Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > DVD & BD Rebuilder

Old 16th March 2009, 17:35   #2081  |  Link
tekmobile
Webmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by spida_singh View Post
jdobbs....

Excellent program first off. But, more of a request than a bug report, but necessary as it could be classed as a bug in this thread. Whilst encoding Hellboy 2 (Movie only), my sister accidently took the disc out to play another movie on the pc. BDRB was minimsed. The job ran fine, and completed as if it was all successful, media info gave the correct duration. But, it came to light later when she told me she took the disc out, that the full movie had not been encoded. when playing back the stream, VLC reported it was a full length movie (full duration displayed), but, I can really only view up to about 45 minutes into the film (I could not seek to the end of the movie). I originally thought that BDRB had demuxed the files, and then ran off the workfiles folder, as no warning was given when the disc was ejected.

But now I can confirm that even though the job stated it ran 100%, and vlc as well media info reported back the correct duration of the stream, it was not all there in the end result, the file size was also correct.

Im just asking if it's possible to as a warning to state the disc has been ejected.

Unfortuantly I deleted the workfiles folder, and have started the job again, (so no logs etc) making sure the disc will not be ejected.

Many thanks
I also had this same problem doing a encode over a network (the image was stored an a windows home server) network connectivity was briefly interupted and BD-RB just proceeded to the next file without errors I wouldnt have known if it wasnt for the encode finishing much sooner than expected and obviously when testing
tekmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2009, 21:55   #2082  |  Link
Furiousflea

Quote:
jdobbs....

Excellent program first off. But, more of a request than a bug report, but necessary as it could be classed as a bug in this thread. Whilst encoding Hellboy 2 (Movie only), my sister accidently took the disc out to play another movie on the pc. BDRB was minimsed. The job ran fine, and completed as if it was all successful, media info gave the correct duration. But, it came to light later when she told me she took the disc out, that the full movie had not been encoded. when playing back the stream, VLC reported it was a full length movie (full duration displayed), but, I can really only view up to about 45 minutes into the film (I could not seek to the end of the movie). I originally thought that BDRB had demuxed the files, and then ran off the workfiles folder, as no warning was given when the disc was ejected.

But now I can confirm that even though the job stated it ran 100%, and vlc as well media info reported back the correct duration of the stream, it was not all there in the end result, the file size was also correct.

Im just asking if it's possible to as a warning to state the disc has been ejected.

Unfortuantly I deleted the workfiles folder, and have started the job again, (so no logs etc) making sure the disc will not be ejected.

BTW: Using latest version 0.20.03

Many thanks
I doubt very much this will be implemented. BDRB is designed for use with sources that have already been ripped to the hard drive. If your using AnyDVD HD just use the built in ripper or windows explorer and copy all the folders to a folder on your hard drive and load that folder into BDRB.

Encoding straight from a disc is ALWAYS a bad idea unless you simply can't make enough space for the process when ripping the disc to your computer. It places a lot of strain on your Bluray drive too. Encodes can take 10+ hours and reading with your bluray drive constantly like that is not a good idea generally speaking.

You'll have more reliable results reading from the hard drive also because you might find there is an error on the disc and then BDRB enocdes it, it won't "try again" like a disc ripper would by reducing the read speed right down etc.

Hope your getting what I'm saying. Rip it to your hard drive first always.
Furiousflea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2009, 21:59   #2083  |  Link
Furiousflea

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekmobile View Post
I also had this same problem doing a encode over a network (the image was stored an a windows home server) network connectivity was briefly interupted and BD-RB just proceeded to the next file without errors I wouldnt have known if it wasnt for the encode finishing much sooner than expected and obviously when testing
Same as the above really. And it is not a critisism of your method but for best results and to avoid those potential problems its a dead cert bad idea to encode from disc\network storage. Especially a NAS many of them don't like the massive bluray m2ts files and crash after copying large ones.

In any case, BDRB like DVDRB isn't really desinged as a simple "1 click" type tool (I don't think at least). So it might be a bit more hassle to have it on your local hard drive but hey, you're going to get good results hopefully that way.
Old 17th March 2009, 00:10   #2084  |  Link
spida_singh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furiousflea View Post
I doubt very much this will be implemented. BDRB is designed for use with sources that have already been ripped to the hard drive. If your using AnyDVD HD just use the built in ripper or windows explorer and copy all the folders to a folder on your hard drive and load that folder into BDRB.

Encoding straight from a disc is ALWAYS a bad idea unless you simply can't make enough space for the process when ripping the disc to your computer. It places a lot of strain on your Bluray drive too. Encodes can take 10+ hours and reading with your bluray drive constantly like that is not a good idea generally speaking.

You'll have more reliable results reading from the hard drive also because you might find there is an error on the disc and then BDRB enocdes it, it won't "try again" like a disc ripper would by reducing the read speed right down etc.

Hope your getting what I'm saying. Rip it to your hard drive first always.
Thats fine, it's handy from disc, saves time ripping, though i understand ripping to hard drive will always be best, il have to run my jobs during the night i guess. Thanks
spida_singh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2009, 02:40   #2085  |  Link
GaPony

Saves time ripping????? How about ripping to the HDD saves you from having a Blu-Ray drive die prematurely. If that argument doesn't sway you, I would think the slow transfer rate of the optical drive would be enough to sell you on the idea of working from a folder on the hard drive.

I don't see where working from the optical drive is handy under any circumstances. The possibility for errors is exponentially greater, it would seem.
GaPony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2009, 10:36   #2086  |  Link
spida_singh

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaPony View Post
Saves time ripping????? How about ripping to the HDD saves you from having a Blu-Ray drive die prematurely. If that argument doesn't sway you, I would think the slow transfer rate of the optical drive would be enough to sell you on the idea of working from a folder on the hard drive.

I don't see where working from the optical drive is handy under any circumstances. The possibility for errors is exponentially greater, it would seem.
Relax....I am not a heavy encoder, i do the odd blu ray now and then, it takes a total of 6 hours max to do the highest quality backup using BD-RB. 3.4Ghz Q6600 under my hood

I will backup from HDD from now on....id rather have a drive than not
Old 17th March 2009, 12:20   #2087  |  Link
Furiousflea

Quote:
Relax....I am not a heavy encoder, i do the odd blu ray now and then, it takes a total of 6 hours max to do the highest quality backup using BD-RB. 3.4Ghz Q6600 under my hood

I will backup from HDD from now on....id rather have a drive than not
lol I think he is relaxed it's just that it's really a very bad idea to work from the drive and he's just conveying that to you In all honesty it might actually be around the same time working from a folder on your har drive because accessing the Bluray drive constantly especailly through AnyDVD HD which would use cpu cycles to decrypt + overhead of reading the folder would use more cpu cycles than reading straight from a folder. So you will find you might encode at an extra frame per second or 2 (guess ).

Anyway give it a go and let us know if it does go faster.
Old 17th March 2009, 13:28   #2088  |  Link
lordraider

First of all, Thx for this wonderfull program.

I have a little question, if you have a bd-50gb disc (you can get them but are still a little expensive ) and want to let's say do a full untouched backup (not reencoded). Is this possible with BD-rebuilder? For example by setting the target size large enough or will it always reencode the audio and video? I know it will recreate menu structure and so but I like the video and audio untouched .

Thx in advance
lordraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2009, 14:42   #2089  |  Link
spida_singh

Guys, set off another encode, but, for some reason, i got BSOD?? Only did a fresh install about 2 weeks back, any ideas what could be causing it? The same happened with my Family guy rips when using automkv, i got BSOD after the audio encode, is x264.exe causing a crash (as this was used when converting to a .mp4)? Strange as it worked with my hellboy encode overnight??
Old 17th March 2009, 14:57   #2090  |  Link
Furiousflea

Quote:
Guys, set off another encode, but, for some reason, i got BSOD?? Only did a fresh install about 2 weeks back, any ideas what could be causing it? The same happened with my Family guy rips when using automkv, i got BSOD after the audio encode, is x264.exe causing a crash (as this was used when converting to a .mp4)? Strange as it worked with my hellboy encode overnight??
A BSOD will usually mean an unstale overclock on your system (FSB\CPU\RAM), not enough volts or overheating. Just because one encode worked doesn't mean that it isn't the problem as you could be on the upper threshold and if the ambient temp is slightly warmer one day it could push a component over the edge in terms of heat etc.

Hard to say, but you should run Prim95 (latest version that tests all cores) for a couple of hours to check. Also run memtest to check the memory for a couple of hours afterwards.
Old 17th March 2009, 15:17   #2091  |  Link
spida_singh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furiousflea View Post
A BSOD will usually mean an unstale overclock on your system (FSB\CPU\RAM), not enough volts or overheating. Just because one encode worked doesn't mean that it isn't the problem as you could be on the upper threshold and if the ambient temp is slightly warmer one day it could push a component over the edge in terms of heat etc.

Hard to say, but you should run Prim95 (latest version that tests all cores) for a couple of hours to check. Also run memtest to check the memory for a couple of hours afterwards.

PM Sent
Old 17th March 2009, 15:25   #2092  |  Link
tekmobile
Webmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordraider View Post

I have a little question, if you have a bd-50gb disc (you can get them but are still a little expensive ) and want to let's say do a full untouched backup (not reencoded). Is this possible with BD-rebuilder? For example by setting the target size large enough or will it always reencode the audio and video? I know it will recreate menu structure and so but I like the video and audio untouched .

Thx in advance
If you want to create a untouched BD-50 just rip to image using anydvd hd and then burn that image back to a BD-R50 using your favorite burning program (imgburn highly recomended) there is no need to do any modifications, encodes, rebuilds or anything else for that matter
tekmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2009, 15:34   #2093  |  Link
turbojet

jdobbs: concerning the 720p sup bug I reported. BDSup2Sub currently works on the 3 BD's I know that are problematic in BD-RB it also resizes to match the same size as the original 1080p. It has command line support now too.

Would it be possible to either use this tool to do 1080p -> 720p sup resizing in BD-RB or talk to the developer about what he did in hopes of fixing BD-RB?
turbojet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2009, 16:11   #2094  |  Link
GaPony

Quote:

Thx in advance
I think Tekmobile already answered the question pretty well, but that leaves me one for you....

Why bother with 50gb BD-R media? For that price you can buy another original movie (especially if you wait a couple weeks after the initial release) and not have to risk making a coaster. You really owe it to yourself to try BD-Rebuilder. You'll get excellant results and save a ton of money, since BD-25 media is below the $5.00 mark.

After all... the video and audio of even a 50gb Blu-Ray movie is still compressed from the original source.
Old 17th March 2009, 16:32   #2095  |  Link
lordraider

Damn,

I didn't know if I ripped a bluray via AnyDVD HD and just burns the image to a BD50 or BD25 (if it is a BD25 original) and put it in my PS3 it will just play like the original bluray disk??

Is this correct what I am saying? I thought the PS3 would see it is not a true genuine bluray movie and would not play it?
Old 17th March 2009, 16:36   #2096  |  Link
turbojet

Ya virtually all BD players including PS3 play original BD's and full backups from BD-RB on a BD25/50 just like it should.
turbojet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2009, 16:41   #2097  |  Link
lordraider

I thought I would need some program like Slysoft CloneDVD HD for this which doesn't exist ...
Old 17th March 2009, 17:39   #2098  |  Link
GaPony

Quote:
I thought I would need some program like Slysoft CloneDVD HD for this which doesn't exist ...
Nope! Just use ImgBurn! The PS3 plays them just fine. Its only the full movies on BD5 & BD9 that its doesn't like.

Its nice to get good news...isn't it?
Old 17th March 2009, 19:48   #2099  |  Link
lordraider

Indeed good news .
Amazing that PS3 plays a bluray copy.
I thought the mkv step was necessary and that means no subtitles on PS3 (yet) , no menu, no extra's.
Damn good news for me!
I am baffled I didn't found out this earlier. But you hear so much about those mkv's .
Old 17th March 2009, 19:49   #2100  |  Link
DaMacFunkin

I decided to take it upon myself to see if there was a problem with some Universal titles after many unsucessful attempts at Wanted Region B (see my previous posts) so i thought i would try The Mummy 3 UK Release. The title keeps crashing x264 - some of the extras streams are VC1 1080i encoded.. Help!!!
DaMacFunkin is offline   Reply With Quote