Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs

Old 10th July 2005, 21:53   #201  |  Link
Twisted Ladder

Ok, well I've got some more requests (that are hopefully easier to add):

Could downsampling be added to the audio config menu?

Could you add some extra "Storage Mediums" to the drop-down list in One Click Encoder? Specifically, a 512 card (which has a capacity of 483MB, and since you can't just overburn maybe 480000KB to be on the safe side) and a 1GB card (capacity of 973MB, so 970000KB).

Last edited by Twisted Ladder; 10th July 2005 at 21:57.
Twisted Ladder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2005, 07:14   #202  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

why on earth would you want to downsample? You're entering territory I do not want to go into.. downsampling is a bad idea. From a coding point of view it wouldn't be hard to implement though.

And obviously I could add a million different output sizes.. but that's what custom is for. Why those sizes? Are you thinking PSP? If so forgettabaoutit, it's not gonna happen. See this posts for details why: http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...590#post681590
Old 11th July 2005, 07:40   #203  |  Link
Twisted Ladder

More like Zodiac, using TCPMP

http://tcpmp.corecodec.org/about (also, x264 works but is far too slow compared to hardware XviD playback)

Also I was just suggesting downsampling because it helps at lower bitrates, e.g. a 24khz audio file at 64kbps might sound better than 48khz at 64kbps. I mean, this is "the most comprehensive GUI", right?

Last edited by Twisted Ladder; 11th July 2005 at 07:44.
Old 11th July 2005, 08:15   #204  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

Quote:
e.g. a 24khz audio file at 64kbps might sound better than 48khz at 64kbps.
Might? Perhaps if you can provide the mathematical evidence that this in indeed so I might consider it. But I'm afraid a might be isn't good enough. And then there's the 80/20 thing again.
Old 11th July 2005, 15:47   #205  |  Link
Twisted Ladder

It's the same way how 300kbps 15fps would look better than 30fps, because although there would be less frames, as a direct result the remaining frames would be less compressed. Same applies to audio, although 24khz wouldn't be as "smooth", it would be less compressed.

*shrug* All the cool kids are making CD backups I guess But even still I imagine some non-audiophiles would be willing to use 64kbps 24khz audio in order to fit a little more video quality on 1-CD backups.
Old 11th July 2005, 16:22   #206  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

Quote:
It's the same way how 300kbps 15fps would look better than 30fps, because although there would be less frames, as a direct result the remaining frames would be less compressed.
Now I'm fully sold. I get about as excited about non IVTC frame decimation as an atom at 0 degrees Kelvin.
Old 11th July 2005, 18:18   #207  |  Link
Twisted Ladder

You're a tough one to convince, aren't you? Well fine don't take my word for it:

http://s37.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=3...M2JV6XG2E0ZQJ8
http://s37.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=3...63J8JLP1HEXYMW

As you can hear, at this bitrate 24khz clearly sounds much cleaner and less compressed.
Old 11th July 2005, 19:10   #208  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

umm.. 64kbit any no HE AAC? That's just the bitrate HE was made for.
Old 11th July 2005, 19:14   #209  |  Link
Twisted Ladder

Whenever I use HE AAC it comes out sounding really wispy. Although I suppose that's a problem on my end.
Old 11th July 2005, 19:27   #210  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

sounds like your player doesn't handle the HE part properly.. I'm currently listening to a HE 64kbit stereo soundtrack.. while even a non audiophile like me can hear the difference, it does sound quite okay (but it's not up to my standards).
Old 11th July 2005, 19:41   #211  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

Quote:
The bitratecalc creation is in lines 267, 271, 964 (where it is added to the tools menu) and 993.
I have the creation, but 964 is the initialize component in the 0.2.1.2 sources and 993 is something entirely unrelated. Either way, I'll re-add it. Please wait for my next release before looking at the whole minimized mode thing again.
Old 11th July 2005, 23:40   #212  |  Link
berrinam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doom9
Please wait for my next release before looking at the whole minimized mode thing again.
Does this mean 2.1.3 or a future one?
berrinam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2005, 05:41   #213  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

the one after that... with a working bitrate calculator
Old 12th July 2005, 08:08   #214  |  Link
azsd
6502 fan

Code:
					if (fileType.SelectedIndex == 1 || (fileType.SelectedIndex == 2 && settings.X264Encoder == 0))
						this.saveFileDialog.Filter = "MPEG-4 AVC RAW Files|*.264";
					else
						this.saveFileDialog.Filter = "MP4 Files|*.mp4";
missing the mkv filter for fileTypeselectindex 3.

and,Is it "--pass 3" or "--pass 2" means the 2nd pass of x264 3pass encoding?
MeGUI use the "--pass 3" arg for 2nd pass in logfiles.
azsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2005, 08:26   #215  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

uhh.. where's that bit of code from? there's 1.24 MB of code in total

Quote:
and,Is it "--pass 3" or "--pass 2" means the 2nd pass of x264 3pass encoding?
Both.. the only difference is that 2 doesn't update the stats file anymore whereas 3 does. You can chose which one is used for automated 3pass in the settings (it's the "Overwrite stats in 3rd pass" setting). And I recall putting that in the release notes (my posts at the time I make a new release)..

@edit: never mind, it's the output filename selection. I never bothered with the output selection since it's done automatically.. and while the filter isn't correct, the filename you'll end up with is correct so there's no reason for a quick fix.
Old 12th July 2005, 09:02   #216  |  Link
berrinam

I've been looking at Matroska muxing a bit in my idle time. The thing I'm wondering is this: what is the purpose of creating a specific mkv muxing section of the gui? There is already a very good gui for muxing which is part of mkvtoolnix. Would it be better just to have matroska muxing for autoencode/oneclick jobs, and not really visible to the user except in the filetype combo box?
Old 12th July 2005, 09:29   #217  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

well, you always have to deal with pre-existing streams, so you kinda need a stripped down muxing GUI. Naturally it would be very much feature limited and basically look like the mp4 muxer, but you have to assign language codes, and additional input somewhere.
Old 12th July 2005, 09:36   #218  |  Link
berrinam

The thing about language codes is that you need to specify the the input stream number for the language code (ie if you want an audio track to be labeled as english, then you need to do something like --language 0:eng, where 0 is the track number of the INPUT file). So, either you assume that you are dealing with raw or one-stream files, and the track number is always 0, or else you have to do some file parsing, look through the tracks, and ask the user which track he/she wants to use as input.
Old 12th July 2005, 09:40   #219  |  Link
berrinam

A note about what I said above: assuming that the files you have all have only one stream may be a faulty conclusion; bsn/nero mp4 output has an AAC track and an Object descriptor track and a BIFS track.
Old 12th July 2005, 09:43   #220  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

I know that.. but that doesn't seem to have any noticeable effect on the outcome. The muxer works the way I expect it to (leaving the still open bugs in mp4box aside), and the overhead calculations seem to work (I'm actually surprised on how little problems there are with overhead.. the reason I started with mp4 was to get statistics but nobody reports them back, and nobody complains about oversize - or if they do, it's not due to improper calculations).

@edit:
Quote:
The thing about language codes is that you need to specify the the input stream number for the language code
umm.. are you refering to matroska now? It works just fine for mp4 even with the additional tracks (because the aac is always the first track in Nero's output). Naturally if people start using whatnot MP4s then they might run into trouble.. but that's really their problem.. I expect a Nero generated AAC in MP4. I guess faac would work as well but I've never tried it. But if somebody tries to be smart and loads an mp4 containing video and audio, or audio and something else.. that is really a user error you cannot catch with reasonable effort.

Tags
development, megui, not a help thread