Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 31st October 2017, 02:45   #46961  |  Link
Oguignant

Hi!!!

HDR works with the Nvidia drivers release 388.13?
Old 31st October 2017, 05:02   #46962  |  Link
leandronb

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post

Maybe it will fix the problem? Or maybe not. We won't know until you try.
I thought that after 385.xx nvidia changed something, and that is why you are recommending it. I will try it, but i'm pretty sure is a windows problem.
Old 31st October 2017, 08:16   #46963  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oguignant View Post
HDR works with the Nvidia drivers release 388.13?
Why don't you try it, it literally takes only minutes.
Old 31st October 2017, 08:25   #46964  |  Link
Oguignant

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
Why don't you try it, it literally takes only minutes.
I have my reasons for not trying it myself. Every time I updated Nvidia drivers I have problems with Calman Client 3... many times I lose icc profiles ...
Old 31st October 2017, 08:45   #46965  |  Link
oldpainlesskodi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oguignant View Post
I have my reasons for not trying it myself. Every time I updated Nvidia drivers I have problems with Calman Client 3... many times I lose icc profiles ...
I have tried 388.13, and immediately rolled back my driver..after washing my mouth out! (HDR borked)

K
oldpainlesskodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2017, 13:45   #46966  |  Link
khanmein

If I use D3D11 (Native) + MPC-HC (FSE), press Esc while the video is playing will caused the screen became black without any cursor & the only solution is to reboot the PC.

Microsoft & NVIDIA are the culprit.

Last edited by khanmein; 31st October 2017 at 13:50.
khanmein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2017, 15:08   #46967  |  Link
Paul Tronc

Vega 56 Performance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
doesn't look like VEGA has any issue with NGU.

Hello Huhn and all people ,

May I ask your opininion about Vega 56 before I buy a new card? I'd like to render bluray and UHD movies on my 4k projector. Coming from a GTX960 which is clearly on the knees, I want to render smooth 4k 10bit videos just like I did with my 1080p projector and blu ray movies, using SVP in combination with madvr. The CPU is a 2600k@4.4Ghz.
I was about to buy a basic 1070 for 350e but I can get a Vega 56 for 40 more euros. Do you think it's worth upgrading to a Vega 56 instead of a 1070? I'd prefer to avoid weird bugs, there a few feedbacks here. Noise and power are not to be considered.
Old 31st October 2017, 15:22   #46968  |  Link
Razoola

Those having HDR not switching off issues in the newer nvidia drivers, do you can a 'software has stopped responding' or other kind of crash as you stop HDR playback?
Razoola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2017, 16:21   #46969  |  Link
xabregas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Tronc View Post

May I ask your opininion about Vega 56 before I buy a new card? I'd like to render bluray and UHD movies on my 4k projector. Coming from a GTX960 which is clearly on the knees, I want to render smooth 4k 10bit videos just like I did with my 1080p projector and blu ray movies, using SVP in combination with madvr. The CPU is a 2600k@4.4Ghz.
I was about to buy a basic 1070 for 350e but I can get a Vega 56 for 40 more euros. Do you think it's worth upgrading to a Vega 56 instead of a 1070? I'd prefer to avoid weird bugs, there a few feedbacks here. Noise and power are not to be considered.
the russian svp??
xabregas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2017, 19:02   #46970  |  Link
clsid

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanmein View Post
If I use D3D11 (Native) + MPC-HC (FSE), press Esc while the video is playing will caused the screen became black without any cursor & the only solution is to reboot the PC.

Microsoft & NVIDIA are the culprit.
I have heard that this problem is going to be fixed in next Win10 cumulative update (next week).

Until then you can fix it by "disabling fullscreen optimizations" in the Windows compatiblity settings of your player.
clsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2017, 19:33   #46971  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Tronc View Post

hard to say but you should really wait for a custom cooled version lower temps give better performance on these cards.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2017, 20:08   #46972  |  Link
Klaus1189

I ordered a Nvidia Card. Is HDR really so bad with Nvidia driver updates -> not working or ???
Klaus1189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2017, 20:47   #46973  |  Link
Asmodian

HDR Works but it isn't smooth, you need to do manual setup/unset or you get a bad image or even a crash. It will probably be fixed in a few versions of the drivers and/or a Windows update. HDR on PC has been hit or miss version to version since I got an HDR display.

Edit: I don't have any HDR content to watch on PC, that isn't a demo, so this hasn't been an issue for me. Still it is impressive how hard keeping HDR working apparently is.

Last edited by Asmodian; 31st October 2017 at 20:55.
Asmodian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2017, 21:03   #46974  |  Link
Werewolfy

Quote:
Well, you probably won't want to constantly use nearest neighbor upscaling, so using a keyboard shortcut to activate it on demand should do the trick, shouldn't it?
Well, it's not very convenient because you have to manually disable doubling in the UI too.

I know that you redesigned the UI and that you don't have the place anymore for nearest-neighbor so I'm not asking you to modifiy it again just to add this option now. But if you should modify again the UI in the future, please keep in mind that the return of nearest-neighbor is a good idea for some usages.

Or you could probably remove Spline, I think that nobody uses it...
Old 31st October 2017, 21:28   #46975  |  Link
Razoola

The last driver I have used where HDR seems to switch on and off correctly is 384.94, I don't know if any 385.xx driver works correctly with HDR switching but 387.92 and up to 388.13 are all broke for me.
Razoola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2017, 21:56   #46976  |  Link
Dorohedoro

Not directly related to madvr, but I have a question for you madshi because you have a jvc projector like me. Do you have some panning flickering playing at 23hz? I know that is normal for film content (there is flicker at the theater too) but with my jvc the effect is more apparent on some bright high contrast movies like for example Everest. Do you think I will see any improvements in motion if I play a movie with a high end player like the oppo 203? or it will be the same because of the projector?

I have to say that I hate frame interpolation.

Thanks man.
Dorohedoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2017, 23:01   #46977  |  Link
Clammerz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolfy View Post
Well, it's not very convenient because you have to manually disable doubling in the UI too.
I know that you redesigned the UI and that you don't have the place anymore for nearest-neighbor so I'm not asking you to modifiy it again just to add this option now. But if you should modify again the UI in the future, please keep in mind that the return of nearest-neighbor is a good idea for some usages.
Or you could probably remove Spline, I think that nobody uses it...
Pretty sure there were a few people still adamant about spline.

Regarding nearest neighbour, perhaps it's best to have as a filename/folder tag which ignores other scaling settings. Since you would usually know that you want to use it on a file/folder by file/folder basis.
Clammerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2017, 00:50   #46978  |  Link
Werewolfy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clammerz View Post
Pretty sure there were a few people still adamant about spline.

Regarding nearest neighbour, perhaps it's best to have as a filename/folder tag which ignores other scaling settings. Since you would usually know that you want to use it on a file/folder by file/folder basis.
Thanks, very clever. I will try that.
Old 1st November 2017, 03:04   #46979  |  Link
leandronb

Quote:

Maybe it will fix the problem? Or maybe not. We won't know until you try.
Just tested with nvidia 385.69 same problem happens. Seems like is a windows 10 fall creators issue.
Old 1st November 2017, 08:41   #46980  |  Link
oldpainlesskodi

Quote:
Originally Posted by leandronb View Post
Just tested with nvidia 385.69 same problem happens. Seems like is a windows 10 fall creators issue.
385.41 or 378.92 working fine for HDR on the Fall update here (as I am now repeating myself )

K
oldpainlesskodi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling