Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Audio encoding

Closed Thread

Old 19th May 2010, 01:20   #10001  |  Link
Abradoks

Quote:
Originally Posted by jruggle View Post
1) If FFmpeg is modified to give floating-point output will the results be closer to eac3to.
I don't know how to modify that patch to make it work with ffmpeg. If I apply it as is, ffmpeg outputs noise. So maybe someone else can check it?

Quote:
3) See what the Nero decoder does compared to liba52 and libavcodec.
Nero make it even more confusing. Here are files. *-eac3to-nero.flac were decoded with eac3to; *-nero.flac with Nero 10 decoder and Graphedit.
Graphs:

So, eac3to-nero "looks" like ffmpeg for 5a.ac3, like liba52 for 224.ac3 and like eac3to-libav for 640.ac3.
I was surprised even more, when I compared SNR results:
Code:
5a-eac3to-libav: 27.194   dB  (Gain for File B = 1.0009)
5a-eac3to-nero: 28.607   dB  (Gain for File B = 0.99991)
5a-ffmpeg: 29.057   dB  (Gain for File B = 0.99994)
5a-nero: 28.625   dB  (Gain for File B = 1.5873)
5a-foo-liba52: 28.822   dB  (Gain for File B = 0.99985)

224-eac3to-libav: 16.188   dB  (Gain for File B = 0.99912)
224-eac3to-nero: 16.18    dB  (Gain for File B = 0.99182)

224-ffmpeg: 13.399   dB  (Gain for File B = 1.2648)
224-nero: 13.4     dB  (Gain for File B = 2.0076)

224-foo-liba52: 16.166   dB  (Gain for File B = 0.99174)

640-eac3to-libav: 27.809   dB  (Gain for File B = 0.99982)
640-eac3to-nero: 27.813   dB  (Gain for File B = 0.99982)

640-ffmpeg: 16.091   dB  (Gain for File B = 1.2752)
640-nero: 16.091   dB  (Gain for File B = 2.0243)

640-foo-liba52: 27.537   dB  (Gain for File B = 0.99971)
Also, I've got 5a.ac3 decoded with Cyberlink PowerDVD 10. 5a-cyber.flac:

SNR = 28.844 dB (Gain for File B = 1.5872)
As you can see, Cyberlink hasn't that problem with attenuation of high frequencies.
Can anyone check these samples with Windows 7 decoder? Or maybe even with reference decoder?

Quote:
What program did you use to make the graphs? I want to use it in my comparisons as well.
Sound Forge. AFAIK baudline can provide same functionality.
Old 19th May 2010, 09:04   #10002  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midzuki View Post
Notwithstanding, what do you have to say about the "zero-padding" issue?
I'd need a sample.

Quote:
Also: will eac3to v3.19 recognize "pure" .DTSHD files?
I have that on my to do list. I have a lot of things on my to do list, though.

Quote:
— add switch -dtsfreq , for modifying the playback frequency of the lossy DTS streams ( most useful if someone intends to create a DTS-CD @ 1387.0828125kbps but is too lazy to deal with a hex editor )

— add switch -dtsrate, for modifying the apparent bitrate of .cpt files
I'm not sure what exactly you want to have changed? Just the bitstream header fields or what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansrfe View Post
I actually have a question regarding ArcSoft decoding of DTS-HD MA streams in eac3to. Do I have to set any parameters in ASAudioHD.ax such as channel outputs or anything or does eac3to just use the engine of the dlls from ArcSoft DTS Decoder to decode the dts-hd ma streams in its original state?
No need to change anything. eac3to takes care of everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moondust View Post
I have the same problem with crackling sound when converting a DTS-HD 7.1 file into a FLAC 7.1 file using the Arcsoft decoder. Only 7.1 goes wrong, 5.1 works like a charm. Does the same solution work here too? If not, is there another remedy?
Does eac3to report the 7.1 file as "(strange setup)"? If so, this is a bug in the ArcSoft decoder. Anyway, can I have a sample of the DTS-HD 7.1 file, please?

Quote:
I have tested DtsDec.dll 1.0.2.2 + DTSdecoderDLL.dll 1.1.0.0, and these do NOT decode stereo DTSHD Master Audio correctly (not on my computer, at least).
I'm not aware of problems with stereo decoding. Can I have a sample, please?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowknight26 View Post
Any plans to add -check capabilities to MKVs?
Does it not work yet? Will add that on my to do list...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurent View Post
For a particular HD-DVD, eac3to detects no subtitle track. Same thing when I open the main EVO files in MediaInfo.
But when I play the disc in my HD-DVD player, I have the possibility to switch between french audio / no subtitle and english audio / french subtitle.
eac3to detects only one video track, so I don't think there are two video tracks, one with subtitles and one without subtitles.
Can you explain where are (hidden) the subtitles please ?
Does eac3to detect the subtitles in the track listing ("eac3to c:\rippedHDDvd")?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbolt8 View Post
got a 5.1 dtsma track, which only has data for the 2.0 channels, the rest is empty. so instead of keeping it as 5.1 with 4 empty channels, I'd rather turn in into a 2.0 dtsma & flac track. how do I do this? 5.1 -> wavs? and then afterwards?
Yeah, I'd export to wavs and then use wavewizard or a similar tool to combine the 2 mono wav files together. eac3to currently can't do that.

Quote:
That's a good news.
I hope it means that lots of tools, and especially eac3to, could very soon support this E-AC3 extension ?
It's on my to do list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0x0 View Post
I've recently bought Spiderman trilogy in bluray, and I successfully extracted all the audio tracks I needed from the 3 discs (in truehd format, .thd).
When I tried to convert the .thd files to mono wavs (or flac, or single wav) with eac3to & libav, no issue at all with audio from movie 1 and 3, but I experienced some problems, with the second movie's track decoding... Libav decoding in eac3to gave the repeated "Lossless check failed" warnings, even if the encoded wav files seemed to be good
Spiderman 2 is a seamless branching disc, as far as I remember. If you demux/extract the THD data first and convert it to WAVs or FLAC later, you'll get a "lossless check failed" warning for every seamless branch. That is to be expected. You should have gotten a warning from eac3to, though, when extracting the THD track in the first place. It's not a good idea to extract THD tracks from seamless branching Blu-Rays. Audio and video will drift out of sync, because eac3to can't fix the audio overlaps with THD tracks, when demuxing them. You should convert to THD/WAVs directly from the original Blu-Ray structure. Then those "lossless check failed" warnings should go away and audio and video will stay in sync.
Old 19th May 2010, 09:04   #10003  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abradoks View Post
Eac3to has too many unresolved issues to use it as decoder:
- DTS-HD 7.1 bug
This is a bug in the ArcSoft DTS decoder and it only affects a handful of 7.1 tracks. Most DTS-HD 7.1 tracks decode just fine. Furthermore eac3to warns about the problem, when it occurs. There's nothing more I can do about it. Can you point me to a different decoder which doesn't have this problem? I'm not aware of any. So if you say eac3to can't be used as a decoder, then which DTS-HD decoder are you using instead?

Quote:
Hmmmm... Are you really sure about that? Do you still have files with which I can reproduce that? The files in your original post are no longer available for download.

Quote:
- bug, when output is different for *.wav and *.wavs (at least with libav and ac3/dts)
That's the first time I hear about that. Can I have some more details?

Edit: Maybe you're confused by dithering? eac3to lets libav decode to floating point. For WAV/WAVs output eac3to dithers the floating decoding data down to integer. Dithering means adding random noise to the data. So it's clear that if you decode the same AC3/DTS track twice with eac3to/libav, the results will be different each time. If you want floating point WAV/WAVs files instead, use the eac3to "-full" switch. Then the files should be identical every time.

Quote:
Yes? Go on, please!

Last edited by madshi; 19th May 2010 at 09:16.
Old 19th May 2010, 09:17   #10004  |  Link
0x0

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Spiderman 2 is a seamless branching disc, as far as I remember. If you demux/extract the THD data first and convert it to WAVs or FLAC later, you'll get a "lossless check failed" warning for every seamless branch. That is to be expected. You should have gotten a warning from eac3to, though, when extracting the THD track in the first place. It's not a good idea to extract THD tracks from seamless branching Blu-Rays. Audio and video will drift out of sync, because eac3to can't fix the audio overlaps with THD tracks, when demuxing them. You should convert to THD/WAVs directly from the original Blu-Ray structure. Then those "lossless check failed" warnings should go away and audio and video will stay in sync.
1: Extracting directly the THD track from the bluray iso, eac3to gives no error (the lossless check failed appears only in transcoding...)
2: Tha audio of the THD is in sincro with the movie, I've checked evry 4-5 minutes, and dialogues as well as other sounds are in sincro...

3: I tried extracting the tracks in wavs format directly from bluray... no issue this time

Last edited by 0x0; 19th May 2010 at 19:47.
Old 19th May 2010, 14:59   #10005  |  Link
Abradoks

Quote:
Hmmmm... Are you really sure about that? Do you still have files with which I can reproduce that? The files in your original post are no longer available for download.
Here they are.
SNR:
out.10N.nero.L.wav 27.386 dB
out.10N.libav.L.wav 27.411 dB
out.10S.nero.L.wav 5.5173 dB
out.10S.libav.L.wav 27.398 dB
tartak wrote on another forum, that with nero decoder DRC is only partially ignored: volume increasing still applies, while attenuation is ignored.
Quote:
Maybe you're confused by dithering? eac3to lets libav decode to floating point. For WAV/WAVs output eac3to dithers the floating decoding data down to integer. Dithering means adding random noise to the data. So it's clear that if you decode the same AC3/DTS track twice with eac3to/libav, the results will be different each time. If you want floating point WAV/WAVs files instead, use the eac3to "-full" switch. Then the files should be identical every time.
Shame on me. That was dithering indeed. With -full everything works fine.
Old 19th May 2010, 15:42   #10006  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
2: Tha audio of the THD is in sincro with the movie, I've checked evry 4-5 minutes, and dialogues as well as other sounds are in sincro...
The audio might seem to be in sync, but it can't be *perfectly* in sync. It's probably only a few milliseconds off, which you may not notice.

Quote:
3: So, you recommend me to directly extract the audio track in wav format in order to avoid warnings (e.g. eac3to "G:" 1) 6: audiotrack.wavs ) ???
The warnings are not a problem. The audio sync is, unless you don't care about perfection.

Quote:
Here they are.
Thanks. That's pretty interesting. I've double checked: For some of my movie AC3 files the eac3to "Nero DRC fix" worked, but for some others it didn't. Your AC3 file falls into the "didn't work" category. Don't know why some worked and some not.

Anyway, have already found a fix for the problem, which will be included in the next build.
Old 19th May 2010, 16:36   #10007  |  Link
Thunderbolt8

^^is this problem with nero & ac3 track of importance so that we have to redo our ac3 tracks? I guess not, because libav has been default since quite a while, right?
Old 19th May 2010, 17:50   #10008  |  Link
Laurent

Quote:
Does eac3to detect the subtitles in the track listing ("eac3to c:\rippedHDDvd")?
No. Only video and audio tracks. That's why I don't understand where are the subtitles if they are not in a specific track.
Or could it be a bug in the subtitle track detection ?

Code:
F:\Video>"c:\program files\eac3to\eac3to.exe" .
1) L0_mainMovie.EVO+L1_mainMovie.EVO, 1:51:18
   "mainMovie"
   - VC-1, 1080i (16:9)
   - DTS-HD, English, 2.0, 48khz
   - DTS-HD, French, 2.0, 48khz

2) trailer.EVO, 0:03:52
   "trailerIntro"
   - DTS-HD, French, 2.0, 48khz

3) specialFeatures.EVO, 0:00:30
   "specialFeatures"
   - LPCM, English, 2.0, 16 bits, 48khz

F:\Video>"c:\program files\eac3to\eac3to.exe" . 1)
EVO, 1 video track, 2 audio tracks, 1:51:25
1: Joined EVO file
2: Chapters, 12 chapters
3: VC-1, 1080p24 /1.001 (16:9) with pulldown flags
4: DTS Master Audio, English, 2.0 channels, 16 bits, 48khz
   (core: DTS, 2.0 channels, 16 bits, 768kbps, 48khz)
5: DTS, French, 2.0 channels, 16 bits, 1509kbps, 48khz
Is seamless branching a feature available for HD-DVD ? That would be very strange, but maybe seamless branching is used between video without subtitles and video with subtitles encoded in picture ?
Old 19th May 2010, 19:20   #10009  |  Link
Thunderbolt8

how does the -shutdown command work? I used it with a command line like "eac3to moviefolder 1) 2: movie.mkv 3: audio.flac 3: audio.dtsma 4: subtitles.sup -shutdown"

but my computer didn't shut down afterwards and just idled.
Old 19th May 2010, 19:22   #10010  |  Link
Snowknight26

Quote:
Does it not work yet? Will add that on my to do list...
Doesn't work when there are subtitle streams (SRT for example) present. eac3to spits back 'This subtitle conversion is not supported.'
Old 20th May 2010, 13:05   #10011  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
^^is this problem with nero & ac3 track of importance so that we have to redo our ac3 tracks? I guess not, because libav has been default since quite a while, right?
You won't have to redo libav decoded tracks, and also not all Nero decoded tracks. But maybe some Nero decoded tracks. Don't know which ones. Some seem to be affected, others not.

Quote:
No. Only video and audio tracks. That's why I don't understand where are the subtitles if they are not in a specific track.
My best guess is that the HD DVD information records are not correct for that movie. The subtitle information may still be there, but eac3to just misses it, because it's not listed anywhere. The HD DVD menu might still be able to access it.

Quote:
how does the -shutdown command work? I used it with a command line like "eac3to moviefolder 1) 2: movie.mkv 3: audio.flac 3: audio.dtsma 4: subtitles.sup -shutdown"

but my computer didn't shut down afterwards and just idled.
It should work, but maybe it needs admin rights!? Don't know for sure...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowknight26 View Post
Doesn't work when there are subtitle streams (SRT for example) present. eac3to spits back 'This subtitle conversion is not supported.'
Ah, ok.
Old 20th May 2010, 22:29   #10012  |  Link
Laurent

Quote:
My best guess is that the HD DVD information records are not correct for that movie. The subtitle information may still be there, but eac3to just misses it, because it's not listed anywhere. The HD DVD menu might still be able to access it.
Note that, like eac3to, MediaInfo or TsMuxer do not detect any subtitle track in the EVO file.
In the HD-DVD menu, there is only an audio menu (no subtitle choice) and the switch of audio does make appear or disappear the french subtitles. That's a kind of authoring where subtitles are forced when enabling the original english audio track. That's something we have sometimes on DVD. I don't know how it is handled on HD-DVD.
Old 21st May 2010, 21:09   #10013  |  Link
Thunderbolt8

Quote:
It should work, but maybe it needs admin rights!? Don't know for sure...
my user is listed with admin rights so it should work. can anyone else please try if or how the shutdown mode works?
Old 21st May 2010, 21:23   #10014  |  Link
kurt
sidekick

^^

same here. shutdown doesn't do anything on win7 prof (with admin rights).
Old 21st May 2010, 22:23   #10015  |  Link
setarip_old

@madshi

Regarding "shutdown" - You might want to check with "jdobbs" (at his Doom9 sub-forum), the author of BD Rebuilder. Base3d on postings in the BD-Rebuilder thread, he has very recently resolved the identical problem...
Old 23rd May 2010, 18:16   #10016  |  Link
deathlord

Hi

I have just encoutered a nasty problem using eac3to 3.17.
When converting 5.1 48kHz dts files to 5.1 flac, eac3to just stopped without error, leaving an unfinished file and no log. It happen only with one file out of ten.
Even worse, rerunning the identical command line once more, the problem does not appear anymore.
This has happend twice in the last couple of days.

Any ideas?
Old 23rd May 2010, 23:14   #10017  |  Link
Thunderbolt8

update to the latest version, then try again.
Old 24th May 2010, 09:32   #10018  |  Link
deathlord

Quote:
update to the latest version, then try again.
Yes, of course I will do that. But since the problem can not be systematically reproduced, it may take a long time for the problem to reappear.
The changelog for 3.18 does not list any bugfixes, so I would expect it to behave the same way in this respect.

Meanwhile, I have an idea what could be causing my problem. I remember running two instances of eac3to at the same time. Is this considered a bad idea? Because I have done this quite often without any trouble.
I will try to reproduce the problem this way.
Old 24th May 2010, 10:03   #10019  |  Link
GZZ

I have only had problem using two instance of eac3to when encoding to DTS using surcode, sometimes (rare cases) it happens that both instance use surcode at the same time and one instance finish before the other. Then it (sometimes) kills both process leaving a unfinished dts file. Maybe its the same that happens for you ?

You could properly check this by making a batch file with the same commandline repeated like 5-10 times and then just make it run over and over again to see if it fails at any point. If this work, then try to make 2 batch and run it at the same time. Dont use the same destination folder in both batch job, it will sure fuck it up.

Last edited by GZZ; 24th May 2010 at 10:05.
Old 24th May 2010, 14:11   #10020  |  Link
Xorp

I'm interested in slowing down some 24.000fps Blu-rays to 23.976fps, since it's the preferred standard for my 60hz sets. Most of them are originally 16-bit though, and since slowing them down with eac3to increases their bitdepth to 24-bit, that takes some of them over the 25GB limit for SL disc burning (after converted back to DTS-MA with the DTS encoder). I'm not gonna waste a BD50 to fit on an extra 800MB or so. I know I can reduce them back down to 16-bit with the -down16 option but I'm worried about the effect all the conversions would have on quality. 16->64->24->16 is a lot of steps. Should I just live with 24fps or will there not be any noticeable sound quality difference after all the conversions?

Last edited by Xorp; 24th May 2010 at 14:13.
Closed Thread

Tags
eac3to