Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 11th April 2018, 16:01   #50201  |  Link
kalston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warner306 View Post
If you havenít already, enabling the trade quality for performance setting related to subtitles will give you a small performance boost.
Yeah, that's already done. In fact, I ticked a lot of those options on my laptop

It is not my primary media playback device by any means and I'm not sure how many people are affected by this anyway. I've never bothered to report it before for that reason.
kalston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2018, 16:29   #50202  |  Link
oldpainlesskodi

On Windows 10 - I finely managed to fix my incorrect and overblown tone mapping for HDR and SDR material. I have been reading up on the whole SRBG forced system wide ICC debacle. So, I disabled my device in the Colour Management settings, and disabled WindowsColorSystem from starting at boot.

Taken from the Nvidia forum on this issue (it may also apply to AMD users) -

"Open Start Menu and type in "Task Scheduler" Select and open "Task Scheduler"
In the Task Schedule window navigate to (Task Schedular Library > Microsoft > Windows > WindowsColorSystem)
In the task list locate "Calibration Loader" right click this task, and select disable

Notes:
The problem originates from the way Windows handles its own color profile settings on user log in. Windows task is a bit slow when doing this so it ends up reverting any color profiles setup through other applications. The Nvidia color profile task seems to run faster than the Windows color calibration so it ends up reverting the changes. I imagine this could fix other issues with other programs that manage color profiles as well."

Once I did this and rebooted, all issue resolved and its like night and day, in more ways than one.

May help others.

K

Last edited by oldpainlesskodi; 11th April 2018 at 17:14.
oldpainlesskodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2018, 18:38   #50203  |  Link
mclingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpainlesskodi View Post
On Windows 10 - I finely managed to fix my incorrect and overblown tone mapping for HDR and SDR material. I have been reading up on the whole SRBG forced system wide ICC debacle. So, I disabled my device in the Colour Management settings, and disabled WindowsColorSystem from starting at boot.

Taken from the Nvidia forum on this issue (it may also apply to AMD users) -

"Open Start Menu and type in "Task Scheduler" Select and open "Task Scheduler"
In the Task Schedule window navigate to (Task Schedular Library > Microsoft > Windows > WindowsColorSystem)
In the task list locate "Calibration Loader" right click this task, and select disable

Notes:
The problem originates from the way Windows handles its own color profile settings on user log in. Windows task is a bit slow when doing this so it ends up reverting any color profiles setup through other applications. The Nvidia color profile task seems to run faster than the Windows color calibration so it ends up reverting the changes. I imagine this could fix other issues with other programs that manage color profiles as well."

Once I did this and rebooted, all issue resolved and its like night and day, in more ways than one.

May help others.

K
interesting, i'm going to try this to see if it resolves my overblown reds on my RX card with MADVR and D3D11, I can confirm the same task is there on my AMD system
mclingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2018, 19:22   #50204  |  Link
mrmojo666

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclingo View Post
interesting, i'm going to try this to see if it resolves my overblown reds on my RX card with MADVR and D3D11, I can confirm the same task is there on my AMD system
I was thinking the same , i have similar problem with FSE + DX11 and an AMD RX460
mrmojo666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2018, 19:58   #50205  |  Link
stefanelli73

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post

If the problem does not occur with MPC-BE + XySubFilter, which increase in render times do you get in MPC-BE? None at all? Or very very small?
No problem does not occur with MPC-BE + XySubFilter and render times they are the same as jriver, without increasing, but in this case the image doesn't slow

Last edited by stefanelli73; 11th April 2018 at 20:07.
stefanelli73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2018, 21:56   #50206  |  Link
mclingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmojo666 View Post
I was thinking the same , i have similar problem with FSE + DX11 and an AMD RX460
no joy for me, didnt work i'm afraid, I have the same setup as you know, I also moved to an RX460.

Just had to move back to 18.2.2 all all 18.3x drivers cause my PC to hang, nearly all > 16.8.2 drivers had the same issue for me, I was stuck on 16.8.1 for a while.

I tried to setup profiles to deal with turning D3D11 off and on in MADVR, worked perfectly in MPC-BE but profiles for those settings dont wonk in my main player KODI DS. I decided to go back to setting up the calibration as DCI-P3 in MADVR so I dont have to faff about turning D3D11 off and on. These are all driver issues apparently, even though I havent yet found one that works fixes this so we must have had this issue for a long time now.
Old 11th April 2018, 23:19   #50207  |  Link
mrmojo666

Quote:
no joy for me, didnt work i'm afraid, I have the same setup as you know, I also moved to an RX460.

Just had to move back to 18.2.2 all all 18.3x drivers cause my PC to hang, nearly all > 16.8.2 drivers had the same issue for me, I was stuck on 16.8.1 for a while.

I tried to setup profiles to deal with turning D3D11 off and on in MADVR, worked perfectly in MPC-BE but profiles for those settings dont wonk in my main player KODI DS. I decided to go back to setting up the calibration as DCI-P3 in MADVR so I dont have to faff about turning D3D11 off and on. These are all driver issues apparently, even though I havent yet found one that works fixes this so we must have had this issue for a long time now.
my experience is slightly different, wth the latest 18.3.4 i dint' have anymore hungs or other ghaphics glitches that i had with all the rest of 18.3.x. Maybe my oversaturated color with dx11 and FSE is different from your, but seems it worked with the workaround proposed. Also i use differet player, i'm on Mediaportal. I 'll le t you know in case it was just a palcebo effect
Old 12th April 2018, 11:31   #50208  |  Link
mclingo

Quote:
my experience is slightly different, wth the latest 18.3.4 i dint' have anymore hungs or other ghaphics glitches that i had with all the rest of 18.3.x. Maybe my oversaturated color with dx11 and FSE is different from your, but seems it worked with the workaround proposed. Also i use differet player, i'm on Mediaportal. I 'll le t you know in case it was just a palcebo effect
it could be the same issue simply manifesting itself differently due to our slightly different setups / displays.

Made absolutely no difference on mine though, the difference is very obvious on mine though, my reds are very overblown though, its hard to get an image of this with me mobile as it tends to correct for issues like this so images look nowhere near as bad.

I'm posting this as a comparison shot, this isnt how it looks in person, the correct image looks at lot more natural and the red image is a lot more red.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/esxrcwdcv3...mage1.jpg?dl=0
Old 12th April 2018, 13:39   #50209  |  Link
mrmojo666

Quote:
it could be the same issue simply manifesting itself differently due to our slightly different setups / displays.

Made absolutely no difference on mine though, the difference is very obvious on mine though, my reds are very overblown though, its hard to get an image of this with me mobile as it tends to correct for issues like this so images look nowhere near as bad.

I'm posting this as a comparison shot, this isnt how it looks in person, the correct image looks at lot more natural and the red image is a lot more red.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/esxrcwdcv3...mage1.jpg?dl=0
Seems the same of my problem at this point icm not sure that it was the workaround, maybe the 18.3.4, did you have tried?
Old 12th April 2018, 17:04   #50210  |  Link
mclingo

Quote:
Seems the same of my problem at this point icm not sure that it was the workaround, maybe the 18.3.4, did you have tried?
Hi, yeah I tried latest driver before I switched back to 18.2.2 so resolve me pc freezing issues.

I'm going to wait until the next driver release and test it again. Its a bit odd we are the only two reporting this or is it a case that there are still very few users with these variables - AMD RX card + WINDOWS 10 creative + DIRECT3D11 +HDR compatible 4K TV.
Old 12th April 2018, 21:57   #50211  |  Link
noee

Quote:
....or is it a case that there are still very few users with these variables - AMD RX card + WINDOWS 10 creative + DIRECT3D11 +HDR compatible 4K TV.
So, I don't see that issue, but I'm:
RX560 + Win7Ult + D3D11 + HDR 4K TV

Don't have much beyond a few 4K HDR samples.
Old 13th April 2018, 00:03   #50212  |  Link
mclingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by noee View Post
So, I don't see that issue, but I'm:
RX560 + Win7Ult + D3D11 + HDR 4K TV

Don't have much beyond a few 4K HDR samples.
thanks for your input, it doesnt surprise me its on an issue win 7, if I wasnt a 3d fan i would have stayed with win7 myself but you need win8 minimum for 3d MVC

calibrating madvr for dci-p3 is a good enough workaround for now though.

thanks again.
Old 13th April 2018, 00:57   #50213  |  Link
Warner306

What is it that madVR is doing that is correcting your issue? Are you upconverting BT.709 content to DCI-P3? That setting only applies to SDR content. Are you sure there isn't an issue with the way you have calibrated your display. Is your SDR gamut set to "Native" or "Wide" or "Extended" rather than "Auto" or "BT.709"?
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2018, 12:13   #50214  |  Link
mclingo

Quote:
What is it that madVR is doing that is correcting your issue? Are you upconverting BT.709 content to DCI-P3? That setting only applies to SDR content. Are you sure there isn't an issue with the way you have calibrated your display. Is your SDR gamut set to "Native" or "Wide" or "Extended" rather than "Auto" or "BT.709"?
Hi, thanks for your interest in this matter, I know its not an issue with my TV setup as this only happens in MADVR, no issues at all using other renderers, HDR material is also fine so yes its just an issue with SDR material.

The workaround is to enable calibration in MADVR and calibrate to DCI-P3 with pure power curve 2.20.

I also have the issue on my other 4k TV, a 2017 Smasung MU7000 so I know its defo an issue with the PC itself.

The issue also disappears when I disable DIRECT3d11 so I think its something to do with how MADVR/DIRECT3D is communicating with the AMD driver.
Old 13th April 2018, 13:07   #50215  |  Link
mrmojo666

Quote:
Hi, yeah I tried latest driver before I switched back to 18.2.2 so resolve me pc freezing issues.

I'm going to wait until the next driver release and test it again. Its a bit odd we are the only two reporting this or is it a case that there are still very few users with these variables - AMD RX card + WINDOWS 10 creative + DIRECT3D11 +HDR compatible 4K TV.
think so
Old 13th April 2018, 17:29   #50216  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
The issue also disappears when I disable DIRECT3d11 so I think its something to do with how MADVR/DIRECT3D is communicating with the AMD driver.
What is the gamut set to on your display? Try setting it to "Auto" and then disabling calibration controls in madVR. Does it get any better?

Changing madVR to DCI-P3 suggests your TV is not using proper color management of BT.709 sources, which can result in oversaturated colors if the TV is set to display a wider gamut. Only the gamut is relevant in madVR; the gamma setting is ignored unless gamma processing is used. You are telling madVR to upconvert BT.709 to DCI-P3 and this is fixing your problem.
Old 13th April 2018, 18:06   #50217  |  Link
mrmojo666

Quote:
What is the gamut set to on your display? Try setting it to "Auto" and then disabling calibration controls in madVR. Does it get any better?

Changing madVR to DCI-P3 suggests your TV is not using proper color management of BT.709 sources, which can result in oversaturated colors if the TV is set to display a wider gamut. Only the gamut is relevant in madVR; the gamma setting is ignored unless gamma processing is used. You are telling madVR to upconvert BT.709 to DCI-P3 and this is fixing your problem.
uhmmm.. in my case in windowed mode was not happening...... so how could come that is tv the problem ?
Old 13th April 2018, 18:32   #50218  |  Link
mclingo

confident its not the TV, it happens on both my TV's, if it were the TV it should also happen with a none MADVR renderer and they are all fine, dont think I have a gamut setting on my TV either, I have normal and wide gamut but i've tried both, its currently not on wide.
Old 13th April 2018, 18:33   #50219  |  Link
huhn

https://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/hd...tent_type.aspx

this can be the issue and yes this can be different just from switching windowed to full screen.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2018, 19:18   #50220  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
confident its not the TV, it happens on both my TV's, if it were the TV it should also happen with a none MADVR renderer and they are all fine, dont think I have a gamut setting on my TV either, I have normal and wide gamut but i've tried both, its currently not on wide.
Normal is probably BT.709, so you shouldn't get the right colors with DCI-P3. The display must be switching its color management in some way that is screwing up the colors. It seems unlikely madVR is sending the wrong colors to the display. It is doing what you are telling it to. The conversion from Y'CbCr to RGB in any gamut is a standard formula. And I think you are outputting RGB to the display, so the GPU is not changing the output. Something must be going wrong when it reaches the display or the GPU driver is sending the wrong gamut.

The HDMI 1.4 "Content Type" feature could maybe be triggering different color management in the display. Again, the color matrixing math done by madVR wouldn't likely be at fault. I don't think it is that complicated to get proper RGB values from Y'CbCr. Your display is showing incorrect RGB values or it is using the wrong gamut.

Make sure your GPU is set to RGB Full and not Y'CbCr. That conversion done by the GPU could cause your problem if it is not handled correctly. As stated, madVR is known for high-quality Y'CbCr to RGB conversion. It is the least likely part of the chain to screw this up.

Last edited by Warner306; 13th April 2018 at 19:58.

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling