Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > DVD & BD Rebuilder

Old 3rd February 2009, 00:07   #981  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwgallardo View Post
Movie Only / BD5 and BD9 disc (not AVCHD)
Jdobbs: Do you think it is the same issue I'm having with my denon player? It was working with v0.17.3 and not working with v0.18. The other difference I did was that I selected "good" as encoder setting in v0.18. Anything I can try or send you?
Possibly. If you are setting ENCODE_QUALITY=6 then "GOOD" can't be selected also (the checkbox should be off on all selections in the encoder speed area of the menu). I'm starting to wonder if it might be the updated version of X264 that is at fault -- mainly because that is the only thing that changed if someone is using ENCODE_QUALITY=6.

Make sure you stop/restart BD-RB after setting ENCODE_QUALITY=6. It only gets read when booting or resetting from the menu (but "6" isn't a visible option).

I'd really appreciate it if one of the PS3 users tried an encode with the older version of X264.

Last edited by jdobbs; 3rd February 2009 at 00:12.
jdobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2009, 00:17   #982  |  Link
klas

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdobbs View Post
Unfortunately you are typically encoding the entire movie for a "movie-only" encode. So the only point at which you could resume is between the first and second passes.

Its not posible resume between the first and the second. That ist the real probleme. Finish the firts pass and begin the second(50 % of second) . I press abort and backup inmediatly and no resume

I may add an option in which the chapters are encoded individually. That way you could exit/resume at shorter intervals.

Thank you for this

The other option is to set the encode so that it is using IDLE PRIORITY under the ENCODER SETTINGS menu and then select MINIMIZE TO TRAY under the FILE menu. That way you can let it run while using your computer and it will only use unused processor time -- letting other applications have priority. But when you aren't using your computer for something else, it will run at a speed comparible to what you'd get get with a higher priority. That's how I usually run mine.
Imposible, the terrible noise of the computer in the room its the probleme.
klas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2009, 00:33   #983  |  Link
jdobbs

Unfortunately there is no option (I know of) within X264 to let you exit and resume an encode -- so resuming at the begining of the last attempted pass in the only way I can do it.
Old 3rd February 2009, 01:11   #984  |  Link
DarWun

Quote:
I'd really appreciate it if one of the PS3 users tried an encode with the older version of X264.
I have had problems with Movie Only encodes to BD9 skipping on the PS3 since switching to v0.18.7. The first movie I tried after upgrading to v0.18.7 was Max Payne. After several unsuccessful attempts, I went back and tried a movie that I had previously backed up successfully using v0.17.3. With v0.18.7 the final encode skipped. Reverting back to v0.17.3 resulted in a final encode that did not skip.

Long story short (kind of late for that), I am currently doing another Movie Only encode using v0.18.7 and the version of x264.exe that was in the v0.17.3 distribution package. I'll post my results after the encode finishes.
DarWun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2009, 01:17   #985  |  Link
Dark Shikari
x264 developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by klas View Post
Imposible, the terrible noise of the computer in the room its the probleme.
Your computer has a "hibernate" button. If you need to pause the encode, use that instead of shutting it down.
Dark Shikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2009, 01:19   #986  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarWun View Post
I have had problems with Movie Only encodes to BD9 skipping on the PS3 since switching to v0.18.7. The first movie I tried after upgrading to v0.18.7 was Max Payne. After several unsuccessful attempts, I went back and tried a movie that I had previously backed up successfully using v0.17.3. With v0.18.7 the final encode skipped. Reverting back to v0.17.3 resulted in a final encode that did not skip.

Long story short (kind of late for that), I am currently doing another Movie Only encode using v0.18.7 and the version of x264.exe that was in the v0.17.3 distribution package. I'll post my results after the encode finishes.
Much appreciated. Are there multiple parts (more than one video listing in the streams window) in this movie-only encode? The reason I ask is that I just remembered that in that version I also use TSMUXER to combine the sections, where in previous versions I used AVISYNTH (with the numerous CODEC instances that could cause memory crashes). Does the "skip" seem to occur at the same points as the splits (the individual M2TS files in the working directory)? I don't see it on my player -- but maybe the PS3 is sensitive in some way.

Last edited by jdobbs; 3rd February 2009 at 01:31.
Old 3rd February 2009, 01:27   #987  |  Link
jdobbs

Also, just to be clear, when we say there is "skipping" on the PS3 -- what does that mean? A huge jump? What appears to be a single missing frame? Audio glitch?

Thanks.
Old 3rd February 2009, 01:34   #988  |  Link
Dark Shikari
x264 developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaPony View Post
With all due respect, that makes just about zero sense. The only reason you would need to pause encoding is because you have a higher priority task to accomplish... hibernating the system just makes the entire PC unuseable. I know you work hard on your product, and are justifiably proud, but gimme a break... If it can't be paused, that's fine, but this kind of advise is really unhelpful to those people who need 8hs,10hrs, or even longer to complete a movie.
I initially assumed that you merely wanted to be able to shut down the computer without terminating encoding (which makes sense). But now this is getting ridiculous... you do know that all modern operating systems, including Windows, let you pause any process?

Do you really thing we should waste our time reimplementing something your computer already does? We surely could not possibly implement it as well as the native method, either.

(On the odd chance that you actually don't know, Ctrl-S will pause a program...)

(Maybe we should stop telling people this and instead lie and say that x264 has pause capability and that "Ctrl-S" is the key to activate it... )

Last edited by Dark Shikari; 3rd February 2009 at 01:37.
Old 3rd February 2009, 01:36   #989  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
With all due respect, that makes just about zero sense. The only reason you would need to pause encoding is because you have a higher priority task to accomplish... hibernating the system just makes the entire PC unuseable. I know you work hard on your product, and are justifiably proud, but gimme a break... If it can't be paused, that's fine, but this kind of advise is really unhelpful to those people who need 8hs,10hrs, or even longer to complete a movie.
I'm confused if this is the case. Because I already recommended using IDLE priority -- which is exactly what would be needed to give the other task the priority it needs. Then the follow-on post was "...the terrible noise of the computer in the room...".

How can you use your computer for a higher priority task and make it any quieter?

Last edited by jdobbs; 3rd February 2009 at 01:39.
Old 3rd February 2009, 01:39   #990  |  Link
GaPony

Quote:
Also, just to be clear, when we say there is "skipping" on the PS3 -- what does that mean? A huge jump? What appears to be a single missing frame? Audio glitch?

Thanks.
This is an interesting question... its actually more of a video freeze than a skip. My results have shown the audio continues to play correctly, but the frames are freezing. Given that the method used for Blu-Rays is essentially supposed to reuse the unchanged portions of scene, from frame to frame, the scenes with little movement seem to freeze (skip) alot, where scenes with lots of action are less prone to it... and more like blocking (large scale pixelating in certain areas of the screen) at least that was my observation.
GaPony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2009, 01:42   #991  |  Link
jdobbs

I'd be interested, then, to see how you do with the "6" setting. I'll go back to the X264 change list and see if there was any changes to the motion estimation algorithms between the two versions. Frankly, though, I have to suspect something else... or you'd think I'd see it on my standalone also.

Last edited by jdobbs; 3rd February 2009 at 01:46.
Old 3rd February 2009, 01:47   #992  |  Link
Dark Shikari
x264 developer

Quote:
I'd be interested, then, to see how you do with the "6" setting. I'll go back to the X264 change list and see if there was any changes to the motion estimation algorithms between the two versions. Frankly, though, I have to suspect something else... or you'd think I'd see it on my standalone also.
There haven't been any significant algorithmic changes, and I highly doubt any such thing could cause that problem anyways.

It sounds more like a muxing, timing, or HRD issue.
Old 3rd February 2009, 01:48   #993  |  Link
GaPony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Shikari View Post
(Maybe we should stop telling people this and instead lie and say that x264 has pause capability and that "Ctrl-S" is the key to activate it... )
I think alot of people might just be afraid to interfere with the process in even the slightest way... that's alot of time thrown away if it decides to "burp" when it starts back up. The pause button would be more emotional than mechanical. With a Q9560 I can still do pretty much whatever else I want without problems, but I trust the way a PC works more than many.
GaPony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2009, 01:50   #994  |  Link
Dark Shikari
x264 developer

Quote:
I think alot of people might just be afraid to interfere with the process in even the slightest way... that's alot of time thrown away if it decides to "burp" when it starts back up. The pause button would be more emotional than mechanical. With a Q9560 I can still do pretty much whatever else I want without problems, but I trust the way a PC works more than many.
I trust the OS's pause routine more than one I write myself
Old 3rd February 2009, 01:50   #995  |  Link
datman

I have been trying to encode "The Longest Day" I have had no luck.

[20:05:45] BD Rebuilder v0.18.7 (beta)
- Source: THE LONGEST DAY
- Input BD size: 35.45 GB
- Approximate total content: [02:58:22.690]
- Target BD size: 7.72 GB
- MOVIE-ONLY mode enabled
[20:05:48] PHASE ONE, Encoding
- Reached retry limit. Aborting.
[20:36:33] - Failed video encode, aborted
-----------------------
[20:36:44] BD Rebuilder v0.18.7 (beta)
[20:36:48] - Aborted per user request
-----------------------
[20:40:25] BD Rebuilder v0.18.4 (beta)
[20:40:26] PHASE ONE, Encoding
[21:10:48] - Failed video encode, aborted
-----------------------
[02:05:25] BD Rebuilder v0.18.4 (beta)
[02:05:31] - Aborted per user request
-----------------------
[05:01:01] BD Rebuilder v0.18.7 (beta)
- Source: TLD_US
- Input BD size: 36.90 GB
- Approximate total content: [02:58:22.691]
[05:01:03] PHASE ONE, Encoding
[05:33:13] - Failed video encode, aborted
-----------------------
[16:23:17] BD Rebuilder v0.18.7 (beta)
- Source: TLD_US
- Input BD size: 36.90 GB
- Approximate total content: [02:58:22.691]
[16:23:20] PHASE ONE, Encoding
[17:02:45] - Failed video encode, aborted
-----------------------
[18:06:18] BD Rebuilder v0.18.7 (beta)
- Source: TLD
- Input BD size: 32.71 GB
- Approximate total content: [02:58:21.691]
[18:06:20] PHASE ONE, Encoding
[18:35:34] - Failed video encode, aborted

I tried off the rip, off the disc, from tsremux and tsremuxer. It will not go past the first phase
datman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2009, 01:55   #996  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Shikari View Post
I trust the OS's pause routine more than one I write myself
I'm not sure how to pause a process in windows... I'll have to look it up.
Old 3rd February 2009, 02:39   #997  |  Link
MB2

Hi, ive tried encoding a couple of movies (Pulp Fiction and The Simpsons Movie)... Im amazed at the quality and speed on my quad core pc... ;-)

I use the best setting and the films have already been run through TSremuxR 1.8.8 as movie only as they are stored on USB hard drives. They play fine on the PC.

In Pulp Fiction (original codec h264) i get a type of macro blocking / break up a couple of times in the film. Ive done this encode twice and it happens different times in the film on each encode.

The Simpsons Movie (original codec MPEG2), the frames appear to slow down when something with more detail is about to happen and the sound disapears. The scenes where Homer dumps his waste sylo and the lake goes bubbly, the scene where the mob after him and the shot goes through the crowd, and the scene when the dome explodes.

I am currenty doing There Will Be Blood (original codec VC1)...
MB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2009, 02:41   #998  |  Link
Dark Shikari
x264 developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB2 View Post
In Pulp Fiction (original codec h264) i get a type of macro blocking / break up a couple of times in the film. Ive done this encode twice and it happens different times in the film on each encode.
Harass jdobbs to update BD-RB again with the latest x264; this might have fixed that.
Old 3rd February 2009, 03:26   #999  |  Link
DarWun

Quote:
Much appreciated. Are there multiple parts (more than one video listing in the streams window) in this movie-only encode? The reason I ask is that I just remembered that in that version I also use TSMUXER to combine the sections, where in previous versions I used AVISYNTH (with the numerous CODEC instances that could cause memory crashes). Does the "skip" seem to occur at the same points as the splits (the individual M2TS files in the working directory)? I don't see it on my player -- but maybe the PS3 is sensitive in some way.
The movie that I was initially having problems with (Max Payne) has multiple parts. If my memory serves me correctly, the other movie I tried and had problems with (Ghost Town) does not. I'll have to check when I get home from work to make sure though.

By skipping I mean that the video will freeze for a fraction of a second, and then skip ahead to a point where it is in sync with the audio again. The audio plays without any glitches. I've only made it about two minutes into the movie, and the freezes happen every four or five seconds over that period.

This was posted as a work around on another forum. I haven't tried it yet, but maybe it will provide some insight to the problem.

Anyways, here's what I did that ended up fixing the problem:

- Opened up the *.AVS.264 file from the WORKFILES directory (created by BD-RB) in H264info
- checked the "Remove pulldown" checkbox
- ran H264info and created a new file, *_NoPulldown.AVS.264
- opened up TSMuxer GUI
- added the newly-created no-pulldown 264 file, and the *.AC3 file from the WORKFILES directory (created by BD-RB)
- selected the "Create Blu-ray Disc" option and ran it
- burned the resulting folders to a DVD+RW using ImgBurn with UDF 2.50
DarWun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2009, 03:59   #1000  |  Link
GaPony

RE: Setting "ENCODE_QUALITY=6"

I got a failure in the multiplexing phase.

Code:
[15:46:28] BD Rebuilder v0.18.7 (beta)
  - Source:  PRIDE_AND_GLORY
  - Input BD size: 19.66 GB
  - Approximate total content: [02:10:09.426]
[15:46:32] PHASE ONE, Encoding
 - [15:51:10] Collecting video information [00004]
   - Video: 1920x1080, 23.976fps
   - Bitrate: 7,200 Kbs
 - [15:51:11] Reencoding: VID_00004, Pass 1 of 2