Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Announcements and Chat > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 4th March 2004, 01:12   #1  |  Link
lakedude

Why it is ok to "pirate" IMO

If you go to Walmart and buy something and you don't like it you take it back and get a refund. With software you buy it, try it and if it don't work or you don't like it then too bad for you cause you can't return it. If all movies were great and all software worked perfect out of the box I wouldn't mind paying up front for them. Thing is you are batting less then 500 most of the time and I for one will not pay for something that sucks if I can help it. It is too bad that there is no middle ground. I would love to pay fu2k and UMP for their work on Fair Use but that is impossible. I played Duke Nukem all the way thru on a pirate disk but later bought it out of respect. The makers of good software are in a tuff spot as they should have the right to get paid for their work.

A question for all the pirates: How would you go about protecting good softare companies from piracy?
Old 4th March 2004, 01:31   #2  |  Link
Sirber
retired developer

By "good software compagny", do you mean one like "Croteam"?
Old 4th March 2004, 03:01   #3  |  Link
avih
Capture, Deinterlace

Re: Why it is ok to "pirate" IMO

Quote:
Originally posted by lakedude
... How would you go about protecting good softare companies from piracy?
by making an example from yourself, not pirating, and preaching others that pirating is a very bad idea. both morally and leagally. period.

just like i'm doing now.

oh.. there u go. have a double strike for supporting piracy.

next time when you want to express your oppinion and support piracy, pls do it somewhere else, as it's not tolerated on this board.

Last edited by avih; 4th March 2004 at 03:09.
Old 4th March 2004, 03:55   #4  |  Link
lakedude

Sorry once for being an (partial) advocate of piracy, and twice for making this a seperate thread from the pirate poll at http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=71946 I hit a wrong button and ended up making this new thread instead of a reply.

Avih

Did you give them a hard time as well?
Old 4th March 2004, 04:03   #5  |  Link
avih
Capture, Deinterlace

Quote:
Originally posted by lakedude
Sorry once for being an (partial) advocate of piracy, and twice for making this a seperate thread from the pirate poll at http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=71946 I hit a wrong button and ended up making this new thread instead of a reply.

Avih

Did you give them a hard time as well?
so far imho, no one had crossed the line yet. but the moderation team is watching that thread closely.

remorse is good for your health . cheers.

Last edited by avih; 4th March 2004 at 04:05.
Old 4th March 2004, 13:15   #6  |  Link
Wilbert

Quote:
Thing is you are batting less then 500 most of the time and I for one will not pay for something that sucks if I can help it. It is too bad that there is no middle ground. I would love to pay fu2k and UMP for their work on Fair Use but that is impossible.
I'm sure that more people think this way.

Quote:
I played Duke Nukem all the way thru on a pirate disk but later bought it out of respect. The makers of good software are in a tuff spot as they should have the right to get paid for their work.
Sorry, as already said, we don't discuss piracy on this board. Thread closed.
Closed Thread