Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 17th June 2013, 14:14   #19221  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansrfe View Post
Backbuffer queue keeps cycling between 0/8 and 0-7/8 in windowed mode with 0.86.4/5. I've tried pausing/playing, going back and forth in the timeline, and resizing above and below 1080p (original video resolution).
Is that a new problem with v0.86.4/5? Which is the last version this did *not* occur with, using the same settings?

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeperry View Post
Having more thoughts about 3DLUT gamut mapping, would that be possible to have the "primaries" tag also activated via a dummy PS script by any chance please?
Not sure what you mean.

Quote:
Oh wow, another dream coming true: the ability to run a test proof verification pass without the major hassle of rolling manual test patterns. If HCFR supported this [...]
It already does, since today!

Quote:
BTW, is there any picture viewer that would support Jinc3?
Viewer? I don't think so. The only other software using Jinc is ImageMagick, as far as I know. Well, ImageMagick actually had it first, thanks to Nicolas Robidoux.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoyd View Post
Test version of HCFR with auto-generated madVR patterns is available here.
Very nice - thanks for your work!

Quote:
Originally Posted by andybkma View Post
Anything us Zoom Player users can do to help with Bug 30? My ZP constantly gets stuck on top as per the bug
Was waiting for feedback on that bug report, didn't notice the feedback was already there. The problem for me is that madVR seems to do everything correctly, so I'm not sure where the problem comes from. But I'll see if I can find a fix somehow...

Just for my interest: Why is this coming up now? Is it a new problem? Or did this problem always exist, in all older madVR and ZoomPlayer versions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pie1394 View Post
Does the madVR code require a lot of "random" memory read access for each pixel group's processing?
The question is how to define "random". Of course it's not random. But maybe it looks like that to the memory controller, what do I know?
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2013, 14:18   #19222  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

madVR v0.86.6 released

http://madshi.net/madVR.zip

Code:
* fixed: test pattern API "BlindConnect" made problems with HCFR
* fixed: 3dlut was never applied when drawing test patterns
* fixed: HCFR running with admin rights couldn't always connect to madVR
* added new remote control API "madVR_SetBackground" for plasma users
Some more fixes, mostly aimed at making HCFR <-> madVR work well together. Which they now do, by using v0.86.6 and the latest HCFR test build available on AVSForum. Thanks, zoyd!

Last edited by madshi; 17th June 2013 at 17:16.
Old 17th June 2013, 15:57   #19223  |  Link
TheShadowRunner

Quote:
Just for my interest: Why is this coming up now? Is it a new problem? Or did this problem always exist, in all older madVR and ZoomPlayer versions?
The issue has always been there for me, regardless of madVR or ZP versions.
(the issue: ZP is stuck in always on top mode when/after using madVR)
-When the issue is going on, enabling ZP's own "Stay on top" feature and disabling it right away solves the problem..
-It seems the issue (ZP becoming AOTop) occurs after madVR has gone in fullscreen exlusive mode at least once.
- Worth noting, in my case, the issue occurs WITHOUT ZP displaying OSD through madVr's OSD API.
(so in ZP; "Video covers entire display area" is checked, and "Display OSD though madVR's OSD API" is unchecked, and in madVR: "enable auto fullscreen exclusive mode" and "delay switch to exlusive mode by 3 seconds" are both checked.)
Hope it hints/helps.
Old 17th June 2013, 17:16   #19224  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

Quote:
Test version of HCFR with auto-generated madVR patterns is available
Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
It already does, since today!
Quote:
Actually, v0.86.6 just broke HCFR. A new HCFR build will be needed. Sorry about that! After that all should be fine
OK, amazing! Will patiently wait until you guys will give the green light but this feature sounds very exciting

Quote:
Not sure what you mean.
Well, PS scripts can have comments flagged by the "//" characters at the beginning of each line, for instance:
Code:
// DisplayLessThan16 v1.1=ps_2_0
// http://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=29814317
Could you somehow recognize the "primaries=709|SmpteC|EBU|sRGB|NTSC|PAL|470M|240M|170M" tag there? or create a new internal command maybe? So we could either roll gamuts via a hotkey, a filename tag or a "dummy" PS script comment

It would be useful to the SMPTE-C tinfoil hat crowd(I'm not the only one ^^), those with broken encodes(29.97fps HD to SD encodes) or people working on non-standard gamuts. They would have the ability to create automatic profiles in their media player and roll gamuts just as easily as it currently is with the PS script from yesgrey & JohnAd.

I guess the code is more or less already there? You would only need to extend the rollability to PS scripts and not just filename tags.

Hope you'll consider it as I'd really crave this feature,

Quote:
Viewer? I don't think so. The only other software using Jinc is ImageMagick, as far as I know. Well, ImageMagick actually had it first, thanks to Nicolas Robidoux.
OK, thanks for the info I'll see if IM could work as a FS pictureviewer, otherwise let's hope that someday you'll find the time and motivation to make a resizing plugin for a picture viewer then
leeperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2013, 17:31   #19225  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadowRunner View Post
The issue has always been there for me, regardless of madVR or ZP versions.
Ok.

Quote:
OK, amazing! Will patiently wait until you guys will give the green light but this feature sounds very exciting
"Green light".

Quote:
Well, PS scripts can have comments flagged by the "//" characters at the beginning of each line
But what does gamut switching have to do with custom pixel shaders? I don't really see the connection.
Old 17th June 2013, 17:48   #19226  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

Quote:
"Green light".
OK, sweeet!

Quote:
But what does gamut switching have to do with custom pixel shaders? I don't really see the connection.
I currently have a bunch of automatic profiles based on frame rate and resolution in PotP:

Each profile uses a different 3DLUT PS script in order to map EBU/SMPTE-C/REC.709 to my native display gamut based on my own settings, but this PS script is utterly limited compared to what ArgyllCMS can now provide through a full-fledged 3DLUT.

It's possible to roll gamuts in mVR via the "primaries" filename tag or a hotkey, but IME it's a lot more convenient to create automatic profiles in your media player so you won't have to tag every damn file or keep pressing the same hotkey several time in a row for each movie....hence my request to not only recognize the "primaries" tag on filenames but on also on PS script comments, so I can keep on using automatic profiles for gamut mapping but with a mVR/Argyll 3DLUT and not a sloppy PS script anymore

Also, many HTPC users don't have a keyboard within hands reach so rolling gamuts via a mouse click in your media player is just much more convenient.

To make it perfectly clear, my SMPTE-C profile would not be using this 3DLUT script anymore:
Code:
// script=ps_3_0
// Code from MPC

sampler s0 : register(s0);
float4 p0 : register(c0);

static float4x4 r2r =
{
1.0298551049805,-0.0398303799731499,-3.59414612715048E-05,0,
-0.0245864381394802,1.06321188848582,-0.0344900188344141,0,
0, 0, 0, 0
};

float4 main(float2 tex : TEXCOORD0) : COLOR
{
    float4 c0 = tex2D(s0, tex);
    c0 = pow(c0, 1/0.45);
    c0 = mul(r2r, c0);
    c0 = saturate(c0);
    c0 = pow(c0, 0.45);

return c0;
}
but this:
Code:
// primaries=SmpteC

Last edited by leeperry; 17th June 2013 at 18:25.
Old 17th June 2013, 17:59   #19227  |  Link
fairchild

Madshi, thanks for implementing this with HCFR. I tried it out, got the latest file from that link from Zoyd, and the latest MadVR you posted but I am not sure exactly how I go about using these patterns. I've only ever used HCFR with external patterns using the DVD manual option when asked to choose a generator. I guess now I'd select view images then make sure MadVR is selected when I go to configure generator. But then I'm getting this error when I try to measure grayscale for instance:

dll found but Blind Connect failed, is MadVR running?

followed by this error:

Error during generator initialization

Last edited by fairchild; 17th June 2013 at 18:03.
fairchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2013, 18:08   #19228  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
It's possible to roll gamuts in mVR via the "primaries" filename tag or a hotkey, but IME it's a lot more convenient to create automatic profiles in your media player so you won't have to tag every damn file or keep pressing the same hotkey several time in a row for each movie....hence my request to not only recognize the "primaries" tag on filenames but on also on PS script comments, so I can keep on using automatic profiles for gamut mapping but with a mVR/Argyll 3DLUT and not a sloppy PS script anymore
Well, I'm evaluating tags only when playback starts. Evaluating tags inside of shader script code is a different thing. Some tags I could put into effect in the middle of playback. But that might not work for all tags. I'd have to check for every tag what consequences changing it in the middle of playback would have. So I'll have to pass on this for now, because it's not just a minor modifications, but a "new feature".

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairchild View Post
I'm getting this error when I try to measure grayscale for instance:

dll found but Blind Connect failed, is MadVR running?
You need to start a media player and playback some video (doesn't matter which). Basically some madVR rendering needs to be happening somewhere on the PC where HCFR is running, or on any other PC in your LAN. HCFR will then take over, the video playback will be paused, and test patterns will be rendered instead.
Old 17th June 2013, 18:28   #19229  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

Quote:
Well, I'm evaluating tags only when playback starts. Evaluating tags inside of shader script code is a different thing. Some tags I could put into effect in the middle of playback. But that might not work for all tags. I'd have to check for every tag what consequences changing it in the middle of playback would have. So I'll have to pass on this for now, because it's not just a minor modifications, but a "new feature".
Ok thanks for the fast reply, fair enough.....but it would also be useful in MPC for instance, for when you only have a wireless mouse on the couch and no keyboard around:

Changing primaries on-the-fly should be OK? But alright, I'll wait for mVR 1.0 and will ask again then
Old 17th June 2013, 18:40   #19230  |  Link
Soukyuu

Is the "black frame problem" referring to the screen going blank for a split second now and then? I am still at 0.86.3 and suddenly started noticing it. I don't think it happened with 0.86.2 and I haven't updated any drivers for ages. win7 x64 SP1, nVidia 306.97 (260GTX), what should I do to give you some viable info?
Soukyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2013, 18:54   #19231  |  Link
bugmen0t
Banned

@Soukyuu
Please read here.

@madshi
I was able to see several black frames with OSD on however there wasn't anything suspicious. Every queue looks fine before and after it happens, no changes at all.
bugmen0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2013, 18:58   #19232  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Please post this in the bug tracker, not here.
Old 17th June 2013, 18:58   #19233  |  Link
sucht

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasper93 View Post
@sucht: See this post http://forum.doom9.org/showpost.php?p=1631842&postcount=19039
thank you
sucht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2013, 19:09   #19234  |  Link
kasper93
MPC-HC Developer

@madshi:

Is it by design that "disable GPU gamma ramps" change only after reseting playback? Every other options works instantly and this can be confusing. And what do you think about making it work also in windowed mode?

Last edited by kasper93; 17th June 2013 at 19:44.
kasper93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2013, 19:41   #19235  |  Link
Plutotype

Hd4600

Hi folks,
did som tests with the new Intel HD4600. Unfortunately for some strange reason I couldnt get GPU-Z to be installed ( initial splash logo seen, but the app froze there, strange ). Fortunately the rendering times from the madVR OSD menu are very informative.

The demo unit was a NB with Intel HD4600 ( and AMD8790m ), Intel Core i7-4800MQ. Installed the Intel Haswell drivers 3186 ( couldnt install the 10th June package ).
The GOAL was to test madVR performance with Intel HD4600 by comparing its rendering performance using some samples.
Settings:
Full Screen Exclusive mode, 1080p Display.
Chroma - Bicubic 75AR
Luma up - JINC 3taps AR
Luma Down - Catmull AR, LL

720p 59.94fps, Bitrate 4,5 Mbps
Refresh 59.94128 Hz
Many dropped frames. Changing LUMA upscaling from JINC3 AR to Lanczos 3taps AR lead to zero dropped frames and full queues.
Rendering average with JINC3 2.02ms, max 90.95ms. Rendering average with Lanczos3 was 2.02ms, max 18.95ms.

1080i 25fps, Full BD, Bitrate over 20 Mbps, YADIF @1080p/50Hz ( LAVvideo outputs 50p )
Refresh 50.0010 Hz
No dropped frames, full queues. Rendering average 1.47ms, max 11.56ms.

1080p 23.976fps Full BD, Bitrate 24.7 Mbps

Refresh 23.97651 Hz
No dropped frames. Rendering average 1.57ms, max 12.56ms

720p 23.976fps, Bitrate 3.17 Mbps
Refresh 23.97651 Hz
No dropped frames. Rendering average 2.75ms, max 27.14ms

Here are some results with smooth motion ON @ 60Hz:

1080i 25fps, Full BD, Bitrate over 20 Mbps, YADIF @1080p/50Hz ( LAVvideo outputs 50p )
Refresh 60.06105Hz
No frame drops. Average rendering 4.39ms, Max rendering 14.43ms.

720p 23.976fps, Bitrate 3.17 Mbps
Refresh 60.06105Hz
Quicksync ON: Average rendering 25.04ms, Max rendering 40.43ms
Quicksync OFF: Average rendering 19.09ms, Max rendering 36.69ms
No frame drops

1080p 23.976fps Full BD, Bitrate 24.7 Mbps
Refresh 60.06105Hz
Quicksync ON: Average rendering 4.45ms, Max rendering 20.15ms
Quicksync OFF: Average rendering 4.36ms, Max rendering 16.06ms
No frame drops

I didnt have more time to check other samples (SD to 1080p upscaling for example ), but the test gave me information, that although HD4600 shows so-so performance, Im looking forward to HD5000/HD5100/HD5200 iGPUs. It could be interesting to see JINC3 capable iGPU, which would upscale SD/HD to FullHD without dropping any frames. Another positive note is, that Intel managed to offer all necessary refresh rates for 1080p and they are very accurate.
Apparently Full RGB over HDMI is still a issue for Intel iGPU = it outputs limited RGB only. I had to switch from TV-levels to PC-levels in madVR for film content to get correct dynamic range on the TV screen. I remember reading something about banding in this scenario.
Other thing I have noticed is some strange flickering when playback is started (takes 1second max). It looked like the vertical refresh takes too much to settle with the fps. Maybe Im wrong.
Old 17th June 2013, 20:40   #19236  |  Link
mindbomb

The deinterlacing toggle for film and video, it seems to not work sometimes, switching between video and autodetect video and not going through film mode.

edit:Oh, nvm, I was using dxva native, which doesn't work with film mode.

Last edited by mindbomb; 17th June 2013 at 22:49.
mindbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2013, 21:09   #19237  |  Link
zoyd

Installable HCFR 3.0.4.3 package with the latest madVR support can be found here. Old version needs to be uninstalled first.

edit:

I wonder if anyone could help me with a video card quirk.

Symptoms:

1. Whenever there is an HDMI handshake the video card resets itself into a mode where it loads what I think are default calibration values. This will happen whenever I switch my TV to the PC input or when madVR starts up.

2. To clear the video card tables I run the ArgyllCMS tool dispwin -c (load linear tables) and this fixes the problem such that a grayscale gamma run using HCFR reproduces what I see with other pattern generators.

3. However, when I fire up madVR the same reset happens but dispwin -c no longer clears it so I assuming either madVR blocks modification of the video card tables or it does some other manipulation of it's attributes such that linear tables do not fix the problem. (checking and unchecking the loading of gamma ramps button has no effect).

4. The only way to fix 3. is to actually load a previous calibration file while madVR is running using dispwin -c calfile.cal, and then dispwin -c

I can work around it but it's very annoying, can a true "clear video calibration tables" be implemented in madVR?

Last edited by zoyd; 17th June 2013 at 23:10.
zoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2013, 23:48   #19238  |  Link
kasper93
MPC-HC Developer

Quote:
(checking and unchecking the loading of gamma ramps button has no effect).
This works only in full screen exclusive mode. And make sure that you reset playback after changing this switch because it will not work until you reset madvr. Hope this helps a little.
kasper93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2013, 00:33   #19239  |  Link
zoyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasper93 View Post
This works only in full screen exclusive mode. And make sure that you reset playback after changing this switch because it will not work until you reset madvr. Hope this helps a little.
Thanks for the tip but that actually wasn't the problem. Everything works well as long as madVR does not switch refresh rates. The problem was in entering 1080p59 as an allowed mode and then it would switch to that mode on start-up and that hosed the card. If I force 1080p60 there is no reset.
zoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2013, 04:55   #19240  |  Link
pie1394

Quote:
The question is how to define "random". Of course it's not random. But maybe it looks like that to the memory controller, what do I know?
Well... I should said if it is random external DDR3/DDR5 memory access on different memory rows / banks. The GPU's texture memory just works like CPU cache and often fetched / flushed in cacheline unit. The bottleneck of shader's register data fetching from GPU texture cache depends on the SRAM bank accessing race condition...

Based on Plutotype's test on Intel HD4600, it does not surprise me. the GT2/GT3's performance is still far from the requirement of Jinc3_AR scaling at 24~30fps. It looks like just around 10~12 fps for 1280x720 to 1920x1080 upscaling -- the Chroma part's scaling algorithm is not even Jinc3_AR ... I guess it will not be faster than 8 fps if both are scaled by Jinc3_AR.
pie1394 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling