Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Avisynth Usage

Old 22nd May 2010, 01:28   #21  |  Link
Bi11
Architect

I used to use fft3dfilter(sigma=4, sigma2=0, sigma3=0, sigma4=0 bw=32, bh=32, ow=16, oh=16, bt=5) as an "all-purpose" filter at the end of every script to increase compressibility and actually increase SSIM with x264.

However, after using fft3dfilter for several sources and encoding with x264, when I actually played the videos I saw they were softer and less sharp than the original. Other denoisers like RemoveGrain, Undot, DegrainMedian, TTempSmooth, etc..., had a similar effect but they would also give rise to various artifacts, like reducing the brightness in small eyes.
I think the word for what was removed/missing is "complexity". The same complexity AQ and Psy-RD try to retain with x264.

So now I try to avoid denoising unless it's necessary. Instead, for real-life videos, I just load the video, do the necessary filtering to make the video look flicker-free but still complex (like deblocking with deblock_QED then slight kernel shapening with LSFMod to enhance detail), then encode with x264, generally using the following parameters:
Code:
x264.exe --preset slower --tune film --aq-mode 2 --psy-rd 1:0.25
So since you're testing, try encoding the video (using the above settings with 2-pass to ensure comparable bitrates) without any post-processing and compare it with the post-processed encodes.

Last edited by Bi11; 22nd May 2010 at 01:32.
Bi11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
avisynth, filters