Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 28th December 2018, 15:42   #54021  |  Link
actarusfleed

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
it can't do VP9 10 bit...
are you talkin'about 1070 ti?

Quote:
if you need copyback decoding make sure you have 16 lanes of PCIe 3.0 available.
With HEVC UHD files what is the benefit to use copyback respect D3D11?

And more to use it with Madvr .... What are the differences between GTX and RTX series?

thank you so much
actarusfleed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2018, 17:20   #54022  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by actarusfleed View Post
are you talkin'about 1070 ti?
yes only cards release after the 1060 based on there chip design can do it the 1070 ti is relative new on the market but is just a 1080 with disabled cuda cores.
so all RTX cards should be able to do it 1050 ti and slower and 1080 ti have the decoder too.
Quote:
With HEVC UHD files what is the benefit to use copyback respect D3D11?
copyback gives you the option to use some feature you can only use using a CPU like blackbar detection IVTC this is currently not possible with a native decoder.

Quote:
And more to use it with Madvr .... What are the differences between GTX and RTX series?
RTX cards have tensor cores which are created for AI "stuff" and accelerate them massively madshi may or may not create something like a scaler or so that will need them some day.

the RTX cards are made for ray tracing that didn't really take off for now by using these tensor cores and some ray tracing cores.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2018, 18:36   #54023  |  Link
madFloyd

My madVR is reporting "Limited Range (says upstream) when in fact my GPU, KODI SP, LAV, and MadVR are all set to full range. Is this normal for madVR (e.g. a bug etc)?
madFloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2018, 19:00   #54024  |  Link
huhn

no because the file is limited range as it should be this is just an information what the file is and nearly all files are encoded in limited range and has nothing todo with GPU/madVR or even lavfilter settings.

changing the setting in lavfilter to full range does nothing on it's own if you would read what it is saying you would notices but for some reasons guides or people tell other to set it to full range misleading them or like the creator of the program doesn't select a proper default setting for something like this...
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2018, 19:46   #54025  |  Link
madFloyd

Quote:
no because the file is limited range as it should be this is just an information what the file is and nearly all files are encoded in limited range and has nothing todo with GPU/madVR or even lavfilter settings.

changing the setting in lavfilter to full range does nothing on it's own if you would read what it is saying you would notices but for some reasons guides or people tell other to set it to full range misleading them or like the creator of the program doesn't select a proper default setting for something like this...
Thank you, that's very helpful to know!
madFloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2018, 21:54   #54026  |  Link
x7007

Somehow NV HDR now works properly 10 bit HDR with 417.35 .. i dunno

Using Potplayer x64 set to LavFilters 71.3 . D3D11 Automatic (native)
ALL 8 bit is unchecked on Video . RGB selected 0-255 , Random Dithering . using Windowed Full Screen and not FSE . When launching it starts on windowed mode 8 bit and when I click enter to go Windowed Full screen it goes to 10 bit.
I kept Set up digital Audio HDMI : LG TV and not Off.

Nvidia control panel Use Default Color Settings , Scaling Aspect Ratio and Override the scaling mode set by games and programs Checked .

MadVR Bit set to Auto

If anyone wants to try those settings and see if it also works for him.

I am not sure what makes it work, but it works.

Last edited by x7007; 28th December 2018 at 22:02.
x7007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2018, 22:51   #54027  |  Link
j82k

NV HDR with 417.35 works only if madVR is set to 10-bit or auto and it switches to 10-bit. Nvidia CP settings don't matter. NV HDR doesn't trigger with madVR set to 8-bit. I mentioned this before and find this really weird.
j82k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2018, 00:21   #54028  |  Link
danann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
Make an empty folder called "DontRenderAfterStop" in the madVR directory.

However it doesn't stop forever, so it may not work for your use case.
Yeah, I need something more like Don't Render After Pause.
Thanks for the reply though.

I wonder if there's a reason for madVR to continually render frames when no other renderer/player I tried does that while paused/stopped. It's odd.
danann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2018, 03:15   #54029  |  Link
Mano

Is it normal that when i use madvr with xy-VSFilter and select a subtitle in video the color of the movie changed?

Default no sub
https://imgur.com/oprrT9R

With english sub selected
https://imgur.com/SSo0l5f
Mano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2018, 10:40   #54030  |  Link
SirSwede

Three questions:

Can changing the Internet settings in the router, while madVR is playing, change the madVR- or picture settings in any way?

Can changing the name of the folder (K-Lite Codec Pack) where the madVR folder is placed, change the madVR- or picture settings in any way?

Can "NTFS Sparse Files Support" affect the file that is the program and in any way change the data to affect picture quality?

Last edited by SirSwede; 29th December 2018 at 11:43.
SirSwede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2018, 10:53   #54031  |  Link
albur

3D MVC with MPC-HC

Hi, i'm trying to watch ripped 3D MVC movies into mkv, it works fine in windowed mode but when i go fullscreen it goes really slow, i've tried to disable exclusive mode and most of the times it works fine but with exclusive mode it never works.

I have windows 10 with LAV filters and MPC HC with the last version of MadVR and my graphic card is a nvidia GTX 1060 6G

thanks

Last edited by albur; 29th December 2018 at 11:50.
albur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2018, 11:34   #54032  |  Link
actarusfleed

Quote:
yes only cards release after the 1060 based on there chip design can do it the 1070 ti is relative new on the market but is just a 1080 with disabled cuda cores.
Disabled cuda cores needed for internet VP9 10bit.
In my specific case where I only play UHD files taken from UHD discs and some demo clip@60hz I imagine that a 1070ti is equal to a 1080. Right?

Quote:
copyback gives you the option to use some feature you can only use using a CPU like blackbar detection IVTC this is currently not possible with a native decoder.
What is the benefit of blackbar detection enabled?

And more: If I understand well to have black bar dectection I need to set LAV filters to "DXVA copyback" ?

If I set "DXVA copyback" I will have my CPU performing the video flux decoding?

In this moment my htpc has an i7-2600k @ 3.40ghz on a Sabertooh P67 mobo (rev.1 if i remember well).
This mobo surely has PCI express 2.0.

I'm going to change my graphic card but not the rest of my actual HTPC.

My question is: How is it important, with a new graphic card, to have a mobo capable of PCI Express 3.0 ??

So ... If I understand well, with my actual configuration, if I set LAV filter to DXVAcopyback decoding I'll have my i7 CPU decoding the video stream.
If it's true I can test my cpu with HEVC UHD files@60fps.

If I still see a lot of drop frames I'll be sure that a new graphic card is needed and, also with a new graphic card, I'll have no possibility to use CPU decoding with blackbar detection because my CPU is not able to decode well HEVC files @60fps.

Is it all right? or I missing something?

Thank you so much
actarusfleed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2018, 14:10   #54033  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirSwede View Post
Three questions:

Can changing the Internet settings in the router, while madVR is playing, change the madVR- or picture settings in any way?

Can changing the name of the folder (K-Lite Codec Pack) where the madVR folder is placed, change the madVR- or picture settings in any way?

Can "NTFS Sparse Files Support" affect the file that is the program and in any way change the data to affect picture quality?
No to all of them. The digital data of madVR and the video remain the same.
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2018, 14:11   #54034  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
Originally Posted by albur View Post
Hi, i'm trying to watch ripped 3D MVC movies into mkv, it works fine in windowed mode but when i go fullscreen it goes really slow, i've tried to disable exclusive mode and most of the times it works fine but with exclusive mode it never works.

I have windows 10 with LAV filters and MPC HC with the last version of MadVR and my graphic card is a nvidia GTX 1060 6G

thanks
Post of a picture of the OSD (Ctrl + J) and post it here. What are your rendering times and is the GPU switching correctly to 1080p24?
Old 29th December 2018, 14:16   #54035  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
Originally Posted by actarusfleed View Post
Disabled cuda cores needed for internet VP9 10bit.
In my specific case where I only play UHD files taken from UHD discs and some demo clip@60hz I imagine that a 1070ti is equal to a 1080. Right?

What is the benefit of blackbar detection enabled?

And more: If I understand well to have black bar dectection I need to set LAV filters to "DXVA copyback" ?

If I set "DXVA copyback" I will have my CPU performing the video flux decoding?

In this moment my htpc has an i7-2600k @ 3.40ghz on a Sabertooh P67 mobo (rev.1 if i remember well).
This mobo surely has PCI express 2.0.

I'm going to change my graphic card but not the rest of my actual HTPC.

My question is: How is it important, with a new graphic card, to have a mobo capable of PCI Express 3.0 ??

So ... If I understand well, with my actual configuration, if I set LAV filter to DXVAcopyback decoding I'll have my i7 CPU decoding the video stream.
If it's true I can test my cpu with HEVC UHD files@60fps.

If I still see a lot of drop frames I'll be sure that a new graphic card is needed and, also with a new graphic card, I'll have no possibility to use CPU decoding with blackbar detection because my CPU is not able to decode well HEVC files @60fps.

Is it all right? or I missing something?

Thank you so much
The CPU doesn't do any decoding with DXVA2 copy-back. You might want black bar detection if you had a scope, 2.35:1 aspect ratio projector screen and needed to crop black bars and zoom the image with madVR's zoom control. If don't need to crop black bars, this wouldn't be necessary.

PCIe 2.0 might only be an issue if you needed to use DXVA2 copy-back decoding with 4K content. Outside of that, the performance difference could be negligible to non-existent compared to PCIe 3.0. PCIe 2.0 x16 still provides more than enough bandwidth for new GPUs. But I would still buy a new motherboard if I was building a new PC.
Old 29th December 2018, 14:29   #54036  |  Link
JackBauer

Full screen exclusive no longer working... D3D11 only 8-bit now

I had FSE working, with D3D11 going to 10-bit.

Somehow in my figuring out HDR to SDR mapping (still lost there, but that's another problem)... I have managed to no longer get D3D11 to 10-bit and full screen exclusive mode working.

I have it enabled in MadVR.

I can post the whole log somewhere, but maybe someone has some ideas of what's going on without that?

Thank you

Edit: I have it working with 10-bit D3D11 in MPC-HC, but still going 8-bit "windowed" in full screen in Zoom Player. Can't figure out why it worked before and it's gone sideways now.

Edit 2: Fixed; documenting for others:

Update: Nvidia hotfix released yesterday (two weeks newer than WHQL released earlier on 12/12)... Fixes this. It also addressed an issue where my monitor wouldn't enter sleep mode with my DP connection. https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answ...tail/a_id/4758

Code:
00000676.119 Render   CDirect3D::IsMediaPlayerFullscreen(self: 1753F1C8, myRect: 0, 0, 3840, 2160; monitorRect: 0, 0, 3840, 2160) -> yes
00000676.374 Render   D3D11 fullscreen windowed (8 bit)
00000676.376 Render   covered by some windows
00000676.378 Render   madVR window [madVR] {0,0,3840,2160}

...  and then near the very bottom of the log...

00013072.428 Creator  CVideoRenderer::DisableExclusiveMode(disable: +);
00013072.434 Creator  CVideoRenderer::DisableExclusiveMode() -> +
00013072.438 Creator  CVideoRenderer destructor;

Last edited by JackBauer; 30th December 2018 at 01:42.
JackBauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2018, 01:48   #54037  |  Link
Rectal Prolapse

Quote:
Originally Posted by chros View Post
What exact values do you have in madVR for display resolutions switching?
My display mode string:

1080p47, 1080p24, 1080p59, 1080p60, 1080p50

I had to remove 1080p24 to get 23.976 hz content to use the 47.952 hz resolution I made.
Rectal Prolapse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2018, 02:23   #54038  |  Link
ntropy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntropy View Post
What madVR settings should be used to effectively utilize the 500 nits of brightness on the 2017 iMac's display when playing HDR content? And is video on the iMac 10bit or 8bit?

https://www.apple.com/ca/imac/specs/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
I suggest 8bit and “this display is already calibrated” to DCI-P3.
Is there a way to get the blacks more consistent on the iMac screen with madVR, or is that just content issues? There's a spectrum from milky (greyish) blacks to rich blacks that I see in HDR content, with Goodfellas on the extreme milky end, and 2001: a space odyssey having really rich dark blacks in space at the other end. Other content with milky-ish blacks is Westworld S2 and The Last Jedi. I thought it was just a star-field problem when I saw it in The Last Jedi, but 2001: a space odyssey proved that wrong with it's super black space around the stars. Is there a way to measure black levels in the .m2ts streams so I can say 2001 is x and Jedi is y and that's why Jedi looks milky-er?
Old 30th December 2018, 18:31   #54039  |  Link
chros

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rectal Prolapse View Post
My display mode string:

1080p47, 1080p24, 1080p59, 1080p60, 1080p50

I had to remove 1080p24 to get 23.976 hz content to use the 47.952 hz resolution I made.
What's the initial refresh rate of the display when you turn it on? If 47p then try to set it to something different, e. g. 60Hz, before you start playing content. That is how my custom 23p mode works, that I wrote about a week ago, I also have to manually switch to a different mode. I wonder if it solves the problem for you as well.
Old 30th December 2018, 19:46   #54040  |  Link
SirSwede

Two questions:

Running madVR on a desktop PC, as a HTPC, as the only thing you are running on that PC (along with MPC-HC, with LAV Filters (cuvid) and ReClock, is any other hardware than the GPU affecting how the picture is displayed and the quality of it?

If you use the same TV with the same picture settings, the same madVR, MPC-HC and LAV filter settings, the same HDMI-cable and the same PC, but change the graphics card from a GT630 GGDR5 to a GT740 GDDR5 (using the same drivers if that is possible), how similar a picture, would you be able to produce on your TV?

SirSwede is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling