Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > DVD & BD Rebuilder

Old 13th April 2004, 03:45   #1  |  Link
wmansir

DVD ReBuilder: Installation, Setup, and Usage

DVD ReBuilder: Installation, Setup, and Usage

UPDATE: Rockas has put together a fully installable version of DVD-RB that will get you started right out of the box. There are other tools listed below you may want or need.

PREPARING FOR INSTALLATION:

You will need ALL of these tools (all are free -- and are included in the Installer):
  • DVD Decrypter (Version 3.2.1.0 or above) or another ripping program (if backing up encrypted DVDs)
  • AVISYNTH installed (Version 2.5 or above recommended)
  • DGDecode or MPEG2DEC3 Avisynth Plugin (without lost-frame-bug) DVD-RB is not compatible with MPEG2Dec 1.02 and greater. If you experience problems with your .avs files, be sure and check your version. When in doubt, use the version linked here.
  • DVD Rebuilder, of course.
Supported Encoders, you need at least ONE of these:
[Note: QuEnc, HC, ReJig are included in the installer]
  • Cinemacraft Encoder (The Basic version is available for $59) -- Highest quality, Highly recommended.
  • ReJig by NIC (Free) -- this is actually a high-quality high-speed transcoder
  • QuEnc 0.52 or later by NIC (Free) -- a good quality encoder, the best you'll get for free. DVD-RB v0.57 requires QuEnc v0.52 or later, Earlier versions are compatible with QuEnc v0.51 and earlier.
  • HC Encoder by Hank315 (Free) -- a very high quality encoder.
  • ProCoder by Canopus (requires ECLPRO) -- a professional level encoder.
  • AutoQMatEnc by SAPSTAR (Free) -- a unique implementation of the libavcodec engine that uses QMatOp technology.
  • (Planned support) TMPGENC
  • Others -- based upon demand.
Tools you MAY need (also free):
  • ECLCCE -- You need this if you are using CCE 2.5 or a TRIAL version of CCE 2.66 or greater.
  • Daemon Tools or similar Virtual Drive software -- You will need this if you plan to use a mounted ISO as your source.
  • Decomb Package -- You need this if you plan to use the deinterlace function. Make sure you get the package for your version of AviSynth (2.0 or 2.5). They are not interchangeable.

INSTALLATION:
  1. Download and install AVISYNTH. At the time of this writing the most current version was v2.54 which has been tested and is completely compatible with DVD-RB.
  2. Download and install DVD Decrypter. At the time of this writing the current version was 3.2.1.0 and it has been tested and works great with DVD-RB.
  3. Next, you must have a copy of MPEG2DEC3DG.DLL installed on your computer. At the time of this writing it is contained in a ZIP file DECODEFIX100.ZIP, in the AviSynth plugin list, linked above. Extract that file into a directory called "plugins" under the AVISYNTH directory (created in step 1). Usually it is "C:\Program Files\AviSynth 2.5\plugins\".

New Versions of DVD Rebuilder can also use Donald Graft's DGDecode.dll. It comes with the DGMPEGDec package.
  4. Install one of the encoders listed above. CCE is recommended for highest quality. If you are using a trial version of CCE or CCE 2.5 you will need to install and setup ECLCCE. It is easy to setup, just extract the ECLCCE.zip into your CCE directory and run EclCCE.exe. It will ask you to find your CCE executable, do so. CCE should start, close it.
  5. Install DVD-RB. All you need to do is create a directory somewhere (possibly in C:\Program Files\DVD-RIP) and copy Rebuilder.exe into that folder. You may also want to create a shortcut on your desktop.

SETUP:
  1. Run DVD-RB.
  2. Click on "Options" on the menu bar and then "Setup".
  3. Set the path to the encoder(s) you plan on using. If you are using ECLCCE you must select the "EclCCE.exe" executable, NOT the CCExxx.exe executable.
  4. If you placed MPEG2DEC3DG.DLL in your plugin directory you shouldn't have to set it here. However, if you don't want it to auto load for some reason, or are encountering script errors, you can define it here and force DVD-RB to explicitly define it in your scripts.
  5. If you plan on using the deinterlace setting you will need to provide the path to decomb*.dll. Just download the .ZIP file from the link above and extract the .dll anywhere you want. Then set the path here.
  6. You can also set the default for audio streams you like to keep/delete in you processing. CHECKING an language here will REMOVE it by default. You can also have DTS streams removed by default, regardless of language.
  7. Click Done to go back to DVD-RB's main window.
  8. Click on "Mode" on the menu bar and select your encoding method. If you are using CCE, also click "Options" from the menu bar and under CCE->, select the version of CCE you are using.

You may also want to take the opportunity to go through the available menus and familiarize yourself with the program Settings.

USAGE:
  1. The preferred method is to create an ISO image of the DVD and mount this as a Virtual Drive. With this method the VIDEO_TS directory on you Virtual Drive will be your SOURCE PATH.

Alternately, you can use DVD Decrypter, in FILE MODE, to rip the entire DVD, not just the movie, to your hard drive. With this method DVD Decrypter's output directory will be your SOURCE PATH.
  2. When your source is setup, run DVD-RB. Use the browse button to point the SOURCE PATH.
  3. Create a working directory. It can be anywhere -- but make sure there is plenty of room for processing. In ReJig mode, the working directory will need as much as twice the space of the Ripped DVD (up to 18GB). In CCE and QuEnc Mode, it will need around 9 GB. The working directory will be overwritten when processing occurs, so be careful. In DVD-RB, use the browse button to point to the working path.
  4. Make any custom settings for this project. This includes picking your audio tracks, converting to Half-D1, 4:3 letterbox to 16:9 conversion, or any other special settings you want.

------------------ METHOD A: ONE CLICK ---------------
    If you just want to let DVD-RB do it's thing use this method.
  1. Select "One Click" under the "Options Menu" -- by doing so all actions will occur automatically with the push of one "Transcode" button. Push that Button.

As actions are performed you will see status updates in the DVD-RB Status box. This can take several hours depending upon your system, the size of the DVD and conversion settings.
  2. Test and burn.

When DVD-RB is complete the working directory will contain the output in a folder called "VIDEO_TS". You can test this output using programs like WinDVD and PowerDVD by using their "Open DVD file on hard drive" features. Just select the VIDEO_TS folder as your source.

When you are satisfied you can burn the output with the program of your choice. If you don't have a program of choice, follow mrbass's instructions. When you make your DVD image, be sure your working directory only contains the VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS folders, other temporary folders can be deleted.
  1. ------------------ METHOD B: THREE CLICK ---------------

For those who like to keep control, you can use the "Three Click" method that is the default. It let's you hold the keys to all activities.
  2. Press the "Prepare" button.
    Quote:
    Here's what happens (about 4-5 minutes total):
    1. All the VTSs in the source directory are scanned and a .D2V files are created
    2. AVS files are also created automatically all in \D2VAVS under the "Working Path"
    3. All .AVS files represent the VTSs divided into "segments" -- each segment typically represents an individual cell (VOBID/CELLID). It can also represent portions of a cell (e.g. in interleaving)
    4. All parameters are optimally calculated (including bitrate) and are stored in an .ECL (CCE Project File)
    5. A REBUILDER.INI file is created which contains information on how to put it all back together.
  3. When preparation is complete you can either open the ECL file with CCE and modify as you see fit, or just press the "Encode" button. This can take several hours depending upon your system, the size of the DVD and conversion settings.
  4. After encoding is completed, you get to see where DVD-RB's real magic comes in. Push the "Rebuild" button and the video you've just created is merged and multiplexed with the original audio and subtitle streams. A new VIDEO_TS directory is created in the "Working Path".
  5. Test and burn. See Method A, Step b above.

Last edited by jdobbs; 6th October 2006 at 11:58.
wmansir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2004, 03:46   #2  |  Link
wmansir

Most of the above post should look very familiar as it is mostly from DVD-RB's readme. I've just formated, linkified and tweaked it for the most part.

If you have any suggestions or corrections post them below. As we all know DVD-RB is evolving quickly but I will try and keep this up-to-date.

EDIT 1: changed format to use Numbered Lists. I think it looks much better. I had to use the "quote" block near the end because it wouldn't let me nest lists.
EDIT 2: added info on disc size requirements. Thanks luphy.
EDIT 3: added link to Settings thread.
EDIT 4: added Mounted ISO as preferred source method.

Last edited by wmansir; 24th April 2004 at 14:43.
Old 13th April 2004, 05:07   #3  |  Link
luphy

Could you explain for total noobs like me when you would need/want to use the deinterlace option?

Thanks.

And could you explain why DVDRB needs up to almost twice the space of the original source during its processing, and under what circumstances? What's it doing that it needs to create up to 16 or 17 gbs!?
luphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2004, 05:22   #4  |  Link
jdobbs

@wmansir

Thanks. This really looks nice!
Old 13th April 2004, 05:50   #5  |  Link
wmansir

Quote:
Originally posted by luphy
Could you explain for total noobs like me when you would need/want to use the deinterlace option?

Thanks.

And could you explain why DVDRB needs up to almost twice the space of the original source during its processing, and under what circumstances? What's it doing that it needs to create up to 16 or 17 gbs!?
I'm working on a SETTINGS guide which isn't quite finished yet. When it is done I will link to it at a couple of points in this guide.

As for Deinterlace. There are only 2 reasons I can think of:

1. You plan to watch the resulting movie on a progressive display, like your computer, but you don't like your software player's on-the-fly deinterlacing.

2. It is said to improve compression. So if you have a low bitrate it might be worth it.

I probably won't go into this too much in the Settings guide either, but will look for a good webpage to link to.

As for space, it shouldn't need twice the space of the original, unless you count the source directory. The working path ALONE will need AT LEAST 9 GB in CCE mode. I haven't tried the other modes, so I can't say how much room they need. I'll have to look into it.

EDIT: Looks like it is needed for ReJig mode, I will add this info to the guide.

Last edited by wmansir; 13th April 2004 at 05:59.
Old 13th April 2004, 10:56   #6  |  Link
jdobbs

Here's how much space you need:

1. Space enough for a copy of the DVD so you can decode, it up to ~9GB
2. Space enough for the info after the scans, tiny ~70MB
3. If you are using ReJig, space enough to demux the video, up to about ~8GB
4. Another up to ~4GB for the .M2V files created in reencoding.
5. Up to 4.38GB for the output VIDEO_TS directory.

So in a worst case scenario using ReJig you'd need ~25.5GB. If you turn on "minimize disc space" (when it is enabled) you can get that down to 16GB.

The best case (CCE or QuEnc) would be a mounted disc with a deencrypting driver. Then you would need about 8-9GB. Video processing just uses a lot of space! You should see what is needed when converting DV home movie to DVD (with CCE quality).

Last edited by jdobbs; 13th April 2004 at 11:00.
jdobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2004, 14:32   #7  |  Link
DDogg
Retired, but still around

Very nice job, wmansir. Looks sharp and very readable. One of you ought to make it a stickie.
DDogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2004, 16:29   #8  |  Link
wmansir

I stickied this for now. In order to keep the number of stickies reasonable, once other documents are up I will make One Stickie To Rule Them All! and link to the others.

Edit: to clarify, I meant DVD-RB related stickies. I'll leave mrbass's general stickies of course.
Old 13th April 2004, 17:50   #9  |  Link
jdobbs

I've hesitated to make stickys etc. myself for DVD-RB because it might give the impression that I'm using my moderator position for self-promotion.
Old 13th April 2004, 20:21   #10  |  Link
quantum

Wait till I tell everyone you forced my title on me
quantum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2004, 22:41   #11  |  Link
jdobbs

Old 14th April 2004, 17:42   #12  |  Link
Trahald
Wewkiee

Quote:
Originally posted by wmansir
I stickied this for now. In order to keep the number of stickies reasonable, once other documents are up I will make One Stickie To Rule Them All! and link to the others.

Edit: to clarify, I meant DVD-RB related stickies. I'll leave mrbass's general stickies of course.
my preciousss?

kidding aside, definately neat and readable.. good show
Old 28th April 2004, 16:49   #13  |  Link
tomaste

I made a snipurl to this page to better evangelize DVD-RB!

Feel free to use it:

http://snipurl.com/dvdrb
tomaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2004, 15:58   #14  |  Link
mmasw

Error message mystery

well, I've tried to test DVD Rebuilder but I haven't had any success.

I've gone through the preliminary steps (several times).....installing AviSynth2.54....installing MPEG2Dec3dg.dll in the Avisynth Plug-ins directory....installing CCE...

and I end up in the same cul-de-sac every time, which is:

I unzip DVD Rebuilder into a folder, and when I click on it I immediately get the error message :

" Run-time error '5'
Invalid Procedure call or argument "

that's as far as I can get....I'm assuming I have some existing program in conflict, Or maybe it's because I still use W98 SE. Or maybe I live at the wrong latitude.

Anyone have a clue?
mmasw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2004, 17:45   #15  |  Link
robert980

mpeg2dec ?!?!?

Hi there,

I use:
newest version of rebuilder,
CCESP with ECL 2.67
combined with all other (free) files downloaded from the Rebuilder-Homepage

So I read the info about using the mpeg2dec3dg-file which is included in die dvd2avi-package. The Fileversion ist 1010.
Working with that one I always get problems during the Encoding process.
The whole process only takes 1 minute, then it goes to step 3 with the known error 0004.

I looked around in the web and found at an italian board the info to try version 1.0 which is very old (2003) instead of the 1010.
And it works fine.

How could it be, that at the rebuilders page version 1010 ist recommended as to havent got the lost-frame-problem and it doesnt work and a old version does it?
At rebuilders' is also told that versions after 1.02 are known to wont work with rebuilder.
So that 1.00 I use seems to be the last one which does.
Has it got the known lost-frame bug?

Does anyone know why version 1010 doesnt want to work?

Thanx for help.

A big thanks to the author for making such a nice tool

Best regards
rob
robert980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2004, 01:10   #16  |  Link
jdobbs

I'm using version 1.0.1.0 and I'm not seeing any problems. I'd recommend you just stay with 1.0.0.0 -- in one of the upcoming versions it is my plan to support the new DG versions.
Old 25th June 2004, 01:25   #17  |  Link
robert980

thx for you reply!
and how do you think yout the "lost frame" problem?
Old 25th June 2004, 01:28   #18  |  Link
wmansir

Version 1.0.1.0 (linked above) has the lost frame bug fixed.

Also, I just sent Doom9 the correction to the website guide, it was erroneously updated to point to the latest version of DGdecode.
Old 25th June 2004, 01:31   #19  |  Link
robert980

does that mean version 1.0.0.0 hadnt had ever a lost-frame-bug?
Old 25th June 2004, 02:01   #20  |  Link
wmansir

1.0.0.0 (from the file Decodefix100.zip) doesn't have the frame lose bug.

Before that it gets kind of sketchy because the project was dropped by the original author and then picked up by several different people who patched, improved, and ported it from AVS 2.0x to AVS 2.5x over the last couple of years. I'm glad Donald decided to pick it up and give his new releases a different name because Mpeg2Dec's version history is very convoluted.