Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Announcements and Chat > General Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 9th April 2002, 12:09   #61  |  Link
ChristianHJW

Discussion about this subject is going on here if anybody is interested :
http://www.powerdivx.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=367

If somebody had any input on how to make this possible using a DirectShowFilter or whatever to make direct reading from CD possible for playback we would appreciate a lot ...
Old 9th April 2002, 14:27   #62  |  Link
ammer

different site to reference or discuss oversize burning

Go to a cd-r burning site to find out more about this subject. They are more ahead on this subject usually. If you need a site, one could be sited. Post a message for me and i'll get a link to for more about over-burning.
ammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2002, 14:59   #63  |  Link
MaTTeR
AC3 5.1 Addict

@ammer

Overburning isn't really the goal here. Were looking into an entirely different method of burning a format such as MCF to a standard 80min CD but at 800MB instead of the average overburn 710MB.

The focus is how to read the 800MB of data from the CD using standard Windows system calls, etc. It appears a non-M$ driver might be needed for such a beast.
Old 9th April 2002, 15:30   #64  |  Link
ammer

Wouldn't you imagine cd-r "burners" have tried to burn 800mb files on 80min or even 74min cds already?...even a/v files for that matter.
Old 9th April 2002, 15:34   #65  |  Link
ammer

And error corrections can become a matter also. I'd hate to watch a movie that ends 1/3 way through the movie.
Old 9th April 2002, 16:15   #66  |  Link
evilhomer

ammer!

Have you read any of the rest of this thread??? Don't jump in a thread on page 4 and start babbling about stuff already discussed on pages 1,2 and 3...

EDIT: sorry if that sounds harsh, but its so frustrating when I get an e-mail 'cause i've been following a thread and someone posts something addressed a week ago.
evilhomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2002, 17:30   #67  |  Link
ammer

No, not really. Just don't want you guys reinventing the wheel and such. Unless its got steel belts and water treading treads though.
Old 9th April 2002, 20:17   #68  |  Link
MaTTeR
AC3 5.1 Addict

@ammer

Please! Enough posts from you in this thread. Your totally off topic. Read the thread and then also read the MCF specs and then come back with advice.
Old 9th April 2002, 21:03   #69  |  Link
Hanty
Good cop

I'm getting very mixed information about this subject, and despite my private research I have been unable to find a source that really goes into this. But from what I've learned it feels like we are starting out in the wrong end.

Should we not also ask ourselves what new properties the format of the 700Mb+ stuff we want to burn will recieve by effectively changing it to such a degree that it to the computer resembles (for example) an image or mpeg2?

To me I find that a change in the files structure itself in order to achieve the 700Mb+ burnable ability is more realistic than picking apart the fat32/NTFS and messing with hardware configs. (That's my logic as a hardware guy software people might totally blast me for such a notion)

"It's good to be king"
Hanty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2002, 21:19   #70  |  Link
movmasty

>change in the files structure itself

as i said, mpg only video dont need error correction, with audio they need
i guess that to burn SVCD in mode2 the audio/video syncro was done in a different way,but dunno exactly
movmasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2002, 11:26   #71  |  Link
ChristianHJW

Quote:
Originally posted by Hanty
To me I find that a change in the files structure itself in order to achieve the 700Mb+ burnable ability is more realistic than picking apart the fat32/NTFS and messing with hardware configs. (That's my logic as a hardware guy software people might totally blast me for such a notion)
.... in fact, yes ! If i understand you correctly, could you please tell me how we could distribute the firmware upgrades for all CD drivers out there to make them support MCF ?

The normal CD specs give us enough space on normal discs without any overburning or changing hardware specs .. al we need is to do the same as the S-VCD guys are doing, get rid of all the redundant error correction stuff, movies are no files/software.

Mode 2 Form 2 is part of the standard CD specs, every CD drive does support it, and you can easily bring 800 MB on any normal 700 MB CD without overburning.

Of course ( once again ) you cant do this with good old AVI standard because its not prepared for this, but both MCF and Ogg can do it as they have internal error correction in the format system.

We cant use the same tools as the S-VCD guys do, because these are no MPEG2 streams but MCF of Ogg streams we are writing, but we could have a close look how they were doing things .... happening right now !! ...

... stay tuned, there is more to come from the 'new A/V formats' ..

@ammer : rant#3 ... please read a thread and try to understand it before replying .. you obviously missed the point completely here ! Enforcing Overburning is a very very bad thing for a new movie format, especially if you want to achieve enhanced compatibility as MCF is targeting ...
Old 10th April 2002, 12:10   #72  |  Link
temporance

If Ogg and MCF have sufficient error correction to fix CDROM read errors, then they will have similar ECC overhead to M2F1 and M1. So, the extra 100Mbyte capacity available from M2F2 will be occupied by the file format's own error correction. --> no benefit.

IMHO, Ogg/MCF have error detection, not error correction. This is not needed in M2F2 as M2F2 already has built-in error detection.

Remember, the key point is to work like SVCD and audio CDs, that is to use a combination of error detection and error concealment (skipping frames/muting audio) instead of error correction.

And the AVI format is not useless for this application if handled right. It might be a good idea to start experimenting with a known file format and a new disk format rather than trying to work with two relative unknowns.

EDIT: Is there any opensource CD burner project that this could be hooked into?
EDIT2: Yes, see http://www.fokus.gmd.de/research/cc/.../cdrecord.html for burning, not sure about reading

Last edited by temporance; 10th April 2002 at 12:20.
temporance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2002, 17:20   #73  |  Link
Hanty
Good cop

If i understand you correctly, could you please tell me how we could distribute the firmware upgrades for all CD drivers out there to make them support MCF ?

By FTP, http, IRC or even mail if push comes to shove

Well seriously, like I said I'm a hardware guy and I wont pretend that I fully understand the problems that face the software solution.

But if you allow me to digress and come back to ogg, what will it take to fit 800Mb of .ogg and .ogm on a CD?

"It's good to be king"
Hanty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2002, 17:32   #74  |  Link
ChristianHJW

Quote:
Originally posted by Hanty
But if you allow me to digress and come back to ogg, what will it take to fit 800Mb of .ogg and .ogm on a CD?
... well, probably the best would be to talk to Tronic on IRC, openprojects , #mcf ( he is there quite often ) and ask him how he is planning implementation for MCF ... then reading the reply from the elecard developer here http://www.powerdivx.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=367 and finally talk to Tobias Waldvogel in the 'New A/V formats' forums here at Doom9 ( see my signature ) or on http://tobias.everwicked.com to see if he could modify his Ogg splitter accordingly .. this is how i would do it if i could code !!
Old 11th April 2002, 04:36   #75  |  Link
ReferenceDivx

New Divx Hardware Players

How will the new hardware players read divx and Mpeg4 files? Maybe they are thinking of making a new cd format. Maybe someone that has info on how divx players are going to support divx and Mpeg4 can respond. Maybe the people from Divx Networks are thinking of a new CD format?
ReferenceDivx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2002, 21:00   #76  |  Link
DeXT

I think it's still too soon for a standard specification for MPEG-4 on DVD, latest news suggest that the DVD Forum may be thinking in dropping MPEG-4 due to its high licensing costs and adopt a different format... http://www.eetimes.com/sys/news/OEG20020329S0023

I think Whitebook is the way to go. I.e. create a ISO-Bridge CD-ROM/XA format with a first ISO M2F1 track linking to several M2F2 tracks with the actual movie data. This is already supported by Windows and all that is needed is a DirectShow filter that is able to read RAW track data and discard the RIFF header and unneeded sector stuff. MS MPEG-1 Spliter and Elecard MPEG-2 Splitter already do this (as pointed by Peter from Elecard).

Last edited by DeXT; 11th April 2002 at 21:04.
DeXT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2002, 10:18   #77  |  Link
temporance

Hello DeXT,

"ISO M2F1 track linking to several M2F2 tracks with the actual movie data."

Yes, that is what I was thinking too. But, to me it seems that Yellow Book (CDROM) has all we need without worrying about any VCD aspects of White Book (VCD).

BTW, anyone have a copy or synopsis of the colored books?? Any useful information in electronic form?

It looks like Linux would be the best platform for experimenting, but it's going to take me some time to get Linux up and running :-(

It's time to start collecting some resources - is this forum the best place to discuss? BTW, I am agnostic on file format - just fascinated by the potential in the CD technology :-)

EDIT: also does anyone have any info on the file formats bin/cue and iso?

Last edited by temporance; 12th April 2002 at 11:05.
temporance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2002, 11:52   #78  |  Link
ChristianHJW

Quote:
Originally posted by temporance also does anyone have any info on the file formats bin/cue and iso? [/B]
@temporance :

This problem is solved already, Tronic had already been able to create CUE/BIN files for 800 MB MCF CDs AFAIK.

@DeXT, temporance :

what can i do to motivate you to join the MCF coder team ?

You should try to talk to Tronic, ingo and robux4 sooner or later if you're really interested in this subject and helping with giving 800 MB Cds to the community.

Best way is IRC, openprojects server, #mcf or #mediaxw . In the #powerdivx ( same server ) forum you can meet ingo by time.

Or you send mail to the MCF developers mailing list, mcf-devel at lists dot sourceforge dot net ..... a first impression of MCF is to be found here : http://mcf.sourceforge.net .
Old 12th April 2002, 15:05   #79  |  Link
DeXT

Thank you very much for your invitation ChristianHJW, the only problem is, I have very little knowledge about programming, althought I've gained some good knowledge about physical CD formats and CD image formats (feel free to take a look at my small web cdirip.cjb.net).

Sorry about the confussion, when I talked about Whitebook I meant the physical format, i.e. CD-Bridge with ISO and RAW tracks. Tronic has done a good work but if I've understood well, he is just writting files as RAW tracks, creating a CD that is illegible for Windows, and that either must be extracted from a CD tool such as ISObuster for it to be viewed, or needs direct (complex) software support. I personally think this is not the best approach. What he lacks is a ISO-Bridge track which makes it all readable from within Windows (i.e. the same as VCD), and greatly simplifies things, only requiring a DirectShow filter which is able to discard RAW data from the movie file.

The good news is, this has already been done, and as Open Source: it's called VCDImager (www.vcdimager.org). With this tool you can insert RAW files inside the ISO structure, just like VCD tracks. The only problem is, since this is a VCD tool, it still wants at least one MPEG track and all the VCD stuff like PBCs etc that we just don't need. The goal would be removing all this stuff from the source code and create a simple tool which can do exactly what we want. This is the magic of Open Source

I've been digging at VCDImager sources but since I'm poorly skilled for this I think it will be very difficult for me to do this alone, at least in a clean way. If someone wants to help it would be great. For now I think I'll keep in contact with MCF team through IRC, just as a contributor.

Let's see if we can do something good here...

@temporance: take a look at ECMA-130 and ECMA-168 from www.ecma.ch, I think these are the only free CD-ROM standards available on the Net.

Last edited by DeXT; 12th April 2002 at 15:49.
DeXT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2002, 15:21   #80  |  Link
ammer

heres a site for some cd-r related materials

Theres some cd-r related links on general info there also. http://www.cdrinfo.com/