Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > DVD & BD Rebuilder

Old 10th September 2011, 14:02   #801  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by longtom View Post
So, i learned now a little bit more on forced subtitles.
Great would be if BD Rebuilder extracts ONLY the forced subtitles of a subtitle track. (e.g. Pavtube Blu-Ray ripper has such a feature, but makes not as good conversions as Elgato).
Then in Elgato i can select these subtitles and then its hardcoded.

@jdobbs would this be possible? Thx!
Individual subtitles (not a complete stream) are "forced". In other words, you may have a complete stream of "English" subtitles that reflect all spoken words -- but only a few (for example when a different language is spoken) might be "forced".

Subtitles are so small that they virtually no impact on the output quality -- why even bother worrying about it? Just keep all subtitles all the time (that's what I do).

Of course, now that I think about it, sometimes European titles can have a huge number of subs... I guess just having to select from that list during playback might be a factor. I'll take a look at it. Unfortuantely it would mean I have to scan the entire set of subtitle streams to see if any are "forced".

Last edited by jdobbs; 10th September 2011 at 14:05.
jdobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2011, 14:11   #802  |  Link
longtom

The "problem" is that when i select the subtitles in Elgato Turbo.264 then all subtitles (Extracted from BD Rebuilder) are visible all the time in the Video.
When BD Rebuilder extracts only the forced (Option), then only the forced would be visible.
longtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2011, 14:16   #803  |  Link
longtom

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdobbs View Post
Unfortuantely it would mean I have to scan the entire set of subtitle streams to see if any are "forced".
Yes, maybe if "Forced" option is enabled to scan before are there any forced ones and afterwards to extract them. I don't know if it is possible to do it "on the fly".

Also i don't know how Pavtube Blu-Ray Ripper is doing it.
I select the stream and then there is no visible scan for forced subs, encoding starts from the beginning (to e.g. AppleTV Format).

Old 14th September 2011, 17:13   #804  |  Link
jwjohnson

Here's my workflow for forced subs:
Rip to HD with AnyDVDHD.
BDRB Movie Only with 1 English Soundrack and all English Subs.
Use BDSub2Sup to examine the subs in the BDRB workfiles folder. It will report if there are forced subs in each sub track. If there are none, that just makes it easier. (You can skip the rest and just use the built in function in BDRB to output for a different device. Since there aren't any forced subs you don't need to mess with them.)
Use RipBot264 and load the single .mt2s file created by BDRB. I adjust settings to 2 pass encoding with 1024 bitrate, no cropping, and resize to whatever I need. (Usually this is for my iPad so I do 1024xwhatever is needed for the aspect ratio of the movie. RipBot264 will Demux the mt2s and then let you pick which sub/audio streams to put back in your movie. (If you didn't check the subs out in the BDRB/Workfiles folder you can do that now with BDsub2sup. They are in the Temp/Work/YourMovie folder that RipBot created) In the subtitle selection in Ripbot I just pick the stream that has the forced subs and then make sure it is only going to display the forced ones. You can also use the preview function and see the subtitles as they will end up. If all looks good, I add it to the queue and then start the reencode. RipBot is definitely slower than BDRB, but you will eventually end up with a good looking/sounding movie that displays the forced subs and plays on your device.

It's worked for me so far on all the movies I've tried (Avatar extended collectors, Taken, Tourist, Da Vinci Code, Angels and Demons to mention a few).

Jeff

Last edited by jwjohnson; 14th September 2011 at 17:17.
jwjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2011, 17:20   #805  |  Link
longtom

Thanks, I'll try.

Nevertheless if BD Rebuilder extracts only the forced ones, it would be much easier (at least for me )
Old 14th September 2011, 17:35   #806  |  Link
longtom

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwjohnson View Post
Here's my workflow for forced subs:
Rip to HD with AnyDVDHD.
BDRB Movie Only with 1 English Soundrack and all English Subs.
Use BDSub2Sup to examine the subs in the BDRB workfiles folder. It will report if there are forced subs in each sub track. If there are none, that just makes it easier. (You can skip the rest and just use the built in function in BDRB to output for a different device. Since there aren't any forced subs you don't need to mess with them.)
Use RipBot264 and load the single .mt2s file created by BDRB. I adjust settings to 2 pass encoding with 1024 bitrate, no cropping, and resize to whatever I need. (Usually this is for my iPad so I do 1024xwhatever is needed for the aspect ratio of the movie. RipBot264 will Demux the mt2s and then let you pick which sub/audio streams to put back in your movie. (If you didn't check the subs out in the BDRB/Workfiles folder you can do that now with BDsub2sup. They are in the Temp/Work/YourMovie folder that RipBot created) In the subtitle selection in Ripbot I just pick the stream that has the forced subs and then make sure it is only going to display the forced ones. You can also use the preview function and see the subtitles as they will end up. If all looks good, I add it to the queue and then start the reencode. RipBot is definitely slower than BDRB, but you will eventually end up with a good looking/sounding movie that displays the forced subs and plays on your device.

It's worked for me so far on all the movies I've tried (Avatar extended collectors, Taken, Tourist, Da Vinci Code, Angels and Demons to mention a few).

Jeff
Till now i check with HdBrStreamExtractor and SupRip if there are forced ones.
If then i would convert it with pavtube blu ray ripper (option only forced subtitles checked), maybe before extract main movie with BDRebuilder (didn't have enough time if Pavtube markes the Main movie exactly) , finished.
If not, extract main movie with BDRebuilder, convert with Elgato H.264, finished.
Old 15th September 2011, 00:07   #807  |  Link
Rich86

Identify Selected or Default Playlist from Menu

The latest "game" studios are playing with released BDs is to have disguised, bogus and multiple playlists in order to confound backing up a title in movie only mode. It can be tricky to identify which playlist is the correct one. Sometimes these multiple playlists are legitimate (dynamic branching of different language titles, etc. in films - Disney does this a bit). At other times, it is just intended to convince a program or person to process an incorrect playlist. As an example . . the animated feature "Anastasia" has 4 playlists that look alike (same length, # of chapters, etc.). BDRB defaults to the lowest numbered one. How can we be certain that is the one we want? Is there a way to reliably determine which playlist is being run by the main menu on the disc, so we can be sure to pick the right one when backing it up or converting it? Is there a player program that will handle the menus and show which playlist has been selected and is running?
Rich86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2011, 00:23   #808  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich86 View Post
The latest "game" studios are playing with released BDs is to have disguised, bogus and multiple playlists in order to confound backing up a title in movie only mode. It can be tricky to identify which playlist is the correct one. Sometimes these multiple playlists are legitimate (dynamic branching of different language titles, etc. in films - Disney does this a bit). At other times, it is just intended to convince a program or person to process an incorrect playlist. As an example . . the animated feature "Anastasia" has 4 playlists that look alike (same length, # of chapters, etc.). BDRB defaults to the lowest numbered one. How can we be certain that is the one we want? Is there a way to reliably determine which playlist is being run by the main menu on the disc, so we can be sure to pick the right one when backing it up or converting it? Is there a player program that will handle the menus and show which playlist has been selected and is running?
You can right-click on the M2TSs and play them from within BD-RB.

Some of them (like "Source Code") have a ridiculous number of choices -- and most are goofy (with repeated scenes). There's no easy way to tell which is the "real" feature.
Old 15th September 2011, 17:56   #809  |  Link
jwjohnson

If you are using AnyDVDHD to decrypt the movie it will tell you the valid playlists (it works fine for Source Code).
Old 15th September 2011, 18:37   #810  |  Link
longtom

Quote:
If you are using AnyDVDHD to decrypt the movie it will tell you the valid playlists (it works fine for Source Code).
Where do you see this in AnyDVDHD?
Old 15th September 2011, 18:39   #811  |  Link
longtom

@jdobbs
Is the Ipad 1280x720p output the same as it would be for AppleTV2?
Is it Stereo or 5.1?
Old 15th September 2011, 18:40   #812  |  Link
Rich86

Quote:
I do not use AnyDVD. I'm not working with "Source Code".
I was actually playing around with the animated title "Anastasia" which indicates 4 full feature playlists - all valid, the same length and all the same number of chapters. I expect they are related to language selections where dynamic branching is used to change the language being displayed in credits, titles, etc. within the movie itself. Disney uses this approach also. That's why I was inquiring about a method to indicate or tell which playlist the BD disc menu process has selected and is using/playing as a way to select the desired playlist to be processed within BD-RB.
Old 15th September 2011, 22:11   #813  |  Link
jwjohnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by longtom View Post
Where do you see this in AnyDVDHD?
You see it in the blu ray disc status window.
Old 15th September 2011, 23:14   #814  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
You see it in the blu ray disc status window.
Hmmm... I've never noticed that. I think I'll check it out. If there's a way for them to find it -- there has to be a way for me as well.
Old 16th September 2011, 02:04   #815  |  Link
Rich86

Quote:
Hmmm... I've never noticed that. I think I'll check it out. If there's a way for them to find it -- there has to be a way for me as well.
I believe the newest versions of these decrypting programs (Slysoft & Fengtao) are requiring internet connections to handle newer titles. I wonder if the programs need access to file servers to access data telling the program which playlist, etc. to default to. If AnyDVD knows which playlist to default to in a title such as "Source Code", is that because the program can figure it out? Or because someone figured it out and made the info available to the program via the Slysoft program server. Just some thoughts . . .
Old 16th September 2011, 04:48   #816  |  Link
jwjohnson

Quote:
Here's a link to some discussion on it. That may help to get you started.

http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=49011
Old 16th September 2011, 14:04   #817  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Here's a link to some discussion on it. That may help to get you started.

http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=49011
Ahh... so it only applies to Java protected discs. I'm guessing (a questionable guess) the BD-J code is scanned for a text string then. Of course that probably wouldn't work for 99% of titles.
Old 16th September 2011, 21:34   #818  |  Link
Ch3vr0n

@rick86: you're wrong about anydvd "requiring" internet to handle newer protections. The online database speeds up decryption but is not a requirement. If you disable the database in settings it will still decrypt just might take a bit longer. And if it fails to decrypt you can then try the online BD.
Ch3vr0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2011, 05:01   #819  |  Link
Rich86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch3vr0n View Post
@rick86: you're wrong about anydvd "requiring" internet to handle newer protections. The online database speeds up decryption but is not a requirement. If you disable the database in settings it will still decrypt just might take a bit longer. And if it fails to decrypt you can then try the online BD.
OK - I was basing my comments on posts in the Fengtao & Slysoft forums where server updates were applied to handle new titles (where before it seemed to always require a new release to handle something they had not anticipated).
Old 17th September 2011, 12:29   #820  |  Link
Ch3vr0n

server updates are applied yes and that results in the increased decryption but it's not mandatory. hell i've had it use the local database on newer discs. If it would NEED the online database then there wouldn't be a local one anymore + there would be no need for Peer to create special BDPHash.bin's (for blu-rays) to get a local decryption. Even with the online database if they're really new or have a new protection there's no guarantee that the online database will be able to decrypt. Thats why a local DB will always be usefull, that and the fact that not every computer is hooked up to the internet. If they were making it mandatory to have online access (like that crappy passkey or DVDFab itself), then a bucketload of users would get screwed over that don't hook their computer up to the net. They'd be unable to decrypt the discs. That's not a slysoft way, thats the fengtao "screw you" way.
Ch3vr0n is offline   Reply With Quote