Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Audio encoding

Closed Thread

Old 1st December 2007, 16:26   #1801  |  Link
idbirch2

Can anyone offer any tips on converting PCM? I've always managed to avoid it so far but I now have a BluRay (Open Season) where the only English audio is lossless PCM.

eac3to accepts the .pcm input and completes the conversion but the resulting ac3 file has a really loud buzzing noise. I've tried forcing both Nero and Sonic filters with no change. Here's the eac3to output:

Code:
H:\>"C:\Program Files\Audio\eAC3to\eac3to.exe" "H:\os.pcm"  "H:\os.ac3"
This might be a RAW/PCM file. Trying to figure out the details.
This will probably take a while. Please be patient...
The RAW/PCM file seems to be big endian.
The RAW/PCM file seems to have a bitdepth of 16 bits.
The RAW/PCM file seems to have 6 channels.
RAW/PCM, 5.1 channels, 0:03:00, 16 bits, 48khz
This is probably a Blu-ray PCM track. Will remap channels accordingly.
Reading RAW/PCM...
Swapping endian...
Remapping channels...
Encoding AC3...
Creating/writing file "H:\os.ac3"...
The short duration is due to the movie being split over 3 .m2ts files, this example is the first 2 joined together.
Old 1st December 2007, 18:25   #1802  |  Link
Thunderbolt8

why dont you convert to flac?
Old 1st December 2007, 18:40   #1803  |  Link
idbirch2

Erm, because I don't want to? Back to the problem...
Old 1st December 2007, 19:12   #1804  |  Link
Thunderbolt8

well you didnt mention that, you only spoke of pcm conversion in general. and afaik conversion to flac doesnt cause these problems (at least not for me yet) thats why I mentioned it.

I wanted to convert the DTS-HD hi-res track from basinc instinct blu-ray to flac, but im not sure if everything went ok. as advertised the track is supposed to be 5.1, but eac3to said something of 7 channels and made 6.1 out of it or something like that.

heres a 10mb sample: http://www.sendspace.com/file/132bk5

the original track size (24-bit) is: 2.72 GB, the flac size is 3.75 GB

Last edited by Thunderbolt8; 1st December 2007 at 20:41.
Old 2nd December 2007, 12:24   #1805  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon4 View Post
Maybe it would be a good idea to put a warning in the program itself that almost no programs will be able to read a 4+gb WAV file...?
Added.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon4 View Post
Ahh -- to the documentation-editor with you then!
Added "WAVs" info to the eac3to help output.
Old 2nd December 2007, 12:25   #1806  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by menlvd View Post
how can it work? using surcode 1.0.29

Code:
Surcode sais/asks: "At least one valid source file must be specified to encode."
Pressing the Surcode "Encode" button didn't seem to work...
Closing Surcode...
Fixed in v2.08.
Old 2nd December 2007, 12:31   #1807  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shambles View Post
any comment on this? maybe you could have bit depth checking for pcm tracks also..
I've checked Curse of the Black Pearl. Most of the track is really only 16bit. However, there are some very few parts of the track which contain more than 24bit. E.g. the first 700ms of the track are 24bit. Then there is half an hour of only 16bit. Then suddenly there are some samples with more than 24bit again. Fortunately FLAC is a very effective compressor. Most of the track is only 16bit, so the FLAC file ends up with a 16bit comparable file size.

Interestingly, on my German Curse of the Black Pearl the English PCM track is only 16bit! I've compared the two tracks. The 16bit track from my German disc was downconverted from the 24bit track by using some kind of dithering, maybe even noise shaping. Normally this is a good method to do the downconversion to 16bit. But since 99% of the track were only 16bit to begin with, the dithering harms more than it helps. I've compared the FLAC files of the 2 tracks. And actually the 24bit FLAC file from the English 24bit PCM track is *smaller* by about 10% compared to the 16bit FLAC file from the English 16bt PCM track from my German disc. Very strange. Seemingly the dithering noise makes compression more difficult.

Version v2.08 now has an (undocumented) new switch "-check16bit" with which you can force eac3to to check whether a 24bit decoded datastream only contains 16bit of real information. You can use it on PCM and WAV input tracks.
Old 2nd December 2007, 12:32   #1808  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nautilus7 View Post
The dts encoding (with surcode) doesn't work. I 've used both 1.0.21 and 1.0.29 but i get the same error message
Conversion with 1.0.21 should still work, but only if you don't have 1.0.29 installed yet. eac3to v2.08 should also work with 1.0.29 now.
Old 2nd December 2007, 12:36   #1809  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by idbirch2 View Post
Can anyone offer any tips on converting PCM? I've always managed to avoid it so far but I now have a BluRay (Open Season) where the only English audio is lossless PCM.

eac3to accepts the .pcm input and completes the conversion but the resulting ac3 file has a really loud buzzing noise. I've tried forcing both Nero and Sonic filters with no change. Here's the eac3to output:

Code:
H:\>"C:\Program Files\Audio\eAC3to\eac3to.exe" "H:\os.pcm"  "H:\os.ac3"
This might be a RAW/PCM file. Trying to figure out the details.
This will probably take a while. Please be patient...
The RAW/PCM file seems to be big endian.
The RAW/PCM file seems to have a bitdepth of 16 bits.
The RAW/PCM file seems to have 6 channels.
RAW/PCM, 5.1 channels, 0:03:00, 16 bits, 48khz
This is probably a Blu-ray PCM track. Will remap channels accordingly.
Reading RAW/PCM...
Swapping endian...
Remapping channels...
Encoding AC3...
Creating/writing file "H:\os.ac3"...
The short duration is due to the movie being split over 3 .m2ts files, this example is the first 2 joined together.
eac3to's output looks alright to me. Which tool did you use to demux the audio? Does conversion work if you convert the 3 m2ts PCM files separately to AC3? It would help if you could upload a little sample of the PCM file. Of course that will help only if the noise problem can be reproduced with that sample.

You might also want to test WAV or FLAC writing instead of AC3. I'm not trying to convince you not to use AC3. But trying WAV or FLAC would belp us finding out where the problem is located. If the AC3 file is noisy but the WAV and FLAC files sound correct then the problem occurs during AC3 encoding. If the WAV and FLAC files have the same noise as the AC3 encoding, then the problem must be in the reading or interpretation of the PCM data.
Old 2nd December 2007, 12:38   #1810  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbolt8 View Post
I wanted to convert the DTS-HD hi-res track from basinc instinct blu-ray to flac, but im not sure if everything went ok. as advertised the track is supposed to be 5.1, but eac3to said something of 7 channels and made 6.1 out of it or something like that.

heres a 10mb sample: http://www.sendspace.com/file/132bk5

the original track size (24-bit) is: 2.72 GB, the flac size is 3.75 GB
This really seems to be a 6.1 DTS-HD High Resolution track. I'm not sure, maybe the back surround channel is all empty? In the sample you sent me the back surround channel seems to be idle, but the sample is very short. So it's hard to say for me. Anyway, eac3to definitely behaves correctly. The DTS-HD file is flagged as 6.1 and decodes as such.
Old 2nd December 2007, 13:01   #1811  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreckSoft View Post
Unfortunately the downconvert option doesn't seem to work properly. I tried to convert a PCM Track (5.1 24bit) to FLAC (20bit - 16 doesn't work either).
[QUOTE=DreckSoft;1071257]
Code:
eac3to.exe in.pcm out_20.pcm -down20
Why are you doing "in.pcm out_20.pcm"? Didn't you just say you wanted to convert to FLAC?

Quote:
Btw: Which compression level do you use when encoding flac? I assume it's 5 but I would prefer 8. Could you offer a command line switch for this?
I'm using strongest compression (8). Does anybody want lighter compression? Don't see a need for that. But if there are enough voices who want lighter compression, I might add a switch.

Quote:
It's strange that
Swapping endian...
Remapping channels...
seems to be done twice.
That's correct. Every input "module" converts the raw audio data to little endian and the default WAV channel order. Since you chose "PCM" as output format, eac3to has to convert endian and reswap channels for output again.
Old 2nd December 2007, 13:28   #1812  |  Link
DreckSoft

[QUOTE=madshi;1071813]
Quote:
Code:
eac3to.exe in.pcm out_20.pcm -down20
Why are you doing "in.pcm out_20.pcm"? Didn't you just say you wanted to convert to FLAC?
I changed the filenames and made a typo.

But the problem also exists when doing PCM => PCM.
Old 2nd December 2007, 13:38   #1813  |  Link
Penecho

Hi, i have laso a problem with my audio file. My Source file is a 5.1 DTSHD Track from a BluRay Disc.

xxxxxxxxxx\eac3to.exe" "file.dtshd" "file.ac3" -640
DTS Master Audio, 5.1 channels, 24 bits, 48khz
Decoding with DirectShow (Sonic Audio Decoder)...
DirectShow reports 5.1 channels, 24 bits, 48khz
Encoding AC3...
Creating/writing file "file.ac3"...

than he creates a 163kb *.ac3 big file and nothing else happens ( I waited about 1 hour, but filesize did not change)

I am using the latest version of eac3to

Cu
Old 2nd December 2007, 13:49   #1814  |  Link
nautilus7

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Conversion with 1.0.21 should still work, but only if you don't have 1.0.29 installed yet. eac3to v2.08 should also work with 1.0.29 now.
No it didn't that's why i installed 1.0.29, but no luck either. I am waiting for 2.08.
Old 2nd December 2007, 13:57   #1815  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furiousflea View Post
Hi madshi, sorry I didn't let you know if it was working with AC3 encoding. It doesn't, I get exactly the same results with that (progress bar stops half way through)....hmmm thanks for any help
Can't reproduce any problems with DTS-HD decoding here. I've just today converted a Blu-Ray 24bit DTS-HD Master Audio track (Eragon) and a HD DVD 16bit DTS-HD Master Audio track (Total Recall) to FLAC without any problems.

I can only guess that your DTS-HD file is faulty. Which movies does it come from? With which tool did you extract it?
Old 2nd December 2007, 13:58   #1816  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penecho View Post
Hi, i have laso a problem with my audio file. My Source file is a 5.1 DTSHD Track from a BluRay Disc.

xxxxxxxxxx\eac3to.exe" "file.dtshd" "file.ac3" -640
DTS Master Audio, 5.1 channels, 24 bits, 48khz
Decoding with DirectShow (Sonic Audio Decoder)...
DirectShow reports 5.1 channels, 24 bits, 48khz
Encoding AC3...
Creating/writing file "file.ac3"...

than he creates a 163kb *.ac3 big file and nothing else happens ( I waited about 1 hour, but filesize did not change)
Hmmmm... Same as with Furiousflea's problem: I can't reproduce the problem here. Probably your DTS-HD file is faulty. Which movie does it come from? With which tool did you extract it?
Old 2nd December 2007, 14:03   #1817  |  Link
Penecho

Live free or Die Hard, demuxed with TSremux

Cu
Old 2nd December 2007, 14:07   #1818  |  Link
DreckSoft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penecho View Post
Live free or Die Hard, demuxed with TSremux

Cu
That movie has BD+ protection, so the content should be still encrypted. Try to play the file (or the core), it shouldn't work either.
Old 2nd December 2007, 14:15   #1819  |  Link
Penecho

No that works, i also demuxed the other audio tracks and used eac3to to make *.ac3 files.

Cu
Old 2nd December 2007, 14:39   #1820  |  Link
nautilus7

Live free or die hard is BD+, that's true. No encoding is possible, yet.
Closed Thread

Tags
eac3to