Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs

Old 13th August 2019, 16:20   #17121  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper714 View Post
I ask because I am seeing some strange actions during encoding. Some chunks are stalling before even starting. It seems to eventually start but it takes about a minute or more. I have six servers active (3 different machines) and four servers are stuck on "starting..." Does not always happen but it is intermittent.
Any ideas??
Take a look here https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.p...00#post1881800
Atak_Snajpera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2019, 16:36   #17122  |  Link
Viper714

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atak_Snajpera View Post
Thanks Atak. Wow, quite a bit involved to encoding. Hopefully the compression method you recommend will be implemented.
Viper714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2019, 16:40   #17123  |  Link
byteshare
ByteShare

Quote:
Originally Posted by kempodragon View Post
Byteshare, I already tried removing the job several times with no luck. Imgur.com didn't complain about the file dimensions or size so I decided to be lazy and just post whole screen. Similar problems have happened occasionally after an update so I find that grabbing the latest version and doing a clean install usually solves the problem. The link still only points to 1.24 so I'll have to wait until Atak updates the link. What I find a little strange is that the error message only appears on the server screen, it doesn't get recorded in the log.
Just open RipBot let it load the updated files, then close and reopen and it will install the updates.
-Do you get that index error with the same file on an older version of RipBot?
-It looks like there is either an issue accessing that file (can you confirm it is there?) or something might be up with the video.
-Try remuxing the file with only the video part and loading that.
byteshare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2019, 17:41   #17124  |  Link
duffbeer

Encoding with MDegrain2 seems to be broken since the last major update. The first few minutes are OK but then it becomes a slideshow of about 2 frames per second. I've tried a few different sources (AVC, VC-1, MPG2) but they all do the same thing.
Seems to be since the change to LSmash.
duffbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2019, 18:24   #17125  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffbeer View Post
Encoding with MDegrain2 seems to be broken since the last major update. The first few minutes are OK but then it becomes a slideshow of about 2 frames per second. I've tried a few different sources (AVC, VC-1, MPG2) but they all do the same thing.
That's funny because VC-1 is not being decoded by LSmash but by FFMS2 like in previous version. MDegrain2 has also not been updated.
Old 13th August 2019, 19:22   #17126  |  Link
userx

assertion failed on 1st pass

@Atak_Snajpera

Additional to this issue I maybe have found the cause.
When I start a Job on the remote machine (local job), I run into the same problem if i switch 'x264 OpenCL acceleration' to Capeverde but runs without problems if i switch to None.
On a remote-job Encoding Server doesn't consider the None-setting in the 'RipBot264.ini' and want to use OpenCL accelleration.

This issue only occures in 1st-pass. 2nd-pass seems to run with OpenCL-Capeverde.
Is there an other possibility to tell Encoding Server not to use it?

Last edited by userx; 13th August 2019 at 19:26.
userx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2019, 19:28   #17127  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author

Yes. Just run Encoding server with wrong device id
Example
Quote:
EncodingServer.exe /x264-opencl-device-id 9
or you can just refresh job by clicking EDIT and Done

Last edited by Atak_Snajpera; 13th August 2019 at 19:30.
Old 13th August 2019, 19:34   #17128  |  Link
duffbeer

Quote:
That's funny because VC-1 is not being decoded by LSmash but by FFMS2 like in previous version. MDegrain2 has also not been updated.
Sorry - my mistake. My test sources were AVC and MPG2 but I didn't try VC-1 yet.
I can send samples if it would help.
Old 13th August 2019, 19:34   #17129  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author

Why not?
Old 13th August 2019, 19:38   #17130  |  Link
duffbeer

Quote:
Why not?
Not had time yet. I tried the same sources encoded with v1.24.1 and they were fine. I can test VC-1 if you want me to?
Old 13th August 2019, 19:45   #17131  |  Link
userx

assertion failed on 1st pass

Quote:
Code:
/x264-opencl-device-id 9
Hero of the day!!
No idea why OpenCL isn't working but that solves my problem.
userx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2019, 05:20   #17132  |  Link
byteshare
ByteShare

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffbeer View Post
I've had similar results with AVC/HEVC inputs to 10bit x265 using AVISynth filters such as QTGMC and Megrain2. Without AVIsynth filters speeds seem close enough to the same that I can't tell, so I don' think it could be related to the updated x265.
Using the most recent update (including LSmash update), it seems to slow down the decoding process because extracting a frame is taking way longer when adding a job and using a lot of CPU while doing it.
--Maybe skip that step until someone clicks Edit > AviSynth? Or had Detect boarders on for cropping?
Unless something changed with FFMPEG, but I don't see an update to that since April of this year.
Another thing is I've noticed with filters my second Encoding Server on the same machine is taking way longer to start encoding than the first one, but with only one Encoding Server I'm not getting 100% CPU.
I'm not sure what I could send to help figure this out.
I tried a test with 1.24 vs fully updated 1.25 RipBot.
Same x265 version (one from the newest version of RipBot), same x265 profile, same filters for the same AVIsynth custom script.
For time used just one Encoding Server to encode the same chunk.
Custom:
Code:
video=QTGMC(video,Preset="slower",FPSDivisor=2,NoiseProcess=0).ConvertBits(16).ConvertToStacked()
.SMDegrain(tr=3,thSAD=400,thSADC=150,refinemotion=false,contrasharp=true,plane=4,pel=2,
prefilter=4,Truemotion=False,chroma=true,hpad=32,vpad=32,str=2,amp=1,lsb_in=true,lsb=true,lsb_out=true)
.ConvertFromStacked().ConvertBits(8).FineDehalo().FastLineDarkenMOD4().LSFmod()
(Added line breaks to keep the text from spanning too much on smaller screens.
Results:
confirmed extracting a frame was faster in 1.24
but for FPS of encoding:
1.25 0.20FPS
1.24 0.43FPS
...but, 1.24 was actually much faster than just FPS because the FPS isn't reporting correctly in 1.25 since the encoder isn't actually processing frames the whole time. It looks like the decoder stage is hanging and not passing frames to the encoder as quickly as in 1.24
--Sidenote, in 1.24 it is correctly splitting up the chunks for this file into 58 parts rather than 29 parts (but twice the number of frames roughly) and giving me the option for deinterlace drop down in the AVISynth settings.

Could the decoding slowness have something to do with the changes in the write buffer?

Another update:
So, it seems the extent of this slow down is a lot to do with the filter combintion I'm using as when I try without either SMDegrain or QTGMC the remaining filters are fine, or even when I try different settings such as prefilter 3 for SMD. If I swap SMDegrain for MD2 or Adaptive KNLmeansCL I also don't see the issue.
If I'm getting slow down without other heavy filters/settings it isn't enough to easily detect, but with 1.25 the issue with the above filters is exacerbated for one reason or another.

Last edited by byteshare; 15th August 2019 at 08:17. Reason: More testing
Old 14th August 2019, 09:27   #17133  |  Link
duffbeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by byteshare View Post
I've had similar results with AVC/HEVC inputs to 10bit x265 using AVISynth filters such as QTGMC and Megrain2. Without AVIsynth filters speeds seem close enough to the same that I can't tell, so I don' think it could be related to the updated x265.
Using the most recent update (including LSmash update), it seems to slow down the decoding process because extracting a frame is taking way longer when adding a job and using a lot of CPU while doing it.
--Maybe skip that step until someone clicks Edit > AviSynth? Or had Detect boarders on for cropping?
Unless something changed with FFMPEG, but I don't see an update to that since April of this year.
Another thing is I've noticed with filters my second Encoding Server on the same machine is taking way longer to start encoding than the first one, but with only one Encoding Server I'm not getting 100% CPU.
I'm not sure what I could send to help figure this out.
I tried a test with 1.24 vs fully updated 1.25 RipBot.
Same x265 version (one from the newest version of RipBot), same x265 profile, same filters for the same AVIsynth custom script.
For time used just one Encoding Server to encode the same chunk.
Custom:
Code:
video=QTGMC(video,Preset="slower",FPSDivisor=2,NoiseProcess=0).ConvertBits(16).ConvertToStacked()
.SMDegrain(tr=3,thSAD=400,thSADC=150,refinemotion=false,contrasharp=true,plane=4,pel=2,
prefilter=4,Truemotion=False,chroma=true,hpad=32,vpad=32,str=2,amp=1,lsb_in=true,lsb=true,lsb_out=true)
.ConvertFromStacked().ConvertBits(8).FineDehalo().FastLineDarkenMOD4().LSFmod()
(Added line breaks to keep the text from spanning too much on smaller screens.
Results:
confirmed extracting a frame was faster in 1.24
but for FPS of encoding:
1.25 0.20FPS
1.24 0.43FPS
...but, 1.24 was actually much faster than just FPS because the FPS isn't reporting correctly in 1.25 since the encoder isn't actually processing frames the whole time. It looks like the decoder stage is hanging and not passing frames to the encoder as quickly as in 1.24
--Sidenote, in 1.24 it is correctly splitting up the chunks for this file into 58 parts rather than 29 parts (but twice the number of frames roughly) and giving me the option for deinterlace drop down in the AVISynth settings.

Could the decoding slowness have something to do with the changes in the write buffer?
I think you may have misunderstood my problem. The issue I was referring to are with the encoded output file.
Encoding speed seems a little slower but the biggest problem is when I play back a file that was encoded with 1.25 using MDegrain2. The first 10-20 mins play back OK but then it plays at roughly 2fps. The audio is not affected and continues to play correctly.
I have tried the same source files on 1.24.1 and there is no problem so I believe it has something to do with LSmash.

The other big problem since 1.25 is that it takes roughly 2 minutes to auto crop. Generating a new preview frame also takes at least 1 minute. If I do exactly the same thing with 1.24.1 it crops in about 3-4 seconds.

It would be useful to know if anyone else has these issues. I've never had any serious issues with auto updates in the past, but this is the first time I'm going to have to ignore the latest version as it's virtually unusable in it's current form.
1.24.1 still works perfectly for me.

I've been using RipBot since 2012 and I think it's fantastic but the latest update seems totally broken to me.

Last edited by duffbeer; 14th August 2019 at 10:34.
Old 14th August 2019, 11:09   #17134  |  Link
ReinerSchweinlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by byteshare View Post
In batch mode you've tried setting it to the profile "x.x C O P Y S T R E A M"?
Thanx for your answer.
Yes, of course I did that And it only keeps the first audio stream in batch mode. It has always been like this since I started using RipBot. It would be lovely if RipBot could simply keep all streams when doing batches
ReinerSchweinlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2019, 20:12   #17135  |  Link
ReinerSchweinlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReinerSchweinlin View Post
Thanx for your answer.
Yes, of course I did that And it only keeps the first audio stream in batch mode. It has always been like this since I started using RipBot. It would be lovely if RipBot could simply keep all streams when doing batches
I have to add: Often I donīt want to copy the streams, but encode them to something different (1. stream englisch AC3, 2. Stream japanese DTS -> both to AAC HE)... Either way, in batch mode, only the first stream is transcoded....
ReinerSchweinlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2019, 20:53   #17136  |  Link
Ronski

Hi, I have a bit of a weird problem. I've had this happen in the past and I've simply restarted Windows and its been fine, now it does it all the time, my PC did update to v1903 of Windows 10 (64bit) tonight, so not sure if that's any relevance, I've also turned off my antivirus just in case it was that, but made no difference.

I have two encoding servers set to start with Ripbot, neither are visible in the system tray, neither can Ripbot connect to them although it does connect to the instance on my other PC, but if I open task manager they are both there in the process list, if I open another instance of EncodingServer.exe then that also appears in the process list but still not in the tray or on the desktop.

Any thoughts please?

Edit: Actually I think this may be something to do with Avast, I copied the encodingserver.exe to another directory and ran it, first windows firewall asked if I wanted to permit access, after permitting the encoding server opened, but then it had Avast CyberCapture above it, then promptly disappeared - I'll do some more testing. Odd thing is Avast is running on the other PC as well.

Last edited by Ronski; 14th August 2019 at 21:12.
Ronski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2019, 21:33   #17137  |  Link
byteshare
ByteShare

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReinerSchweinlin View Post
I have to add: Often I donīt want to copy the streams, but encode them to something different (1. stream englisch AC3, 2. Stream japanese DTS -> both to AAC HE)... Either way, in batch mode, only the first stream is transcoded....
Mostly to keep the mkv title of subs I process subs and audio outside of RipBot and mux it all a back at the end with a batch file. If you want any help with that let me know.
Old 15th August 2019, 10:34   #17138  |  Link
duffbeer

Anyone else experiencing cropping speed problems and MDegrain2 problems with v1.25?

I tested a VC-1 source and it was perfect but AVC or MPG2 cannot be encoded with MDegrain2 since the last update.

I'm happy to accept there may be a problem with my specific installation but 1.24 works perfectly.
Is there anything else I should do after the auto update has applied 1.25?
Old 15th August 2019, 10:55   #17139  |  Link
george84

RipBot264 stops responding on Add job

Very simple avs file

Code:
x = ImageSource("testchart1.jpg", 0, 0, fps=24, use_DevIL = true, info=false, pixel_type = "RGB48")
x=ConvertToPlanarRGB(x)
x = z_ConvertFormat(x,resample_filter="bicubic", pixel_type="RGBPS", colorspace_op="rgb:srgb:709:f=>rgb:709:709:f")
x=ConvertToYV12(x)
x = Loop(x,120)
x
is added to RipBot264. It goes to
Quote:
Please Wait ... Gathering Information...
and never comes back. Windows10, RipBot 1.25.0 with all updates done. AVSMeter processes file without problems.
Problem is not important for me. Just FYI.
george84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2019, 11:36   #17140  |  Link
Viper714

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronski View Post
Hi, I have a bit of a weird problem. I've had this happen in the past and I've simply restarted Windows and its been fine, now it does it all the time, my PC did update to v1903 of Windows 10 (64bit) tonight, so not sure if that's any relevance, I've also turned off my antivirus just in case it was that, but made no difference.

I have two encoding servers set to start with Ripbot, neither are visible in the system tray, neither can Ripbot connect to them although it does connect to the instance on my other PC, but if I open task manager they are both there in the process list, if I open another instance of EncodingServer.exe then that also appears in the process list but still not in the tray or on the desktop.

Any thoughts please?

Edit: Actually I think this may be something to do with Avast, I copied the encodingserver.exe to another directory and ran it, first windows firewall asked if I wanted to permit access, after permitting the encoding server opened, but then it had Avast CyberCapture above it, then promptly disappeared - I'll do some more testing. Odd thing is Avast is running on the other PC as well.
I noticed you are running Logitech Software. See my post here. Hope this helps..

There is a post after mine from byteshare (Here) to update to a different version of the Logitech Software as well. I haven't done that yet but plan on doing it soon. Just need to make sure that I do not loss my profiles as I have a few of them for my keyboard...
Viper714 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
264, 265, appletv, avchd, bluray, gui, iphone, ipod, ps3, psp, ripbot264, x264 2-pass, x264 gui, x264_64, x265, xbox360