Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10th November 2004, 00:20   #1  |  Link
uroscar

PowerDVD 6.0 is out!!!

PowerDVD 6 is out.

Hm...let's see if they made any good improvements.....

http://www.gocyberlink.com/english/p....jsp?ProdId=28

Bye

Last edited by uroscar; 10th November 2004 at 00:24.
uroscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2004, 02:02   #2  |  Link
Bootsy
Lurker

Comparison between version 5 and 6, the smart deinterlacing feature looks interesting.
http://www.gocyberlink.com/english/p...sions_new1.jsp
Bootsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2004, 16:21   #3  |  Link
Janzki

Has anyone had a chance to try the new deinterlacing options?
Janzki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2004, 22:04   #4  |  Link
rigel

Have tested a bit.
At least for my configuration (1.33 GHz Athlon ) having deinterlacing and CLEV-2 (CyberLink Eagle Vision 2) on at the same time, is too much...
On the positive side - it now really seems to be able to determine if video is really interlaced, or only marked as interlaced in bitstream flags (something that seems to be quite common for PAL DVD-s)
CLEV-2 is in my opinion quite interesting.
Colors are more vivid, and contrast is better (but of course there are moments when in my opinion it's too colourful, and what I miss, is some sort of configuration for CLEV, where I could choose the level of effect)
rigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2004, 04:59   #5  |  Link
abbadon

Dual Display Mode

Will this finally let me watch widescreen movies across dual monitors? I can't never get it to work, I thought it wasn't possible, but perhaps it is?

Last edited by abbadon; 15th November 2004 at 05:21.
abbadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2004, 14:34   #6  |  Link
rigel

I don't have dual monitors so I can't comment on it, but the configuration options have something that may be what you want
Take a look at this screenshot
Old 15th November 2004, 17:59   #7  |  Link
flyerman

I still get a digital looking picture like of sometimes they look as if they are robots. Any help trying to get the best picture on my laptop and desktop? Do other codecs mess up your picture?
flyerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2004, 18:20   #8  |  Link
rigel

@flyerman:
when do you get this "digital looking picture" ?
what do you meen by "still" getting it?
when did you get it the first time?
since you are talking about codecs, I presume you are not talking about watching DVD-s, but some movie files with PowerDVD ?
and... no offence...... but maybe you should read this thread
Old 15th November 2004, 19:19   #9  |  Link
abbadon

re: Dual Display Mode

I have messed around with this option a bit (it is only enable in clone mode for dual monitors) as well as the Theater Mode options in the newest ATI Catalyst Control Center, alas, to no avail.

Can someone confirm whether it is technically posible to display a video across multiple monitors? Is it a hardware issue or a software issue?

Last edited by abbadon; 15th November 2004 at 22:38.
Old 16th November 2004, 00:23   #10  |  Link
therealjoeblow

Re: re: Dual Display Mode

Quote:
Originally posted by abbadon
I have messed around with this option a bit (it is only enable in clone mode for dual monitors) as well as the Theater Mode options in the newest ATI Catalyst Control Center, alas, to no avail.

Can someone confirm whether it is technically posible to display a video across multiple monitors? Is it a hardware issue or a software issue?
I know for sure that Overlay is limited to one monitor. If you have dual monitors, one has to be set as primary, the second one gets configured as secondary (this appears to be a windows thing - I've seen the same requirements for both ATI and Nvidia drivers). If you switch the video player from the primary to the secondary while using Overlay mode, the player's frame and UI will switch over and appear on the 2nd display, but the video itself will just be a black box. If you go to the display settings and turn off the primary display, windows then will switch the secondary to become the primary (sounds confusing, I know), and then the video will play, but the first monitor will turn off. So that basically precludes Overlay display of video on 2 monitors simultaneously.

I don't know about VMR9.
Old 16th November 2004, 06:02   #11  |  Link
Fireye

Finally, just what I wanted! A true software dvd-audio player!
TOO BAD IT CRASHES WHENEVER I TRY TO PLAY A DVD-AUDIO DISC >_<

I hope they release an update soon.
Fireye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2004, 18:10   #12  |  Link
abbadon

Ok, now I KNOW this is possible. I just stretch the Episode 3 trailer across both my monitors. Seems that Quicktime can do it. The MOV file worked pretty well. The MPEG (VCD) I tried was awfully slow, but it did display on both at the same time while stretched. So I know this is possible. Now it is just time for someone to do it for programs other than quicktime.

Last edited by abbadon; 17th November 2004 at 18:14.
Old 17th November 2004, 21:30   #13  |  Link
rigel

@abbadon:
out of curiosity.... why do you need to have video on both monitors?
couldn't you just divide the single output between two monitors?
it requires some sort of a splitter, but it works.
by the way.... that trailer you mentioned - I don't know for sure, but I guess it has quite a small resolution?
that is probably the only reason why it played smoothly on both monitors.
nowadays a lot of work needed to display a video is done in the graphics card instead of the processor (ie. YUV->RGB conversion, stretching).
I am pretty sure that none of this is available simultaneously to both monitors.
so if these accelerations are not available then performance will be severely diminished..... (framerates will drop etc.)
Old 18th November 2004, 18:00   #14  |  Link
abbadon

Well, I have two 20"s. When was the last time you watched a widescreen movie on a 19" TV? Can even imagine it anymore I bet. Now if I could play a anamorphic movie across both, it would be akin to having a 31" TV (some thing like that). I have a 50" widescreen Sony Wega downstairs, so it's not totally necessary, but it would be a nice finishing touch to my computer room.

Also, it is simply just a nice option to have and a nice feature to have, as it opens up the door to 6 or 12 screen display.

The trailer was actually 640x272, not a bad resolution, and it played smoothly. Must be optimised for it, because a simple 320x240 MPEG-1 file was choppy as hell (but it did work).

I guess what my point was was that it is technically possible to do this, and it would be a nice feature to toss into a video card or a piece of software, considering all the other stuff they often put in there.
Old 18th November 2004, 19:42   #15  |  Link
rigel

by the way..... I watch my movies on a 17" monitor..... which is not even flat
Old 21st November 2004, 18:19   #16  |  Link
Proff

This version of PowerDVD registers its own divx dll located in the powerdvd folder. Only this takes over playing divx-avi's from ffdshow in BSPlayer, mediaPlayer, etc. Reinstalling ffdshow doesn't help, and uninstalling all versions of divx neither because this dll is part of PowerDVD. Anybody have a solution for this?

Also i get no sounds in PowerDVD when playing avi's (the mp3 tracks, ac3 does work); anyone?
Proff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2004, 00:26   #17  |  Link
rigel

make sure that in ffdshow configuration you have selected divx 5 decoding (it is not on "disabled")
I have PowerDVD installed, and no such problem.
Old 24th November 2004, 20:56   #18  |  Link
Proff

i know that option, its on 'libavcodec' for me, and it has stopped working like expected with PowerDVD 6.0. Do you use 6.0 also?
Proff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2004, 00:10   #19  |  Link
rigel

Yes, I have 6.0
Actually I didn't use ffdshow for divx 5 decoding when I installed PDVD 6, so I didn't also notice that the decoder had changed (from normal divx 5 decoder filter to Power DVD-s version of it).
But when I read about this problem I switched divx 5 decoding to "libavcoded" in ffdshow, and it works (tested in Media Player 6 and MPC)
Maybe disabling and then re-enabling the divx 5 decoding in ffdshow would help?
Old 1st December 2004, 16:35   #20  |  Link
sbeswick

My results are the same as Rigel...no problem here either.

I am running 3 17" Sumsungs and a TV (via nvidia 6800GT and FX 5200) and for me 6.0 is running much smoother...in the earlier version I had problems dragging the video box from monitor to monitor (except when using UltraMon to send the display to another monitor). 6.0 does it perfectly.

I can confirm btw that if you try split between screens it simply blanks out the "smaller" portion of the video window on the other screens..to bad as this would indeed be a nice feature if your are running multi monitors
sbeswick is offline   Reply With Quote