Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > DVD & BD Rebuilder
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 31st December 2010, 14:59   #10701  |  Link
jdobbs

And a Happy New Year to you and all the other folks here on Doom9!
Old 31st December 2010, 15:37   #10702  |  Link
torque2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by torque2k View Post
Will try that tonight; sounds VERY plausible. I'm using MSE (not the latest 2.0 version yet).
OK, jdobbs, you were right on the money! Microsoft Security Essentials 1.X had to be the culprit. I just installed the new 2.0 version (and if anyone HASN'T done this upgrade, they really should, as it adds heuristic detection to an already decent free product), and after the reboot BD-Rebuilder called MPC with a preview, no hiccups whatsoever.

Brilliant! Thank you so much for helping with this annoying issue.

One last thing: will there ever be the fine level of control over "blanking" sections of a Blu Ray like there is in DVD-Rebuilder? Right now I'm making myself learn multiAVCHD in order to keep SOME of the extras on my disc, but blank out the previews... unless someone has a better way of doing this. I can see the option to "Blank this item", but it's grayed out in Full Movie mode, and if I switch to Movie Only mode not everything is available in order to blank things. DVD-RB's Segment Viewer/Editor is by far my favorite feature of that program...
torque2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2010, 20:30   #10703  |  Link
laserfan
Aging Video Hobbyist

Regarding STES API:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdobbs View Post
Done. I set it so that both display and system are needed as each encode begins. It is reset to CONTINUOUS at the end of the encode (restarting the SLEEP timer). This should keep the system from sleeping (until BD-RB is complete) no matter how you have your power options set.
Wow I thought you might have ignored this given you run the heck out of your PCs. I will give it a try when it's up.

Thanks and HAPPY NEW YEAR jdobbs!
laserfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2010, 21:47   #10704  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by torque2k View Post
OK, jdobbs, you were right on the money! Microsoft Security Essentials 1.X had to be the culprit. I just installed the new 2.0 version (and if anyone HASN'T done this upgrade, they really should, as it adds heuristic detection to an already decent free product), and after the reboot BD-Rebuilder called MPC with a preview, no hiccups whatsoever.

Brilliant! Thank you so much for helping with this annoying issue.

One last thing: will there ever be the fine level of control over "blanking" sections of a Blu Ray like there is in DVD-Rebuilder? Right now I'm making myself learn multiAVCHD in order to keep SOME of the extras on my disc, but blank out the previews... unless someone has a better way of doing this. I can see the option to "Blank this item", but it's grayed out in Full Movie mode, and if I switch to Movie Only mode not everything is available in order to blank things. DVD-RB's Segment Viewer/Editor is by far my favorite feature of that program...
It'll be available soon. Probably not in the next version (unless I get really motivated), but maybe the one after that.

Last edited by jdobbs; 31st December 2010 at 21:51.
jdobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2010, 21:49   #10705  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by laserfan View Post
Regarding STES API:
Wow I thought you might have ignored this given you run the heck out of your PCs. I will give it a try when it's up.

Thanks and HAPPY NEW YEAR jdobbs!
I may not always be clear in how I do it or say it, but I honestly do try to give folks what they want. Happy New Year to you too.

Last edited by jdobbs; 31st December 2010 at 21:56.
Old 31st December 2010, 23:08   #10706  |  Link
Taroth

Happy new year!

I know this is the wrong thread but I've been following this thread for a while and used your software a few times to backup a BD so it's time to donate to keep this going.

Hope you have a good new year and keep up the good work.

Roger Heald
Taroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2010, 23:46   #10707  |  Link
torque2k

Quote:
It'll be available soon. Probably not in the next version (unless I get really motivated), but maybe the one after that.
You're awesome. Donated tonight, just a bit, but I'll keep "renewing"...
torque2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2011, 00:24   #10708  |  Link
jdobbs

Thanks much, guys. It is very much appreciated.
Old 1st January 2011, 01:40   #10709  |  Link
The_Unknown

Happy New Year!

I'm having trouble while reducing the size of a BD50 with in-movie-experience. That means, a DTS-Express-audio-part is in there. Will there be any way in future versions to have that cool feature also in the backup? Or is there already one and I have ben blind ?
The_Unknown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2011, 03:09   #10710  |  Link
drmih

Here's any interesting disc problem. I'm just backing up a BBC disc of a UK series called 'Being Human' - Series 2 (I'm just doing the first disc to bd-9 Full). Everything went well with no warnings. When I play back the bd-9 (on all devices and pcs) I get the menu but no overlay, which prevents me from playing the disc - both the original disc and the iso on the HDD play fine with the overlay. The M2TS file with the menu is 152. If I read the original into TsMuxer, it reports an unsupported stream type and ignores it - on the bd-9 it doesn't, but shows the three streams that the original showed after the warning - a video, audio and subtitle track (although in BD-RB the subtitle track shows as being empty). If I read the original stream into TsRemux, it shows a fourth stream called 'Interactive Graphics Stream #0'. I'm guessing that if I replace the new 60 Mb m2ts file with the original 250 Mb one that it will probably work, but any idea why it fooled bd-rb?
drmih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2011, 03:48   #10711  |  Link
Capsbackup

BD-RB, with tsMuxeR, does not support IGS menu and DTS Express secondary audio.
If you replace the reencoded menu's with the original ones, the buttons may show as expected, but if the bitrate of the original is above the AVCHD limit, you may get stuttering video and audio for the menu playback! ( happened to me anyway).
This will be corrected once jdobbs implements his own remux alternative.
Capsbackup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2011, 04:05   #10712  |  Link
jdobbs

Support for both IGS and DTS Express should be available for testing within the next couple of versions. Frankly it should have been done long ago.
Old 1st January 2011, 09:56   #10713  |  Link
HWK

Jdobbs , I need clarification regarding option “PASS_TWO_STATS_UPDATE=n” When this option is enabled does it do three pass or two pass only. I ask because in gui you only see max of 2 pass even if this option is selected, where in hidden option it says if set to "1", BD-RB uses "--pass 3" for second pass . Kind of confused here.

Also there is hidden option which allow user to set output quality to be Ultra High by setting option “ENCODE_QUALITY=4” which assign preset to be slower in “lastcmd” file. I was curious x.264 also allow preset of very slow and placebo. Do you think it be beneficial have them.

Ps: Happy new year.
HWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2011, 10:43   #10714  |  Link
BZeeme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taroth View Post
Happy new year!

I know this is the wrong thread but I've been following this thread for a while and used your software a few times to backup a BD so it's time to donate to keep this going.

Hope you have a good new year and keep up the good work.

Roger Heald
I agree and donated again yesterday.
RGR
BZeeme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2011, 11:21   #10715  |  Link
drmih

Quote:
Support for both IGS and DTS Express should be available for testing within the next couple of versions. Frankly it should have been done long ago.
Thanks - it did work fine by simply replacing the files. Fortunately on BBC titles there's always a setup HD movie sequence to jettison to make the extra space.

In the meantime is there a way to show a disc which have this problematic stream?
drmih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2011, 12:33   #10716  |  Link
Hobojobo
don't blame me!

running multiple instances of bd RB?

Is it possible to run multiple instances of BD RB with different with different working paths?
Hobojobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2011, 13:55   #10717  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmih View Post
Thanks - it did work fine by simply replacing the files. Fortunately on BBC titles there's always a setup HD movie sequence to jettison to make the extra space.

In the meantime is there a way to show a disc which have this problematic stream?
I'll add a condition that copies a stream intact if it has IGS.
Old 1st January 2011, 14:06   #10718  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWK View Post
Jdobbs , I need clarification regarding option “PASS_TWO_STATS_UPDATE=n” When this option is enabled does it do three pass or two pass only. I ask because in gui you only see max of 2 pass even if this option is selected, where in hidden option it says if set to "1", BD-RB uses "--pass 3" for second pass . Kind of confused here.

Also there is hidden option which allow user to set output quality to be Ultra High by setting option “ENCODE_QUALITY=4” which assign preset to be slower in “lastcmd” file. I was curious x.264 also allow preset of very slow and placebo. Do you think it be beneficial have them.

Ps: Happy new year.
You probably want to read the X264 documentation, as it describes "--pass 3". Essentially it works exactly like "--pass 2", except it updates the stats file with the results the nth pass (2 through n). That makes it possible to do additional "--pass 3" passes that also each update the stats file (as many as you want). I wouldn't recommend it, though, as (IMHO) the results don't justify the additional time. When you do the proper analysis in a two pass encode (as X264 does), additional passes are pretty much does very little (if anything).

No, I don't think it would of benefit to add the additional presets. They are massive overkill and give little benefit in this application at the expense of huge time costs. All they would do is give folks the impression I think they are needed -- and they are not. In truth I think the existing "Highest" mode is rarely if ever needed, in fact I can't remember the last time I used it.

Just as a little tip... there is also a hidden "ENCODE_QUALITY=5" setting. I put it there for testing. It uses the fastest X264 settings available, but on most encodes you'll probably not want to do a permanent backkup with it, as you lose quality in order to gain speed.

Last edited by jdobbs; 1st January 2011 at 14:12.
Old 1st January 2011, 14:15   #10719  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobojobo View Post
Is it possible to run multiple instances of BD RB with different with different working paths?
Only if you also install it in multiple different folders also (the installation path). Running two instances from the same folder will cause conflicts in the use of the INI file.

Honestly, though, there is little benefit from running two or more instances unless you are finding that there is a lot of unused CPU time. I would guess that to be rare except possibly with huge processor counts. X264 uses almost all (if not all) of the available processor time (I've seen ~100% usage reported on pass two with systems having 8 processors) -- and two concurrent instances will probably run slower than two sequential batch jobs.

Last edited by jdobbs; 1st January 2011 at 14:21.
Old 1st January 2011, 17:07   #10720  |  Link
Capsbackup

Quote:
I'll add a condition that copies a stream intact if it has IGS.
Would this condition work if the desired output is BD5/9?
My experience was, I believe anyway, that the bitrate was too high for the BD5/9, and the backup had audio stuttering when keeping the original IGS menu. However, the BD-25 backup worked perfectly keeping the original menu.( using the MIN_M2TS=xxx)
Capsbackup is offline   Reply With Quote