Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs

Old 9th November 2010, 20:46   #8741  |  Link
audiohominis

Encoding Never Seems to Complete

Hi, Atak_Snajpera.
I'm trying to encode an iPad-compatible MP4 using the available preset. The video is 1024x576 @ 24fps.
The encoder seems to complete the 1st pass but never get to 2nd. It remains stuck with the Abort button forever.

PHP Code:
vid AVISource("video.avi"audio=false)#source is 1920x1080 AVI
return vid.LanczosResize(1024,576).ConvertToYV12() 
The RipBot version is the latest and my specs are in the sig.
Please look into it when you get chance and let me know if I'm missing something.
Thanks

CPU: Intel® Core™i7 930 @ 2.80GFz 2.79 GHz (8 cores)
GPU: NVIDIA® GeForce® GTS 250
SYS: Windows 7 Ultimate x64
RAM: 6.00 GB

audiohominis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2010, 03:46   #8742  |  Link
illestdomer2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by LigH View Post
@ illestdomer2005:

When an encoder does not use most of the CPU time, it probably has to wait for something else, usually hardware (disk access, memory copying, maybe even the GPU decoder).
Interesting. I have 6GB of 1600MHz DDR3 RAM. I'm not using SSDs, and my GPU is just an ATI 5770. I would imagine my HDDs are the weak link (2 7200 RPM in RAID0), but I wonder why 2nd Pass uses 100% of CPU? 1st Pass just isn't CPU intensive?
illestdomer2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2010, 05:31   #8743  |  Link
patmann03

Quote:
Originally Posted by illestdomer2005 View Post
Interesting. I have 6GB of 1600MHz DDR3 RAM. I'm not using SSDs, and my GPU is just an ATI 5770. I would imagine my HDDs are the weak link (2 7200 RPM in RAID0), but I wonder why 2nd Pass uses 100% of CPU? 1st Pass just isn't CPU intensive?
First pass is really a scan to get a feel for the file. 2nd scan does the full encoding and will use 100% of your CPU no matter how good your computer is.
patmann03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2010, 09:21   #8744  |  Link
zazon

Question if I may? I don't understand how I should be setting the KBPS on the encoding settings. I think the higher it is, the bigger the files. The guide I found had it set at 6930, which is what I used, but I'm not sure that is optimal? Can anyone explain this? Thanks for any help.
zazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2010, 13:01   #8745  |  Link
LigH
German doom9/Gleitz SuMo

That's the hardest question for all beginners, zazon.

As many movies are out there, as many different bitrates they "need" to be encoded with a satisfying quality. This is squared by the different people watching movies and having different preferences how much quality they need. And even cubed by the many options you can use to set up the encoding efforts and time consumption, the wanted dimensions (width*height), filtering...

To limit the complexity, first divide your problem into two: Do you really need to get the result down to a file size which fits on a specific media?

If yes, calculate the required bitrate by the capacity of the media, divided by the playing time, and subtract some amount required for anything that is not the video of the movie (audio streams, subtitles, multiplexing overhead, maybe even menus - depending on the target format). There are "bitrate calculators" (maybe included in the convertor, maybe additional ones) to help you here.

If no (e.g. you will store the result on a harddisk anyway) ... don't care about bitrates at all. Only care about the available quality metrics of the encoder. x264 has a kind of "constant quality" mode, more exactly a "constant rate factor" (CRF) ... test for yourself which value in a range around 18 and 22 is satisfying for your quality preferences. Other formats may not have such a feature, here it may be harder to find "a very similar quality for many different movies".

New German Gleitz board
MediaFire: x264 | x265 | VPx | AOM | Xvid

Last edited by LigH; 10th November 2010 at 13:06.
LigH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2010, 19:39   #8746  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author

@audiohominis
Wouldn't be simpler to select just .avi instead of .avs in ripbot264???
Atak_Snajpera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2010, 23:05   #8747  |  Link
zazon

Yes, the resulting file will most likely sit on my media server. Size is not of paramount importance, but I don't want to make them twice as big as they should be. Does this mean I should use the CQ instead of the two pass? I am assuming the CQ uses whatever bit rate it needs and the file may be bigger or smaller.

Another question if I may? I have a Blu-ray of the Godfather. Parts of the film are in a foreign language. I used RipBot to embed the subtitles, but when I played in in VLC, there was no way to turn them on or off. Is there some way to set that up? Thanks for any help.
Old 11th November 2010, 02:29   #8748  |  Link
Lighto
The Black Reaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by zazon View Post
Yes, the resulting file will most likely sit on my media server. Size is not of paramount importance, but I don't want to make them twice as big as they should be. Does this mean I should use the CQ instead of the two pass? I am assuming the CQ uses whatever bit rate it needs and the file may be bigger or smaller.

Another question if I may? I have a Blu-ray of the Godfather. Parts of the film are in a foreign language. I used RipBot to embed the subtitles, but when I played in in VLC, there was no way to turn them on or off. Is there some way to set that up? Thanks for any help.
Did you use this to add the subtitles?
Lighto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2010, 06:07   #8749  |  Link
zazon

No. I'll give it a whirl. Thanks.
Old 12th November 2010, 09:21   #8750  |  Link
zazon

OK, I found suprip and loaded the .sup file. Suprip found the subtitles, but when I output them to the .srt file to be used by rip bot, it just said line 1, line 2, line 3, etc., or made some jibberish. What step did I miss when doing the output? Is there a guide somewhere?

I also tried the CQ setting for the bit rate. Personally I think it looked worse than using a variable bit rate set at 6930, which I what I was doing. I don't know if it was the film or something else and the file size was about the same size anyway. Anyone got a clue here? Thanks for any help.
Old 12th November 2010, 13:36   #8751  |  Link
scenefinale

@Atak_Snajpera
Any chance you have considered adding an option to skip encoding while still having the option to produce .mkv or .mp4?
scenefinale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2010, 16:01   #8752  |  Link
Lighto
The Black Reaper

@zazon, not sure about the sub part. Try CQ 18 and see if the results satisfy you.
If not, I guess you are better off with setting the bit rate.
Old 12th November 2010, 21:45   #8753  |  Link
hoju3508

@zazon, take the output from Suprip into Notepad and save the file again.
hoju3508 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2010, 22:55   #8754  |  Link
soneca

And save again using the ANSI code.
soneca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2010, 04:19   #8755  |  Link
pacaveli211

Quote:
Originally Posted by zazon View Post
OK, I found suprip and loaded the .sup file. Suprip found the subtitles, but when I output them to the .srt file to be used by rip bot, it just said line 1, line 2, line 3, etc., or made some jibberish. What step did I miss when doing the output? Is there a guide somewhere?

I also tried the CQ setting for the bit rate. Personally I think it looked worse than using a variable bit rate set at 6930, which I what I was doing. I don't know if it was the film or something else and the file size was about the same size anyway. Anyone got a clue here? Thanks for any help.
if your bitrate looked better you may simply need to use a better cq setting (the lower the number, the higher the quality)
suprip does not directly convert .sup files. it is a software that learns. you will need to go through the ocr process and correct or 'define' any characters it's not able to recognize

Quote:
Originally Posted by scenefinale View Post
@Atak_Snajpera
Any chance you have considered adding an option to skip encoding while still having the option to produce .mkv or .mp4?
ripbot is an encode tool, not a muxing tool. mkvmerge will take care of the .mkv. there's probably a tool to mux to mp4 as well
pacaveli211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2010, 05:06   #8756  |  Link
scenefinale

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacaveli211 View Post
ripbot is an encode tool, not a muxing tool. mkvmerge will take care of the .mkv. there's probably a tool to mux to mp4 as well
Be that as it may, it still handles muxing like a champ... It can be used to demux the streams needed into the "Temp" folder and then used to add to mkvmerge. I think it would be simple to add this functionality, and give the users another much appreciated option.
scenefinale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2010, 08:51   #8757  |  Link
hoju3508

Is it normal that when I used CQ=18, I get a smaller file and lower bit rate then when I do a 2-Pass targeting a BD9?

Attached Files
File Type: txt CQ18 Job2_log.txt (4.2 KB, 28 views)
File Type: txt BD9 Job2_log.txt (6.6 KB, 16 views)
hoju3508 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2010, 18:03   #8758  |  Link
pacaveli211

hoju3508
every file/movie is different. constant quality doesn't mean constant bitrate, and cq doesn't indicate a target bitrate
some movies can compress a lot without losing any significant amount of quality, others cannot
i.e. whichever movie you're dealing with seems to be able to compress lower than bd9 size while still sufficing the CQ18 quality settings
so this is neither normal nor abnormal. because some movies will compress like this one, others will not
pacaveli211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2010, 18:26   #8759  |  Link
Lighto
The Black Reaper

Is it possible to replace BassAudio with NicAudio or other tools completely for the getinfo.avs?
It's just that BassAudio makes RipBot stuck at "Gathering Information" far too often.
Old 14th November 2010, 23:00   #8760  |  Link
fmagreed2

After re-encoding a video to play on my ipod, the audio was about 14 seconds behind the video. I batched around 20 files (a series of episodes) and all of them suffered from the same problem.

The ripbot log and media infos of one of the files are attached.
Attached Files
File Type: rar Info.rar (5.0 KB, 20 views)
fmagreed2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
264, 265, appletv, avchd, bluray, gui, iphone, ipod, ps3, psp, ripbot264, x264 2-pass, x264 gui, x264_64, x265, xbox360