Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > VirtualDub, VDubMod & AviDemux

Old 11th July 2002, 05:54   #1  |  Link
Leuf

Four new filters released

It's been too quiet in here...

The first three are all perversions of the Logo filter by Donald Graft. Over the years I've abused this filter to do all sorts of things, and not once ever used it to actually put a logo on something.

1. Fader

Simple fade in/out to a specified color over specified lengths. I've made a black bitmap and used Logo to make a fadeout with it enough times I broke down and made a filter to do it.

2. Logo - Lite

Trimmed down version of Logo, removes a couple things I didn't need (animated bitmaps, tolerance), simplified start/end/ fade controls, and handles my _x_X_y_Y_ filename convention.

For example, if you name your bitmap blah_x_360_y_20_.bmp, when it is loaded the filter will automatically set x to 360 and y to 20 for you. Over the years I started putting the x,y in the filename so I wouldn't have to remember it later, it made sense to standardize it and have the filter read it.

3. Logo - Simple

Bare bones logo filter - only start/end/x/y controls, but up to 5 logos at once (only the first 3 are saved in scripts though, due to the limits of the scripting language.) There are a lot times I just want to slap a bitmap on without any transparency, usually a black one to block out parts of the frame. Often I need to do more than one, so this cuts down on the overhead.

And finally..

4. X-Logo

My logo removal filter. A lot of debate went into whether this would ever see a public release. A year ago when the first build was made the answer to that was no. But fast forward to today and Delogo has been released, so it's somewhat moot. My main concern in releasing it was in what all the lamer release groups would do with it. But I've decided the only thing I hate more than lamers are the stations that slap logos all over everything with no respect at all for the program they are airing.

I think you'll find X-Logo much easier to use than Delogo, and that it is very effective at dealing with the network bugs it was designed to deal with. For big banner ads it's usually better to just cover them with black (see the 2 filters above) or leave them be. The interpolater can do it, but the result may be more annoying than what it replaces.. and if it's a large area it's going to take *a while* to do.

Hopefully the docs are sufficient. Everyone who has seen it has been using it so long I'd forgotten how to explain it

I'm quite proud of the interpolater, which has gone through many incarnations and now works a lot better than I ever thought it would, but there is still room for improvement. It's mainly for ideas in this area that I'm releasing it. Specifically ideas on reducing flickering, as the scene change detection doesn't do enough to mitigate that.

While most of the code has been thoroughly tested, it used to be three separate filters that have been thrust together under a new interface. It's not completely idiot proofed, so I don't need feedback like "if you put -742 for blah it crashes" Duh. Don't put -742 for anything.

So without further ado.. have at thee

I will be putting up source code sometime..

-Leuf
Leuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2002, 04:02   #2  |  Link
Leuf

Hmm, maybe I would have been better off posting this in the capture forum. At any rate, I've put up v0.4 of x-logo which improves the scene change handling.

I've also put up a sample video to demonstrate what the interpolater can do, since screenshots really do not tell the story. The source is a clip from an Aerosmith video that has the mtv2 logo in the upper right. To keep the filesize down I cropped it down to just the upper right quadrant of the frame, which should be enough to give you a sense of how distracting the result is or isn't. Included in the zip is the source file, and the bitmap to use on it. Simply load the source file, x-logo, and load the bitmap. The default settings should be adequate.

I tried to pick a clip that would show the filter in a good light, but still show it's limitations. The clip is a mix of 4:3 and letterboxed source, with the logo straddling the letterboxing - which is pretty much a nightmare. But for the most part the filter is able to handle it.

-Leuf
Old 15th July 2002, 09:45   #3  |  Link
vidiot

Hallo Leuf,

I tried your filter, because those logos are an annoying thing.
Especially for my kids (the same goes with comercials).
So, if there´s a way to "cut" them out - I´ll try.

The only thing that keeps me away from doing that all the time is the calculation time needed by "Delogo".

Your filter seems to be faster - but I didin´t compare so far (just my first impression).
The downside is the scene detection - sometimes the removed part looks like some pictures before (another color for example).
But maybe I´ve to read ypur maual again and should make some more tests on other material.

One question:
What is the difference between transparent and opaque???

Harald

BTW - Well done!
vidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2002, 10:12   #4  |  Link
Little_Dragon

Thank you for the fader. I will put it to good use.
Little_Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2002, 22:37   #5  |  Link
Leuf

Thanks for the comments Harald and Little_Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by vidiot
The downside is the scene detection - sometimes the removed part looks like some pictures before (another color for example).
There was a bug in the testing for the scene detection - all the RGB values had to fail the threshold to be considered different instead of just one. Try version 0.4.1. There are still going to be some times when a frame isn't recalculated that should be, but to me minimizing flickering is worth the tradeoff. You can always lower the scene change threshold, or set it to 0 to disable it completely.

Quote:
One question:
What is the difference between transparent and opaque???
A transparent logo you can see some of the original frame through, an opague one you can't. With transparent logos you can attempt to restore the original frame, with opague ones you can only look at the area around it and try to guess what should be there. I believe my transparent processing is similar to the "DeBlend" in Delogo, and opague is similar to "Repair".

I've put up another sample to show the transparent processing on a white logo - the plain VH1 logo (which they usually only use in the middle of the night these days, grr) Again the source file and prepared bitmap are in the zip, this one is only 140 kb. When you load the bitmap you should see (22,22,22) under the black bitmap, and Using Black under the interpolater, though we're going to leave the transparency at 255 so no interpolation will be done. You can lower the bitmap blur to 5 since this logo removes very well. If you play with the white level, you should see that lowering it causes some of the logo to still show, while raising it starts to darken the area.

-Leuf
Old 15th July 2002, 23:57   #6  |  Link
Mystic-Dragon

I like your Logo - Lite Filter. I use it now, instead of the Logo Filter of Donald Graft
Mystic-Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2002, 11:53   #7  |  Link
vidiot

Leuf,

just gave your 0.4.1 a qick test -
on an transparaent Logo with a non transparent red dot (german VOX) it works magic an seemed to be fast enough for daily use.
(~18fs/s Mpg1 source 416 x 320) on "old" 1Ghz Athlon)
-> lets see what my 1900+ TB will made out of it...

But i guess it´s the same with many filters:
The speed of RAM is the limit! Am i right?
Time to buy an P4 with Rambus???

I have to make a shootout against delogo on the same source.
Luckily I captured an anime yesterday...

During the quick test I had a VD "Crashdump" but I couldn´t reproduce it afterwards, so it seemed not to be related to your filter...

I hope your continue the good work.
Thank you for this one!

Harald

Last edited by vidiot; 17th July 2002 at 07:42.
vidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2002, 17:19   #8  |  Link
Leuf

I can write the filters, I can't necessarily make them go fast I've gotten a lot of mileage out of my one programming course though. It uses a *lot* of tables, so ram will make some difference.

And by the looks of this article we'll be needing more of these types of filters. "'The news [networks] have shown us that people will accept all sorts of things going on on their screens,' he said." Bite Me.

-Leuf
Old 6th December 2004, 15:36   #9  |  Link
GrauerWolf

Filter-Link

Just wanted to Post the correct Link to the Logo-Lite-Filter (big ls in path):

http://members.verizon.net/~vze3kkvm.../Logo-lite.zip