Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Programming and Hacking > Translations

Closed Thread

Old 2nd January 2003, 15:48   #1  |  Link
goldirin

Translation in Greek (at last)

At the end of January, I hope, must be finish the translation in Greek!

Now only working a mirror of this site at
http://www.doom9.info
Old 3rd January 2003, 22:39   #2  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

Lots has changed since you first posted the link.. it's starting to look good (thought I don't understand anything anymore). Something seems to be out of order with the table in the top frame (stuff isn't centered) and try to make all links to external sites display in their own window (target=_blank). Showing another site in your own frameset is generally frowned upon (and depending on the country you live in can be even illegal). And.. don't be shy the show the sitemeter numbers... everybody starts small.
Old 4th January 2003, 00:28   #3  |  Link
goldirin

I thank for your good reasons. The corrections will become as soon as possible.
The site meter, aim it has to watch who pages they visit more from Greece in order to translate more shortly.
It does not tease that you do not understand what I write in the pages … You can crossings yours
With a lot of wishes for the New Year
Andreas from Greece
Old 4th January 2003, 03:45   #4  |  Link
epere4
Doom9 in Spanish Team

Well, now we are talking
It looks very nice (and I mean it, because I can't read anything, neither )

I believe that when you have some guides translated, then your site will become official (but that is up to Doom9, off course). I remember the first guide I tranlated was the virtualdub procedures (virtualdub_procedures.htm), because many other guides refered to it. But I think is a good idea to start with Div5 Gordian Knot guide, or some DVD2AVI guide. Anyway, if you have to translate something, choose the guides to which you are more familiar.

Congratulations and continue the good work!!

Get DVobSub 2.23 and VobSub 2.23 in Spanish
Old 4th January 2003, 09:05   #5  |  Link
goldirin

I thank for your good reasons. Me they give courage to continue this effort for Greek Doom9. I and my remainder family (!) we have fallen with the faces in the translation. It is good idea I begin from DIV X 5 because here in Greece it has big use.
I want few help from you in order to I make one Greek forum.

A lot of wishes for the New Year.
Old 4th January 2003, 14:50   #6  |  Link
goldirin

Do you like the new flags ?
Old 4th January 2003, 17:10   #7  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

well.. they look nice but I think they're just a tad too big and make people focus more on the flags than on what they should be looking at (the news). Plus.. you forgot the most important flag

As for the forum.. you need a hosting that supports php and mysql. Then you create a mysql database, write down name login/password to the database. Then upload phpBB2 (www.phpbb.org), and follow the included instructions to install. During the installation you'll be asked for stuff like the path on your server, the database information you wrote down, stuff like that. It's really very straightforward, I've managed to install phpbb without having any prior knowledge of bulleting board software and php (and extremely little mysql experience). Then once it's installed you can go to the administration panel and start playing around.. you'll want to create a couple of forums, and some user classes (moderation team and such). Do not try to copy the whole original forum.. in the beginning you'll want to start small (maybe one forum for general discussion, one for divx, one for svcd and one for dvd-r) and expand these sections (it involves a lot of copying around I know.. but it's worth it) or else people might think that your forum is dead and go somewhere else. It will probably take a while for the forum to really catch on in the Greek community and it requires that you have a few moderators who really are there to answer whatever question they can. Eventually when the userbase is large enough moderators can more tend to the moderation duties as other members will help out with questions but in the beginning it really takes a lot of your time to get things rolling.

And as for you getting the flag up on my site.. as epere said.. I need you to create the document overview as the other translated sites have it, and means for volunteers to join in. You're already translating news which is good, now you need a few catchy guides as well. GKnot is certainly one starting point, dvd2svcd is another and then one or two ifoedit guides to begin with. Basic articles are also pretty important (glossary, faqs.. they're the hardest to translate but it's much easier to refer to a glossary than answer the same question 10 times over).

One last thing.. you seem to have one table line too many for the news
Old 4th January 2003, 22:01   #8  |  Link
goldirin

Ok! I get that!
Thanks for ALL !
Old 5th January 2003, 05:57   #9  |  Link
epere4
Doom9 in Spanish Team

Like Doom9, I belive that flags are too big.
You should take a look at the flags posted by Scipio in this thread. The Greek flag is not included there, but you have the adress from where Scipio took the flags. It is this one.. Get your flag from there, optimize it for the web and adjust it to the right size (the same as other translation projects and the same as the original site).
It is important that all sites look the same to maintain a style that users can recognize as Doom9's (Doom9 has talked about that in other posts).

CU

Old 5th January 2003, 23:47   #10  |  Link
goldirin

I will change the morning, early.
You are right for the uniformity.
I download the file with flags, I thank a lot.
Old 7th January 2003, 00:51   #11  |  Link
DVD__GR

Den katalabaino kan ti pas na kaneis??,
exei arxisei mia prospatheia kai pas na tin sampotareis,
kanonika o monos pou mporei na apofasizei einai o geocapital pou arxise to thema gia tin metafrasi..
an thes na sampotareis tin prospatheia ton allon paidion pesto na kseroume...

Last edited by DVD__GR; 7th January 2003 at 00:55.
Old 7th January 2003, 05:38   #12  |  Link
epere4
Doom9 in Spanish Team

Why not in English?

Old 7th January 2003, 15:47   #13  |  Link
goldirin

Den katalabaino ilikrina ti les
Poios einai o geocapital poy dikeoute na milaei kai giati?
3ereis esy i kapoios allos poso kairo exo asxoli8ei me ayto to 8ema?
3ereis esy poso kairo asxoloyme me ipologistes kai me internet?
Fantazesai kan poso xronon eimai?
Ma8e se parakalo, gia sena oxi gia mena, ti einai INTERNET, ti filosofia toy, kai meta ta lame.
Kai epeidh eimai sigouros oti 8a exeis apories pou den linontai se ena forum, an 8es too mail i to tilefono mou, pes mou.

Ali8eia, 3ereis oti to fefrouario tou 2000 ipirxan sto www.kemalis.gr 8emata sxetika me to, katopin doom9? Tote o topos autos eixe 15 epislepseis tin imera. Kai oles apo Elladara.

Auta.
KALI XRONIA
Old 7th January 2003, 22:45   #14  |  Link
geocapital

I see a fight is about to begin...
What is this, the old greek curse, about fighting each other?

The truth is, and I think that everyone should know, is that apart from this greek site, there is another one on
http://doom9.nitro.gr

If not the first page, some of the rest are already translated and translation goes on.
So, instead of fighting, we should get our efforts together.

And this is to you, goldirin. I reply in english, even if you wrote in greek. Of course, I have no authority to speak on whether you can make a greek site or not. However, if you start somenthing on you own, while some others have already built something, well, this isn't right. I think it's simple...
Second, I don't care, and nobody else does, how old you are, how long you've been working on the net or anything else. I suppose that you don't know how old I am, or we are, and how long we've been working on ripping, don't you?
Maybe we don't know what internet is, and what is its philosophy, but I bet you don't have a clue of what teamwork means. I don't see your problem, since you don't have to gain anything from this.

You want to make a greek doom9. Well, I guess that there will be two of them.

Cheers.

Last edited by geocapital; 7th January 2003 at 22:53.
Old 8th January 2003, 00:30   #15  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

Quote:
You want to make a greek doom9. Well, I guess that there will be two of them.
ahem I guess I do have a say in this. There cannot be two mirrors in the same language and that's my final word. I initially was bit confused to see a new face posting the url but so far he's done good work so who would suspect lesser things of him?
From this point on no more Greek language in this forum as I want to know what's going on.

Anyway, you should knwo that running a mirror isn't so much fun so I'm sure you can put aside your differences and one will appreciate the load that's being taken off his shoulders. A translation project needs all the support you can get so by all means you guys should all work together. What if one of you translates the news and puts new documents online and the other coordinates the translation, hands out the work to the translator, and checks it when it gets returned?
So, please let us all not get worked up and set a common course of action instead of wasting precious time fighting each other.
Old 8th January 2003, 00:43   #16  |  Link
goldirin

Dear friend

Those who clerks are ABSOLUTELY RIGHTLY.

I am forced to say, to you and in that other, anonymous or surname it is interested certain explanations that I believe they are essential.
Firstly I am recommended. Is named Andreas Kemalis and I am technician of Graphic Arts.
I work on 20 years in the IETA (Institution of Printing of Banknotes and Values) and possess the place of Head of Printing.
On long time interval, because on the one hand my profession and on the other hand my love to the PC I deal with them. As soon as it was founded in our homeland domain. gr, I was from first that acquired domain name and concretely at the habit of that season, to put then our name, kemalis.gr.
I understand that all these are completely incurious and him report for reasons of acquaintance.
In the dues 1999, with a team of friends of "madnesses", we began with the Digital Video and the Ripping of our DV (then Digital 8) as well as the DVDs. By the then company, were written certain directives on the all subject, unknown then. These directives "went up" in the beginnings 2000 in the unique place that then existed and had all access, in http://www.kemalis.gr A small place where if you add the 2500 Drs that I had then given in the Inland Revenue for the statement of registration of name and the 14 $ for one year where I gave for hosting my had cost nothing. Only that I can consider cost they were the hours where worked, reason of inexperience of then times, in order to they become reality and "go up" the first directives.
After interval 2 or even 3 months, I do not remember precisely, it made his appearance a place called Doom 9. He was surprise for me, obviously pleasant, the structure and the subjects of this place. With interest him I watch from then.
Likely and these, dear friend, your they are all incurious. And for you but also in a lot of other. For me however it is History and it has big value as much as that Historical day where I bought my first computer, in 1980, a ZX 80.
And as we come in current and modern. Some moment I decided a mirror Doom 9 in our language. Simultaneously with my decision, afterwards this year's summertime, I found a domain name enough near in original Doom9.org Doom9. info. I made mirroring the site and I began, in very little time free where I have, the work.
Now, before few days I found in Doom9’s forums new thread on the subject the passage of Doom9 in Greek. I under wrote therefore from, that something I make and, likely, I finish in the end of month. The existence dooms9.nitro.gr ignoring and I do not know when "it went up". These for our subject.
Mainly, the bet perm collaboration him you have lost. My professional situation and my all retrospection in the space would not exist by no means if it were not supported in what you say that I do not have! The ABSOLUTE COLLABORATION.
With all them and them, I have very written very many… Something that him I do not get used by no means.
I cannot close differently this long letter without I wish to you and generally in all the collaborators you my better wishes for 2003.

Andreas Kemalis
Andreas@kemalis.gr
Old 8th January 2003, 01:16   #17  |  Link
goldirin

Dear friend Doom9
and you of course have reason in this.
I am amazed from the news that exists also other team that deals with the translation his one and unique doom 9.
Aim my was (and it is) afterwards the translation "to go up" and other directives that I have ready, with these subjects.
I cannot occupy however because so much "bang" for the translation and who him will make. As him makes each interested.
This in order to you know, dear friend, how many we you love in Greece!
Him we will say shortly (the flags is ok now?)
Old 8th January 2003, 05:11   #18  |  Link
epere4
Doom9 in Spanish Team

I also believe that there has to be only one Greek mirror.

Having two mirrors implies not only more (a lot more) work for you, but also for the users. Imagine that you are a user and want to access certain page and found it is translated. Then, he/she doesn't remember well the adress and found the one from the other mirror and trys to look for the same page and it happens to be in English. The users may not come back...

Till December, I was the one in charge of the Spansh translation project (I started it). But there was a moment when I got tired of translating all day and decided to take a brake. Now, SquallMX (one of the people that were helping) took over. And maybe, when he gets tired, I will come back. Or somebody else. What I am trying to tell you is that a single translation project is a lot of work. And now you maybe fighting for its control, but in a while you will be a bit tired and will regret being the main responsible of the project. And remember you won't get any money in return for your job. It is just a hobby. To have fun.

So don't fight. Asing each other different tasks.

Anyway, if I would have to give someone priority, it would be the first who anounce the site on the forum, or the first to post with the iniciative. I believe that is Geocapital, but correct me if I am wrong.

Well, that is my opinion.

CU

Old 8th January 2003, 10:31   #19  |  Link
DVD__GR

truth..

FOR THE TRUTH TO BE SPOKEN:
1There is a thread long time now and with 84 replies about the greek translation,BUT HE did not see it!!!!R U kiddin??
2HE posted in the thread his site when the doom9.nitro.gr was already online
3HE tried to impress us for who he is something we dont care??Who HE IS??HE said..Why??because he is clearly arrogant and selfish,he want to impress but..HE SHOULD KNOW that there are LOTS of people better than him in everything,maybe or be us,we dont care.
4LOOK at the image under his nickname and WHAT IT writes...
5.......i dont need to speak for HIS actions...
6For all the things he said i will not give him the pleasure to answer because he directly offended me and the people who much time before him had started working and speking (u know how...)just read...
Old 8th January 2003, 12:18   #20  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

Quote:
1 There is a thread long time now and with 84 replies about the greek translation,BUT HE did not see it!!!!R U kiddin??
2 HE posted in the thread his site when the doom9.nitro.gr was already online
I have to admit, I've seen the url but when I saw the new site I thought it was made by the same people, and it looks like epere assumed the same. Plus there's the fact that there have been little visible results from the other thread... I wasn't very convinced that the Greek project would ever see the light of the day (meaning more than just a mirrored copy of the English site) and I was positively surprised to finally see a Greek site.
Regardless of that it's of course inappropriate to start your own project when there's already something going on - the people around geocapital should definitely have been contacted to oin the efforts. I do not know if goldirin ever tried to make contact, but if not I think an apology is in order.
Quote:
3HE tried to impress us for who he is something we dont care??Who HE IS??HE said..Why??because he is clearly arrogant and selfish,he want to impress but..HE SHOULD KNOW that there are LOTS of people better than him in everything,maybe or be us,we dont care.
Now this is exactly what I didn't want to have. Whom are you helping here? You're just continuing to digging the trench between the two camps when you should try to fill up that trench instead. And who would be impressed? Me? Everybody can write, so I judge people by their actions, not words. If you can speak both languages you are basically qualified to run the site but ripping knowledge comes in really handy when you have to check translated guides for errors. And then again I would assume that anyone volunteering for the job would have some basic ripping knowledge.
Quote:
4LOOK at the image under his nickname and WHAT IT writes...
Once again not helping. Who cares what it says? If you think it's suckup that works you are mistaken, you'll need much more than that to get my support.

Now, you can continue to go down that road in which case I'll be forced to make the decisions for you. This would mean I'll decide who does what and you'll have no choice but to cooperate or to abandon. Or, you can behave like grown-ups, sit together at a table and work out a solution where all the time invested can be put to good use. I'm sure the people around geocapital and dvd__gr have already translated some documents (I just don't see them anywhere), so if you put this together with the basic translated site I think we'd already have a project ready for its official start.

Oh yeah, number 5&6: not helping.