Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 4th June 2012, 18:18   #13241  |  Link
Mikey2

Lol thanks guys! I'm busy at the moment and just responding on the phone:

1) I actually completely forgot that LAV supports TrueHD-since most of my Blu-Rays are DTA-MA (which afaik is not supported.) I will give that a shot. (That of course will not be an complete fix, but it would be nice to use ReClock!

Well I have to run, I will go point-by-point later. Although I knew most of what you said, I liked the way you described it-I may reference your post in the future to people who ask me such questions...)

Oh my GPU[s] are GeForxe 8600T's (I
know they're the weakest part of my setup-but when using software decoding On my overclocked quad-core Q6600 CPU I am just fine. (It's Often fine even using HW decoding at times.)

Well this phone is annoying me-more later...
Mikey2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2012, 18:40   #13242  |  Link
DragonQ

AFAIK, DTS-HD MA works fine if you have the Arcsoft decoder DLL in the LAV Filters directories (x86 & x64).
Old 4th June 2012, 19:17   #13243  |  Link
Mikey2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonQ View Post
AFAIK, DTS-HD MA works fine if you have the Arcsoft decoder DLL in the LAV Filters directories (x86 & x64).
Are you sure about that? I thought that if the decoder cannot decode it, then the Arcsoft *renderer* is needed. I played around with the Arcsoft *decoder* in the past with limited success. (The thing is buggy as heck-some junior developer made it so that changes made in the GUI for the decoder never applied. This was a while back-I will take a look. Since this is off-topic, please PM me if you find anything interesting, I would love to decode these lossless codecs like I do everything else!
Old 4th June 2012, 20:30   #13244  |  Link
DragonQ

Well I know that the Arcsoft decoder allows DTS-HD MA decoding when used with eac3to and I don't know of any reason why LAV Filters wouldn't work with it too.
Old 4th June 2012, 20:46   #13245  |  Link
SamuriHL

It works fine. I use it all the time. However, I don't believe it works with 64 bit. Then again, neither does madVR, so, that's a moot point in this thread.
Old 4th June 2012, 20:55   #13246  |  Link
chuuey

i also can confirm that the arcsoft .dll works just fine with dts-ma decoding
chuuey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2012, 01:15   #13247  |  Link
Mikey2

Thanks much for the responses on decoding DTS-MA on LAVAudioDecoder. I tried it and it plays fine, seeming to work.

However, are you sure it is not just decoding the CORE components and "down-sampling"* the lossless stuff?

(edit: This post became so long and so off-topic that I moved it to the LAV Filters thread:

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...02#post1577202
)

Last edited by Mikey2; 5th June 2012 at 02:22. Reason: moved to LAV Filters thread
Old 5th June 2012, 01:18   #13248  |  Link
SamuriHL

DTS core only has 5.1 channels. DTS-HD MA has 7.1. Hence, an easy thing to check. Anyway, yes, off topic, so, we can discuss it in the proper thread.
Old 5th June 2012, 03:11   #13249  |  Link
Mikey2

Woo Hoo! Thanks to 6233638 and others I found the solution to the studdering problem I had above! ( http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...93#post1577093 )

Simply turning "Vertical Sync = off" in the NVidia Control Panel fixed the issue. I spent over an hour verifying it with it both on and off, and it is definitely the solution!

(This must be an issue with Madvr and the new GeForce (301.42) drivers. Since I first built this computer I have always left VSync=On and never had a problem until now. )

Anyway thanks again everyone! I really thought I might be stuck with that one!

MikeY

PS - ajp-anton - How did you fix my picture? ...Nice work.
Old 5th June 2012, 07:41   #13250  |  Link
ajp_anton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey2 View Post
PS - ajp-anton - How did you fix my picture? ...Nice work.
Well, your "I apologze for the "graph": since this Message Board input does not take "spaces"" isn't true. Use the [code] tag.
ajp_anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2012, 08:17   #13251  |  Link
andybkma

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6233638 View Post
Please read this post, and this one if you want the details. In short: do not use adaptive v-sync, it's for gaming. (and a poor choice at that, in my opinion)

Just leave it to "Use the 3D application setting" or force it on. (should have the same result)
Thanks for your kind reply. Do you mean though force it Off? Or do I have it backwards that Off is actually turning Adaptive V-Sync on? Cheers....
andybkma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2012, 08:24   #13252  |  Link
ryrynz

Set Vertical sync to 'on' or 'use the 3D application setting'
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2012, 11:06   #13253  |  Link
andybkma

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
Set Vertical sync to 'on' or 'use the 3D application setting'
Ok, now I'm a tad confused and yes, I'm dumb. On page 663 of the thread we have some people saying to turn "Off" Vertical Sync (Mikey2) and we have others saying to turn "On" Vertical Sync (6233638). But I guess all are in agreement not to set it to "Adaptive". I'm just going to leave it at "Use the 3d application setting" which I guess is the same as Vertical Sync "On"?

Last edited by andybkma; 5th June 2012 at 11:10.
andybkma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2012, 12:50   #13254  |  Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by andybkma View Post
Ok, now I'm a tad confused and yes, I'm dumb. On page 663 of the thread we have some people saying to turn "Off" Vertical Sync (Mikey2) and we have others saying to turn "On" Vertical Sync (6233638). But I guess all are in agreement not to set it to "Adaptive". I'm just going to leave it at "Use the 3d application setting" which I guess is the same as Vertical Sync "On"?
Disabling V-Sync causes the image to tear, it should never be off for video playback. (note: multiple tears like this are caused by the framerate running above the refresh rate, single tears are when the framerate is below the refresh rate) Adaptive V-Sync selectively disables v-sync when it's running below the refresh rate, and turns it on when running at or above the refresh rate.

The only time you should disable v-sync is when latency matters above image quality. (game tournaments playing for money)

MadVR's exclusive mode is designed to avoid tearing if at all possible.
6233638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2012, 13:55   #13255  |  Link
dukey

You never want v-sync disabled unless you are benchmarking. Otherwise you'll see frames in the frame buffer as they are still being drawn. Exclusive mode just skips desktop composition. It's how opengl renders in full screen on vista/7.
dukey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2012, 14:46   #13256  |  Link
igvk

madVR + Lucid's VirtuMVP

Hello!

I tried using madVR with Lucid's VirtuMVP, but it wasn't a success.
I want to use iGPU with Quick Sync feature via LAV Video Filter, and show video via discrete GPU (NVidia).
Is this configuration supported in madVR?
igvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2012, 15:49   #13257  |  Link
SamuriHL

It's not madVR that's the issue. It's very complicated to set this up. There's a post in another thread about doing this. It's not done through Virtu. I have mine set up so that I can do this if I want. You essentially go into your display properties, set the intel GPU as an extended display and enable it. If you do that, LAV should show QS as being available. It can be a little flaky though. I've got mine working perfectly, but, I use the Intel GPU for audio to my receiver and the 680 directly to the TV. (This is how I'll do 3D when I upgrade my TV later this year as my receiver doesn't support 3D). The one caveat I'll warn you about is that when you upgrade the nVidia driver it disables the intel GPU extended display so you have to go re-enable it. Good luck. You may need it.
Old 5th June 2012, 16:35   #13258  |  Link
igvk

VirtuMVP

I actually tried and know that it's possible with EVR.
Example is in the attachment.
I don't like the idea of setting another "fake" extended desktop that much.
Seems that it's madVR that doesn't recognize this kind of setup.
Attached Images

igvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2012, 16:37   #13259  |  Link
SamuriHL

Not sure what to tell you. As I said, it works just fine for me. I prefer my 680's CUVID in LAV for the moment but I tested QS to see how well it worked. I had no real problems with it.
Old 6th June 2012, 13:16   #13260  |  Link
kalston

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6233638 View Post
I was just going to post that I recently had to do some troubleshooting as I was getting dropped frames on my system (turns out I had accidentally switched the audio renderer away from ReClock) but in doing so, I've found that the latest Nvidia drivers (301.42) now work perfectly with the default settings for fullscreen exclusive mode, when previously I had to be tweaking settings depending on the driver version.

With 30fps videos at 60Hz, it's not filling the queues, and the present queue even drops to "0–1/4" at times, but it's never resulted in a dropped/delayed frame or presentation glitch, even with videos over two hours in length.

24p@24Hz, 50p@50Hz or 60p@60Hz have full queues at all times.

That said, changing to:
Flush, Sleep, Don't, Sleep in Windowed mode, and
Flush Sleep, Don't, Flush in Exclusive mode, results in fuller queues and lower render & present times. Probably not a necessary change, but may help on slower systems?

I'm also able to turn up the CPU, GPU and Present queues up as high as they go without any performance impacts. Previously if the queues were set too high (even the default 12/8/4) I'd start to get presentation glitches. That said, I have just left them at the defaults now.
Yes FSE seems to work ok again with those nvidia drivers but I've found that it isn't always the case. 72hz/24fps is ok for example (default settings), but 60hz/30fps isn't unless I increase the present queue to 8 or more (but then it's 72hz/24fps that doesn't work properly...). Basically I can find settings that result in flawless playback but it always ends up breaking playback with a different refresh rate/framerate.

Also, I'm not sure why the present queue is not always full. IMO it's still very buggy and nothing like 260.99 or older drivers where things were truly flawless for me.
So I eventually went back to the old FSE (yet again) for the peace of mind (that way I can keep the same settings for 72hz/24-48fps, 75hz/25-50fps, 60hz/60-30fps etc. and playback just "works" no matter what).

But then again I have an older GPU so I guess I can't expect newer nvidia drivers to make things much better for me.
kalston is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling