Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 16th February 2018, 06:52   #48981  |  Link
Asmodian

By notice I meant actually notice the judder from them when watching, remember the OSD is off while you watch.

To tweak it use the custom refresh rate tool, that is what it is for.

Edit: To get the repeated frames line in the OSD I believe you need to use a refresh rate close to the frame rate. I think if the v-sync time is low enough that an extra monitor refresh is less than half a frame madVR doesn't report repeated frames. A single frame displayed for an extra 16.67 ms every few minutes is relatively subtle compared to the full 41.71 ms frame time, especially if you already have 3:2 judder from 24 fps @ 60 Hz.

If smooth motion does not look worse to you simply enable it and ignore this entire issue. I admit I switched back to using a custom 23.976 Hz refresh rate instead of smooth motion for 24/1.001 content but smooth motion is a great option that doesn't need tweaking or understanding the interactions of frame rates and refresh rates. Simply use "... or if the display refresh rate is an exact multiple of the movie frame rate" and smooth motion will run unless you are using a refresh rate that matches the frame rate. If you are using a custom 48 or 72 Hz mode then keep smooth motion set to "only if there would be motion judder without it...".

Last edited by Asmodian; 16th February 2018 at 07:51.
Asmodian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2018, 10:09   #48982  |  Link
Siso
Soul Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
If you are using a custom 48 or 72 Hz mode then keep smooth motion set to "only if there would be motion judder without it...".
Or use Reclock
Siso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2018, 12:51   #48983  |  Link
LigH
German doom9/Gleitz SuMo

Aww, my short term memory ... but didn't the last pages mention how to get rid of ReClock?

New German Gleitz board
MediaFire: x264 | x265 | VPx | AOM | Xvid
LigH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2018, 12:51   #48984  |  Link
steakhutzeee

Quote:
By notice I meant actually notice the judder from them when watching, remember the OSD is off while you watch.

To tweak it use the custom refresh rate tool, that is what it is for.

Edit: To get the repeated frames line in the OSD I believe you need to use a refresh rate close to the frame rate. I think if the v-sync time is low enough that an extra monitor refresh is less than half a frame madVR doesn't report repeated frames. A single frame displayed for an extra 16.67 ms every few minutes is relatively subtle compared to the full 41.71 ms frame time, especially if you already have 3:2 judder from 24 fps @ 60 Hz.

If smooth motion does not look worse to you simply enable it and ignore this entire issue. I admit I switched back to using a custom 23.976 Hz refresh rate instead of smooth motion for 24/1.001 content but smooth motion is a great option that doesn't need tweaking or understanding the interactions of frame rates and refresh rates. Simply use "... or if the display refresh rate is an exact multiple of the movie frame rate" and smooth motion will run unless you are using a refresh rate that matches the frame rate. If you are using a custom 48 or 72 Hz mode then keep smooth motion set to "only if there would be motion judder without it...".
Thanks, I'll think about all this. It's not so easy

EDIT:

"Simply use "... or if the display refresh rate is an exact multiple of the movie frame rate" and smooth motion will run unless you are using a refresh rate that matches the frame rate. If you are using a custom 48 or 72 Hz mode then keep smooth motion set to "only if there would be motion judder without"

I don't use custom mode, In that section I've the 1980*1080 60hz label flagged with a x. My monitor is 60hz.

So I should use the first, "... or if the display refresh rate is an exact multiple of the movie frame rate"?

Last edited by steakhutzeee; 16th February 2018 at 13:31.
steakhutzeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2018, 12:52   #48985  |  Link
steakhutzeee

Quote:
Originally Posted by LigH View Post
Aww, my short term memory ... but didn't the last pages mention how to get rid of ReClock?
Why? Never used it.
Old 16th February 2018, 14:00   #48986  |  Link
jkauff

Quote:
Originally Posted by LigH View Post
Reclock is fine if your display chain is all 32-bit. A 64-bit version is not planned. Custom refresh rates work best, however, and then you can use a fully 64-bit chain (assuming you're running on a 64-bit OS).
jkauff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2018, 15:52   #48987  |  Link
Siso
Soul Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkauff View Post
Reclock is fine if your display chain is all 32-bit. A 64-bit version is not planned. Custom refresh rates work best, however, and then you can use a fully 64-bit chain (assuming you're running on a 64-bit OS).
Custom refresh rates work, but I'm not into changing the custom refresh rate every time a different fps movie is played, I prefer to force and use one refresh rate all the time plus reclock.
Siso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2018, 15:55   #48988  |  Link
steakhutzeee

Uhm, I should use reclock or smooth motion?
Old 16th February 2018, 16:12   #48989  |  Link
Asmodian

Your choice. I recommend smooth motion, Reclock requires a 32 bit player and doesn't help with 24 fps at 60 Hz (the most common situation in my experiance). Smooth motion works for almost anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steakhutzeee View Post
So I should use the first, "... or if the display refresh rate is an exact multiple of the movie frame rate"?
Yes

Last edited by Asmodian; 16th February 2018 at 16:14.
Old 16th February 2018, 16:29   #48990  |  Link
steakhutzeee

Quote:
Your choice. I recommend smooth motion, Reclock requires a 32 bit player and doesn't help with 24 fps at 60 Hz (the most common situation in my experiance). Smooth motion works for almost anything.

Yes
I don't understand this:

force film mode: [Disabled] force IVTC, reconstructing the original progressive frames from video encoded as interlaced, decimating duplicate frames if necessary. IVTC (either auto or forced) is not functional if using native DXVA decoding because madVR's IVTC algorithm runs on the CPU instead of the GPU.

So it's doing same thing deinterlacing does? What's the difference?
Old 16th February 2018, 17:28   #48991  |  Link
Dorohedoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siso View Post
Custom refresh rates work, but I'm not into changing the custom refresh rate every time a different fps movie is played, I prefer to force and use one refresh rate all the time plus reclock.
Madvr can change the refresh rate automatically, you just have to put this commands under the display modes of your display on madvr:

Example:

1080p23, 1080p24, 1080p60

Or

2160p23, 2160p24, 2160p60

Etc....
Dorohedoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2018, 17:51   #48992  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
I don't understand this:

force film mode: [Disabled] force IVTC, reconstructing the original progressive frames from video encoded as interlaced, decimating duplicate frames if necessary. IVTC (either auto or forced) is not functional if using native DXVA decoding because madVR's IVTC algorithm runs on the CPU instead of the GPU.

So it's doing same thing deinterlacing does? What's the difference?
This is the difference between telecined video and interlaced video.

Interlaced video was never progressive, at any point in time the camera only recorded every other line in the image. These half frames are called fields. This mean we need to create the other lines when displaying it on a progressive display. There are lots of ways to do this but all modern GPUs have a method built in so madVR simply gives it to the GPU (via DXVA2) which then returns progressive video at double the frame rate (it turns the fields into frames).

Telecined video was originally 24 progressive frames (film). It was changed to 30 interlaced frames by duplicating fields, creating new interlaced frames. Motion seems smoother than simply duplicating entire frames on interlaced displays (old TVs). We can perfectly undo the telecine to recover the original 24 progressive frames but madVR does this on the CPU so it needs copyback so the CPU has access to the video.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorohedoro View Post
Madvr can change the refresh rate automatically, you just have to put this commands under the display modes of your display on madvr:
Yes, but the change takes time. It can be quite annoying to have your display flash for 1 sec every time you open and close a video when browsing through folders. As a compromise I only change refresh rates when I go full screen or close the player.
Old 16th February 2018, 18:02   #48993  |  Link
Dorohedoro

If you are going to browse through folders of, lets say, 23.976hz movies do not close your player, just open the next file and you will avoid that 1 sec flash.

And thank god you don't have a JVC projector, the refresh rate change can take sometimes almost 30 secs lol
Dorohedoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2018, 19:06   #48994  |  Link
Asmodian

I tried that but the instinct to close the player is too strong lol. Sometimes the files will have different frame rates too.
Old 16th February 2018, 19:10   #48995  |  Link
steakhutzeee

Three questions:

1. So what happens if I force IVTC over an interlaced video?

2. I'm looking for some sources, if try to change the deinterlacing options with hotkeys madvr says that it's a video so deinterlacing is off by default.

But so, why madvr says 'movie (xx.xx fps) (says source filter) in the osd?

Should it says instead, video?

Maybe I'm doing confusion on this, because film is not same thing as movie. Right? And movie is not to be searched in the scan type right?

Where in the media info madvr reads this movie flag?

It's strange because with a source that's a movie and I know it, madvr says it's video so deinterlacing is disabled, and in the osd I says 'movie'.

3. I'm trying with some x265 files and in the media info I can't find if it's interlaced or progressive, like I did with no x265 sources. Why this?

With these files, enable or disable deinterlacing makes no difference. No dropped frame, as I experienced on DVD discs. I would expect frame dropped if I turn on deinterlacing on a source if it's video, even if it's x265.

And madvr says it's video, when I try to change deinterlacing options on the fly, so I expect a frame drop, and there is no one. Maybe x265 are different?

Last edited by steakhutzeee; 16th February 2018 at 19:28.
Old 16th February 2018, 19:39   #48996  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Three questions:

1. So what happens if I force IVTC over an interlaced video?

2. I'm looking for some sources, if try to change the deinterlacing options with hotkeys madvr says that it's a video so deinterlacing is off by default.

But so, why madvr says 'movie (xx.xx fps) (says source filter) in the osd?

Should it says instead, video?

Maybe I'm doing confusion on this, because film is not same thing as movie. Right? And movie is not to be searched in the scan type right?

Where in the media info madvr reads this movie flag?

It's strange because with a source that's a movie and I know it, madvr says it's video so deinterlacing is disabled, and in the osd I says 'movie'.

3. I'm trying with some x265 files and in the media info I can't find if it's interlaced or progressive, like I did with no x265 sources. Why this?

With these files, enable or disable deinterlacing makes no difference. No dropped frame, as I experienced on DVD discs. I would expect frame dropped if I turn on deinterlacing on a source if it's video, even if it's x265.

And madvr says it's video, when I try to change deinterlacing options on the fly, so I expect a frame drop, and there is no one. Maybe x265 are different?
madVR doesn't know if a file is "video" or "film" the automatic detection doesn't work. the word movie in the OSD has nothing to do it can be replaced with file, stream, film, cinema and many other "names" he just choice movie and i agree on the choice.

1. it doesn't work on interlaced files it only works on PsF by doing nothing or telecine files.

2. if deinterlancing is used or not is desided by the frame rate and most important if the video stream says it is "interlaced" even an telecine stream will say it is "interlaced".

and now about your repeated frame stuff.
if the OSD show it has to repeat a frame every x you have to wait a long time until it happens i have not clue why you are mixing deinterlancing into this topic.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2018, 19:46   #48997  |  Link
steakhutzeee

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
madVR doesn't know if a file is "video" or "film" the automatic detection doesn't work. the word movie in the OSD has nothing to do it can be replaced with file, stream, film, cinema and many other "names" he just choice movie and i agree on the choice.

1. it doesn't work on interlaced files it only works on PsF by doing nothing or telecine files.

2. if deinterlancing is used or not is desided by the frame rate and most important if the video stream says it is "interlaced" even an telecine stream will say it is "interlaced".

and now about your repeated frame stuff.
if the OSD show it has to repeat a frame every x you have to wait a long time until it happens i have not clue why you are mixing deinterlancing into this topic.
I'm talking about deinterlacing because these days I solved dropped frames with dvd discs disabling deinterlacing.

So I'm testing this stuff.

And I learned about IVTC.

But I'm not referring to that repeated frame right now. Mine are just general questions on the topics I'm talking about.

Referring to .1. I tried with a DVD disc to disabled deinterlacing and to force IVTC. And both solved the dropped frames with that dvd. So it works, as you say It shouldn't

And what about my 3rd. question?

Last edited by steakhutzeee; 16th February 2018 at 19:51.
Old 16th February 2018, 19:50   #48998  |  Link
Asmodian

Are you getting dropped frames simply because your settings are too hard for your GPU at the higher frame rates deinterlacing results in?

Average stats: rendering must be below the frame time (Y) reported in the line vsync Xms, frame Yms.

Last edited by Asmodian; 16th February 2018 at 19:52.
Old 16th February 2018, 19:52   #48999  |  Link
steakhutzeee

Quote:
Are you getting dropped frames simply because your settings are too hard for your GPU at the higher frame rates deinterlacing results in?
Didn't understand this, can you re write in a simple way?

I don't think this is the problem, I have frame repeated every x seconds. and I correctly disabled deinterlacing over a DVD discs. Deinterlacing on was giving me dropped frame. I can have 0 frame dropped deinterlacing a progressive video? What's the use of this?

I don't understand your sentence.

Last edited by steakhutzeee; 16th February 2018 at 19:55.
Old 16th February 2018, 19:54   #49000  |  Link
Asmodian

If your GPU is too slow to render frames fast enough it will drop frames. Deinterlacing requires your GPU to render twice as many frames so it only has half the time to render each one before it starts dropping frames.

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling