Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers

Old 5th November 2016, 23:47   #21141  |  Link
DaMacFunkin

Thank you.
DaMacFunkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2016, 00:20   #21142  |  Link

Last edited by 3421; 6th November 2016 at 00:42.
3421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2016, 06:09   #21143  |  Link
CruNcher

@VictorLS
Try it under Linux with VDPAU DXVA in itself is sometimes wonky when it comes to time critical tasks

But as a IT Professional you should actually know that Windows isn't really a good reliable Foundation for DVB tasks.

Especially from Russia

Or why do you think there are no Hardware DVB Players with Windows as Core.

as NikosD said there are corner cases and for DVB resilient playback i would never Personal use any Windows Device for anymore, even normal reliable/fast Video Playback is a adventure

Try Linux + VDPAU

you have nothing to lose its free also no costs involved, there are other solutions as well but those will get really costly.

Or do the most sane thing and externalize the DVB Playback to a Dedicated Hardware based Solution.

It is about Time

Join the Revolution NOW before it is to Late !

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=168004

Last edited by CruNcher; 6th November 2016 at 07:24.
CruNcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2016, 10:00   #21144  |  Link
VictorLS

CruNcher
I am SAT amateur, but I set up H-H (from 103e to 30w) mount and 1,2 meter offset dish with Ku-linear, Ku-circular and C-circular converters by myself.
WinXP with 50Hz output is good enough for me for any DVB task (including receiving Mulistream ,T2-MI, there is some artifacts sometimes with one Ukrainian transponder only because of Mutistream in T2-MI from 4e8 - few very expansive (semi-)professional tuners can receive that at all), except h265 10bit because of ... see this thread above.
With GTX750v2 Win7x64 is good enough too (I reinstall it sometimes) including h265 10bit. Both Windows can work day by day with working DVBViewer and never drop frames, freezes or crashes with strong signal in my case.
I have GalaxyInnovations HD Micro Plus not bad very small tuner (bought in summer 2014 about 60$ for absolute silence only) 3G modem can be inserted in one of two USB ports, but its picture quality via HDMI IMHO is poor with 1080p50 setting because of bad internal deinterlacer, with 1080i50 picture is great (almost as Openbox SX4 I tried) but I can not use BFI technology (to "speed up" liquid crystals) in my monitor BENQ FP241VW called Perfect Motion with 1080i50 and encrypted channels recordings can be played on my tuner only so I prefer WinXP )
When comparatively seldom some playback problems appears with some bad files in Windows I solve them easy by combination of filters or remuxing or TS-Doctor or so on.
About Core: did you mean CoreAVC?
About Linux + VDPAU: I am running Ubuntu from self-made boot flash to solve some professional problems. I have read that h265 10bit is problem too as in WinXP - only CUVID with changes decodes well by dithering to 8bit. Tell me, please, if this is not true or when this problem will be solved - I'll try if will be time.

Last edited by VictorLS; 6th November 2016 at 10:20.
VictorLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2016, 15:42   #21145  |  Link
el Filou

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruNcher View Post
But as a IT Professional you should actually know that Windows isn't really a good reliable Foundation for DVB tasks.

Or why do you think there are no Hardware DVB Players with Windows as Core.

as NikosD said there are corner cases and for DVB resilient playback i would never Personal use any Windows Device for anymore, even normal reliable/fast Video Playback is a adventure

Try Linux + VDPAU
Why would Windows not be reliable for DVB? The BDA framework is a tried and tested solution, and since the introduction of EVR and MMCSS media playback has been very reliable.
Any problems with DVB playback come from the graphics card drivers.

There are no Windows based hardware DVB players because manufacturers want to avoid paying a license fee and also Linux can be slimmed down much further than Windows for really specific tasks, but it hasn't anything to do with how good the technical base is.

I am running a HTPC for DVB-C (HD H.264) under Windows 10 myself and I can't see how Linux would be better for me.
And talking about dedicated hardware boxes, when I hear friends describe the experience they have with their provider's official hardware (lag, lack of GUI smoothness, lack of flexibility/removing of features, crashes, total corruption needing a factory reset, etc.), I'm quite happy with my Windows setup

(and LAV Filters are a big part of why I'm happy with it, btw, thanks for everything Nevcairiel! )
Old 7th November 2016, 04:03   #21146  |  Link
Nintendo Maniac 64

I asked in the past, but I was drowned out by whatever discussion was occurring at the time so I'll ask again...

In LAVfilters, is there anyway to disable hardware decoding of 1080p while still allowing hardware decoding of 720p?
Nintendo Maniac 64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2016, 09:53   #21147  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

No, thats not possible. Which hardware can handle 720p but not 1080p? and if you decode 1080p in software, why not lower resolutions as well?
Old 7th November 2016, 19:31   #21148  |  Link
VictorLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorLS View Post
I'll check Intel next week myself
Excuse me, huhn, for not believing about Intel - with integrated in Intel's processor videoadapter there is no artifacts while playing DXVA_NVidia_bug.ts and such files in Win7 with both DXVA2 and QuickSync in my experiments too.
Another my experiment: even integrated in chipset for AMD processor old nVIDIA 8200 has artifacts in Win7.

Last edited by VictorLS; 7th November 2016 at 21:01.
Old 7th November 2016, 22:02   #21149  |  Link
P.J
Δ

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
No, thats not possible. Which hardware can handle 720p but not 1080p? and if you decode 1080p in software, why not lower resolutions as well?
My GeForce 8600M GT DDR2 can't handle 1080i60/p60 while Core2 Duo T9300 can decode/de-interlace 1080i60 well.
P.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2016, 23:10   #21150  |  Link
kral2008

Quote:
Excuse me, huhn, for not believing about Intel - with integrated in Intel's processor videoadapter there is no artifacts while playing DXVA_NVidia_bug.ts and such files in Win7 with both DXVA2 and QuickSync in my experiments too.
Another my experiment: even integrated in chipset for AMD processor old nVIDIA 8200 has artifacts in Win7.
Victor,
According to these links:
https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/t...etected-quot-/
and
https://developer.nvidia.com/nvidia-video-codec-sdk
You can't use CUVID HEVC with FFMPEG on linux even if you have 770 and older cards.
You can compile ffmpeg by association of CUVID HEVC but you can't use it to play files. Of course it compiles well without occuring any error, but you may face the error when you want to play HEVC encoded files.
So, I'm not sure about anything right now.
kral2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2016, 01:09   #21151  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.J View Post
My GeForce 8600M GT DDR2 can't handle 1080i60/p60 while Core2 Duo T9300 can decode/de-interlace 1080i60 well.
That doesn't answer why you wouldn't just decode everything in software then, your CPU is clearly fast enough.

I'm not a fan of adding more options for rare/exotic use-cases.
Old 8th November 2016, 12:46   #21152  |  Link
VictorLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by kral2008 View Post
Victor,
According to these links
So, I'm not sure about anything right now.
First, you are wrong quote my post - I rise two themes here:
1. h265 10bit decoding via CUVID in Windows (not WinXP only) - Linux as a working example only;
2. artifacts while playing some files or SAT programs via DXVA2 in Win7-. You are quoted this theme, but asked me about first: As svencdack said only Maxwell 2-nd generation (as my named by bad marketer GTX750v2, I think GTX910 - GTX940 would be much better if we speak about h265 decoding) and Pascal-based videocards has full (not hybrid) hardware accelerator inside GPU.
http://www.palit.com/palit/vgapro.php?id=2254&lang=en
My GeForceŽ GTX 750 StormX OC (1024MB GDDR5) NE5X750THD01-2065F based on Maxwell 2-nd generation GM206-150 but smaller NE5X750S1301-1073F on same page based on GK107 is bad videocard for h265 decoding. NE5X750THD01-2065F has dissapeared in many Russian stores (I always buy new - not used - things) already.
And I am sure GM206 and GP1.. can h265 10bit hardware decoding via CUVID not only in Linux but in Windows too, but nevcairiel do not want even try (

Last edited by VictorLS; 8th November 2016 at 12:52.
Old 8th November 2016, 13:09   #21153  |  Link
huhn

youtube released yesterday VP9 profile 2 videos with HDR.

at the moment the HDR meta can't be used with madVR.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...gprtDeY8WDa8YX

youtubeDL -f 337 will get you the 10 bit hdr version.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2016, 15:44   #21154  |  Link
kral2008

Quote:
First, you are wrong quote my post - I rise two themes here:
1. h265 10bit decoding via CUVID in Windows (not WinXP only) - Linux as a working example only;
2. artifacts while playing some files or SAT programs via DXVA2 in Win7-. You are quoted this theme, but asked me about first: As svencdack said only Maxwell 2-nd generation (as my named by bad marketer GTX750v2, I think GTX910 - GTX940 would be much better if we speak about h265 decoding) and Pascal-based videocards has full (not hybrid) hardware accelerator inside GPU.
http://www.palit.com/palit/vgapro.php?id=2254&lang=en
My GeForceŽ GTX 750 StormX OC (1024MB GDDR5) NE5X750THD01-2065F based on Maxwell 2-nd generation GM206-150 but smaller NE5X750S1301-1073F on same page based on GK107 is bad videocard for h265 decoding. NE5X750THD01-2065F has dissapeared in many Russian stores (I always buy new - not used - things) already.
And I am sure GM206 and GP1.. can h265 10bit hardware decoding via CUVID not only in Linux but in Windows too, but nevcairiel do not want even try (
Quoting wrong post or anything else is not important for me, I've just tried to tell you what I understood.

About our discussion:
You must try CUVID by yourself;
Installing the Nvidia driver is easy on most of Linux dists and you can do that, then compile the FFmpeg connecting it to CUVID as they explained in the given links. And finally, you can play your files by mpv player using CUVID.

If the outcome is proper and without any errors and lags, then I'm an adherent of you and we ask LAV to implement it for people like us. Besides, I'm ready to help him, in this case, I'll do what I could do for him.

Last edited by kral2008; 8th November 2016 at 20:29.
kral2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2016, 16:11   #21155  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
If the outcome is proper and without any errors
The outcome will not be "proper and without any errors" because CUVID does not support 10-bit output at this time, it can only do 8-bit. I explained this numereous times before. It may decode 10-bit, but then it only outputs 8, and data is lost.
I do not plan to implement any decoding mode where I know that it will deliver anything but the original unmodified image (and I also would not accept a patch or pull request to that effect, because it goes against my design philosophy)

And like I also repeated numereous times before, there is no advantage to using CUVID. Any hardware that can handle HEVC 10-bit in CUVID can also handle it in DXVA2 - so use that instead!

Please just drop this topic, its not going to get you any further. CUVID is hanging on by a thread as it is, I'm more likely to drop it entirely then to spend more time arguing about it.

Last edited by nevcairiel; 8th November 2016 at 16:20.
nevcairiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2016, 16:34   #21156  |  Link
huhn

aside from VP9 HDR primaries(if they are even present) there is another issue i have with primaries and color matrix with DVD playback the primaries and matrix isn't delivered to madVR. the DVD Navigator is used by default for this and is not able to deliver this information is this possible with the lav decoder?
Old 8th November 2016, 17:42   #21157  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
aside from VP9 HDR primaries(if they are even present) there is another issue i have with primaries and color matrix with DVD playback the primaries and matrix isn't delivered to madVR. the DVD Navigator is used by default for this and is not able to deliver this information is this possible with the lav decoder?
If the bitstream doesn't contain the data, then LAV cannot find it.

But DVDs are likely always the same old boring matrix anyway, aren't they? Why does madVR guess the wrong one?
Old 8th November 2016, 18:16   #21158  |  Link
huhn

well madVR usually guesses the primarie smpte C but most DVDs i have seen are smpte 170m.
but if the disc can be created without flags then this is not a lavfilter problem.

i'm decrypting a different disc right now where the mkv remux have flags. damn these region codes...
edit: works fine so with that disc so everything is fine on this side.

Last edited by huhn; 8th November 2016 at 18:31.
Old 8th November 2016, 21:23   #21159  |  Link
VictorLS

Quote:
you must try CUVID by yourself
I do not owe anything to anyone
but I will try CUVID in Ubuntu when will be time. I'll send you PM if I will need help. Thanks for your support.
Quote:
If the outcome is proper and without any errors and lags
I think Ubuntu will be my second OS in this case - not Win7 )
Repeat I have to boot Win7 for h265 10bit hardware decoding only.
Quote:
Ask LAV to implement it for people like us. Besides, I'm ready to help him, in this case, I'll do what I could do for him.
This is against nevcairiel's philosophy (

Last edited by VictorLS; 8th November 2016 at 21:26.
Old 9th November 2016, 00:46   #21160  |  Link
davidsama

Why has not VictorLS been banned yet? He is nothing but a bully and a troll. Always demanding things that he has no business demanding. Also remember since you pay or paid nothing for lav filters you have no right to ask or get any anything from nevcariel.
davidsama is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
decoders, directshow, filters, splitter