Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > New and alternative video codecs
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10th September 2007, 14:44   #1941  |  Link
clsid

Also make sure you have the two recent Vista Performance and Compatibility updates installed.
Old 11th September 2007, 08:42   #1942  |  Link
cca
Anime Otaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBeaver View Post
Well ever since vista was released I've been reading about people like you who say everything is ok, maybe creative has some workaround in their drivers but it doesn't work for anyone else.
Well, I also have an onboard HD Audio card, for which I have installed the drivers for. I can check it out after work, and tell you if it is working too or not.
Old 11th September 2007, 12:43   #1943  |  Link
cca
Anime Otaku

Well, not sure what is happening after all, but it is something regarding ffdhsow. With the 1471 release I am unable to passthough anything, but AC3Filter does it just fine, and it is NOT a 64 bit filter. Also notable, when ffdhsow is used in conjuction with ReClock, it DOES manage to passthrough. It's up to the devs from this point on.
Old 11th September 2007, 13:01   #1944  |  Link
albain
Media Control author

Quote:
Originally Posted by cca View Post
Well, not sure what is happening after all, but it is something regarding ffdhsow. With the 1471 release I am unable to passthough anything, but AC3Filter does it just fine, and it is NOT a 64 bit filter. Also notable, when ffdhsow is used in conjuction with ReClock, it DOES manage to passthrough. It's up to the devs from this point on.
Interesting... this is definitely a buffer sizing issue
All the people who have problems own a 64 bits version of the OS (some datatypes have different size in 32/64bits) ?
It is important to know the answer to this question

Concerning the sound card, I have a creative XFI music and everything works fine on my setup. The problem comes from the HT receiver, and the way it handles the SPDIF (unperfect) encoding.

Otherwise the best way to solve this problem is that someone having these problems would test different sizing parameters with the option "maximize spdif compatibility" unchecked, untill he gets some correct sound.
Of course if AC3filter creator can give us some tips it would be much faster...

Last edited by albain; 11th September 2007 at 13:05.
albain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2007, 15:47   #1945  |  Link
cca
Anime Otaku

Well, I can indeed confirm that I use Windows Vista 64bit as my main OS. The problems I described were complete failure of ffdshow to connect to the audio renderer in S/PDIF mode, the receiver never had a problem in my case. Istead, what was happening was that AC3Filter was connecting after ffdshow and was doing S/PDIF decoding downmixing again! If I totally remove AC3Filter, ffdhshow just fails to produce any audio, not able to connect to the audio renderer. If I indeed specify ReClock as the audio renderer, everything works flawlessly. If we can figure this out by testing, I volunteer to help if I can. My receiver supports Dolby Digital EX and DTS 6.1.
Old 11th September 2007, 16:47   #1946  |  Link
SBeaver

Just so we are clear on this, I hope all of you actually have a way to tell what signal is going to the reciever.
From all information I have gathered there should be no way to passthrough ac3/dts using 32bit filters in vista x64.
At most you'll get decoded and downmixed to stereo pcm.
There is no need to mention xp x64 since it has no limitations in this area.
I have two soundcards myself, one via envy24HT based and on realtek 850 based.
None of these work on 32bit (realtek last tried with drivers sometime this spring, I assume nothing has changed) but both work when using a 64bit filter like ffdshow x64 builds.
Also please note that trying dts and ac3 in vistas audio settings and playing a test sound proves nothing since it is a 64bit app and should always work anyway.
The only systems I've seed with claimed working passthrough are creative soundcards they are either all false claims or creative has a workaround that they use somehow, but then why wouldn't all other manufacturers do the same thing?

edit: regarding reclock, did you use kernel streaming as the audio renderer? perhaps that bypasses vistas limiting audio stack in some way.
SBeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2007, 16:58   #1947  |  Link
cca
Anime Otaku

Quote:
Just so we are clear on this, I hope all of you actually have a way to tell what signal is going to the reciever.
From all information I have gathered there should be no way to passthrough ac3/dts using 32bit filters in vista x64.
At most you'll get decoded and downmixed to stereo pcm.
There is no need to mention xp x64 since it has no limitations in this area.
I have two soundcards myself, one via envy24HT based and on realtek 850 based.
None of these work on 32bit (realtek last tried with drivers sometime this spring, I assume nothing has changed) but both work when using a 64bit filter like ffdshow x64 builds.
Also please note that trying dts and ac3 in vistas audio settings and playing a test sound proves nothing since it is a 64bit app and should always work anyway.
The only systems I've seed with claimed working passthrough are creative soundcards they are either all false claims or creative has a workaround that they use somehow, but then why wouldn't all other manufacturers do the same thing?

edit: regarding reclock, did you use kernel streaming as the audio renderer? perhaps that bypasses vistas limiting audio stack in some way.
No, I did not used Kernel Streaming, I have it setup to use WaveOut for S/PDIF in ReClock. Also, AC3Filter can do S/PDIF with both my SoundBlaster X-Fi and my onboard SoundMAX audio device. Beware though: I also have a Logitech Webcam with microphone. I cannot get S/PDIF to work if the that microphone is left enabled in device manager, I have to manualy go and DISABLE totally the mic, which appears as USB Audio device. Sounds strange, but it happens exactly like this.
Old 11th September 2007, 17:07   #1948  |  Link
SBeaver

Quote:
No, I did not used Kernel Streaming, I have it setup to use WaveOut for S/PDIF in ReClock. Also, AC3Filter can do S/PDIF with both my SoundBlaster X-Fi and my onboard SoundMAX audio device. Beware though: I also have a Logitech Webcam with microphone. I cannot get S/PDIF to work if the that microphone is left enabled in device manager, I have to manualy go and DISABLE totally the mic, which appears as USB Audio device. Sounds strange, but it happens exactly like this.
I also have a usb audio device, I will try and remove it and see if it changes anything.
What was the audio you played btw? It's better if you say ac3 or dts since SPDIF really goes without saying since you can't pass anything through without it.
Old 11th September 2007, 17:15   #1949  |  Link
cca
Anime Otaku

Quote:
I also have a usb audio device, I will try and remove it and see if it changes anything.
What was the audio you played btw? It's better if you say ac3 or dts since SPDIF really goes without saying since you can't pass anything through without it.
It was AC3 5.1 if that helps. The Dolby Digital led lit up immediately in the receiver.
Old 11th September 2007, 17:24   #1950  |  Link
SBeaver

Quote:
It was AC3 5.1 if that helps. The Dolby Digital led lit up immediately in the receiver.

OK I hope that's acurate, my reciever can tell which channels are included and such but I guess if it gets a dolby signal something must be working right for you.

I tried again with the same results.
AC3filter shows the level bars and it says input it 5.1 and output is 5.1 and my reciever is still getting pcm stereo.
Then I try and check the use spdif (passthrough) and then I don't get any audio to the reciever at all.
And in x64 media players everything as working

Last edited by SBeaver; 11th September 2007 at 17:45.
Old 12th September 2007, 00:43   #1951  |  Link
phunqe

Feels like I'm missing something fundamental here, but I can't get ffdshow's h264 decoding to work on both my CPU cores. I've even tried setting the number of threads to 2 in decoder options, but it only uses one.

Currently using ffdshow_rev1471_20070909_clsid, but I've tried with other revisions as well and also on a different machine. Tried on both XP SP2 and Vista Ultimate x86.

Please advice.

Thank you.
phunqe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2007, 02:28   #1952  |  Link
foxyshadis
Angel of Night

It only decodes if it has multiple slices, like apple trailers, old x264 multithreaded encodes, Nero (I think?), maybe others. No idea whether HD discs use slices, if not then no threading currently.
foxyshadis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2007, 05:29   #1953  |  Link
cc979
Curious BetaTester

@haruhiko_yamagata remember when i mentioned about 'no text' in video decoder configuration part, which shows ..

codecs, directshow control, ... (which does not show anymore for me)

is unicode required to compile ffdshow.ax, as ansi from gcc is not displayed ?

cheers

Tools: ProcessExplorer & ProcessMonitor - BatchCompressor

Guide: MinGW Compiling GCC
cc979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2007, 11:24   #1954  |  Link
haruhiko_yamagata

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc979 View Post
@haruhiko_yamagata remember when i mentioned about 'no text' in video decoder configuration part, which shows ..

codecs, directshow control, ... (which does not show anymore for me)

is unicode required to compile ffdshow.ax, as ansi from gcc is not displayed ?

cheers
I compiled ffdshow by GCC 4.0.4. It works fine for me. I cannot reproduce. Could you send me the ffdshow.ax?
Old 12th September 2007, 16:08   #1955  |  Link
cc979
Curious BetaTester

did one working and a new one
http://www.speedyshare.com/778904670.html

cheers

Tools: ProcessExplorer & ProcessMonitor - BatchCompressor

Guide: MinGW Compiling GCC
cc979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2007, 08:57   #1956  |  Link
phunqe

How's the roadmap looking regarding dual core / multi processor support? Even with a fast cpu I get choppy performance when playing high bitrate 1080p videos.

Using CoreAVC for now, but it would be nice to have everything in one place.

Last edited by phunqe; 13th September 2007 at 09:09.
Old 13th September 2007, 09:00   #1957  |  Link
foxyshadis
Angel of Night

You'll have to ask ffmpeg. ffdshow is only the public face (like mplayer and vlc), actual decoding algorithms aren't written by us. =p
foxyshadis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2007, 09:43   #1958  |  Link
phunqe

...and there is a good example on that I should get my morning coffee before even remotely trying to ask any questions whatsoever.

Sorry
Old 13th September 2007, 16:31   #1959  |  Link
Leak
ffdshow/AviSynth wrangler

I'm having a slightly different problem with the ffdshow audio decoder and "swap channels" (which I use to swap the left and right channels since I have my stereo speakers behind me when I'm using my projector):

I was watching the first season of Star Trek: Voyager on DVD when I noticed that the episodes on the second disc stayed silent *unless* I activated 32-bit output in the ffdshow audio decoder. Using 16 or 24 bit instead doesn't work, as the 5.1 AC3 audio will stay silent - but it does work in the menu at first, which only has stereo audio...

Could it be that channel swapping, for whatever reason, only works right with 32bit output?

The three filters I'm using are the mixer (to mix 5.1 down to stereo), "swap channels" to swap left and right and "volume" to amplify things a bit.

I've used VOB Blanker to produce a stripped down set of files that is still able to reproduce the problem and put it here in case someone wants to try this out - just open the VIDEO_TS.IFO in MPC, click "English", "Phage" and "Launch" - as soon as the episode starts to play (without having "32 bit output" checked), there's no more sound from there on, as going back to the menu also lacks any sound after that.

np: Mike Shannon - Last One Terrified (Possible Conclusions To Stories That Never End)
Old 13th September 2007, 23:35   #1960  |  Link
yesgrey

It would be great to have an option in the output tab for converting to a custom RGB. This custom RGB would be obtained specifying the conversion 3x3 matrix to convert from YV12/YUY2 -> RGB.

This is needed because some displays have RGB primaries different from the BT.709, and with a custom matrix we can correct them to obtain the colors as they are supposed to be.

Ideally, we would have two RGB custom sets, because some videos are BT.601 and others are BT.709.

Would this be very hard to do? In case it's a simple thing is there anyone who can do it? I could try to do it, but I don't know where to start, and my c++ and asm skills are very low... I only know c.

Thanks.
yesgrey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ffdshow, ffdshow tryouts, ffdshow-mt, ffplay, icl