Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 23rd September 2012, 22:14   #14021  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reith View Post
00000123 Render This GPU/driver does not support Overlay mode.
Quote:
Originally Posted by strumf666 View Post
Running hd7750, Cat 12.8 on win7 x64 and Potplayer:

00001634 Render Overlay supported: -
Yeah, same results for all AMD users: Overlay not supported by the AMD driver, unfortunately!

NVidia and Intel seem to support it just fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmone View Post
If you try to switch to "Enable Windowed Overlay" when playing a vide you get a red madVR error saying the GPU could not be restarted (I can get the exact msg if needed).
Can you create a madVR debug log for that? FWIW, it works here, but tested with MPC-HC. Anyway, no big deal, I guess, since there's no real need to change these settings in the middle of playing a video...
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2012, 22:41   #14022  |  Link
jmone

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Can you create a madVR debug log for that? FWIW, it works here, but tested with MPC-HC. Anyway, no big deal, I guess, since there's no real need to change these settings in the middle of playing a video...
Correct no big deal as you would just change it once. Tried swapping between Exclusive and the new mode and this time I did not see the error msg but the Video would just freese though the movie (inc sound) would still place. Here is the log file. - https://dl.dropbox.com/u/59011278/madVR%20-%20log.zip
jmone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2012, 23:32   #14023  |  Link
Boltron

Ok so I just don't get it. Madshi has created the ultimate renderer with a variety of scaling algorithms and even anti-ringing filters. So many people on this thread debate the best settings for these.

Why is it when I try playing around with these settings, I don't see a difference? Am I that much of a loser I can see GPU usage change but that's about it. I try switching between Mitchell-Netravali to Lanczos 4 with AR filter for chroma and luma upscaling for example.

I am testing on a 1920x1200 24" IPS monitor. My movies are all Bluray rips to mkvs at full resolution and no compression. I have been testing a few movies including Avatar and Pulp Fiction. I haven't tried any tests on my htpc and 55" TV.

Can anyone enlighten me
Boltron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2012, 23:41   #14024  |  Link
Keiyakusha
契約者

Boltron
If you watch blurays (or full reslolution rips) on this screen, obviously no scaling occurs. Except for chroma but this is not something average user can see. In fact many features are just toys for perfectionists and not easily seen if you just watch stuff and not comparing screencaps under 800% magnification. And the real difference between some algorithms is really pretty low even under close artificial comparison.

Last edited by Keiyakusha; 23rd September 2012 at 23:43.
Keiyakusha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2012, 00:02   #14025  |  Link
Gary.M

Quote:
JR Media Centre: Did a quick test and looks good with...
What's required with jrmc? Just drop the updated madvr on top of the jrmc installed one?

Sent using Tapatalk
Gary.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2012, 01:03   #14026  |  Link
Pat357

Just installed 0.83.1.... missed 0.83..
First impressions :

- New windowed-Overlay mode works nice : no tearing anymore in windowed mode !!
- No problems on closing player yet discovered.

I'm going to make some more tests..

NV gtx-570 / i7-970 Hexa-core @3.9Ghz / Win7 / all latest drivers
Pat357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2012, 01:43   #14027  |  Link
Pat357

Quote:
Originally Posted by neuron2 View Post
Oh, sorry for not seeing that, I didn't realize I had PureVideo deinterlacing enabled when I viewed it.

Still, my answer was correct for the field mode selection.

BTW, DGDecNV 2043rc1 now supports DXVA-quality deinterlacing.
Hmm.. sounds very nice !
Any binaries available for testing it ?
Thx.
Pat357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2012, 03:02   #14028  |  Link
ryrynz

Overly mode is not affecting IQ here on my Intel HD3000, have switched to using it. GPU utilization is down 5% when enabled.
Is it possible to have the filename displayed on the left hand side of the seekbar in exclusive mode? Or perhaps done in the same fashion as in MPC-BE (filename within the seekbar)
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2012, 03:20   #14029  |  Link

One small suggestion:
List all hotkeys in a separate text file, it is hard to find a specific one in the loooooong changelog

Thanks in advance
27049215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2012, 03:44   #14030  |  Link
gvanbrunt

I also tested overlay on JRiver Media Center with Nvidia card. It works great. I have to use exclusive as windowed caused occasional glitches. Works as good as exclusive so far, but I haven't tested very long.

If this works smoothly for most people I would say it should be default. That way noobs etc get best experience by default.
gvanbrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2012, 04:09   #14031  |  Link
jmone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary.M View Post
What's required with jrmc? Just drop the updated madvr on top of the jrmc installed one?

Sent using Tapatalk
Yup, drop it over the top of the instance in C:\Users\{USERNAME}\AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center 18\Plugins\madvr (or wait till JR rolls out the new version)
jmone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2012, 04:14   #14032  |  Link
oddball

I have an issue I don't know whether is in the splitter, the decoder, the renderer or even the player. Using latest offical build of MPC-HC and LAV filters for splitting and decoding. I mentioned it in the MPC thread but want to ask here too just in case it's something related to MadVR. When I try to play 29.970p material using auto switching in either MPC or MadVR it outputs as 23.976Hz instead of 59.940Hz and I get tons of dropped frames (actually looks smooth on one video but jerky on another). Any ideas?
oddball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2012, 04:16   #14033  |  Link
ryrynz

Overlay's screen maximizing/minimizing isn't particularly elegant (black/green screen for a couple of seconds) can that be improved? Same deal with resizing (although I don't expect many users to be doing this)
Upon playback and player close I get a black screen for a second. HD3000 (W7 2849 drivers) and the player does need to be restarted once it's enabled (video changes to a black screen)

As it currently stands I wouldn't enable it by default.

Last edited by ryrynz; 24th September 2012 at 04:26.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2012, 04:27   #14034  |  Link
oddball

Actually I think I am being dense. Isn't 29.970 IVTC'd to 23.976 on-the-fly? I am getting frame drops like crazy though and it's jerking all over the shop.

EDIT: Nevermind. I think I figured it out. When doing IVTC does MadVR show the discarded frames as frame drops? The jerky video playback appears to be an issue with this encode switching between pure 23.976 and 29.97.

Last edited by oddball; 24th September 2012 at 05:54.
oddball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2012, 05:15   #14035  |  Link
Keiyakusha
契約者

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
Overlay's screen maximizing/minimizing isn't particularly elegant (black/green screen for a couple of seconds) can that be improved?
I also have green screen. Also transparent parts of the window are opaque and greenish.
Keiyakusha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2012, 05:53   #14036  |  Link
SamKook

I haven't looked into it in details, but I have a macro key that resize the player(brings up the menu using alt+space and a bunch of arrows and enters afterwards with 10ms delays between each keys) to remove black bars for 720p video and move the player on the right so I can see stuff in the background on the left, but with overlay enabled, it seems that the player takes too long to react to the change and it doesn't get resized but kind of tries while staying the same size(the player does get moved to the right like it should though).

I mostly use the FSE mode and only switch out of it to check on whats in the background for a few seconds so I disabled overlay, but in it's current state, it's not ideal. Kind of like using directx11 which took too long to initialize and made my tv think it lost the signal for a second. If there is a way to speed up its response time it would be much better.
SamKook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2012, 06:56   #14037  |  Link
cyberbeing
Broadband Junkie

For the next version, you should add a note to the settings dialog that Overlay mode will disable any calibrated GPU Gamma Ramps. It may also be a good idea to move Windowed Overlay into either the 'Calibration' section, considering GPU Gamma Ramps need to be taken into account when creating a 3DLUT, or the 'Trade Quality for Performance' section.
cyberbeing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2012, 07:23   #14038  |  Link
Andy o

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddball View Post
Actually I think I am being dense. Isn't 29.970 IVTC'd to 23.976 on-the-fly? I am getting frame drops like crazy though and it's jerking all over the shop.

EDIT: Nevermind. I think I figured it out. When doing IVTC does MadVR show the discarded frames as frame drops? The jerky video playback appears to be an issue with this encode switching between pure 23.976 and 29.97.
Are you forcing IVTC? That's only for interlaced content. If you have a progressive 29.97 source which was reencoded from original 24p encoded in 59i, like many anime titles, you don't need to IVTC. You'll have to just do decimation, which I don't know if madVR is designed to do right now. I use avisynth, I think it's tdecimate or some such, I set it up in ffdshow.
Old 24th September 2012, 08:00   #14039  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Tried swapping between Exclusive and the new mode and this time I did not see the error msg but the Video would just freese though the movie (inc sound) would still place. Here is the log file. - https://dl.dropbox.com/u/59011278/madVR%20-%20log.zip
Hmmmm... Everything looks alright in that log. I think madVR just failed to update the color key in this specific situation. That shouldn't be too hard to fix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltron View Post
Why is it when I try playing around with these settings, I don't see a difference?
The scaling algorithms can only show a difference if you actually put them to use. When watching Blu-Rays on a 1080p display there is no scaling performed at all (except for Chroma upsampling). Try upscaling a very good (sharp & detailed) DVD to 1080p, then you might see bigger differences between the various scaling algorithms. If the source is soft, the scaling algorithms won't show much of a difference. And if you scale only by a very small amount, you might not be able to see much of a difference, either. Generally, the differences between the various algorithms are not like night and day, except maybe for Nearest Neighbor upscaling which looks very different for big upscaling factors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat357 View Post
First impressions :

- New windowed-Overlay mode works nice : no tearing anymore in windowed mode !!
- No problems on closing player yet discovered.
Quote:
Overly mode is not affecting IQ here on my Intel HD3000, have switched to using it. GPU utilization is down 5% when enabled.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvanbrunt View Post
I also tested overlay on JRiver Media Center with Nvidia card. It works great. I have to use exclusive as windowed caused occasional glitches. Works as good as exclusive so far, but I haven't tested very long.
Glad to hear it works well for some of you guys, thanks for the feedback! It's working quite well with my NVidia 9400, too.

Quote:
Is it possible to have the filename displayed on the left hand side of the seekbar in exclusive mode? Or perhaps done in the same fashion as in MPC-BE (filename within the seekbar)
Possible? Yes. The problem is that if I start adding one thing after the next to the seekbar, it will be flooded with information pretty well. You're asking for the filename, the next user might ask for some other information to be added, e.g. the video decoder or the video codec. I think some day in the future I'll have to make a list of what should be shown and then find a new seekbar/UI design for exclusive mode which shows all the needed information. For now I'd like to keep things as simple as possible. I think the position/runtime information I added now was the most important missing thing. Everything else (like filename, decoder, codec etc) are nice extras which aren't really crucial. As such I'd like to delay adding them until I do a complete redesign of the exclusive mode UI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 27049215 View Post
One small suggestion:
List all hotkeys in a separate text file, it is hard to find a specific one in the loooooong changelog
Adding customizeable hotkeys is on the top of my to do list. That will nicely replace such a text file.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddball View Post
When I try to play 29.970p material using auto switching in either MPC or MadVR it outputs as 23.976Hz instead of 59.940Hz and I get tons of dropped frames (actually looks smooth on one video but jerky on another). Any ideas?
The only way to play 29.970p/59.940i material in 23.976Hz is by using proper IVTC. That's only possible for pure movie content, of course. Depending on how the content was encoded, you may have to force madVR to turn on deinterlacing, furthermore you'll have to force madVR into film mode. Then it should work, if the content is really telecined movie content. If it's not clean telecined movie content, then displaying it as 23.976Hz won't work. In that case you should go 59.940Hz.

Quote:
Overlay's screen maximizing/minimizing isn't particularly elegant (black/green screen for a couple of seconds) can that be improved? Same deal with resizing (although I don't expect many users to be doing this)
Upon playback and player close I get a black screen for a second. HD3000 (W7 2849 drivers) and the player does need to be restarted once it's enabled (video changes to a black screen)
I should be able to fix the player restarting problem, maybe the black screen (not sure). I kinda doubt I can do much about the maximizing/minimizing/resizing. But I'll try...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamKook View Post
I haven't looked into it in details, but I have a macro key that resize the player(brings up the menu using alt+space and a bunch of arrows and enters afterwards with 10ms delays between each keys) to remove black bars for 720p video and move the player on the right so I can see stuff in the background on the left, but with overlay enabled, it seems that the player takes too long to react to the change and it doesn't get resized but kind of tries while staying the same size(the player does get moved to the right like it should though).
It stays that way forever? Or does it just take a long time (how long?) to resize properly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbeing View Post
For the next version, you should add a note to the settings dialog that Overlay mode will disable any calibrated GPU Gamma Ramps. It may also be a good idea to move Windowed Overlay into either the 'Calibration' section, considering GPU Gamma Ramps need to be taken into account when creating a 3DLUT, or the 'Trade Quality for Performance' section.
Nobody will look for this option in the calibration section, so moving it there would be really confusing for most users. Hmmmm... Overlay disables GPU gamma ramps? I didn't know that! That might be a good sign, though: It could indicate that the GPU lets overlay content passthrough untouched.
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2012, 08:06   #14040  |  Link
cyberbeing
Broadband Junkie

Overlay mode has its own unique color and gamma controls (though these have no effect on madVR, so I assume driver defaults are used?) which are completely separate and ignore the global Gamma Ramps and Color Controls, at least that's how it's always been with NVIDIA.

Last edited by cyberbeing; 24th September 2012 at 08:09.
cyberbeing is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling