Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 8th January 2015, 23:44   #27981  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by XinHong View Post
I didn't know that DVBViewer was able to use madVR
The official version doesn't support it yet, but it's currently being developed. The DVBViewer dev already posted in the forums that the next official version will support madVR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plutotype View Post
Madshi, any chance to ask Light Illusion to include remote madtpg control as you have done with Calman please?
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2015, 10:58   #27982  |  Link
StinDaWg

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
madVR is not even aware of whether the GPU is overclocked or not, let alone control it in any way. This is all outside of madVR's control.
So you can't replicate madVR lowering render time after exiting out of, and then back into fullscreen?
StinDaWg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2015, 14:35   #27983  |  Link
Mano

Is it just me or when i open a 1080p clip with bit rate higher than 3mbps there will be a 2s lag like this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_H2T6ZaJfo

I show up my madvr setting in the end of the clip. Is that problem with my pc spec or hdd or just madvr nature?
Mano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2015, 15:19   #27984  |  Link
huhn

is EVR CP opening a file a lot faster for you?

could be your HDD, DXVA decoding (DXVA AMD is pretty slow...) or something else.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2015, 16:26   #27985  |  Link
Mano

EVR CP improved it somehow but i still feel it is a bit slow. and yes i am using AMD card

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qvweN_uFmU
Old 9th January 2015, 16:35   #27986  |  Link
huhn

the difference is about 0-3 frames.

try disabling DXVA decoding.

but this looks more like it has to do with your HDD. but is this really an issue?
Old 9th January 2015, 16:49   #27987  |  Link
Mano

how do i disable DXVA? did you see there is a noticeable jagging/lag/shutter at the beginning with madvr? i just got a bsod open that video the first time which i havent got for like a years.

also i just checked playing it on my ssd drive. the jagging/lag/shutter is still present.
Old 9th January 2015, 18:33   #27988  |  Link
huhn

this should do the trick: http://abload.de/img/dxva1mujm.png

i don't get problems opening a BD with 37+ mbit.
but i have more than decent hardware.
Old 9th January 2015, 19:12   #27989  |  Link
a8213711

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
i25 should be the same as i50, which most TVs do support. But I would stay away from anything interlaced unless oyu have no other choice.
Sorry, do you mean away from interlaced source or output?

Also I have a weird behaviour I just noticed:
I have in MadVR http://i58.tinypic.com/dqr89e.jpg and when I start a .wtv with 25fps I get display at 59.9Hz, then I press alt+tab to go on Windows Media Center (Win8.1) and then again alt+tab on MPC-HC and this time I get display at 50Hz and the image is more saturated.
What should I do?
a8213711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2015, 19:27   #27990  |  Link
Mano

thanks, seem like disable DXVA did the trick.
Old 9th January 2015, 19:32   #27991  |  Link
huhn

can you make a screen with the different saturations plus OSD?
are you using an intel IGPU ?
Old 9th January 2015, 20:21   #27992  |  Link
iSunrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysteryX View Post
I'm jus thinking about something. Why do the video profiles have to be configured manually? Thinking about it, it could be auto-configured pretty easily.

Let's say I'm running with SVP and madVR has 16.6ms to render each frame. What I would manually do is open each resolution of video (288p, 360p, 480p, 720p, 1080p) in Widescreen, press CTRL+J and create a profile that brings the rendering time as close to 16.6ms as possible.

madVR could do these tests and build these profiles itself.

or... perhaps even better, it could try various settings until it gets close to its maximum allowed rendering time, and cache these results. If there are dropped frames, it would automatically lower the settings, if rendering time gets lower, it would automatically higher the settings.

Is something like this in the road-map?
Pretty cool idea, however, since there is not only resolution and refresh rate of the source that needs to be taken into account, but also your current refresh rate of your monitor, interlaced/progressive and finally your madVR settings, this can get a mess pretty fast, especially since madVR should work in realtime.

What would probably work is that the user had some kind of offline tool that replicates madVRs functionality and settings 100% and calculates a "automatic_profile.mvr", where the actual madVR renderer then can read that profile and you would have your perfect settings for your current config.

If you change the graphics card, output resolution or other stuff, you would just do that again, so you would have different automatic_profiles.

"Advanced mode" would enable you to access all power features manually, like it is right now.

That would certainly make some users happy, others would still prefer to have manual access at all time, so I'm not sure if the time invested in this is worth it. I guess that most people that use madVR are kinda advanced users and know what they are doing, but it would certainly make your first steps easier.
iSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2015, 20:47   #27993  |  Link
iSunrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachs View Post
Does anyone have any programming documentations in regards to G-sync / freesync? In particular, I'm looking for a way to automatically detect if it's enabled, and what its lower limit is (30Hz at the moment for both I was told, but I'd hate to hardcode that into a player).
No programming guide, unfortunately.

However:

It seems that not only is FreeSync more flexible, but according to various CES articles, the first FreeSync monitors are limited to 40Hz at the minimum, or else they will flicker. Not sure if that's because of the pixel matrix / panel driver firmware that just isn't able to go lower, but that's the only info that I came across. More in-depth stuff seems to be still rare.

At least theoretically, 9-240Hz seems to be perfect for our needs.
iSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2015, 21:03   #27994  |  Link
e-t172

The problem madshi was referring to, I believe, is the lack of explicit G/FreeSync support in APIs (i.e. Direct3D). Frame presentation APIs were never designed with variable refresh rate in mind, and it's not clear how they can be used to achieve precise and arbitrary (custom) timing of frame presentation. It seems the only known way to do this right now is to "pretend to be slow", i.e. behave like a game that can't keep up, but madshi seems to be reluctant to go this way for various (valid) technical reasons.

In that way, I see the fact that recent Windows versions seem to explictly use G/FreeSync for video playback as a good sign, because that might mean that such APIs (or some form of clarifying documentation) are about to be released.

Last edited by e-t172; 9th January 2015 at 21:09.
e-t172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2015, 22:14   #27995  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by iSunrise View Post
However:

It seems that not only is FreeSync more flexible, but according to various CES articles, the first FreeSync monitors are limited to 40Hz at the minimum, or else they will flicker. Not sure if that's because of the pixel matrix / panel driver firmware that just isn't able to go lower, but that's the only info that I came across. More in-depth stuff seems to be still rare.
Its an AMD slide, what are you going to expect.

The reason for the minimal refresh rate is that the screen doesn't actually redraw a frame when no new frame comes in, and the old frame then "decays", which depending on screen allows a minimum of 30 to 40 fps.
Of course a theoretical upper limit of 240 fps is also just a paper stat, since we have no screens for that, and for higher resolutions we're also bandwidth limited on DP.

GSYNC has its own advantages over FreeSync that AMD is of course not going to mention. For video playback not necessarily important, but AMD doesn't have a framerate limiter when FreeSync is active, which causes tearing when your 3D application/game renders faster than the maximum screen refresh. Apparently this is even a design decision on AMDs side and not just a missing feature.

And the fact that its limited to like 2 AMD GPUs and no released screens .. well, we'll see. NVIDIA could always implement FreeSync if the market goes that way, but AMD will never implement GSYNC, so NVIDIA is somewhat in a better position here.

Last edited by nevcairiel; 9th January 2015 at 22:20.
nevcairiel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2015, 07:23   #27996  |  Link

While it has yet to be confirmed, I've seen talk that Adaptive Sync/FreeSync may have two frames of latency just like V-Sync, while G-Sync is polled at 1000Hz for a fixed overhead of 1ms.
And with G-Sync being separate hardware, it guarantees that you have the lowest latency possible. Being able to work with the display's existing processing seems detrimental from a gaming perspective.

But Adaptive Sync actually has a chance (though slim) of ending up in televisions rather than just being a thing for PC gaming monitors.
I'd prefer that NVIDIA gave us the choice of using G-Sync or Adaptive Sync displays. If G-Sync is better, surely that is what users will buy.
If Adaptive Sync is equally good at a lower price, that's good for everyone. It's not like NVIDIA is in the business of selling displays.

Last edited by 6233638; 10th January 2015 at 07:29.
6233638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2015, 13:27   #27997  |  Link
a8213711

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
can you make a screen with the different saturations plus OSD?
are you using an intel IGPU ?
I just realized that in screenshots I can't see any difference in saturation, therefore it must be my Samsung television's fault, and I don't know how to fix it.
I'm using an AMD APU.
a8213711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2015, 14:05   #27998  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by a8213711 View Post
I just realized that in screenshots I can't see any difference in saturation, therefore it must be my Samsung television's fault, and I don't know how to fix it.
I'm using an AMD APU.
did you used print screen?

and is your TV using PC mode there is a huge change your TV can't do PC mode in any other refresh rate than 60 hz (most samsung can't do this for what ever reason)so this may trigger the issue with the saturation. and if this is the case and you want to use PC mode think about 60 HZ only and smooth madVR motion.
Old 10th January 2015, 14:06   #27999  |  Link
James Freeman

NVIDIA news

Driver 347.09
Quote:
Color Range has been fixed with HDMI/DP connections, RGB Mode and YCbCr444 mode as well as 16-255 Limited Range and 0-255 Full Range options is finally available.
Yes! there is an option in the "Adjust Desktop Color Setting" menu for Limited and Full ranges.

How cool is that?
Took'em 10 years but still.... thanks.

I'll test and return in a few moments.

EDIT:

IT WORKS!!!
No restarts, no registry hacks, no nothing! Just works in a second.

Last edited by James Freeman; 10th January 2015 at 14:19.
James Freeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2015, 14:09   #28000  |  Link
khanmein

anyone please kindly help how to fixed the error? thanks. guys did u noticed when open mpc got some delay? around 2-3 sec

http://www54.zippyshare.com/v/27530580/file.html
Attached Files
File Type: txt madVR - crash report.txt (22.3 KB, 44 views)

Last edited by khanmein; 10th January 2015 at 15:51.
khanmein is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling