Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Avisynth Usage
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 7th March 2012, 19:16   #1  |  Link
kitchy

Avisynth and Rhozet Carbon Coder.

Hello.

For some time now I've delivered VOD material to clients using Carbon Coder. I use Avisynth to burn-in the subtitles, however upon switching to a new computer, Carbon Coder stalls when I start the convert/encoding process. It imports fine, I can even open the .avs file and scrub through it, but once I start to convert to Mpeg2 (PAL) it seem to be starting, but just sits there on 0% for ages. The files it outputs are 0kb. I tried with VCD PAL just to see if that would work, and this works. I've tried reinstalling carbon coder without any luck.

The source is an avisynth script using vobsub to burn in subtitles(directvobsub) and DGIndexNV from VOB source. I've tried to trim down the script, using only the DGIndexNV .dll plugin and the DGSource lines, without any luck.

Any ideas as to why this is happening?

This works fine on my old and outdated computer, however on my new Xeon 12 core system, it doesn't.

Thanks for reading.

Kitchy
kitchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2012, 19:35   #2  |  Link
TheRyuu
warpsharpened

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchy View Post
The source is an avisynth script using vobsub to burn in subtitles(directvobsub) and DGIndexNV from VOB source. I've tried to trim down the script, using only the DGIndexNV .dll plugin and the DGSource lines, without any luck.
Did you try a different source method (dgdecode/mpeg2dec3)?
TheRyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2012, 02:26   #3  |  Link
Inspector.Gadget

Does Carbon Coder on your new system perform hardware-accelerated MPEG-2 encoding? If so, what happens when you turn it off and encode only on the CPU?
Inspector.Gadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2012, 12:57   #4  |  Link
kolak

Carbon Coder does not do GPU encoding- all CPU.
You should use latest version of Carbon Coder- there were issues with many cores PCs.
kolak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2012, 18:11   #5  |  Link
kitchy

Well. I found that it was resizing that did it. I used lanc resizing filter (any filter seem to produce the error though) to resize it from 720 to 1024. If I set carbon coder source to interlaced, and had the resize filter it crashed. If I changed the source to progressive, it encoded fine. However, it's interlaced so I can't use that. I just skipped the resizing (in this instance it didn't matter anyway as the subpictures was 16x9 squeeze anyway).

This did work on my old computer though. Odd stuff.
kitchy is offline   Reply With Quote