Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 27th November 2012, 07:23   #15821  |  Link
turbojet

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
I do think this problem is limited to resizing. Probably the video you tested with needed an anamorphic stretch, which also falls into the resizing category.
You are right it was anamorphic stretch that's the culprit, I was thinking the ffdshow resizing would take care of that but guess not. I went from 1:1 xvid to 16:9 x264, got the green line, changed the decoder and reopened and there was no green but toggling the fullscreen a few times made it reappear. This seems to happen at random while most of the time its a green line, ocassionally half green, half red, occasionally no line until player is moved to change size of the video.

Quote:
How long is twice as long? Half a second? 10 seconds? Can anybody else reproduce this?
Nevermind this, it's back to normal now, this may have been caused by the router that just died. With new router there isn't the long delay opening when streaming over wireless. No idea why 84.7 and evr was 2-3 seconds and 85.x 5-6 in the few tests, may have just been coincidence. This was all with f3kdb().spline144() in ffdshow which isn't a normal situation.

Quote:
I don't really understand what you mean here. Could you please clarify?
Scaling dxva resizing to video card performance would use a lighter resize on weak machines. Not sure this is possible but HD3000 drops some frames playing 1080p BD with dxva2 resizer and bicubic AR chroma, 80-90% gpu load.

Quote:
Well, unfortunately the queue size has a different effect for different users. E.g. on my NVidia 9400 PC I only get smooth results if I increase the default queue sizes.
Strange, 9500GT is opposite, drops frames on default 12/8 when playing BD with lanczos3ar , 6/4 doesn't but there's quite a performance difference between the two gpus: http://www.hwcompare.com/4089/geforc...-9500-gt-ddr2/ I used to get consistent dropped frames every few seconds before nvidia 30x drivers fixed it, increasing queues didn't help, but dropping backbuffer to 1 eliminated it completely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portioli View Post
At last one more question. Many people talk here about didee`s finesharp script.
Is it the same shader like the MPC-HC built-in finesharp or you need to add it using avisynth`s LSFmod?
It's an avisynth function discussion is http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=166082. If you are looking for a sharper picture Spline144resize might be worth checking out, it's a light load, I posted how to use it in this thread a few weeks ago for feature request. It's more comfortable to my eyes then finesharp used with any madvr resizer except for Jinc which I can't accurately test because of weak gpu. Finesharp+Spline144 is just too much for me and has a lot of edge artifacts but your opinion may differ.

Last edited by turbojet; 27th November 2012 at 07:46.
turbojet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2012, 08:46   #15822  |  Link
omarank

Hi Madshi

for the new version with custom pixel shader support.

I just wanted to know that when you enable 10 bit or higher output sometime in a future version, will that work on NVIDIA GeForce cards (or only Quadro cards)?

BTW, Jinc 4 taps AR for chroma upscaling and Jinc 3 taps AR for image upscaling, subjectively look the best to my eyes. I saw many people have recommended Jinc 3 taps AR for chroma. Is there anything not good about Jinc 4 taps AR, except for the performance hit?
omarank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2012, 15:07   #15823  |  Link
pie1394

Hi madshi,

I just realize that lav dxva2n decoding does not work with the old rendering path option.

With geforce driver 306.97 + ION at Win7x64, Chroma Lanczos3, Luma Bilinear scaling does produce different color output from Luma DXVA scaling for 1920x1080 --> 960x540.

See the ribbon's color...

Luma - Bilinear

Luma - DXVA

EVR - DXVA

Last edited by pie1394; 27th November 2012 at 15:26. Reason: Add EVR - DXVA image
pie1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2012, 17:56   #15824  |  Link
Carpo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blight View Post

Carpo:
MadVR does seem to support frame-advance, In Zoom Player all you need to do is press "A" (pause) and then "A" again to frame-step and "Alt+F" to take a screenshot.
might just be MPC-HC then, because it throws up a little box saying it cant do stepped frames and to use a different render
Carpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2012, 19:06   #15825  |  Link
Moony349

Quote:
Originally Posted by omarank View Post
BTW, Jinc 4 taps AR for chroma upscaling and Jinc 3 taps AR for image upscaling, subjectively look the best to my eyes. I saw many people have recommended Jinc 3 taps AR for chroma. Is there anything not good about Jinc 4 taps AR, except for the performance hit?
I use the same.

Some people like softer chroma i guess.
Moony349 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2012, 21:27   #15826  |  Link
G_M_C

Heee, i just saw that xy-VSFilter is upgraded to 3.0.0.211 Stable on the 20'th of November. Does it contain the changes you needed/were waiting for Madshi ?
G_M_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2012, 22:40   #15827  |  Link
sneaker_ger

Quote:
Originally Posted by G_M_C View Post
Heee, i just saw that xy-VSFilter is upgraded to 3.0.0.211 Stable on the 20'th of November. Does it contain the changes you needed/were waiting for Madshi ?
No, not yet.
sneaker_ger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2012, 22:50   #15828  |  Link
Mangix
Audiophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by pie1394 View Post
Hi madshi,

I just realize that lav dxva2n decoding does not work with the old rendering path option.
A lot of things don't work with the old rendering path(overlay for example). Assume it to be abandoned at this point as madshi has mentioned several times that he wants to remove it.
Mangix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2012, 02:00   #15829  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by omarank View Post
Just the extra ringing, but the "subjectively look the best to my eyes" is far more important. You must admit the differences aren't too obvious.
Asmodian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2012, 08:47   #15830  |  Link
omarank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moony349 View Post
I use the same.

Some people like softer chroma i guess.
Back when no Anti Ringing filter was available, softer chroma algorithms were preferred as the sharper ones produced glaring ringing. At least this is my understanding. Now I think if there is no issue of horsepower, the sharpest Jinc AR, which doesn't produce any artifacts, may be preferred.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
Just the extra ringing, but the "subjectively look the best to my eyes" is far more important. You must admit the differences aren't too obvious.
Is the Anti Ringing algorithm not that effective on Jinc 4 taps as it is on 3 taps? I don't see any extra ringing with 4 taps (for chroma). I haven't checked with any test pattern though. When I switch from 3 taps to 4 taps (for chroma upscaling), it adds the precise amount of sharpening which I seem to like. In case of image upscaling, I agree there are no obvious differences between 3 taps and 4 taps.

Last edited by omarank; 28th November 2012 at 09:26.
omarank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2012, 14:15   #15831  |  Link
hannes69

Quote:
Can you guys please test the following:

(1) Use software decoding and e.g. Bilinear scaling.
(2) Use native DXVA2 decoding and e.g. Bilinear scaling.
(3) Use software decoding and DXVA2 scaling.
(4) Use native DXVA2 decoding and DXVA2 scaling.
I use AMD HD4550 with Windows7/64bit.
Colors in (2), (3), (4) are the same but different from (1). Especially green is much too oversaturated. (1) stays the same by using copy-back-decoding instead of software.
DXVA-Deinterlacing works as intended, no change in colors.
Interesting: using native decoding instead of copy-back lowers cpu load as expected but as well gpu load! Furthermore dxva2 upscaling has about the same gpu load as Mitchell-Netravali.
Beside that: I really appreciate the great work of madshi with this renderer, i regularly read all topics in this thread to stay updated and I´m learning more and more from you all here. Tomorrow I get a colormunki display colorimter, time to test the ycms features
for giving us all the greatest renderer of all for free!
hannes69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2012, 16:54   #15832  |  Link

I've made a huge mistake. My GTX 570 died, so I needed a video card ASAP, and bought a GT610 to hold me over until the replacement arrives as it was the cheapest Nvidia card I could buy locally.

I wrongly assumed that being a "600" series card it would at least be capable of handling madVR, but this thing is struggling to do any kind of video scaling, with high GPU load no matter the settings. Lanczos/Jinc are out of the question, and it can't handle downscaling Blu-ray with any of the "good" options - anti-ringing or linear light scaling is too much for it, no matter the scaling used.

Even without any scaling (bilinear/nearest chroma) and decoding on the CPU, it can't handle playback of 1080p60 content.

That said, I think it must be using the same (or similar) VPU as my 570, because it has no problem decoding anything I throw at it if I do use DXVA.

But I wanted to confirm what someone else posted here earlier - DXVA2 upscaling uses quite a lot more GPU power than any of the bicubic variants do. It can't handle anything beyond that, but I'm happy with how SoftCubic 80 looks at least, and it doesn't need the anti-ringing filter. (in fact it looks better without it)
6233638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2012, 17:21   #15833  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

The 610 is a Fermi GPU (GF119), so it has a VP4 decoder, the same as in your 570. The decoders are independent of the actual GPU speed (which is truely abysmal on the 610). Only thing worse would've been a 605, but i think they only OEM that one.
Old 28th November 2012, 17:45   #15834  |  Link
Boltron

I am a long time ATI man but I reached a point in my life where I would like to see how life is on the other side. What would you Nvidia fans recommend as a good video card for my Win 7 HTPC (HDMI connected) running MC18, LAV and madVR? I mostly watch ripped blurays (raw, no compression) and 720p shows.

I want the best possible quality picture from madVR but would like to keep it real in that it is a HTPC and don't need a SLI configuration for example. Currently I use a HD7770.
Boltron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2012, 17:52   #15835  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

A GTX 660 is probably the lowest you can safely go with all the madVR options these days. Maybe a 650Ti, but i can't guarantee that. I run a 660 myself and its perfect.
Old 28th November 2012, 17:52   #15836  |  Link
wanezhiling

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
The 610 is a Fermi GPU (GF119), so it has a VP4 decoder
nev,GF119 is vp5...you forgot? gt610 is totally same with my gt520.

Of course, its a slow card.
wanezhiling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2012, 18:00   #15837  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

For that card, it doesn't really matter how fast the decoder is.
Old 28th November 2012, 18:04   #15838  |  Link

Quote:
The 610 is a Fermi GPU (GF119), so it has a VP4 decoder, the same as in your 570. The decoders are independent of the actual GPU speed (which is truely abysmal on the 610). Only thing worse would've been a 605, but i think they only OEM that one.
Ah you're right, the GT630 is the lowest-end Kepler part. I hate that they do that sort of re-branding to put old products in the "current" lineup.

Still, those were more than twice the price of the 610 locally, and my priority here was buying the cheapest card that was in stock and had an HDMI output on it, so I could actually use my computer again while waiting on a replacement 570, not buying a fanless low-power card for madVR use. I was tempted to just put that money towards a Z77 motherboard instead and use the 2500K's HD3000 (access to QuickSync would be nice) but it will be worthless next year when they switch sockets again.

I just noticed that my Lanczos had been set to 8-taps for some reason (no idea why) and it seems to be capable of handling Lanczos 3 AR for Chroma, with Lanczos 3 for Luma upscaling 720p30 content. It may be able to handle Lanczos 3 AR luma with Bilinear chroma at a push. Jinc is out of the question, of course.

I haven't tried changing the flush settings to see if I can get some extra performance out of it. (I've left them at the defaults ever since the presentation glitches issue was fixed)
I can probably overclock the card as well - even though it's fanless, there's a lot of airflow in my case.

I was just surprised to see that on a low power card, where you would think it would matter the most, DXVA2 scaling pushes GPU load higher than any of the Bicubic variants, by about 10-20% in some cases.
Old 28th November 2012, 18:07   #15839  |  Link
wanezhiling

Quote:
A GTX 660 is probably the lowest you can safely go with all the madVR options these days. Maybe a 650Ti, but i can't guarantee that. I run a 660 myself and its perfect.
Is your 660 capable of Jinc8,nev?
Im also searching a nice kepler card for game and video both.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6233638 View Post
the GT630 is the lowest-end Kepler part.
No, GT630 is a Fermi GPU(GF108).

Last edited by wanezhiling; 28th November 2012 at 18:09.
wanezhiling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2012, 18:13   #15840  |  Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanezhiling View Post
No, GT630 is a Fermi GPU(GF108).
Wikipedia had it listed as a GK107. Either way, a Kepler part was out of my price range, when it's not a card I intend on using for more than a week, and then keeping around as a backup.

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling