Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Audio encoding

Closed Thread

Old 29th November 2008, 02:07   #7181  |  Link
Momber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momber View Post
I will treat it with pcm2tsmu as 24 bit... let's see how that works...
It worked! Which is surprising, because usually if you feed 16 bit PCM into pcm2tsmu without the -i 16 option the result gets garbled. It didn't in this case however, which would indicate the lpcm track out of eac3to was true 24 bit after all. At least that's how I make sense of it...

Greets
S.
Old 29th November 2008, 02:50   #7182  |  Link
Thunderbolt8

madshi, could you please add a switch that just demuxes audio stream(s) in their state as they originally are (e.g. without applying any kind of delay and dialnorm removal etc.)? im hinting at those tv caps with corrupted ac3 (or dts) audio frames. in that case I always have to switch to xport to demux the track and then process it with delaycut. since this step cannot be avoided anyway, why not let eac3to demux them, 1 less program to use in between. there could be a message then like "just demuxing track without applying any delay or processing dialnorm etc." so that the user knows this stuff is still applied to the track and he then can get rid of it/fix it at a later time (e.g. after delaycut) if he likes to.

it just doenst make sense to go eac3to -> xport -> delaycut, when it could be eac3to -> eac3to -> delaycut. perhaps it would make sense to add a kind of -autoaudiodemux switch which then, in case that audio problems are detected and eac3to would have to abort, eac3to would directly start with the same command line again (or the audio track only then if it saves time and theres no thing as gaps), but this time then just as described as pure demuxing without any processing of that track.
Old 29th November 2008, 04:59   #7183  |  Link
quantum

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
..If the target container is MKV, there's no reason not to use eac3to for VC-1 muxing. Actually eac3to will give you optimal results. You can't get any better VC-1 MKV than those created by eac3to, as far as I'm aware.

Muxing to TS is another topic. It might be true that letting eac3to demux to a raw video stream is preferable if you want to create a TS with tsMuxeR. But if that's the case, it's caused by a bug in tsMuxeR and not by eac3to.
Is there any reason not to demux to raw video? I've found .TS works better on my Networked Media Tank so I've been going that way. I've been demuxing my Blu-rays and HD-DVDs to raw video and audio using eac3to, then remuxing with tsMuxer. So far I haven't visually noticed any issues. Am I losing timecodes this way?
Old 29th November 2008, 05:38   #7184  |  Link
Momber

Quote:
I've checked The Descent and it's stored as 7.1, but BL and BR are identical and the case also sais 6.1. But still it's stored as 7.1.
I'm working on The Descent right now and eac3to gives me only 5.1 when demuxing to lpcm. I've also tried the -8 option but the output was the same: 5.1.
What am I doing wrong here?

TIA
S.
Old 29th November 2008, 11:00   #7185  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
It worked! Which is surprising, because usually if you feed 16 bit PCM into pcm2tsmu without the -i 16 option the result gets garbled. It didn't in this case however, which would indicate the lpcm track out of eac3to was true 24 bit after all. At least that's how I make sense of it...
Well, if eac3to reports 16bit in its bitdepth statistics, that's just saying how many bits are filled with actual information. The bitdepth analyzation statistic does not say in which bitdepth the data is packaged. You can have 16 actual bits in a 24bit transport, or 20 actual bits in a 24bit transport, or 16 actual bits in a 32bit transport. That's all possible. A TrueHD track is usually something between 16-24 actual bits, but it's always a 24bit transport. eac3to does change the transport from 24bit to 16bit (by stripping the zero bytes) if the whole TrueHD track is only 16bit. So in such cases you have to use "-i 16" for pcm2tsmu. But for all other TrueHD tracks the transport is left at 24bit.

Or in other words: The pcm2tsmu switches must be set to the transport bitdepth and not to the number of bits which are non-zero inside of the transport. pcm2tsmu doesn't care how many bits are zero or non-zero.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbolt8 View Post
madshi, could you please add a switch that just demuxes audio stream(s) in their state as they originally are
Igoring or working around errors has been requested a thousand times already and it's on my to do list - just like a dozen of other important things...

Quote:
Originally Posted by quantum View Post
Is there any reason not to demux to raw video?
Depends on your final target. If you want to end up with an MKV then it's best to let eac3to create that MKV. If you want to end up with a TS, then you should do whatever works best with tsMuxeR. If tsMuxeR handles raw video streams better than MKVs then I don't see any problems using raw video streams. You do lose the timestamps created by eac3to in that case, but that's not really a problem - unless there are gaps/overlaps in the video track, which is extremely rare...

Quote:
I'm working on The Descent right now and eac3to gives me only 5.1 when demuxing to lpcm. I've also tried the -8 option but the output was the same: 5.1.
What am I doing wrong here?
My English The Descent PCM track is 7.1 (reported as 6.1 on the back cover). Maybe you have a different version of The Descent? Does eac3to report 5.1 or 7.1 in the track listing?
Old 29th November 2008, 11:04   #7186  |  Link
Momber

Quote:
My English The Descent PCM track is 7.1 (reported as 6.1 on the back cover). Maybe you have a different version of The Descent? Does eac3to report 5.1 or 7.1 in the track listing?
eac3to reports 7.1 and so does every other tool known to man
The demuxed track is however only 5.1 (which also correlates with its size).
Old 29th November 2008, 11:11   #7187  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
eac3to reports 7.1 and so does every other tool known to man
The demuxed track is however only 5.1 (which also correlates with its size).
Can I have a small sample, please? 20MB should do - but please double check whether the problem also occurs with the sample. Thanks!
Old 29th November 2008, 20:24   #7188  |  Link
Jeff Flowerday

I've got some 6.1 DTS-ES and DTS Hi Res that I want to convert into flac. Is there anyway to tell it to create 7.1 flac by doubling that back channel?

Not sure if madflac isn't liking the resultant flac from eac3to or the resultant PCM from madflac isn't being liked by the audio renderer. Either way I'm getting no sound and graphedit won't render the mkv.

Last edited by Jeff Flowerday; 29th November 2008 at 20:27.
Old 29th November 2008, 22:07   #7189  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Flowerday View Post
I've got some 6.1 DTS-ES and DTS Hi Res that I want to convert into flac. Is there anyway to tell it to create 7.1 flac by doubling that back channel?

Not sure if madflac isn't liking the resultant flac from eac3to or the resultant PCM from madflac isn't being liked by the audio renderer. Either way I'm getting no sound and graphedit won't render the mkv.
You can use the "-double7" option. Or maybe you can also use the ffdshow raw audio processor to do a similar thing at runtime? Not sure...
Old 30th November 2008, 03:29   #7190  |  Link
Snowknight26

When running a DTS track through eac3to just to get its info (eac3to file.dts), would it be possible to state whether it was padded or not? The only way to find out at the moment is to output a DTS file (eacto input.dts output.dts).

Last edited by Snowknight26; 30th November 2008 at 03:39.
Old 30th November 2008, 05:32   #7191  |  Link
Jeff Flowerday

Quote:
You can use the "-double7" option. Or maybe you can also use the ffdshow raw audio processor to do a similar thing at runtime? Not sure...
Not sure about ffdshow either, it's easier to just do convert to 7.1

Doing it right now, Thanks!!!
Old 30th November 2008, 11:01   #7192  |  Link
kurt
sidekick

Quote:
Originally Posted by banker_rishad View Post
Can anybody help with eac3to guides like to how to%. Step by step guide. madshi plz advise
I don't know a specific guide for eac3to but there is at least this wiki: http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Eac3to/How_to_Use

Maybe it'll help you...

Quote:
Originally Posted by quantum View Post
I've found .TS works better on my Networked Media Tank ...
that's because the NMT can decode TS/M2TS in hardware. mkv not. I'm also going over raw vc1 (from eac3to) to TS with tsmuxer and didn't experience any problems so far....

Last edited by kurt; 30th November 2008 at 11:07.
Old 30th November 2008, 20:10   #7193  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigotti5 View Post
Stream consists of single encoded fields but PES packet header containing PTS spans always two fields.
Duration of clips is always a multiple of 40 ms (PAL).
I've found that while what you say is correct for your sample, it's not correct for German PAL HDTV broadcasts. Here every single interlaced fields seems to be stored in its own PES packet and has its own PTS value. So the duration is 20ms for these broadcasts.

I'm now using the average video PES duration. That seems to work pretty well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowknight26 View Post
When running a DTS track through eac3to just to get its info (eac3to file.dts), would it be possible to state whether it was padded or not? The only way to find out at the moment is to output a DTS file (eacto input.dts output.dts).
Done.
Old 30th November 2008, 20:10   #7194  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

eac3to v2.79 released

http://madshi.net/eac3to.zip

Code:
* improved m2ts file joining overlap detection (mainly for interlaced video)
* vob/evo audio delay detection now uses "vobu start presentation time"
* program streams which are neither VOB nor EVO are now reported as "MPG"
* resampling is now automatically activated for AC3/DTS encoding, if necessary
* "Mersenne Twister" random number generator is used for dithering now
* zero padded DTS tracks are now displayed as such
* fixed: 32bit PCM conversion to floating point was broken
* fixed: with some (rare) movies first subtitle began after 50 minutes runtime
* only plugins with the extension *.dll are loaded now
Old 30th November 2008, 20:31   #7195  |  Link
Snowknight26

When Haali Media Splitter isn't installed and I specify .mkv as the output container for a video stream, this happens:

Code:
[v02] Extracting video track number 2...
[v02] Muxing video to Matroska...
[v02] Getting "Haali Matroska Muxer" instance failed.
----
The progress bar keeps going so I just cancelled it.

When I do have it installed, however, as I reported before, it still stops when the output file size is 2,752,512 bytes. Any way to track that issue down? Maybe a debug build of some sort?
Old 30th November 2008, 20:38   #7196  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
it still stops when the output file size is 2,752,512 bytes. Any way to track that issue down?
Try muxing with gdsmux. Does that also freeze? Which video format is the movie in? Eventually there are too many frames without a new key frame. That usually makes the Haali Muxer freeze, unfortunately...
Old 30th November 2008, 20:46   #7197  |  Link
Snowknight26

It happens with any video, be it VC-1, H.264, etc. I've tried nearly a dozen sources.

With gdsmux, when I use the 1st file from Die Another Day (00130.m2ts [H.264] - Blu-ray is seamlessly branched) and I have all the tracks checked, gdsmux goes from 0-100% but the output mkv file size is 4,325,376 bytes. When I select only the video stream, it stopped at ~11% and the file size was the same. I checked any audio stream, and it did the same 0-100% thing, same output file size. Unchecked the audio stream once again to make sure, and it again stopped at 11.2% with an output file size of 4,325,376 bytes.

Tried it again with the Doomsday Blu-ray (00000.m2ts [VC-1]) and with all tracks selected, goes form 0-100% but the output is still 4,325,376 bytes. Unchecked the audio tracks, % stopped at 0.8 this time.

Tried it with the 2 Fast 2 Furious HD DVD (FEATURE_1.EVO [VC-1]), stopped at 8,462,336 bytes. The Apollo 13 HD DVD (PEVOB_1.EVO [VC-1]) stopped at 4,325,376.

Tried an mkv as a source file but it didn't work either.

Won't work with ES video tracks either but thats because there is 'no combination of intermediate filters [...] to make the connection.'

Last edited by Snowknight26; 30th November 2008 at 21:03.
Old 30th November 2008, 20:49   #7198  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
It happens with any video, be it VC-1, H.264, etc. I've tried nearly a dozen sources. Will test gdsmux though.
If it's source independent then it probably indicates a general problem with your PC/installation, because video muxing seems to be working for everyone else. My suggestion would be to uninstall Haali's Media Splitter, then cleanup the harddisk and the registry to remove all what might be left, then reinstall Haali. Maybe that helps, maybe not.
Old 30th November 2008, 20:56   #7199  |  Link
Snowknight26

I've done that several times now. Removed files, registry entries, etc, still nothing. (Edited my post above.)
Old 30th November 2008, 20:59   #7200  |  Link
bigotti5
Spielberger

Concatenating my Cam files work like a charm now.....
Thx

Quote:
I've found that while what you say is correct for your sample, it's not correct for German PAL HDTV broadcasts. Here every single interlaced fields seems to be stored in its own PES packet and has its own PTS value. So the duration is 20ms for these broadcasts.

I'm now using the average video PES duration. That seems to work pretty well.
Yes - but video output length has to be a multiple of 40 ms
Closed Thread

Tags
eac3to