Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 3rd October 2015, 11:35   #33301  |  Link
huhn

can you make a screen from the OSD?.

hybrid decoding is eating your GPU so there is most likely little to nothing left for madVR.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2015, 11:38   #33302  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
hybrid decoding is eating your GPU so there is most likely little to nothing left for madVR.
Braswell actually has a full hardware 8-bit decoder.
Old 3rd October 2015, 11:54   #33303  |  Link
rbej

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
can you make a screen from the OSD?.

Window DXVA Scaling On

http://images68.fotosik.pl/1226/e934603a003a835d.jpg

Full Screen DXVA Scaling Off

http://images70.fotosik.pl/1225/386a638f86a47801.jpg
rbej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2015, 12:14   #33304  |  Link
huhn

yeah it's 8 bit HEVC in this case.

the screens look borderline fine.

you can try an different presentation mode like overlay.

fullscreen takes a lot more processing power than windowed in your case and i don't think it is just dithering more pixel.
you can use GPU-z to have a look at the powerstates too.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2015, 12:40   #33305  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zveroboy View Post
The problem started with v.0.88.6
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...55#post1722055

Ups... Sorry. I checked again - the problem started with madVR-0.88.2

madVR-0.88.1 -- OK
madVR-0.88.2 -- "disable desktop composition" is not working
Ah, thanks! I think I know what this is:

The D3D11 presentation mode *requires* desktop composition to be enabled. So if you activate D3D11 presentation mode, madVR cannot disable desktop composition, anymore. Can you confirm that when disabling D3D11 presentation mode, disabling desktop composition works fine again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan View Post
I updated from .2 to madVR v0.89.5 today and since then I cannot move an already playing video frame (mpc-hc) to a second monitor. The picture just freezes but the sound continues to play.
Can you try producing a freeze report like this:

In the frozen situation press Ctrl+Alt+Shift+Pause/Break, then wait for 10 seconds, then there should be a freeze report text file appearing on your desktop. Upload that somewhere (don't attach it to this forum, takes too long to get approved).

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6233638 View Post
There is definitely some weirdness with D3D11 in Windows 10.
I couldn't say whether it's the NVIDIA drivers, DWM changes, the introduction of virtual desktops/aero snap changes, or something else which is causing it.
I had to reduce the queue sizes to 6 to at least minimize how often things would occur.
I would end up with out-of-order frame presentation (looked like movement was jumping back and forth), screen tearing, or dropped frames.
And when playing multiple videos in succession in JRiver, it would "lose focus" after the first video and play in FSW rather than FSE - despite being in front of all the other applications.

None of this was consistently reproducible, which is why I haven't filed a bug report.
Due to those issues with madVR, and a lot of issues with other applications - including the OS itself - I've had to return to Windows 8.1.
10 really feels like a beta release right now, and I don't have the time to spend troubleshooting it at the moment.
There are definitely some things that it improves upon compared to 8.1, but it just doesn't feel finished.
That sounds pretty disappointing. FWIW, I think this is more likely to be a problem with the NVidia drivers than with Windows 10 itself, but I'm not 100% sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeFall View Post
Is this a user configurable option? I can't find it in the zoom control settings tab or anywhere else, using Windows 7 x64 Pro.
It only exists in the "screen config" device settings page if you have a projector. The reason for that is that this option is mostly only useful for CIW (constant image width) front projection owners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chros View Post
Guys, can I test chroma upscaling with image comparison like madshi did with luma in this post? http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...th#post1730855
It's possible, but difficult, due to 2 reasons:

1) You'd need to find an image, ideally some high quality RGB photo, where different chroma upscaling algorithms would show clear differences. In order to find such an image, you need to know what to look for. E.g. dark content with lots of black and red usually is a good idea. You should use an RGB photo which has full resolution chroma, maybe even scale it down a bit in RGB, so that the chroma channels really have full resolution and quality.

2) You need to convert the image to YCbCr 4:2:0, and you can't do that by simple downscaling chroma. You need to use the correct chroma offset, too! The chroma channel is not in center position compared to luma channel. It's slightly offset for all newer video codecs (MPEG2, h264, VC-1, h265 etc). Maybe LAV Video Decoder applies the proper offset when forcing it to output NV12? I'm not sure. @nevcairiel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS-DOS View Post
Zoom control doesn't work for me with native DXVA decoding. Is that intended or I should make a bug report ?
I wouldn't say "as intended". I'd like it to work for native DXVA decoding, too, but it's currently not possible to make that work because all the logic is running on the CPU. It's the same as with the forced film mode and with the deband "fade" detection. All that runs on the CPU and thus doesn't work when using native DXVA decoding. Maybe I can make it work at some point in the future. But it doesn't have high priority atm. IMHO for best quality you should use DXVA copyback or software decoding, anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tFWo View Post
Subtitles position (edit: and size, they become smaller) is wrong when upscaling with latest madVR and MPC-HC(internal subtitle renderer).
Does this test build fix it?

http://madshi.net/madVR895kasper.rar

Quote:
Originally Posted by videonerd View Post
DontRenderAfterStop does eliminates blank frame during playrate change but still introduces some lag during playrate changes (both increase and decrease). The lag duration seems to depend on the bitrate of the file. The behaviour of the renderer seems to still be different from pre 88.16.
If it depends on the bitrate of the file then it points to the decoder being rather slow. Was 88.16 really that much faster in this situation? That would surprise me. In any case, I've implemented a special hack for you guys, I'm not going to spend hours on improving this purely cosmetical problem. Those hours would be much better invested in other things atm, to be frank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by videonerd View Post
I also notice the following - when playrate changes, the renderer temporarily displays a future frame (presumably the last frame in the buffer) before reverting to the earlier frame (with DontRenderAfterStop).
That sounds weird. Are you sure 88.16 didn't have this problem? I can't imagine why this should be a new problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindz View Post
I ran in to a problem with a 1920x1080 resolution tv serie, this doesnt honor the DXVA scaling, since there is no scaling needed, but chroma still needs to be scaled. So it 'falls back' to my choice in the chroma scaling option and therefor gets bad render times (im using Intel), instead of using DXVA for chroma scaling.
Yeah, you're right. The reason for that is that I'm not offering DXVA as a chroma upscaling choice at all right now (except in combination with DXVA scaling/decoding/deinterlacing), because I don't think DXVA is a good choice for that. I think DXVA chroma scaling is properly rather bad quality, anyway. So you could just as well simply set chroma upscaling to "bilinear" to get good performance with probably similar quality. And you still gain high quality color conversion by not using DXVA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbej View Post
I found strange bug.

When i playing any 1080p 60fps movie in window - madVR show "image < DXVA". Playback is very smooth, without drops and skips. When i switch to full screen "image < DXVA" disappear and playback is poor with drops and skips. Why??. On EVR everything is ok.

I have NUC5PPYH (Braswell CPU), Windows 10 Home, last version MPC-HC, Lav filters and madVR.

madVR all scaling option set to DXVA2.
Can you upload a debug log for me? 20 seconds windowed playback, then 20 seconds fullscreen playback, then please close the media player directly, if possible without switching back to windowed again. Please zip the debug log and upload it somewhere (don't attach to this forum). Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YGPMOLE View Post
The changer is not active, D3D9 is used (D3D11 not checket). With the previous version of madVR I never got problems, now with Windows 10 and the new build I got this issue.

Maybe important to say that the 23.976 fps (doubled with Avisynth in FFDShow to 47.952) remains stable and on the same memory bank even in fullscreen exclusive mode: it changes only with the 25fps (doubled to 50fps in the same way) to the 60Hz memory bank.
This is probably a GPU driver issue, maybe in combination with D3D9. You could try if D3D11 improves the situation. Or try enabling the madVR display mode switcher and entering those refresh rates you want madVR to use. Then madVR will try its best to force Direct3D to use the correct refresh rates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YGPMOLE View Post
And now I discovered another little issue: some subtitle from .MKV tv series are displayed in the center of the screen (in the middle of the image, to be clear), when with the 89.2 build were correctly displayed at the bottom of it. It doesen't happend with the DVD or BD subtitles (it may depend from the type of subtitle used in the .MKV? But I got no problem with them before this "subtitles manager version"...).

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMonarchY View Post
Damn, the stutter-after-pause is still not fixed and occurs no matter what I try. Its quite annoying having to:
- close the video file
- experience screen-flash refresh rate change from 23Hz to 60Hz (Desktop is @ 60Hz and video files are @ 23Hz)
- open the file again
- experience another screen-flash refresh rate from 60Hz to 23Hz
- find the right spot to continue watching your video file (although I learned to remember the time at which I closed the video file to get back to watching quicker).

Is this bug on the list of "To-be-fixed soon" list?
Can you please make two screenshots of the debug OSD, one when playback is fine, and another when when that stuttering occurs? Does the OSD report frame drops/glitches when the stuttering occurs? Are the queues filled or empty? Which OS, which GPU?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonQ View Post
Haven't got any logs but MadVR 0.89.5 is pretty unstable for me. About half of the time, MPC-HC doesn't exit properly when I close it, plus sometimes I'll open a video and the audio will play with no video. If I switch to EVR it plays fine. Hopefully I'm not the only one.
Does it crash or freeze? If it freezes, can you please create a freeze report and it upload it somewhere (don't attach to this forum)? Ctrl+Alt+Shift+Pause/Break.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansrfe View Post
Chroma upscaling is set to super-xbr and Image upscaling is set to Jinc3 AR; no profiles on either. The visual anomaly happens due to a large queue drop from the frame Cinemascope -> IMAX changes. Maybe the GPU can't adapt fast enough. The queue fills up about a second after the transition.

Would it be prudent to have a setting that alters the crop a handful of frames before having a relatively large increase in the resolution in the next scene? I increased the GPU/present queue sizes however it doesn't seem to make a difference in this case.
You didn't answer my question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marnes View Post
Is there anything in madvr about tearing that I'm possibly missing?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadyCrab View Post
Just want to report spontaneous tearing issues as well. Win 10, GTX 960, newest NVidia driver. DX11 presentation (present every V-Sync ticked), only occurs in Fullscreen Windowed. Also newest MPC-HC nightly build. Its always fixed by simply changing the window size. It can occur less often in the middle of playback, more often when resuming playback.

This might somehow be related to having a multi-monitor setup, both by HDMI at 1080p. There doesn't seem to be anything I can do to 100% prevent tearing except for Fullscreen Exclusive. This isn't something I remember occurring before the time of, say the Win 10 RTM launch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aufkrawall View Post
When you have tearing problems, it's likely not the fault of madVR.
Since Windows Vista, tearing shouldn't even be possible with GPU desktop composition, which can't be turned off anymore since Windows 8. So it's very likely a weird driver or configuration problem.
^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kranium View Post
I upgraded to 89.5 and 0.66 LAV last night and was playing around with some options.

In animated content, I notice that if I use the SuperRes filter in Chroma Upscaling and use SuperRes in upscaling refinement; I get a bit of ringing and lines that are not smooth and are over sharpened. It doesn't get all that much better when I reduce the strength or increase the number of passes. Does this seem like normal behavior?
I don't know. Screenshots? If you get aliasing try increasing the SuperRes radius a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kranium View Post
I eventually settled on SuperRes in upscaling refinement and adaptive sharpen in the image enhancements section. Without adaptive sharpen, the lines seemed to fade in 480p > 1080p scaling.
Can you show screenshots that shows this "the lines seemed to fade" problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6ari8 View Post
When playing some files the OSD shows this: [...]

When most of the time it shows:
Chroma>xxx
Image>xxx

Can some one explain why this happens?
This looks like a bug. When using super-xbr, luma and chroma should be treated the same way, so I have to check why the OSD reports them with different scaling paths.

Quote:
Originally Posted by panetesan2k6 View Post
Just a suggestion for Madshi.

Would it be possible to add OSD On/off to the pop-up menu from the system tray icon?
Yes, it would be possible. But I'm not sure how useful it would be. You're the first user ever to ask for this, so I have my doubts. Generally I would really like to keep the OSD tray icon menu as light weight as possible. Adding lots and lots of new menu items there will make it harder to use for everyone. So there should be a *VERY* good reason to add something there, and I'm not seeing it right now for OSD on/off.
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2015, 13:03   #33306  |  Link
mogli

Thanks, the kasper test build fixed the small and wrongly positioned subtitles for me.
mogli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2015, 13:48   #33307  |  Link
Ver Greeneyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogli View Post
Thanks, the kasper test build fixed the small and wrongly positioned subtitles for me.
It doesn't fix it for me. Here's a small sample that still shows the problem. I'm using MPC-HC's internal renderer on the latest 64-bit Nightly build (1.7.9.165).
Ver Greeneyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2015, 13:54   #33308  |  Link
tFWo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ver Greeneyes View Post
It doesn't fix it for me. Here's a small sample that still shows the problem. I'm using MPC-HC's internal renderer on the latest 64-bit Nightly build (1.7.9.165).
That's beacuse madshi only uploaded 32bit madvr.ax in the kasper build file. In the MPC-BE thread you can find his upload with both 32 and 64bit files.
tFWo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2015, 14:09   #33309  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Here's a test build with both 32bit and 64bit files:

http://madshi.net/madVR895c.rar
Old 3rd October 2015, 14:20   #33310  |  Link
Ver Greeneyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by tFWo View Post
That's beacuse madshi only uploaded 32bit madvr.ax in the kasper build file. In the MPC-BE thread you can find his upload with both 32 and 64bit files.
Oh, that's embarrassing - I completely forgot about the 32-bit/64-bit split.

Quote:
Here's a test build with both 32bit and 64bit files:

http://madshi.net/madVR895c.rar
Yep, that fixes it. Thanks madshi!
Ver Greeneyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2015, 15:17   #33311  |  Link
rbej

How enable debug mode in madVR?.

When i run "activate debug mode" - "file madVR.ax not found'. Very strange. madVR.ax is here.....
Old 3rd October 2015, 16:07   #33312  |  Link
Siso
Soul Seeker

OK, a small question regarding the internal subtitles in mpc-hc,mpc-be and potplayer - when they are enabled madvr's max stats jump up to 50% example: from 15 ms to 25 ms -30 ms. This happen when subtitles are shown on screen. CPU xeon 5650 @ 3,6 ghz 6 cores, video card GTX 550 TI 314.22 drivers, tried new drivers same result.
Siso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2015, 16:10   #33313  |  Link
kasper93
MPC-HC Developer

@Siso: Try latest MPC-HC's beta version https://nightly.mpc-hc.org/ It shouldn't affect madVR's render times anymore.

Last edited by kasper93; 3rd October 2015 at 16:35.
kasper93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2015, 16:49   #33314  |  Link
Siso
Soul Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasper93 View Post
@Siso: Try latest MPC-HC's beta version https://nightly.mpc-hc.org/ It shouldn't affect madVR's render times anymore.
I tried it but not much of a difference...
Siso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2015, 17:17   #33315  |  Link
rbej

Quote:

Can you upload a debug log for me? 20 seconds windowed playback, then 20 seconds fullscreen playback, then please close the media player directly, if possible without switching back to windowed again. Please zip the debug log and upload it somewhere (don't attach to this forum). Thanks.
Full screen DXVA Scaling Off

http://www18.zippyshare.com/v/hDhY6T1f/file.html

Windowed playback (DXVA Scaling On) with debug mode is very poor. Without debug mode windowed playback is very smooth.
Old 3rd October 2015, 17:42   #33316  |  Link
zveroboy

Quote:
Ah, thanks! I think I know what this is:

The D3D11 presentation mode *requires* desktop composition to be enabled. So if you activate D3D11 presentation mode, madVR cannot disable desktop composition, anymore.
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...68#post1722068

Quote:
Can you confirm that when disabling D3D11 presentation mode, disabling desktop composition works fine again?
No. The check box "use Direct3D 11 for presentation" is off, but disabling desktop composition dont work.
0.89.5 - the same behavior.
zveroboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2015, 18:12   #33317  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Here is a new test build for those that had freezes with v0.89.5 when closing the media player, or when switching video files, or moving the media player to a different monitor:

http://madshi.net/madVR895d.rar

Does this build fix those freezes/stability issues?

Quote:
How enable debug mode in madVR?.

When i run "activate debug mode" - "file madVR.ax not found'. Very strange. madVR.ax is here.....
If the batch file doesn't work, open it with an editor to see what it does, and do it manually instead. The batch file simply renames some files, it's very simple.

Quote:
Full screen DXVA Scaling Off

Windowed playback (DXVA Scaling On) with debug mode is very poor. Without debug mode windowed playback is very smooth.
That's strange, there should be no big difference between debug and release builds.

Anyway, the log only contains fullscreen playback. I asked for 20 seconds windowed and fullscreen each, so I can compare.

Quote:
No. The check box "use Direct3D 11 for presentation" is off, but disabling desktop composition dont work.
0.89.5 - the same behavior.
Ok, try this build from the top of this comment. Does that help?
Old 3rd October 2015, 18:55   #33318  |  Link
zveroboy

Quote:
Ok, try this build from the top of this comment. Does that help?
Yes.
madVR895d is OK.
Many thanks!
zveroboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2015, 18:58   #33319  |  Link
rbej

Quote:

Anyway, the log only contains fullscreen playback. I asked for 20 seconds windowed and fullscreen each, so I can compare.
Windowed mode

http://www69.zippyshare.com/v/8GnhYMKu/file.html

Full screen mode

Old 3rd October 2015, 19:29   #33320  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
madVR895d is OK.
Good to hear!

Quote:
Ok, thanks. Which trade quality for performance options do you have set?

The new windowed mode doesn't work well for you?

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling