Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 14th November 2017, 21:40   #47161  |  Link
plasma

So I upgraded from win 10 home to win 10 pro and now I have huge performance issues. Not sure if it is cause by madvr or some other component. If I enable svp+madvr it stutters with like 1 fps altho gpu and cpu are working properly. If I disable svp it is smooth (aka 24 fps) but render times per frame are still very high. If I use my mouse scroll to change loudness the framerate tanks again just because of the small volume overlay I assume.

Have already reinstalled mpc-hc.

It is not cause by gpu or cpu power settings or anything similar and with madvr I have not enabled anything just bicubic, so this is not the reason.
plasma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2017, 22:44   #47162  |  Link
Asmodian

Have you reinstalled your GPU drivers too? How do you know it isn’t gpu power settings, already on adaptive?
Old 15th November 2017, 02:45   #47163  |  Link
takenori

i know peoples here probably using tvs as their main display,
but is there any viable 4khdr monitor thats already on the market, preferrably uinder 1500usd? and how does it performs in terms of movie and video playback compared to tvs?
i want to use madvr features fully
takenori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2017, 03:27   #47164  |  Link
ryrynz

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbrea...r-4k-hdr-hdr10 might be worth a look.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2017, 11:28   #47165  |  Link
GCRaistlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Quote:
Which version of AMD driver is currently the best for madVR / Win8.1 / HD7850?
I don't know.
I mean is there any known issue like http://bugs.madshi.net/view.php?id=431?

Magically yours
Raistlin
GCRaistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2017, 11:58   #47166  |  Link
chros

How does HDR10 work on UHD BD?

I started to fool around with UHD BD encodes (x265 10bit HDR10) on my 3dlut calibrated SD setup (see my signature below) and I realized that I don't understand a lot of things about how it works. (Please bear with me, I don't have the necessary hardware to play with them, and I didn't find any useful article about this.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manni View Post
The HDR10 mandatory layer plays just as well, and if you don't have a 12bits display or content handling ICtCp (which UHD Bluray doesn't) the differences are minimal.
Given the excellent quality of MadVR's dithering, I suspect the PQ difference from the higher bit depth (especially from a 1080p layer) would be close to nil. And dynamic metadata makes a bigger difference on low-end displays (those with a limited native contrast).
1. Data
Picture data is stored as bt.2020 (???) 10bit 4:2:0, or just or DCI-P3 in a bt.2020 container (???), resulting in a washed out picture.
- Wait, what????! Washed out picture?
- so, how does a true red become some greyish color when it's stored?
- I thought we have a truly increased color space compared to bt.709. Is it similar cheating as with those old anamorphic DVDs?
How does the static HDR10 metadata look like?
- is it stored in the beginning of the hevc video data?
- is it just couple of properties (bytes) about the mastering attributes and picture levels and "that's it"?

2. Processing
Splitter and decoder pass data to renderer (MadVR) for further processing:
- that probably happens in the "limited washed out pictures" world
- then either passthrough or HDR processing happens (for SD displays)
-- what does bt.2020 -> DCI-P3 means in OSD?

3. Displaying via passtrhough
Let's suppose that I understand how to calibrate an HDR display (that I don't ). Comparing to SD displays, how does the device behave with HDR10? (TVs, projectors)
- does it automatically increase/decrease "brightness" during playback? If so, can the device do it only for certain region or just the whole display? (especially if the questions about HDR10 in point 1. are true )
-- e.g. my SD display is set to ~120 nits, while can it happen that HDR display operates for a long time on 400nits????? If this is true (again) how can you calibrate it at all???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manni View Post
The optional Dolby Vision layer is 1080p only, and the only thing it adds is 12bits over 10bits as well as dynamic metadata.
Really? Only 1080p of 12bit data? (I assume 4:2:0, again) That's definitely sound like cheating!

I think this amount of question is enough for starters Thanks!

Last edited by chros; 15th November 2017 at 12:00.
chros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2017, 12:11   #47167  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chros View Post
1. Data
Picture data is stored as bt.2020 (???) 10bit 4:2:0, or just or DCI-P3 in a bt.2020 container (???), resulting in a washed out picture.
- Wait, what????! Washed out picture?
- so, how does a true red become some greyish color when it's stored?
- I thought we have a truly increased color space compared to bt.709. Is it similar cheating as with those old anamorphic DVDs?
Its stored as BT.2020, 10-bit 4:2:0. The actually used colorspace could be smaller, and usually is in fact DCI-P3 for now. The HDR metadata tells you this.
The more important part about HDR however is that its stored using a different transfer function (ie. how to convert it to RGB), called PQ (Perceptual Quantizer, standardized as SMPTE ST 2084), and if you use the wrong one it looks washed out - for example, if a renderer doesn't support HDR, or the info has gone missing.

There is no "cheating", it just looks washed out when its being mis-interpreted by the renderer. You can't look at a YCbCr image without some sort of processing, and if you do that processing wrong, it won't make much sense.

Quote:
How does the static HDR10 metadata look like?
- is it stored in the beginning of the hevc video data?
- is it just couple of properties (bytes) about the mastering attributes and picture levels and "that's it"?
The HDR10 metadata is stored with every HEVC CVS (coded video sequence, what most people call "GOP"), so its repeated regularly in the bitstream. In a file format like MPEG-TS, as used on Blu-ray, this is important, because there are no global headers at the beginning of the file, or anything like that.

It doesn't contain a whole lot. It contains the color volume (ie. it specifies that the mastering was done in DCI-P3, for example), the white point, and the min/max luminance of the mastering display.

Quote:
2. Processing
Splitter and decoder pass data to renderer (MadVR) for further processing:
- that probably happens in the "limited washed out pictures" world
- then either passthrough or HDR processing happens (for SD displays)
-- what does bt.2020 -> DCI-P3 means in OSD?
As explained above, there is no "washed out picture"

The data is passed as untouched YCbCr to madVR, which then converts it to RGB. Either for pass-through, or conversion to SDR.
BT.2020 -> DCI-P3 means that its using a BT.2020 container with DCI-P3 color volume, as described above.
Old 15th November 2017, 13:28   #47168  |  Link
Test

Hello,

i bought a Nvidia 1050Ti for my 4k Beamer and madvr. But as i see, this card is not fast enough for this job. In this thread, the 1060 is recommended, but is this card really fast enough for high settings (also for 1080p and 720p upscaling to 4k)?

Thank you!
Test is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2017, 16:32   #47169  |  Link
Sunset1982

Quote:
Originally Posted by Test View Post
Hello,

i bought a Nvidia 1050Ti for my 4k Beamer and madvr. But as i see, this card is not fast enough for this job. In this thread, the 1060 is recommended, but is this card really fast enough for high settings (also for 1080p and 720p upscaling to 4k)?

Thank you!
I would go for a 1070. I tested a 1060 and a 1070 before I decided to stay with the 1070. You just have a bit more room for higher settings or image prozessing (like adaptive sharpen or so)
Old 15th November 2017, 16:34   #47170  |  Link
huhn

and how do you define high settings?
a 1050 ti can run madVR with advanced settings so it is working as it should.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2017, 17:28   #47171  |  Link
Ver Greeneyes

The main problem I ran into with 4k on my 1060 is that Smooth Motion takes a lot of juice when you apply it to (upscaled) 4k content. So make sure you turn off Smooth Motion unless you have a lot of untapped processing power.
Ver Greeneyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2017, 18:01   #47172  |  Link
Sunset1982

Quote:
and how do you define high settings?
a 1050 ti can run madVR with advanced settings so it is working as it should.
depends. If you want to have enough resources for 60fps material, different resolution files with high quality upscaling settings like NGU "high" or "very high" luma and high chroma settings like NUG AA with different rendering options like noise reduction, sharpening and s.o. I would go for 1070. I am completely happy with it. With the 1060
I sometimes reached the limit and /or the card was getting very hot. With the 1070 the card stays relaxed and silent even with high quality settings.
Old 15th November 2017, 18:22   #47173  |  Link
chros

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
Its stored as BT.2020, 10-bit 4:2:0. The actually used colorspace could be smaller, and usually is in fact DCI-P3 for now. The HDR metadata tells you this: BT.2020 -> DCI-P3 means that its using a BT.2020 container with DCI-P3 color volume, as described above.
The more important part about HDR however is that its stored using a different transfer function (ie. how to convert it to RGB), called PQ (Perceptual Quantizer, standardized as SMPTE ST 2084), and if you use the wrong one it looks washed out - for example, if a renderer doesn't support HDR, or the info has gone missing. There is no "cheating", it just looks washed out when its being mis-interpreted by the renderer. You can't look at a YCbCr image without some sort of processing...

The HDR10 metadata is stored with every HEVC CVS (coded video sequence, what most people call "GOP"), so its repeated regularly in the bitstream. In a file format like MPEG-TS, as used on Blu-ray, this is important, because there are no global headers at the beginning of the file, or anything like that.
It doesn't contain a whole lot. It contains the color volume (ie. it specifies that the mastering was done in DCI-P3, for example), the white point, and the min/max luminance of the mastering display.
Thanks for the basics, nev.
Now I'm curious about the displaying part.
Old 15th November 2017, 18:34   #47174  |  Link
x7007

Many things fixed with 388.31 , get it now. FSE should work now. powerdvd16 17 3D is fixed , it's not blinking black every second but there is no 3D effect. so it's not 100% fixed. Also when trying to watch 3D movie for some reason PowerDVD think it's HDR and set to 12bit , that's when using the Default Color in NVCP . if changing it to NVidia color and 8 bit RGB then it stays 8 bit which is the correct for 3D bluray.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post

The data is passed as untouched YCbCr to madVR, which then converts it to RGB. Either for pass-through, or conversion to SDR.
BT.2020 -> DCI-P3 means that its using a BT.2020 container with DCI-P3 color volume, as described above.
For LG OLED55C6 TV should I choose Colour Gamut Normal/Auto or Wide for HDR movies ? because the Calibrators are saying to use Normal/Auto .

DCI-3 is for Dolby Vision or what does it mean ?

BT.2020 means it's HDR ?

are they both different or the same ? How would I know if I need to use Wide or Normal/Auto with the HDR movies I watch ?

Last edited by x7007; 15th November 2017 at 19:01.
x7007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2017, 19:00   #47175  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by x7007 View Post
For LG OLED55C6 TV should I choose Colour Gamut Normal/Auto or Wide for HDR movies ? because the Calibrators are saying to use Normal/Auto .
depends on your display calbration target my screne is in native gamut with a 3D LUT
Quote:
DCI-3 is for Dolby Vision or what does it mean ?
it's a colorspace like BT 709 bt 601 or BT 2020.
Quote:
BT.2020 means it's HDR ?
no BT 2020 cna be used on SDR too but in general it is HDR
Quote:
are they both different or the same ? How would I know if I need to use Wide or Normal/Auto with the HDR movies I watch ?
this highly depends on your HDR settings and calibration setting can or mostly are different depending on the source.

how your TV deals with this well you have to figure that out by yourself. my guess is the gamut setting is ignore for HDR or different for HDR and SDR.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2017, 19:39   #47176  |  Link
Test

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset1982 View Post
depends. If you want to have enough resources for 60fps material, different resolution files with high quality upscaling settings like NGU "high" or "very high" luma and high chroma settings like NUG AA with different rendering options like noise reduction, sharpening and s.o. I would go for 1070. I am completely happy with it. With the 1060
I sometimes reached the limit and /or the card was getting very hot. With the 1070 the card stays relaxed and silent even with high quality settings.
This. I want to go f.e. NGU high with 720p and 1080p Content - also with 720p content with 50fps. Also the new setting "Noise Reduction" is not doable together with jink (chroma) + artifact removable settings. If i buy a new card, i want that all these options together should work smooth.
I´ve clocked my 1050Ti 230Mhz higher (card has no 6pin power plug) - so there is not more possible and the card is operating on the limit.

Will buy a 1070 i think. First i thought i´m waiting on Volta, but thats too long for me (no release date known).

Thank you very much guys - this helped a lot!

Last edited by Test; 15th November 2017 at 19:44.
Test is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2017, 19:54   #47177  |  Link
Razoola

Quote:
Originally Posted by x7007 View Post
Many things fixed with 388.31 , get it now. FSE should work now. powerdvd16 17 3D is fixed , it's not blinking black every second but there is no 3D effect. so it's not 100% fixed. Also when trying to watch 3D movie for some reason PowerDVD think it's HDR and set to 12bit , that's when using the Default Color in NVCP . if changing it to NVidia color and 8 bit RGB then it stays 8 bit which is the correct for 3D bluray.
Does this driver fix the issue with HDR not switching off after playback of a HDR movie?
Razoola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2017, 20:15   #47178  |  Link
mrmarioman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razoola View Post
Does this driver fix the issue with HDR not switching off after playback of a HDR movie?
Nope, just tried. It still turns on Windows' HDR and everyrhing looks washed out.
mrmarioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2017, 23:15   #47179  |  Link
nsnhd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Test View Post
This. I want to go f.e. NGU high with 720p and 1080p Content - also with 720p content with 50fps. Also the new setting "Noise Reduction" is not doable together with jink (chroma) + artifact removable settings. If i buy a new card, i want that all these options together should work smooth.
I´ve clocked my 1050Ti 230Mhz higher (card has no 6pin power plug) - so there is not more possible and the card is operating on the limit.

Will buy a 1070 i think. First i thought i´m waiting on Volta, but thats too long for me (no release date known).

Thank you very much guys - this helped a lot!
That's sad to hear since I also want to get a 1050ti and a 1070 is out of my price range. As luma should be given priority over chroma, if you let chroma at the minimum "bilinear", what the maximum luma upscaling the 1050ti can archive ? Is NGU sharp high possible with certain noise reduction settings by luma upscaling 720/1080p to 4k ?
nsnhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2017, 00:09   #47180  |  Link
ryrynz

1050Ti just ain't strong enough, just spend as much as you can afford, 1060 minimum.. or else trade offs galore.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling