Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs

Old 3rd February 2006, 08:55   #61  |  Link
Shinjite

I am wondering if there is a problem with Xvid encoded files with MeGUI 0.2.3.1058? I can't seem to play it with any DS application players like MPC and etc. But I am able to view it with Mplayer without problems, what is the problem with it?
Shinjite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2006, 08:56   #62  |  Link
Dayvon
I'm Dayvon, an MP4 addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by berrinam
I think I cleared this up for someone else a little while ago: what DGIndex reports is based on the flags in the bitstream headers, whereas MeGUI's source detection actually analyses the video. While the end results will be the same for most DVD sources, those in which the bitstream flags don't match the video content will be detected correctly by MeGUI's source detection, but not by DGIndex. This is often the case with DVB sources, and it can also happen with badly mastered DVDs.

Of course, I'm not saying that you HAVE to use it, I just want to point out that MeGUI's source detection is actually more advanced, and consequently more accurate than DGIndex's.

I merely mentioned source detection, because that is the only place in MeGUI where you HAVE to put Decomb.dll in the AviSynth plugins directory, and it is also the only place where a specific Decomb.dll message will show if you haven't so I thought that it was likely that cc979 was getting his problems from that direction.
Point taken. Knowledge gained. Doom9 forum rules
Old 3rd February 2006, 08:59   #63  |  Link
Dayvon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinjite
I am wondering if there is a problem with Xvid encoded files with MeGUI 0.2.3.1058? I can't seem to play it with any DS application players like MPC and etc. But I am able to view it with Mplayer without problems, what is the problem with it?
Which version of Xvid are you using? I assume xvid_encraw which is under heavy development still. But that info is essential to helping you out! As is what splitter and decoder you have installed (FFdShow? Haali Media Splitter?), and what file container (mp4,avi,mkv) your video is in. More info plz
Old 3rd February 2006, 09:10   #64  |  Link
Shinjite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayvon
Which version of Xvid are you using? I assume xvid_encraw which is under heavy development still. But that info is essential to helping you out! As is what splitter and decoder you have installed (FFdShow? Haali Media Splitter?), and what file container (mp4,avi,mkv) your video is in. More info plz

I am using mencoder 20060101 to encode the Xvid file. Output will be in 1:1. FFDShow Nov 29 installed with Haali Media Splitter Nov 25 build and the file is encoded into an .avi file. Encoding is fine but the final output can't be viewed with MPC, WMP and the likes of it. Mplayer can play it though.....

The funny thing is, if I encode it halfway through and aborts the file ( I select don't delete aborted outputs in Megui ) and view the file, the file can be viewed through MPC...:weird:, but a 100% encode can't be viewed
Old 3rd February 2006, 09:23   #65  |  Link
Dayvon

In mencoder you are encode via VfW or CLI? I don't use mencoder, so I don't know. But I do know that you can't just place Mpeg4 CLI encoded video into AVI files. There are errors when it Directshow tries to render the frames. Try to place your Xvid encode inside a MP4 container using YAMB. This should help you see if its your video, or if its your video in wrong container.

If it does play in MPC after you mux to MP4, then that means that you will have to convert the Xvid file to an AVI compatible file (which I don't know what program does that, maybe AVC2AVI?). If it doesn't play, then your file is borked in some weird way...

That's my best guess, and probably not a good one. But at least a start
Old 3rd February 2006, 09:30   #66  |  Link
Shinjite

Using CLI here but my previous builds all can be viewed properly. This 1 I can't get it to view only (its a DVD rip 1 hour 48 minutes), looks like I need to PM the experts on this and see what is wrong.

Tested with a 1 minute clip, no problem at all....hmmm....hmmmm
Old 3rd February 2006, 09:30   #67  |  Link
Inc
Squeeze it!

In regular there are no problems when using mencoders integrated avi muxer.
Show us the generated mencoder commandline in the logfile/window and if its all right ... then try a different mencoderbuild and see if it helps.
Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2006, 09:32   #68  |  Link
Shinjite

Currently I don't the log with me, in my cousin's place. I will show it later when I get back
I will test it with the Nov 23rd build of mencoder also and see what is wrong with it
Old 3rd February 2006, 09:38   #69  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

Well.. I'm afraid the mencoder muxer isn't all that it's cracked up to be. At least muxing raw asp/avc streams into avi gives you something that only mplayer can play. If encraw finally comes to a stable state, I'm going to replace mencoder with it. BTW, what's your output? AVI or MP4? MP4 shouldn't be a problem, Matroska neither.. but I've heard previous reports of mencoder, XviD and AVI being a problem.. that's why I'm considering other muxers (but those thoughts haven't progressed very far).

BTW, @Dayvon: just because nobody said anything, we didn't miss your icon so let me say thanks at this juncture.
Old 3rd February 2006, 09:50   #70  |  Link
Shinjite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doom9
Well.. I'm afraid the mencoder muxer isn't all that it's cracked up to be. At least muxing raw asp/avc streams into avi gives you something that only mplayer can play. If encraw finally comes to a stable state, I'm going to replace mencoder with it. BTW, what's your output? AVI or MP4? MP4 shouldn't be a problem, Matroska neither.. but I've heard previous reports of mencoder, XviD and AVI being a problem.. that's why I'm considering other muxers (but those thoughts haven't progressed very far).

BTW, @Dayvon: just because nobody said anything, we didn't miss your icon so let me say thanks at this juncture.

The output is in .avi container. The last time I used to encode Xvid via Megui is through MeGUI 0.2.1024 .Net 1.1 and it works fine with Mencoder 20060101. After I changed to 0.2.3.2033, I only tested with AVC encodes. Now after changing to 0.2.3.2058, Xvid encode gives me this problem, revert it back to 0.2.3.2033 gives me the same problem also

Last edited by Shinjite; 3rd February 2006 at 10:26.
Old 3rd February 2006, 09:55   #71  |  Link
Dayvon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doom9
LOL. I was beginning to wonder. If you want a higher-rez (640x640) PNG version to down convert from for whatever, let me know. Good to be of any help
Old 3rd February 2006, 11:14   #72  |  Link
berrinam

Could it also be a problem with files bigger than 2GB.... again, the mencoder muxer seems to generate unplayable avi files if they are too big (an ODML issue, but more than that i don't know).
berrinam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2006, 14:14   #73  |  Link
cc979
Curious BetaTester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayvon
Do you have Gordian Knot installed? It looks like it. If you have AVISynth, then you really don't need Gordian Knot anymore, and the fact that you have 2 installed AVISynth programs might be messing up the path assigning. I suggest either unistalling Gordian Knot, or installing AVISynth to the path it's looking for.

Do you need to decomb your source (i.e. is your source interlaced?) ? If not then open the AVS file with Notepad and erase the line that will say something like:

Decomb()

If you do need to decomb, then you have the decomb.dll in the "C:\Program Files\GordianKnot\AviSynthPlugins" folder, so you could make the path that MeGUI is searching for and put the decomb.dll there.
thanks, decomb.dll in here works "C:\Program Files\AviSynth 2.5\plugins" even tho its in "C:\Program Files\GordianKnot\AviSynthPlugins" which is in the settings on megui

Tools: ProcessExplorer & ProcessMonitor - BatchCompressor

Guide: MinGW Compiling GCC
cc979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2006, 14:21   #74  |  Link
Avish

Hi Guys,

I wanted to know that When should I use the options "Mpeg2 Deblocking" & "Colour Correction" in meGUI? & what dlls should be there in my avisynth plugin folder for using these options?
Avish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2006, 18:14   #75  |  Link
Gusar

@ berrinam: It's not an ODML issue, but a MinGW issue. In linux I have no problems creating even 12GB large files with mencoder and they play perfectly in Linux and in Windows, in both VirtualDub (VFW) and DirectShow players. But mplayer compiled with MinGW has problems, it only plays the first GB. According to this thread on the mplayer mailing list, one solution is a mplayer compiled with cygwin.
Gusar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2006, 18:47   #76  |  Link
Inc
Squeeze it!

I remember when I just added --enable-largefiles to my ./configure line when compiling mencoder (even under MinGW) mencoder resulted encodings with filesizes bigger than 2GB played back properly. Ok, these where mpeg2 encodes, but it really seems that largefiles enabling could be the cure (imho).
EDIT: I also remember of an direct avi (xvid/mp3)mencoder encode I did which resulted in 3GB - no problems.

Last edited by Inc; 3rd February 2006 at 18:56.
Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2006, 22:16   #77  |  Link
ChronoCross
Does it really matter?

how does one go about using the preview button in the avs creator? It keeps crashing meGUI and I was thinging that perhaps I'm just missing a program.
ChronoCross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2006, 04:21   #78  |  Link
Shinjite

Quote:
Originally Posted by berrinam
Could it also be a problem with files bigger than 2GB.... again, the mencoder muxer seems to generate unplayable avi files if they are too big (an ODML issue, but more than that i don't know).

Mine was encoded from DVD. Output was 1.4GB and it was rendered unplayable so I had to use VFW in VDM. Tested with Nov 23rd version of mencoder also has the same problem. So I will conclude for myself that in my case, only large output files in .avi is a no-no. I haven't try out the --enable largefiles command yet though...
Old 6th February 2006, 06:41   #79  |  Link
berrinam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avish
Hi Guys,

I wanted to know that When should I use the options "Mpeg2 Deblocking" & "Colour Correction" in meGUI? & what dlls should be there in my avisynth plugin folder for using these options?
No extra dlls are required. Mpeg2 deblocking uses dgdecode.dll, which should already be in your plugins directory, and I believe that Colour Correction is part of AviSynth, but I've never actually tried it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inc
I remember when I just added --enable-largefiles to my ./configure line when compiling mencoder (even under MinGW) mencoder resulted encodings with filesizes bigger than 2GB played back properly. Ok, these where mpeg2 encodes, but it really seems that largefiles enabling could be the cure (imho).
EDIT: I also remember of an direct avi (xvid/mp3)mencoder encode I did which resulted in 3GB - no problems.
I used celtic_druid's builds of mencoder, and I came across some problems with large files (in particular, ffvhuff ones, for the prerender jobs). I got around these problems by adding --no-odml --forceidx to the commandline, but perhaps your approach is the proper way. Could you either try the prerender job to see whether it works and then try it without those tags, or else could you post your build so that I could have a go with it? Thanks
Old 6th February 2006, 07:02   #80  |  Link
berrinam

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronoCross
how does one go about using the preview button in the avs creator? It keeps crashing meGUI and I was thinging that perhaps I'm just missing a program.
Previewing opens the avs in MeGUI, so it shouldn't require any external programs. Can you post the error message and your AviSynth script that causes this?

Tags
megui