Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 1st November 2011, 00:02   #6641  |  Link
clsid

Quote:
Originally Posted by cegy View Post
how can i force lav splitter to always be the splitter i want to use for mpeg.ts (h.264) as each time i get it sorted a few days later it changes back and then am stuck again (even happens of fresh install of windows 7 x86/x64)
i mainly use lav splitter to help with encoding speed from record tv shows via dss as i get a faster fps then using dgnv :/

p.s. doesn't matter what version of lav filter i use
You can configure preferred source filters with Codec Tweak Tool.
Old 1st November 2011, 00:05   #6642  |  Link
golagoda

Quote:
how can i force lav splitter to always be the splitter i want to use for mpeg.ts (h.264) as each time i get it sorted a few days later it changes back and then am stuck again (even happens of fresh install of windows 7 x86/x64)
i mainly use lav splitter to help with encoding speed from record tv shows via dss as i get a faster fps then using dgnv :/

p.s. doesn't matter what version of lav filter i use
In MPC-HC add the splitters you don't want to use to 'External Filters' and set them to block. When you want them just un-block them. That's what I do at least, there's probably easier ways to do it though.
golagoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2011, 01:13   #6643  |  Link
cegy

clsid: i have used codec tweak tool and the other one that they do but it keeps changing back to "system default" and even if lav splitter is set and golagoda: the mpc-hc idea won't work as i can't block something i want know what its using in the first place

this is the outcome of a encoded avi of when the splitter isn't set http://rghost.net/28028481

i even get the same problem when using dgnv (nvidia 450 gts @ 100 fps max!) this is why i use dss as i can get the cpu to do the decoding give me over 60-120% boost faster then dgnv can give me when using my gfx card

Last edited by cegy; 1st November 2011 at 01:26.
cegy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2011, 03:42   #6644  |  Link
Pat357

Quote:
i even get the same problem when using dgnv (nvidia 450 gts @ 100 fps max!) this is why i use dss as i can get the cpu to do the decoding give me over 60-120% boost faster then dgnv can give me when using my gfx card
For h264 you could also try DGAVCdecdi : it also uses the CPU to decode, hence could be much faster if your CPU can handle it.
Pat357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2011, 04:04   #6645  |  Link
azaze1

Quote:
Originally Posted by azaze1 View Post
is the GPU core and memory clock even relevant when decoding in software mode? I'm not using DXVA, and the issue occurs whether I'm using MadVR or EVR-CP.

Thx for the tip though, I'll give it a shot either way.
Not finding the XML tags for these overdrive sections in my custom profile under catalyst 11.10. A little hesitant to add them.

BTW: Something I should have said is that GPU-Z has always shown the GPU Core and Mem to be at it's rated spec of 625 MHz core, 500 MHz mem when a movie is playing.

As I close the movie it moves down to the modest 100 MHz core, 150 MHz mem within 3 seconds. But again every time a movie is playing in MPC-HC it correctly bumps up the speeds to the "normal" values. Not sure this minimum speed tweak is going to do anything for me if it's always at 625/500 when playing movies.
azaze1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2011, 04:21   #6646  |  Link
azaze1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plutotype View Post
I also recommend you to create a custom power plan in Windows:

- hard disk - turn off hard disk after: never
- usb selective settings: disabled
- multimedia settings: when playing video: optimize video quality

External drives also use to have proprietary software where standby is defined in minutes or "never".
Thanks,

I've got all those settings in my power plan already. My media is being accessed via gigabit network. HTPC is just a 64GB SSD with windows and media software.
azaze1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2011, 05:58   #6647  |  Link
ruinevil
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by azaze1 View Post
First let me say this issue may not belong in this thread but truth is I do not know where the problem lies. It's either with MPC-HC, LAV, or the decoding.

For a few months now I've noticed that most of my movies (usually 1080p material) have a periodic issue where a 5 second portion of the movie will suddenly become ultra choppy, and then smooth itself out. It'll happen once, maybe twice during a 2.5 hour movie. This is not a case of a dropped frame every so often, it's a full 5 seconds of nearly every other frame being dropped so it almost looks like a cinematic effect.

This didn't used to happen 6 months ago. I do stay on top of the latest nightlies for MPC-HC, LAV Filters, MadVR. I want to say it never happened before I moved to LAV so that's why I'm posting here. I don't think it ever happened when using DXVA either, but I don't believe it's the software decoding because it happens when using MadVR's internal decoders AND LAV Video decoding.

My setup:

Windows 7 32bit
AMD Radeon HD 6450
Catalyst 11.9 drivers
Latest nightly of:
MPC-HC
LAV Filters 0.37
MadVR 0.77
ReClock 1.8.7.7

Has anyone else seen this behavior even once? If not, is there anything I should check that may cause this?
It's probably Reclock, it's an extremely tempermental piece of software. I had issues like that with the Auto playback speed setting, though I mostly noticed them in the beginning of the file. I force Reclock to play at original speed now. Though before you do that, try uninstalling and reinstalling MPC-HC, keeping the settings intact.

Last edited by ruinevil; 1st November 2011 at 06:09.
ruinevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2011, 06:45   #6648  |  Link
Andy o

It's only "temperamental" if you don't know exactly what it's doing. It can clash with other settings of players or renderers, so you must know what to enable or disable. That's why it was recommended to disable VSync when using with madVR, for instance.
Old 1st November 2011, 08:30   #6649  |  Link
THX-UltraII

I own a MSI GTX 460 1gb OC edition and use CUVID with it. Will it make any sense (will I benefit) to overclock my card?
THX-UltraII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2011, 08:55   #6650  |  Link
cruse

Quote:
Originally Posted by THX-UltraII View Post
First thing I just noticed is that madVR reports a display refrash rate of 23,971xx (NVIDIA 23Hz setting) while madVR reported a display rate of 23,975xx which is far more close to EXACTLY 23,976 which it should be ideally.

Do you guys also get 23,971xx reported by madVR and if so, will this result in far more dropped frames during a movie? With my ATI 5450 I got about 1-3 dropped frames during a 2-3 hour movie which was pretty satisfying to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by robpdotcom View Post
I recently switched from an ATI 5750 to an NVIDIA GTS450, and my ATI came closer to 23.976 as well (though, still not close enough). The easiest solution is to just use Reclock, and go with 24hz, which both cards come much closer to.
gee had to wait 5 days to post this...

For NVIDIA cards you have to create a custom resolution to get exactly 23.976Hz/FPS.

My NVIDIA system settings are in german, so I don't know what the options are called in English but go to

Change Resolution -> button below resolution list -> Create User Specified Resolution

In the upper Display Mode box (1920x1080) select 23 Hz as frequency and progressive, expand Timings below, set Standard from automatic to manual and make sure those are the according numbers:

active pixels horizontal: 1920 vertical: 1080
front porch horizontal: 638 vertical: 4
sync width horizontal: 44 vertical: 5
total pixels horizontal: 2750 vertical: 1124
polarity horizontal: positive vertical: positive
refresh rate: 23.976

Test, save and make sure the new resolution is active. The tray icon should offer 23 Hz now with right click (although it lists the new resolution as 24 Hz in user specified res list).

Good Luck
cruse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2011, 09:13   #6651  |  Link
cruse

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukey View Post
Would it make sense to integrate the LAV filters into FFdshow (at least the video ones anyway)? That way subtitle rendering, and all the other great filters it has would work .. just nicely.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuelMaki View Post
Better idea would be to write own methods and donīt use the old-dated(?) ones that ffdshow uses... At least deinterlacing, deband, avisynth support (if possible) and subtitles. And for the audio filter new DRC, night mode and mixer... Then it would be fantastic
You can combine ffdshow processing and LAV Filter decoding by using the ffdshow raw video filter (e.g. in MediaPortal).
Old 1st November 2011, 10:47   #6652  |  Link
dukey

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruse View Post
You can combine ffdshow processing and LAV Filter decoding by using the ffdshow raw video filter (e.g. in MediaPortal).
That's good to know. I'll give that a spin.
dukey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2011, 11:28   #6653  |  Link
cegy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat357 View Post
For h264 you could also try DGAVCdecdi : it also uses the CPU to decode, hence could be much faster if your CPU can handle it.
well atm i use lav splitter with the use coreavc as the h.264 decoder when used via dss plus how is this gonna help me ? as i NEED lav splitter to be only set as default for mpeg.ts

even tryed halli as the splitter as it makes the encoded file even worst then the link i posted (not something i would want to archive!)

Last edited by cegy; 1st November 2011 at 11:35.
cegy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2011, 12:39   #6654  |  Link
THX-UltraII

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruse View Post
gee had to wait 5 days to post this...

For NVIDIA cards you have to create a custom resolution to get exactly 23.976Hz/FPS.

My NVIDIA system settings are in german, so I don't know what the options are called in English but go to

Change Resolution -> button below resolution list -> Create User Specified Resolution

In the upper Display Mode box (1920x1080) select 23 Hz as frequency and progressive, expand Timings below, set Standard from automatic to manual and make sure those are the according numbers:

active pixels horizontal: 1920 vertical: 1080
front porch horizontal: 638 vertical: 4
sync width horizontal: 44 vertical: 5
total pixels horizontal: 2750 vertical: 1124
polarity horizontal: positive vertical: positive
refresh rate: 23.976

Test, save and make sure the new resolution is active. The tray icon should offer 23 Hz now with right click (although it lists the new resolution as 24 Hz in user specified res list).

Good Luck
thanks! I ll try this tonight but I wonder if your settings will work with my display. Isn t it so that I will need to make a totally different custom res?
Old 1st November 2011, 12:40   #6655  |  Link
THX-UltraII

another general question:

I want to use SVP (realtime Frame Interpolation) which will need a lot of GPU. How do I know how much GPU is already 'reserved' for CUVID?
Own a MSI Cyclone GTX460 1GB DDR5 oc edition overclocked@880Mhz.
Old 1st November 2011, 13:31   #6656  |  Link
cruse

Quote:
Originally Posted by THX-UltraII View Post
thanks! I ll try this tonight but I wonder if your settings will work with my display. Isn t it so that I will need to make a totally different custom res?
This timing change is resolution not display related, so as long as your display is a full HD one with 1080p the values should be exactly the same.

The NVIDIA driver suite treats 24p literally as 24.000, although most "24" content actually is 23.976. So out of the box you sadly get an asynch mess from NVIDIA for most of the content out there.

After this simple change you wont need Reclock anymore (at least for drifting clocks caused by this).
Old 1st November 2011, 13:43   #6657  |  Link
THX-UltraII

Thanks for your quick reply. I know that both the 24 and 23 standard NVIDIA settings don t make sense at all (the 23Hz reports 23,971xx in madVR.

But I have some other things that I m dealing with atm which confuses me:

Here are my results with madVR and as you can see things are strange and something in the report by madVR is not correct:

NVIDIA 1080p custom 23Hz @23,976 (with everthing else standard)
- madVR reports 23,97495 in the top of the OSD (so a deviation of 0.00105).
- one frame dropped every 6 minutes says OSD
- 22 dropped frames after 120 minutes of playback says OSD

The above all seems 'correct', but now

NVIDIA 1080p custom 23Hz @23,978 (with everything else standard)
- madVR reports 23,97795 in the top of the OSD (so a deviation of 0.00195).
- one frame dropped every 18 minutes says OSD
- 2 frames dropped after 120 minutes of playback says OSD

The above just is not right. With this I mean that some of the information is incorrect. First off all the deviation is BIGGER then with the 23,976nvidia setting but the 'one frame dropped every' information is 'better' then the 23,976nvidia setting.
And the this that is the most strange to me is that I only got 2! dropped frames so this assumes it is almost perfect which does not correspond with the other information.
Old 1st November 2011, 15:08   #6658  |  Link
cruse

Don't know whether I'm reading it right, but I assume the second set is with the values I posted?

Those values are the closest you can get with the basic handles NVIDIA provides. So 2 dropped frames over the course of 120 mins is pretty great with all the hardware and different clocks in a PC. Seems like you are getting there.

I don't know how madVR calculates those values, perhaps madshi can chime in. But at least the "one frame dropped every X minutes" looks like extrapolation based on numbers it got right now.
Old 1st November 2011, 15:11   #6659  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

I'm sorry, but this is not the "How do i setup my NVIDIA card" thread, and i would appreciate if you move all these discussions elsewhere. AVS Forum for example already has alot of threads on the topic in its HTPC section.
Old 1st November 2011, 15:57   #6660  |  Link
THX-UltraII

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
I'm sorry, but this is not the "How do i setup my NVIDIA card" thread, and i would appreciate if you move all these discussions elsewhere. AVS Forum for example already has alot of threads on the topic in its HTPC section.
Sorry, you are right on this. I ll send a PM to cruse if I have more questions.

Keep up the good work you re doing!

Tags
decoders, directshow, filters, splitter