Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 9th April 2014, 15:25   #25821  |  Link
annovif

Hello everybody, do you think that we can join BlurayDisc "Mastered in 4k" in their full quality? what settings should I set in lav and madvr? That 's the explanation of Sony :

Sony's 4K mastered BD encodes extra color information into BTB (0 to 15) and WTW (236-255) region. So, there is no changes to BD authoring process, format or bitrates (although these BDs typically use highest possible bitrates). To most players, they will simply throw away the BTB and WTW information and display normal encoding of the movie. It will require special BD firmware to read the extra color information in BTB and WTW and reconstruct the x.v.Color copy of the movie.

You also need to be outputting in YCbCr and not in RGB, because x.v.Colour will not work if you are sending RGB.

FWIW, the back-cover text on my copy of After Earth says that it is "mastered in 4K" and "Expanded color requires xvYCC-compatible TV and Blu-ray player."

My projector is a Sony vw200 with xv colour setting, so my problem is only to set the htpc in the right way. Thank you.

Last edited by annovif; 9th April 2014 at 15:28.
annovif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2014, 15:28   #25822  |  Link
Farfie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anime Viewer View Post
I have been reading the thread, and since madshi had posted a version with the workaround I have not seen anyone with an Nvidia post specifically that he/she had it running perfectly without dropped frames.
You're misunderstanding then. Our only problem since the beginning was nvidia breaking their drivers, thus making us revert to a relatively older branch to get nnedi3 working. This was our only problem, and was fixed back when qduaty found a fix. These frame drop problems you're talking about are probably due to the new windowed mode path that madshi has been testing lately, which has nothing to do with nvidia (or at least, no one with AMD has said anything yet. Maybe no one with AMD has tried yet. We could use some more nsamples ) In any case, this doesn't seem like the kind of thing that would arise from vendor specific problems. Could be wrong, but whatevs.
Farfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2014, 15:38   #25823  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by annovif View Post
You also need to be outputting in YCbCr and not in RGB, because x.v.Colour will not work if you are sending RGB.
HTPCs cannot output untouched YCbCr, there is generally always a RGB step in between, so its doubtful this is ever going to work.
Old 9th April 2014, 16:12   #25824  |  Link
trip_let

I haven't had much time to test, but I think I found a situation where new windowed fullscreen is worse than old windowed fullscreen. It looks like the new version has slightly lower rendering times, but it starts dropping frames "earlier" (at lower frame times) than the old windowed path.

Try cranking up enough features to have average rendering time close to 1/fps. e.g. on 23.976 fps content, around 40 ms. For me, new path drops frames for the same settings that old path doesn't. (With things turned down more reasonably so we're not skirting the 90%+ render times and the GPU barely keeping up with the source, new path works perfectly.)
trip_let is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2014, 16:55   #25825  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
I run NNEDI3 128 neuron doubling for 720p -> 1440p using my Nvidia Titan. 0 dropped or delayed frames and there are a lot of us happy Nvidia users if you read the thread. Nvidia even appears to offer better performance than AMD due to AMD's OpenCL interop cost.
Yay, 900€

Anyway, my 7850 is giving random white dots when its GPU reaches >70°C and I have to let the board cool down for the dots to disappear even if its GPU went back to 45°C. I would guess that some other key component cannot stand the heat, I'm not too keen on kludging its cooler with a giant fan or buying a grossly overpriced rebadged 7870.....l'll more than likely try my luck with the 750Ti....too bad nobody can confirm how this thing does with mVR

Last edited by leeperry; 9th April 2014 at 17:24.
leeperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2014, 18:27   #25826  |  Link
flashmozzg

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeperry View Post
Yay, 900€

Anyway, my 7850 is giving random white dots when its GPU reaches >70°C and I have to let the board cool down for the dots to disappear even if its GPU went back to 45°C. I would guess that some other key component cannot stand the heat, I'm not too keen on kludging its cooler with a giant fan or buying a grossly overpriced rebadged 7870.....l'll more than likely try my luck with the 750Ti....too bad nobody can confirm how this thing does with mVR
No probs with my 7850. And my temp is lower too. Was it like that for you from the start? Maybe there are a lot of dust stick in the radiator. For me, after cleaning temps went down from 69-70 to 62-63 in most demanding tasks (like mining) and thats with it being OCed to 1000/1250 (from 860/1200).
flashmozzg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2014, 18:40   #25827  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

Mine is o/c to 1Ghz, and it reaches >70°C when I cap its fans to 20%.......capped to 22% it reaches 67°C and all is well, but within a few weeks it'll be crazy hot in here. Anything faster than 22% is a major deal breaker.

I see 750Ti's selling for as low as 118€ shipped(their power consumption is very impressive and CUVID deinterlacing is so handy), I can sell my o/c 7850 for 80€.....sounds like we have a deal, I'll more than likely order one this evening and will happily report back regarding its results in mVR

Last edited by leeperry; 9th April 2014 at 18:42.
Old 9th April 2014, 18:53   #25828  |  Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
HTPCs cannot output untouched YCbCr, there is generally always a RGB step in between, so its doubtful this is ever going to work.
I thought xvYCC used negative values (or are values below 16 considered to be "negative"?) to expand the gamut beyond the normal range.

So:
+100% green
−100% red
−100% blue
(i.e. −100% magenta, being the opposite of green)

Would be equal to 200% green.

Which should be possible to represent in RGB if you are doing the appropriate color management and have a display capable of displaying that range of saturation.

Displays calibrated to Adobe RGB are common with photo editing for example.
6233638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2014, 20:26   #25829  |  Link
Anime Viewer
Troubleshooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farfie View Post
These frame drop problems you're talking about are probably due to the new windowed mode path that madshi has been testing lately, which has nothing to do with nvidia (or at least, no one with AMD has said anything yet.
The frame drops when attempting to do image doubling with NNEDI3 have nothing to do with the new windowed mode. The frames dropped doing doubling occurred before madshi put out the windowed test patches.
Old 9th April 2014, 21:18   #25830  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeperry View Post
Yay, 900€

I never said a Titan was a good price/performance option for madVR.

That sounds like GPU memory overheating or overclocked too high.
Asmodian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2014, 21:27   #25831  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

Yep, well I just pulled the trigger on this thing: Maxwell shocking debut GTX750Ti/750

Direct-GPU Contact heatpipe & 60W TDP for 118€ shipped sound full of win, time to see how much the AMD interop lag really matters...but either way, sucking up +200W to watch movies is questionnable. OCD has its limits and hopefully its very high power efficiency will make me plenty happy, whatever from a cooling or electricity bill point of view

Last edited by leeperry; 9th April 2014 at 21:37.
Old 9th April 2014, 22:59   #25832  |  Link
Ceremony

finished building my APU htpc. unfortunately, windowed overlay doesnt seem to work with AMD graphics. I am getting "This GPU/driver does not support overlay mode". Bug or feature?
Ceremony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2014, 23:18   #25833  |  Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceremony View Post
finished building my APU htpc. unfortunately, windowed overlay doesnt seem to work with AMD graphics. I am getting "This GPU/driver does not support overlay mode". Bug or feature?
Overlay Mode is not supported with AMD cards.
6233638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2014, 23:21   #25834  |  Link
Asmodian

Yes, windowed overlay doesn't work on AMD, Intel and Nvidia only. I think that message says it pretty well. AMD doesn't do overlay, it is not a bug in madVR or AMD's drivers because it is working as intended. Not really a feature either, at least I am not sure the lack of a feature is a feature.
Old 9th April 2014, 23:42   #25835  |  Link
Ceremony

awh too bad...
Ceremony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2014, 23:49   #25836  |  Link
Anime Viewer
Troubleshooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceremony View Post
Don't feel too bad about it - it doesn't work for some of us with Nivida/Intel gpu either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
Yes, windowed overlay doesn't work on AMD, Intel and Nvidia only. I think that message says it pretty well. AMD doesn't do overlay, it is not a bug in madVR or AMD's drivers because it is working as intended. Not really a feature either, at least I am not sure the lack of a feature is a feature.
It doesn't work on all Intel or Nvidia. When I have CTRL+J active when I open a video with it set to either my Nvidia GTX 680M or my Intel 4000 HD I get the same message, so having an Intel or Nvidia gpu isn't a given that it will work.
Old 10th April 2014, 00:00   #25837  |  Link
Asmodian

How odd, those optimus systems have really messed up drivers.
Old 10th April 2014, 00:15   #25838  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

Oh, I was hoping that I could use overlay with the 750Ti and get tearing-free video in windowed mode with Aero disabled
Old 10th April 2014, 00:37   #25839  |  Link
DragonQ

Why do you need overlay to get tearing-free video? I've never needed overlay.
Old 10th April 2014, 00:44   #25840  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

The 7850 requires Aero to be enabled in order to get tearing-free video in windowed mode, nVidia's don't?

BTW I'm still up for that MPEG1 red chroma sample if you still got it around

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling