Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Avisynth Usage
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 1st November 2006, 20:43   #381  |  Link
qwerpoi

Question for multi-monitor users. Does AvsP appropriately remember the program's position when it starts up, or does it always start up on the primary monitor? I guess it depends on how your multi-monitor desktop is setup, to either use a single large desktop across monitors or separate desktop units. The reason I need to know is because I want to make sure the separate external preview window shows up on the correct monitor, I may need to dig into more details to get it to work properly.
qwerpoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2006, 21:25   #382  |  Link
krisq

I've got one large desktop and avsp is always starting on primary display for me.
Old 1st November 2006, 21:36   #383  |  Link
qwerpoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisq View Post
I've got one large desktop and avsp is always starting on primary display for me.
Just to clarify, you're saying that when you move AvsP to the secondary monitor and close it, the next time it incorrectly starts up on the primary monitor? Another question - does the maximized setting get remembered correctly? I'm not sure how it's supposed to work, for a single large desktop it seems like a maximized program would take up all monitors, but that sounds strange. Regardless, does AvsP show up maximized properly on startup, or does it only maximize on the primary monitor?
Old 1st November 2006, 21:57   #384  |  Link
krisq

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerpoi View Post
Just to clarify, you're saying that when you move AvsP to the secondary monitor and close it, the next time it incorrectly starts up on the primary monitor?
Exactly.
Quote:
Another question - does the maximized setting get remembered correctly? I'm not sure how it's supposed to work, for a single large desktop it seems like a maximized program would take up all monitors, but that sounds strange. Regardless, does AvsP show up maximized properly on startup, or does it only maximize on the primary monitor
It's maximizing properly, only on the primary display. One thing though and I think it's a bug. Maximize state is remembered correctly between sessions but if I 'unmaximize', it's returning to the size of the desktop and not the size before maximizing.
Old 2nd November 2006, 16:03   #385  |  Link
ChrisW77

great program, very useful.

But, is there any way of making the user slider move using values of 2 ?
For example, ChromaShift(C=-2), and I need to adjust to -4/-6/-8, as you can only use even numbers, would be soo handy to see in a real-time window, as opposed to opening and closing vdub and notepad.
ChrisW77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2006, 18:26   #386  |  Link
foxyshadis
Angel of Night

Can you add a *2 after the slider text?
foxyshadis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2006, 20:08   #387  |  Link
qwerpoi

Quote:
It's maximizing properly, only on the primary display. One thing though and I think it's a bug. Maximize state is remembered correctly between sessions but if I 'unmaximize', it's returning to the size of the desktop and not the size before maximizing.
Yep, I knew about this bug before releasing v1.3.1, thanks for bringing it up, though. Basically you wouldn't believe the issues you run into when trying to layout windows when the windows don't yet exist, a lot of weirdness ensues. But I managed to get it working, so it will be fixed for the next release (coming very soon...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisW77 View Post
great program, very useful.

But, is there any way of making the user slider move using values of 2 ?
For example, ChromaShift(C=-2), and I need to adjust to -4/-6/-8, as you can only use even numbers, would be soo handy to see in a real-time window, as opposed to opening and closing vdub and notepad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxyshadis View Post
Can you add a *2 after the slider text?
Actually it's a % 2, so your slider should look like [<"c % 2", -8, -4, -6>] - you can read more about it here (at the end of the "Basic usage" section). I am aware that on a technical level that's not the best way to name it, foxyshadis' notation is more accurate - what can I say, I'm not a technical guy .

Last edited by qwerpoi; 2nd November 2006 at 20:18.
Old 2nd November 2006, 21:33   #388  |  Link
foxyshadis
Angel of Night

Oh, I just meant doubling everything is one way to make it always even (like [<"c", -8, -4, -6>]*2) but modulo is definitely better, especially when it's built right in. Neato, I missed that feature entirely.
Old 2nd November 2006, 23:50   #389  |  Link
qwerpoi

New version 1.3.2, download from here or use a mirror from the first post. Here's the changelog:
Quote:
* added option to make video preview a separate window

* added option to quickly backup the current session (suggested by foxyshadis)

* added "paranoia mode" to backup the current session whenever video is refreshed

* increased size of window dividers to make easier to click (suggested by Alain2)

* change autoparentheses levels option labels to be clearer (suggested by Alain2)

* added option to set minimum text window size (suggested by foxyshadis)

* added option to not focus video window when refreshing (suggested by krisq)

* added ability to clear a shortcut in the shortcut editor

* minor improvements to line-by-line update mode

* improved to multi-monitor support

> fixed bug with dragging crop edges (thanks krisq)

> fixed left-click to focus video window (thanks krisq)

> fixed autocomplete before operator (thanks foxyshadis)

> fixed bug with remembering program size when maximized (thanks krisq)
Biggest change here is the ability to make the video preview a separate window (under "Options -> Program settings..." in the "Video" tab, requires a program restart to take effect). The main window and the separate video window have an identical set of video controls at the bottom of each window. The video controls on the main window work a little different than normal, they do not focus the video window after the first time. It's a little hard to understand what this implies, so I'll just say try maximizing the separate video window in the background with the main window in the foreground as an interesting way to work with AvsP. Also as a reminder, be sure to use the keyboard shortcut Shift+Tab as a quick way to switch between the two windows.

Another important change is added options to back up the current session. These options are useful if you use filters that tend to hard-crash Avisynth, which in turn closes AvsP abruptly, causing you to lose all your unsaved script changes. You can either backup the current session with the menu command "File -> Backup current session" (default shortcut Alt-B), or use "paranoia mode", which backups the current session every time a new script is previewed (activate under "Options -> Enable paranoia mode"). The session is backed up into the file "_last_session_.ses" in the program directory. This file is automatically loaded when you start up AvsP with no command line arguments - in other words, it won't autoload if you have .avs files associated with AvsP and you double-click an avs file. You can force AvsP to load the last session no matter what in "Options -> Program settings..." under the "Misc" tab.

Another change is improved multi-monitor support - this means if you start AvsP in a secondary monitor and close it, it should open in the appropriate monitor, instead of always opening in the primary monitor, etc. However, I don't have a multi-monitor setup, so I don't know if it works as smoothly as I think (or if it even works at all). So any multi-monitor users out there be sure to report any strange behavior and I'll try and fix it.

One other bit of news - I released the source for AvsP, it's under the GPL license. I have no real reasons for doing this, I just thought it was only fair since Avisynth is under the GPL license, and without Avisynth there would be no AvsP. The source is included in the zip file, in the "src" directory. You can read the "notes.txt" if you're interested in running or compiling the program. Any questions regarding problems with the source should be in a separate thread or by pm - again, keep in mind I'm not really interested in supporting these types of issues, nor do I believe the source is in a maintainable or even readable form, I'm just releasing it for posterity's sake.

Last edited by qwerpoi; 2nd November 2006 at 23:56.
Old 3rd November 2006, 00:26   #390  |  Link
krisq

Very impressive work qwerpoi . I will check it tomorrow on dual monitor setup.
Is it possilble for you to give a choice where panel with sliders should be (script window or video window)?

Last edited by krisq; 3rd November 2006 at 11:05.
krisq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2006, 01:36   #391  |  Link
ChrisW77

Quote:
Oh, I just meant doubling everything is one way to make it always even (like [<"c", -8, -4, -6>]*2) but modulo is definitely better, especially when it's built right in. Neato, I missed that feature entirely.
Yep, that way works best for me, many thanks.

Oh, and thanks for the new version, works a treat.
ChrisW77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2006, 02:05   #392  |  Link
Alain2

FR translation updated

Very nice work again! The separate video window works well, the refresh not focusing on the video is a very good idea

Thank you for your hard work qwerpoi, it really pays off I think! Hope you'll have some time to dig through the rest your todolist ^^

btw I don't have 2 monitors, so no comments on this from me
Alain2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2006, 13:01   #393  |  Link
Fizick
AviSynth plugger

qwerpoi,
I will test new version.
Thanks for your decision to release a source unde GPL.
In my opinion, we now can declare your editor at least as semi-official AviSynth editor
I shall update Avisynth documentation to add the info (link).

Last edited by Fizick; 3rd November 2006 at 16:05.
Fizick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2006, 14:08   #394  |  Link
Henrikx

@qwerpoi
German translation updated

Question
Points (behind Instructions (Example :save as...) = an action is not immediately executed ..Is this also so at AvsP ?

Last edited by Henrikx; 3rd November 2006 at 15:36.
Henrikx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2006, 17:56   #395  |  Link
krisq

BTW I think you should add a link to the AvsP page in the 'about' box.
Old 3rd November 2006, 18:20   #396  |  Link
chros

Bug?
I have copied the exe to the previous version's dir 1.3.1 (where were already the *.dat files) and the slider row + status row was very big and unresizable ...
Solution: delete all the *.dat files

Can you add an "associate with *.avs extension" switch in the Options?
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerpoi
I'm certainly willing to listen to any specific requests regarding this, but you'll have to walk me through a bit as to what would be needed, since I'm clueless as to what a good MeGUI "avisynth creator" would be.
OK. In the weekend I'll try to summarize the needed things ...
Thanks
chros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2006, 19:57   #397  |  Link
qwerpoi

Quote:
Is it possilble for you to give a choice where panel with sliders should be (script window or video window)?
Ouch, it's possible but causes me pain to think about . I do understand where you're coming from, with the separate video window the sliders can sometimes make more sense on the script window. But as far as I can tell there's no simple way to do this, I'd have to write two sets of code (which is already what I had to do to support a separate video window). So it's an option that should be there, but I'm not sure when I'll get around to it .

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisW77 View Post
Yep, that way works best for me, many thanks.

Oh, and thanks for the new version, works a treat.
Thanks, glad to hear it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alain2 View Post
FR translation updated

Very nice work again! The separate video window works well, the refresh not focusing on the video is a very good idea

Thank you for your hard work qwerpoi, it really pays off I think! Hope you'll have some time to dig through the rest your todolist ^^

btw I don't have 2 monitors, so no comments on this from me
Thanks for the translation update! And don't worry, I haven't forgotten about my todo list (quite a few suggestions have your name on it ), I'll have to see about the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fizick View Post
qwerpoi,
I will test new version.
Thanks for your decision to release a source unde GPL.
In my opinion, we now can declare your editor at least as semi-official AviSynth editor
I shall update Avisynth documentation to add the info (link).
Many thanks! By the way, if it's easier to host AvsP on sourceforge for bandwith reasons, let me know (I always felt guilty about the big download).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrikx View Post
@qwerpoi
German translation updated

Question
Points (behind Instructions (Example :save as...) = an action is not immediately executed ..Is this also so at AvsP ?
Thanks for the updated translation! As far as your question goes, three periods (referred to as "ellipses") usually indicates an option which opens a separate dialog box. I tried to follow this convention with AvsP, but I may have missed some, so if you find any mistakes, let me know.

Quote:
BTW I think you should add a link to the AvsP page in the 'about' box.
Good idea! It's not a very impressive 'about' box at the moment .

Quote:
Originally Posted by chros View Post
Bug?
I have copied the exe to the previous version's dir 1.3.1 (where were already the *.dat files) and the slider row + status row was very big and unresizable ...
Solution: delete all the *.dat files
You are indeed correct, I know about that bug, it's basically a byproduct of programatically sizing windows which don't yet exist coupled with positions from the old options.dat which may not make sense for the new version. I'm still trying to bulletproof the layout code to prevent this type of occurence, but in the meantime, you *should* be able to solve the problem simply by closing and reopening AvsP. If this doesn't work, you can do as chros suggests, you only need to delete the options.dat file, though.

Last edited by qwerpoi; 3rd November 2006 at 20:00.
Old 4th November 2006, 06:00   #398  |  Link
Veiga

qwerpoi,

Portugues_Br translation update

very good work again.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Portugues_Br_v1.3.2__translation.zip (10.6 KB, 56 views)
Veiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2006, 07:04   #399  |  Link
foxyshadis
Angel of Night

You could always start a new project on sourceforge for this. I think it would be really cool, and an svn would make it easy to make patches and stay in sync. btw, I didn't have any problems recompiling following your directions, though I haven't made any changes yet.
Old 4th November 2006, 08:03   #400  |  Link
qwerpoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veiga View Post
qwerpoi,

Portugues_Br translation update

very good work again.
Thanks for the update!

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxyshadis View Post
You could always start a new project on sourceforge for this. I think it would be really cool, and an svn would make it easy to make patches and stay in sync. btw, I didn't have any problems recompiling following your directions, though I haven't made any changes yet.
As it stands, I know absolutely nothing about how to start or maintain a project on sourceforge, svn, repositories, any of that stuff, and I'm not sure I want to take the time to learn . I guess it would be worthwhile if enough programmers are willing to chip in with development, not sure how many python/wxpython guys there are around here, and some may consider the code to be hard to manage (not enough subdivision, and some questionable programming practices overall ). Ultimately it's a matter of time, I develop AvsP in my spare time, I don't know how much additional effort it would be to manage it as a project. Then again, there are some pretty big ideas around here, like implementing Avisynth in python for AvsP, or adding MeGUI specific features like IVTC analysis, stuff that I can't really handle effectively by myself, so in that sense maybe this is the right way to go.

And out of curiosity, did you try compiling using python 2.4 or python 2.5? I never tested with 2.5 so I just wanted to know if there were no problems. Also, how's v1.3.2 with respect to multi-monitor stuff (ie, does AvsP properly remember monitor positions for the main and separate video window)?