Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 2nd March 2017, 00:45   #42801  |  Link
Bloodred

There must be something going on with your cooling, I use a GTX 1080 too and I haven't seen any of the NGU variants heat it up that much, mine stays around ~65C at ~80% load (pushing beyond that tends to make it start dropping frames for me). Not trying to dismiss your issue as a "works on my machine" type of deal, but a 1080 really shouldn't be hitting 85C at <200W peak power draw if adequately cooled.
Bloodred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2017, 01:23   #42802  |  Link
Georgel
Visual Novel Dev.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodred View Post
There must be something going on with your cooling, I use a GTX 1080 too and I haven't seen any of the NGU variants heat it up that much, mine stays around ~65C at ~80% load (pushing beyond that tends to make it start dropping frames for me). Not trying to dismiss your issue as a "works on my machine" type of deal, but a 1080 really shouldn't be hitting 85C at <200W peak power draw if adequately cooled.
Laptop GTX 1080. Same power as desktop, cooling isn't as good so it heats more. Its safe temps are up to 92C where it becomes a real problem.

Those were the results with the fans on auto and a cooler turned at max underneath the laptop.

Turning the fans within at max level will make a noise like a vacuum cleaner, but it decreases the temperatures a bit, down to 70C - 75C.

Not that bad for laptops and taking into account that the power is actually similar to desktop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pose View Post
Georgel, whats in upscaling refinement? Also is that NGU pixart?
Running the latest version of NGU pixart and nothing turned on inside Upscaling refinement since Pixart looks best without any additions to me.

Georgel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2017, 07:13   #42803  |  Link
omarank

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Here's a new NGU pixart test build:

http://madshi.net/nguPixArt.zip

Overall, I prefer NGU pixart 2/3 over the other options, but I can't decide if I prefer pixart 2 or 3. With some images I prefer 2, with some 3.

What are your thoughts?
NGU pixart 3 looks better than NGU pixart 2. Although these two versions look more natural than the first version of NGU pixart, yet I find the look of NNEDI3 even more natural. As I see it, all variants of NGU tend to sharpen the edges more than the texture, while NNEDI3 is more balanced. I will see if I can find any more samples which highlight the difference. I look forward to seeing NGU pixart 4.
omarank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2017, 10:49   #42804  |  Link
cork_OS

Quote:
Originally Posted by omarank View Post
As I see it, all variants of NGU tend to sharpen the edges more than the texture
This is especially visible with NGU standard.
Old 2nd March 2017, 14:15   #42805  |  Link
Georgel
Visual Novel Dev.

Quote:
Originally Posted by omarank View Post
NGU pixart 3 looks better than NGU pixart 2. Although these two versions look more natural than the first version of NGU pixart, yet I find the look of NNEDI3 even more natural. As I see it, all variants of NGU tend to sharpen the edges more than the texture, while NNEDI3 is more balanced. I will see if I can find any more samples which highlight the difference. I look forward to seeing NGU pixart 4.
Now that you mention it, it does look like that is what is going on.

But NGU Pixart was basically made for low res content and especially anime, so using it with Real Life content might result in different results compared to normal NGU.

To my eyes, NGU Pixart looks considerably better with anime than typical NGU
Georgel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2017, 14:57   #42806  |  Link
XMonarchY

What plans does madshi have for madVR that its development seems to have slowed down? What can we expect in madVR 1.0.0?
Old 2nd March 2017, 15:32   #42807  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgel View Post
Now that you mention it, it does look like that is what is going on.

But NGU Pixart was basically made for low res content and especially anime, so using it with Real Life content might result in different results compared to normal NGU.

To my eyes, NGU Pixart looks considerably better with anime than typical NGU
the new NGU pixart only works at very high.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2017, 15:39   #42808  |  Link
Damien147

@XMonarchY

Maybe free espresso coffee The best thing I can imagine is a shader which combines the best attributes of NGU pixart/NGU standard with the ''3D'' effect of old softcubic!That would be great.

@Madshi

I don't want to be tiring but I noticed somewhere that you have AMD HD7770.You don't get black screen with 10bit(hevc) in dxva2(native)?Is it only RX 4x0 issue?
Damien147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2017, 15:58   #42809  |  Link
clsid

AMD HD7770 does not support HEVC.
clsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2017, 16:03   #42810  |  Link
cork_OS

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMonarchY View Post
What plans does madshi have for madVR that its development seems to have slowed down? What can we expect in madVR 1.0.0?
Well...
Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
I don't really like to comment on future plans much. But for version 1.0 I do hope to have all important areas covered.
Old 2nd March 2017, 16:47   #42811  |  Link
Damien147

Quote:
Originally Posted by clsid View Post
AMD HD7770 does not support HEVC.
Oh,my fault.Probably he can't see the problem then.RX4x0 specific it seems.
Old 2nd March 2017, 18:14   #42812  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMonarchY View Post
What can we expect in madVR 1.0
Moar better everything eventually.
leeperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2017, 18:55   #42813  |  Link
Damien147

No matter what the ''3D'' effect of softcubic was the best.Wish he can ''tweak'' something with todays shaders and recreate it.It won't be a bad idea as a whole to choose the best attributes of each shader and combine them.You know,take that from that and take that from that... I don't know if I am saying nonsense.

Last edited by Damien147; 2nd March 2017 at 18:58.
Old 2nd March 2017, 19:50   #42814  |  Link
Bloodred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgel View Post
Laptop GTX 1080. Same power as desktop, cooling isn't as good so it heats more. Its safe temps are up to 92C where it becomes a real problem.
Yeah, that explains it. On my desktop 1080 at least NGU doesn't seem to heat it up more than a normal load (a game), using the same fan curve of course.
Bloodred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2017, 21:07   #42815  |  Link
hannes69

Quote:
It won't be a bad idea as a whole to choose the best attributes of each shader and combine them.You know,take that from that and take that from that... I don't know if I am saying nonsense.
What a clever idea!

Seems like you want to mix up apples with pears and bananas. Thatīs fruit salad
Serious: Scaling algorithms use very different technologies, itīs the same like you canīt really mix a petrol and a diesel engine.
If it would be so easy like you think, then it would already exist, because there are many clever people sitting on this planet...
E.g. NGU is very different from simple bilinear and bicubic algorithms, you canīt create a better bicubic upscaler with elements of NGU...
hannes69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2017, 01:37   #42816  |  Link
Oguignant

3d lut file

Does anyone know how to create a 3d lut file? Any web that explains it?

I use Calman 5 software, but I do not have good results.
Old 3rd March 2017, 01:52   #42817  |  Link
Asmodian

There is a Display Calibration thread here but most of us are using Argyllcms instead of Calman. The new version of DisplayCal has made creating 3DLUTs for madVR very easy.

There is also SpectraCal's madVR 3D LUT Calibration Quick Start Guide.

Please ask calibration setting questions in the other thread so we don't fill up this one with calibration.
Old 3rd March 2017, 02:01   #42818  |  Link
Oguignant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
There is a Display Calibration thread here but most of us are using Argyllcms instead of Calman. The new version of DisplayCal has made creating 3DLUTs for madVR very easy.

There is also SpectraCal's madVR 3D LUT Calibration Quick Start Guide.

Please ask calibration setting questions in the other thread so we don't fill up this one with calibration.
I have problems to calibrate my tv oled, 100% Cyan is left with a DeltaE 2000 of 17. I do not understand why, all other values ​​are ok

Last edited by Oguignant; 3rd March 2017 at 02:24.
Oguignant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2017, 03:58   #42819  |  Link
Asmodian

100% colors are often hard to get right, maybe your display simply cannot display the correct 100% cyan, but this can get very complicated and shouldn't be discussed in this thread.
Old 3rd March 2017, 10:24   #42820  |  Link
Damien147

@hannes69
Yes,something like Madshis monster!
I have no idea how things work.I'm just enjoying the result.I used to be a ''vlc guy'' if you get me but madvr made me ''curious''.Ok,I said nonsense it seems.

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling