Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 29th August 2014, 18:19   #27181  |  Link
michkrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGlasspoole View Post
Sure, thats the reason for profiles cause you can run different settings on different resolutions and FPS.
So the question is how to make the script intelligent enough to differentiate SD, HD, FHD...
(cut)
I was looking on doing it with scrHeight rules. But there are so many variables...
And sure, it is questionable if it is needed to differentiate on all that - but hey, if it can be done and who does use
madVR if he not wants perfection
Do you really need all the combinations?
I mean, you use profiles since you want to max out your GPU and image quality, but a lot of the low res combinations will have the same "maximum quality" settings and the high res combinations will have the same "maximum performance" settings with only a few different profiles between them, so it seems pointless to list all possibilities.

Creating profile groups is also something to think over and set different rules for different settings. Chroma upscaling for example IMHO isn't that performance-heavy and I have it set based on resolution only - soft chroma upscaling (to hide artifacts) on SD and sharp chroma on HD and it works, unless you add highly compressed sources, like YouTube into the mix, but then filename/ext rules might come in handy.
My rules are really minimalistic, to give an example with debanding:
Code:
if (srcWidth>1920) or (srcHeight>1080) "deband off"
elsif (fileName="*YouTube*") or (srcHeight<600) "deband high"
else "deband low"
And I'm set for debanding. It's off for 4K (low performace with my GPU), high for SD and YouTube (poor source quality) and low for everything else.

As you can see I don't have >= and <= in one rule to make them less complicated and it works the same if the rules are in correct order. I also like to have the profiles named like the settings and not source quality/parameters, so a completely different approach to yours.

So what I recommend is to create 2/3 (or more?) sets of profiles for different settings with the setting on/off or at low/med/high respectively and check the performance with the clips you have at hand - you can always add more rules, but why bother to later realize half of your rules point to exactly the same settings? That's how I've gone about it and I'm quite happy with the results. It did take me a while until I've finally set them and at some point I got so creative that I needed comments to mark what is what
michkrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2014, 19:08   #27182  |  Link
MrGlasspoole

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
Your files are broken.
If a file needs even aggressive to deinterlace properly, then it is already broken. Any properly encoded file should deinterlace perfectly in Auto mode.
But what about the "Koreans" video that works with EVR but not madVR?

Quote:
Originally Posted by michkrol View Post
a lot of the low res combinations will have the same "maximum quality" settings and the high res combinations will have the same "maximum performance" settings with only a few different profiles between them, so it seems pointless to list all possibilities.
Sure, but there is not much i added. I did 120fps and QHD to play around. But there is definitive a difference between HD < 30fps and HD > 60fps.
I can do "Chroma up Jinc 3 (AR)" below 30fps but only "Lanczos 3 (AR)" above 30fps.

Quote:
Creating profile groups is also something to think over and set different rules for different settings.
What do you mean? Isn't that not what we already talk about?

Quote:
filename/ext rules might come in handy. My rules are really minimalistic, to give an example with debanding
I'm not a big fan of renaming my files.
First you need to go through 100th of movies on your server.
Second i like clean names "Jaws (1975).mkv" and not "Jaws (1975)[some][else].mkv"
Third it does not work with iso's and disc's.

Debanding is the cue. Is it normal that with low the rendering time is higher then with high.
I also thought i use high only on SD and it takes more resources on FHD stuff.
But if i set debanding to high on movies (no matter if SD, HD, FHD) i always have less rending time.

And another question. I see people using Catmull-Rom+AR+LL most of the time for downscaling.
Why not Bicubic 60+AR? Sharper, less aliasing, same ringing...

I also think that SoftCubic 50/60+AR works better for SD (especially my old cartoon DVDs).
But most of the time in tutorials its all about Jinc.

Sorry for maybe stupid questions that are maybe already answered somewhere.
But this thread is so long and often i don't find an answer.
MrGlasspoole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2014, 20:16   #27183  |  Link
Novalis

No video after installng madvr

Hi,

I have installed latest mpc x86 and madvr. Everything seems all right, all filters run. But if i play movie only sound plays, no video.
I have a win7 x64 with internal nvidia gpu and Pci Nvidia GT 610. is that a problem? Can't deactivate the internal gpu, allthough I dont use it. Windows wont start up properly.

Thx,
Novalis
Novalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2014, 21:15   #27184  |  Link
huhn

@MrGlasspoole

they all work totally fine. in video mode not film mode.
looks like you force film mode on interlaced content. film mode is for telecine content.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2014, 21:17   #27185  |  Link
michkrol

Quote:
What do you mean? Isn't that not what we already talk about?
What I wanted to say is create separate set of rules for chroma upscaling, separate set of rules for image upscaling, etc. to reduce complexity, since you probably only need like 2 rules for chroma, but much more for image upscaling.
Quote:
Debanding is the cue. Is it normal that with low the rendering time is higher then with high.
I also thought i use high only on SD and it takes more resources on FHD stuff.
But if i set debanding to high on movies (no matter if SD, HD, FHD) i always have less rending time.
Low setting should affect the image only slightly to avoid detail loss. To achieve it more checks are performed (computed), hence you get higher render times.
Or your GPU might be entering power-saving mode, reducing clock speeds, hence increasing render times.
Quote:
I also think that SoftCubic 50/60+AR works better for SD (especially my old cartoon DVDs).
But most of the time in tutorials its all about Jinc.
The tutorials aren't always (any) good. Jinc is the algorithm of choice if you don't use profiles.
SoftCubic is nice for "old" sources, but be sure to check out the image doubling (NNEDI3) which is pure magic for low resolution sources, especially cartoons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novalis View Post
Hi,

I have installed latest mpc x86 and madvr. Everything seems all right, all filters run. But if i play movie only sound plays, no video.
I have a win7 x64 with internal nvidia gpu and Pci Nvidia GT 610. is that a problem? Can't deactivate the internal gpu, allthough I dont use it. Windows wont start up properly.

Thx,
Novalis
Do you have all the DirectX updates installed?
Get DirectX End-User Runtime Web Installer from Microsoft here.

By no video do you mean black window or only a small seekbar, like you get when playing an audio file? Is madVR in the filters list in View->Filters menu?
Can you see madVR's OSD (press CTRL+J to show/hide)?
If yes, OSD's screenshot will help.

Does it work with EVR or any other video renderer?
If not, please move to correct/create new thread.
michkrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2014, 21:50   #27186  |  Link
Novalis

Quote:
Do you have all the DirectX updates installed?
Get DirectX End-User Runtime Web Installer from Microsoft here.

By no video do you mean black window or only a small seekbar, like you get when playing an audio file? Is madVR in the filters list in View->Filters menu?
Can you see madVR's OSD (press CTRL+J to show/hide)?
If yes, OSD's screenshot will help.

Does it work with EVR or any other video renderer?
If not, please move to correct/create new thread.
It had something to do with xysubfilter. After uninstalling them i got my video.
But now it's even worse. it runs a couple of seconds and then the complete system crashes an reboots. audio sounds ugly, choppy, thats all I can register before crash. That whole thing seems pretty unstable to me. Never had such a bad experience with other filters/decoders.
Old 29th August 2014, 21:57   #27187  |  Link
MrGlasspoole

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
they all work totally fine. in video mode not film mode.
looks like you force film mode on interlaced content. film mode is for telecine content.
Ok, this drives me crazy.
I did set [deint=video] on the "Koreans" and it worked. Then i removed/disabled video mode and now it still works
But the beach babes don't work - they only workout :-)

Quote:
What I wanted to say is create separate set of rules for chroma upscaling, separate set of rules for image upscaling, etc. to reduce complexity, since you probably only need like 2 rules for chroma, but much more for image upscaling.
Ok, now i know what you mean.
Would be nice if things like artifact removal and dithering where in one place with luma/chroma.
The way it is now you need to make extra profiles in the categories where they are.

Quote:
Low setting should affect the image only slightly to avoid detail loss. To achieve it more checks are performed (computed), hence you get higher render times.
Ah ok. Makes sense.

What about that Catmull-Rom+AR+LL vs Bicubic 60+AR? Why is Catmull preferred?

Quote:
Never had such a bad experience with other filters/decoders.
Did you had codec packs on your system, did you experiment allot with other filters/codecs before on that system.
Attached Images

Last edited by MrGlasspoole; 29th August 2014 at 22:02.
Old 29th August 2014, 22:08   #27188  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
It had something to do with xysubfilter. After uninstalling them i got my video.
But now it's even worse. it runs a couple of seconds and then the complete system crashes an reboots. audio sounds ugly, choppy, thats all I can register before crash. That whole thing seems pretty unstable to me. Never had such a bad experience with other filters/decoders.
sound like over heating.

post your hole system a 710 have huge problem with madVR the processing power of this video card is about "nothing".
Old 29th August 2014, 22:45   #27189  |  Link
Anime Viewer
Troubleshooter

broken or misregistered codec/filters

Quote:
Have you scanned your system with any codec tweak tools to see if you have broken codec, or mis-registered filters? Since more people haven't reported the issue with xysubfilter your system may have other issues that caused the problem with xysubfilter.
Old 30th August 2014, 00:19   #27190  |  Link
Novalis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anime Viewer View Post
Have you scanned your system with any codec tweak tools to see if you have broken codec, or mis-registered filters? Since more people haven't reported the issue with xysubfilter your system may have other issues that caused the problem with xysubfilter.
My system is running fine; playing everything. Just this mad thing's running mad. Got rid of it. never mind.

Thanks.
Old 30th August 2014, 01:45   #27191  |  Link
XMonarchY

What are the minimum specs for a PC to smoothly run 720pp-1080p films with madVR and the following settings without frame drops:

1 - Jinc3tap chroma upscaling + Jin3tap (A) image upscaling (no doubling/quadrupling) + Catmull-Rom (AA) image downscaling + ordered dithering + mild to moderate artifact removal + (possibly) smooth motion???

2. NNEDI3 32neuron chroma upscaling, NNEDI3 32neuron luma doubling, Jin3Tap (A) image upscaling + Catmull-Rom image downscaling (AA) + OpenCL Error Diffusion + mild to moderate artifact removal + (possibly) smooth motion???

I work at a PC repair shop and some people are interested in HT computers that can provide a good picture quality at a relatively low cost. The 2 sets of settings are for high quality and very high quality image, but I have no clue what kind of minimum specs are needed for either #1 or #2. I have 3770K @ 4.8Ghz and GTX 780 Ti, but that is FAR from minimal AFAIK. Anyone have an approximation?
Old 30th August 2014, 01:51   #27192  |  Link
clsid

Several people have reported compatibility problems with Nvidia Optimus systems and the latest version of madVR. It is most likely some driver issue.

Does anyone here have an Optimus system that does work? If so, which Nvidia GPU and which driver do you use?

A Nvidia GT 610 is a very weak card. I isn't powerful enough to run madVR with settings high enough to make it worthwhile.
clsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2014, 01:59   #27193  |  Link
*Touche*

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMonarchY View Post
What are the minimum specs for a PC to smoothly run 720pp-1080p films with madVR and the following settings without frame drops:

1 - Jinc3tap chroma upscaling + Jin3tap (A) image upscaling (no doubling/quadrupling) + Catmull-Rom (AA) image downscaling + ordered dithering + mild to moderate artifact removal + (possibly) smooth motion???
I run this with A10-5800K for 720p24->1080.
*Touche* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2014, 02:42   #27194  |  Link
vivan
/人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\

Quote:
Originally Posted by clsid View Post
Does anyone here have an Optimus system that does work? If so, which Nvidia GPU and which driver do you use?
540M, 337.88
I don't use it often since it's too slow - but it does work without any issues...
vivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2014, 03:38   #27195  |  Link
MrGlasspoole

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMonarchY View Post
What are the minimum specs for a PC to smoothly run 720pp-1080p films with madVR
For #1 i would say Celeron G1840 + R9 270X

But if a R9 270X is enough for NNEDI3 i know in a view weeks after i build the new PC.
Old 30th August 2014, 04:11   #27196  |  Link
Anime Viewer
Troubleshooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by clsid View Post
Several people have reported compatibility problems with Nvidia Optimus systems and the latest version of madVR. It is most likely some driver issue.

From reports the only optimus systems with problems running it are the 800 series. The problem appears to be VMR9/DirectX related. People with the 800 series can't seem to run with the Nvidia GPU selected in Nvidia control panel without a black screen unless they select VMR-7 (Video Mixing Render) along with System Default in MPC Playback -> Output area. People with the 800 series have also been experiencing the same black screen situation in some games. Rumor is that the VMR9 issue has do with how it renders the screen rectangles and may be effected by anti-aliasing settings.As a result there are rumors that turning off anti-aliasing may work as a work around for the issue, but not enough people have confirmed if that is really the case.

For the record I have a GTX 680M (as listed in my signature), and don't have the problem. I don't believe its right to blame optimus for the problem when there is no proof that "optimus" is the cause of the problem as opposed to something with VMR/DirectX. The Nvidia drivers likely aren't the problem as us 600 series users are running the same model drivers as the 800 series people.
Old 30th August 2014, 13:43   #27197  |  Link
RainyDog

So it's been a while since I used madVR and I've been experimenting with the newer settings and changes over the past couple of days.

I've been having an issue where MPC-BE is more often than not freezing when leaving FSE and the only way I can seem to fix it is disabling 'present several frames in advance' which also disables DXVA acceleration. In doing this, I've noticed that my PC draws about 80w less power using the same madVR settings which I'm naturally quite happy with as it easily tops 200w when using NNEDI3 at 32/64 neurons in combination with Jinc.

It probably shouldn't be surprising as my GPU is a power hungry Radeon 290 and CPU is a still pretty efficient and beefy i7 3770k. But I just wanted to make sure there's no actual quality difference between using DXVA2 and software for rendering? Nor any quality impact by disabling 'present several frames in advance' in madVR?

Thanks.
RainyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2014, 14:42   #27198  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyDog View Post
So it's been a while since I used madVR and I've been experimenting with the newer settings and changes over the past couple of days.

I've been having an issue where MPC-BE is more often than not freezing when leaving FSE and the only way I can seem to fix it is disabling 'present several frames in advance' which also disables DXVA acceleration. In doing this, I've noticed that my PC draws about 80w less power using the same madVR settings which I'm naturally quite happy with as it easily tops 200w when using NNEDI3 at 32/64 neurons in combination with Jinc.

It probably shouldn't be surprising as my GPU is a power hungry Radeon 290 and CPU is a still pretty efficient and beefy i7 3770k. But I just wanted to make sure there's no actual quality difference between using DXVA2 and software for rendering? Nor any quality impact by disabling 'present several frames in advance' in madVR?

Thanks.
try software and present in advanced first. or disable FSE mode.
software has can better deal with error in the stream but there is no difference in BD playback.

i think you got so high power consumption thx to dxva. dxva forces your gpu in at least mid powerstate and if you are not using nnedi for chroma this is not needed for 1080p on 1080p. so software takes a lot less power then dxva with high performance cards.
Old 30th August 2014, 15:50   #27199  |  Link
StinDaWg

Quote:
And another question. I see people using Catmull-Rom+AR+LL most of the time for downscaling.
Why not Bicubic 60+AR? Sharper, less aliasing, same ringing...
I use Lanczos4 for downloading high quality 720p videos after NNEDI3. If you want a sharper algorithm use Lanczos. Bicubic is a lower quality algorithm.

I don't use AR for downscaling because there is a bug with madVR that causes aliased text with NNEDI3.

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=170769

Last edited by StinDaWg; 30th August 2014 at 15:53.
StinDaWg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2014, 17:51   #27200  |  Link
Anime Viewer
Troubleshooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyDog View Post
But I just wanted to make sure there's no actual quality difference between using DXVA2 and software for rendering? Nor any quality impact by disabling 'present several frames in advance' in madVR?

Thanks.
More than image quality those two things are related to speed of processing images. In some cases render times can be lower while using DXVA2, but with some less used forms of video pixelating may appear when using DXVA2 (same for CUVID and other hardware accelerators with Nvidida GPU). The present several frames in advance can some times decrease render times, eliminate dropped frames, or eliminate presentation glitches.

If you're getting decent render times with those disabled, and you aren't seeing any dropped frames or presentation glitches then you might as well leave them both disabled.

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling