Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Audio encoding

Closed Thread

Old 7th May 2008, 14:22   #4681  |  Link
jchappo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tosehee View Post
Do I type in 29.97 or 29.9 30000/1001 exactly as you typed? Sorry for dumb question. :-(
Well 30000/1001 = 29.97, some programs list it either in 29.9 or 30000/1001. If it asks for just fps use 29.97
Old 7th May 2008, 14:27   #4682  |  Link
tosehee

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchappo View Post
Well 30000/1001 = 29.97, some programs list it either in 29.9 or 30000/1001. If it asks for just fps use 29.97
Thought so. Thought I confirm with you before wasting another 40 min. :-)

I will report back if I am successful with demuxing the video manually and remux them with mkvmerge.
Old 7th May 2008, 14:37   #4683  |  Link
nautilus7

Quote:
Ok here is yet more info,

Looks like if I change the extension to RAW, then eac3to has something to say about it:

C:\DVDRips\HD>eac3to.exe Ripped\output.raw
This might be a RAW/PCM file. Trying to figure out the details.
This will probably take a while. Please be patient...
The RAW/PCM file seems to be big endian.
The RAW/PCM file seems to have a bitdepth of 16 bits.
The RAW/PCM file seems to have 6 channels.
RAW/PCM, 5.1 channels, 2:13:48, 16 bits, 48khz

I will try converting a DTS-HD track to RAW, and then test is TsMuxer will accept that.
I just got your sample. So, it seems you demuxed a pcm track, set the extension to wav and then post here saying that eac3to can't detect your "wav" file. Wtf? In addition, i opened tsmuxer and loaded the pcm track. Its parameters were detected correctly!!!

SO MY CONCLUSION IS THAT YOU YOU CAN USE EAC3TO TO CONVERT YOUR AUDIO TO .PCM OR .RAW AND LOAD THEM IN TSMUXER. THAT WOULD WORK FINE FOR YOU.

Quote:
You can't set what ever you like. There are switches (i posted them above). 24p stand for 24/1001 or 23,976... progressive, 30p stands for 30/1001 or 29,97... progressive and 60i stands for 60/1001 or 59,94... interlaced.

Last edited by nautilus7; 7th May 2008 at 14:43.
Old 7th May 2008, 14:58   #4684  |  Link
jchappo

Actually nautilus7, I have been posting the whole time that I am converting to WAV(PCM) because I thought that was the only way to make it work. Once I hit the 4gb barrier and things stopped working, I asked around here and found out what was wrong. Now it seems I have determined that RAW is the way to go, not WAV.

Hence, this is the solution many other people were looking for...

1) Convert TrueHD/DTS-HD to RAW
2) Rename file to .wav and mux with video in TsMuxer

Thanks for your time.
Old 7th May 2008, 15:04   #4685  |  Link
Beastie Boy

Quote:

Thanks for your time.
It's a shame you didn't spot my post earlier
Old 7th May 2008, 15:05   #4686  |  Link
nautilus7

Quote:
Actually nautilus7, I have been posting the whole time that I am converting to WAV(PCM) because I thought that was the only way to make it work. Once I hit the 4gb barrier and things stopped working, I asked around here and found out what was wrong. Now it seems I have determined that RAW is the way to go, not WAV.
How are we supposed to know what tsmuxer does and does not accept as input????

You posted here saying you found some weird problem regarding TrueHD & DTS-HD decoding based on the fact that the wav files you made with eac3to weren't accepted by tsmuxer. Madshi respond that everything is ok with the decoders and problem is that tsmuxer can't deal with BIG wav files, but you kept posting and posting and posting here, until i told that tsmuxer (which i don't use and i wasn't aware) can accept raw and pcm format.

So, the correct order to do things should have been:
1. Find what tsmuxer needs/accepts
2. Find a way to make what it needs.
3. Post here questions about using eac3to (since you chose it for make your audio).

Quote:

Thanks for your time.
I don't see any...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beastie Boy View Post
Yeah beastie, it's really shame.

Last edited by nautilus7; 7th May 2008 at 15:11.
Old 7th May 2008, 15:13   #4687  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Don't have much time right now, but the "WAV" file posted by jchappo is neither WAV nor RAW. It seems to contain blocks of LPCM data with a 4 byte header for each block. It seems to me that either tsMuxer uses its own private data format for storing LPCM data, or there's a bug in tsMuxer's demuxing code, or there's a new "container" format I've never heard about yet.
Old 7th May 2008, 15:21   #4688  |  Link
nautilus7

He demuxed it with tsremux he said, not tsmuxer. Maybe that's the problem. Anyway the conclusion is that tsmuxer accepts .raw/.pcm
Old 7th May 2008, 15:38   #4689  |  Link
jchappo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beastie Boy View Post
Doh, I should have seen it, I was just skimming for madshi replys
Old 7th May 2008, 16:06   #4690  |  Link
jchappo

Quote:
Originally Posted by nautilus7 View Post
How are we supposed to know what tsmuxer does and does not accept as input????

You posted here saying you found some weird problem regarding TrueHD & DTS-HD decoding based on the fact that the wav files you made with eac3to weren't accepted by tsmuxer.
Maybe you should re-read all my posts because I never said such a thing. I merely said the decoded DTS-HD plays garbage audio after 20-30%. I never once indicated a problem with TsMuxer
Old 7th May 2008, 16:50   #4691  |  Link
nautilus7

You still don't get it huh? How did you determine that dts-hd tracks decoded to garbage? Because you couldn't play them in popcornhour once muxed with tsmuxer!!! Who said that you indicated a problem with tsmuxer? Madshi did!

I won't continue this nonsense any further. PM me if you want to.
Old 7th May 2008, 17:02   #4692  |  Link
jchappo

Actually, I was able to copy the WAV file itself onto the popcorn hour and play it without muxing to M2TS. Try again.
Old 7th May 2008, 18:02   #4693  |  Link
tosehee

K.

The issue remains. But, unlike what I originally thought, it's not the video, but the audio. When I play the flac itself, the audio sounds like a tape dac playing at x10 slower. Does that make sense?

Again, this is what eac3to reports...

C:\Users\Public\Videos\Recent>eac3to 00000.m2ts
M2TS, 1 video track, 3 audio tracks, 1:29:02
1: h264/AVC, 1080i60 /1.001 (16:9)
2: AC3, 2.0 channels, 640kbit/s, 48khz
3: RAW/PCM, 5.1 channels, 24 bits, 96khz
4: AC3, 5.1 channels, 640kbit/s, 48khz

and I converts channel 3 to flac using..

eac3to 00000.m2ts 1: v.mkv 3: a.flac

Last edited by tosehee; 7th May 2008 at 18:05.
Old 7th May 2008, 18:21   #4694  |  Link
nautilus7

The mkv file created by eac3to plays fine then? You said it didn't.

Regarding audio... Maybe pcm parameters aren't correctly detected. Is the pcm track 5.1 ch 24 bits 96 khz? Or maybe it's a decoder issue (flac decoder i mean). Try a different one, or convert to another format (e.g. pcm --> ac3) to ensure it's not the decoder.
Old 7th May 2008, 18:38   #4695  |  Link
tosehee

Quote:
The mkv file created by eac3to plays fine then? You said it didn't.

Regarding audio... Maybe pcm parameters aren't correctly detected. Is the pcm track 5.1 ch 24 bits 96 khz? Or maybe it's a decoder issue (flac decoder i mean). Try a different one, or convert to another format (e.g. pcm --> ac3) to ensure it's not the decoder.
What decoder is it using in default? is it libav? and what should I be using to decode PCM 24bit/96khz to flac conversion?

As for video, I didn't know better it was at halt for like 2 minutes before it started to play. When it plays, the videos are fine, but the audio plays like 10x slow mode. Of course, the audio and video is not in sync and it's not watchable.. i mean inaudible as the video plays fine.

Last edited by tosehee; 7th May 2008 at 18:42.
Old 7th May 2008, 18:51   #4696  |  Link
nautilus7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tosehee View Post
What decoder is it using in default? is it libav? and what should I be using to decode PCM 24bit/96khz to flac conversion?
Flac decoder in your player (mpc). Do you use madflac or ffdshow or other? ffdshow for instance is known that can't handle 24 bit flac well.

PCM isn't compressed and doesn't need decoding. Since the pcm parameters are really those detected by eac3to, you don't need to change anything in your command line.

Play the flac track (alone) in your media player, trying different decoders. Also, convert the source pcm track to another format (wav or ac3) to narrow down the possibilities of a wrong eac3to pcm detection.

You can also make a ac3 track from the flac you have already made. If that ac3 plays ok, you definitely have a flac decoding problem in your media player.

Hope i didn't confuse you.

Last edited by nautilus7; 7th May 2008 at 18:54.
Old 7th May 2008, 18:53   #4697  |  Link
tosehee

Quote:
Flac decoder in your player (mpc). Do you use madflac or ffdshow or other? ffdshow for instance is known that can't handle 24 bit flac well.

PCM isn't compressed and doesn't need decoding. Since the pcm parameters are really those detected by eac3to, you don't need to change anything in your command line.

Play the flac track (alone) in your media player, trying different decoders. Also, convert the source pcm track to another format (wav or ac3) to narrow down the possibilities of a wrong eac3to pcm detection.
I am using madFlac. I tried both ffdshow and madflac. They are both exhibiting same issue. I haven't converted to WAV or any other format yet, only flac. But I can give that a try next.
Old 7th May 2008, 19:08   #4698  |  Link
tosehee

4th channel is AC3. When demuxed to flac, it plays fine. It seems that from pcm --> flac for this particular concert is the issue.

In the case of bad ripping, I tried re-rip three times already and they all have exactly same file size and structure. I doubt it's the bad rip, but who knows.. I dont' get any errors in encoding process though.
Old 7th May 2008, 20:00   #4699  |  Link
n0mag!c
use 'r'

@Madshi
I'm needing to use your helpful tool for the first time and the questions (maybe stupid) comes to light. I'm sorry in advance.
I've decoded E-AC3 1536kbps to RAW file with GraphEdit and its Dump filter. By the way, I did it with Nero(8!) Audio Decoder 2, so how it correlates with yours "Nero 8 doesn't allow its DirectShow filters to be used from outside of Nero ShowTime"? E-AC3 track was muxed to .ts file and demuxed back with haali splitter in graph. But eac3to really can't use "Nero Audio Decoder 2". This is my first question.
And my second stupid question is - how can I get from eac3to "WAVs (multiple mono WAV files, PCM only)"? (I gave up playing with eac3to options).
Old 8th May 2008, 00:22   #4700  |  Link
jchappo

Quote:

Thanks for your time.
1) Convert TrueHD/DTS-HD to PCM, big endian is needed, where RAW is little endian
Closed Thread

Tags
eac3to