, 20:17   #24739  |  Link
MrVideo

Quote:
Originally Posted by geheim View Post
Maze Runner has some extras on it that are in 3D!
I've never heard of anyone releasing a 2D disc with 3D extras. The case would have to indicate that 3D material exists.

Does the disc have a STREAMS/SSIF directory?
MrVideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2016, 02:33   #24740  |  Link
DoctorM

I personally let BD Rebuilder determine the CRF for my target disc size, and then strip more/less stuff (and adjust the encode speed) until I like the CRF #.
I then let BD RB do a 2-pass encoding.

I figure that gives me better quality than 1-pass, but an idea of the expected quality because of the calculated CRF number guides how I tweak things.

For example, today I'm encoding a BD that is a movie with no extras but 35gb.
I was able to determine that keeping the DTS HD MA audio track untouched the CRF would be 17.3.
That's more than enough. If I didn't do the CRF test first I would have unnecessarily stripped the lossless audio track.

Last edited by DoctorM; 17th August 2016 at 07:38.