Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Audio encoding

Closed Thread

Old 2nd May 2008, 13:44   #4561  |  Link
crazydane

Madshi, do you know if Sonic plans to fix their DTS decoder so that it can handle DTS-HD MA 7.1 titles properly?

Alternatively, do you know if there is a libav/ffmpeg DTS decoder in the works that can replace the Sonic one that does 7.1?

Granted, there aren't that many 7.1 titles yet, but I do own 6 so far and would love to be able to play them off my media server in their full 7.1 glory. Until then, I'll bitstream them from my Panny BD30 player to my Onkyo 885 pre/pro.

And thanks again for this wonderful program!
Old 2nd May 2008, 14:23   #4562  |  Link
moshmothma

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post

There's a bug in the Haali Matroska Muxer which results in a total freeze when muxing some h264 movies. .... .... Haali knows about this problem but hasn't fixed it yet, sadly.
And others Madshi. This is exactly why we need another dshow splitter from someone who understands the issues and is willing to respond to them. Please reconsider this. No pressure though

BTW, have you ever considered writing an editing app? Seems like you have the basis of all you would need at this point. Just wondering.
Old 2nd May 2008, 14:53   #4563  |  Link
Bluestraw

I haven't seen it yet myself, but I heard promising things about this editing app due for release soon...

(sorry for going slightly OT - but the point being that I guess Madshi's skills may be better invested elsewhere!)

EDIT - oops I forgot the URL first time around!:

http://bitstreamtools.com/

Last edited by Bluestraw; 2nd May 2008 at 16:26.
Old 2nd May 2008, 23:12   #4564  |  Link
wildchild22

I have a question I have just finished spiderman2 the ac3 track I made and dts track made with eac3to are fine but the lpcm track around 35% way though goes all static and then the volume of what should be heard is very low. ( the funny thing is the ac3 and dts track are made from the wav) I am running the eac3to wav file through delay cut and I am going to re-encode again. I have tested playback on both the ps3 and also the istar mini hd 1.3 same result.
Old 3rd May 2008, 05:06   #4565  |  Link
jchappo

Madashi, I have more info regarding the bad DTS-HD to WAV conversion.

It seems that even DD+ tracks that I convert to WAV suffer from the same problem. Someone on the A-100 forum said it was related to the >2gb WAV header problem? They also said if they split the file up and then convert it, each slice plays perfect.

Any ideas? The popcorn hour A-100 passes the PCM audio directly to my receiver.

Edit: just played the WAV file by itself, it plays fine for the first 10% or so, then it sounds like people are talking in slow mo, and there is no background noise. Does this mean it is a decoder problem? It doesn't seem like eac3to is producing the same LPCM track that ships with some Bluray discs.

Last edited by jchappo; 3rd May 2008 at 05:35.
Old 3rd May 2008, 06:00   #4566  |  Link
saint-francis
too much lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLKMGK View Post
Okay, trying this on Golden Compass which appears to NOT have branching...

First I tried:
Code:
D:\Video\eac3to>eac3to x:
1) 00010.mpls, 00008.m2ts, 1:53:18
   - VC-1, 1080p24 /1.001 (16:9)
   - DTS Master Audio, English, multi-channel, 48khz
   - DTS, English, stereo, 48khz

2) 00013.mpls, 00011.m2ts, 1:53:18
   - DTS, English, multi-channel, 48khz

3) 00011.mpls, 00008.m2ts, 1:53:18
   - DTS Master Audio, English, multi-channel, 48khz
   - DTS, English, stereo, 48khz

4) 00012.mpls, 00011.m2ts, 1:53:18
   - DTS, English, multi-channel, 48khz

Fingers crossed but it seems odd that ONLY DTS is listed, that file 8 wasn't listed until I specified it, and I'm concerned that the "core" from the DTS may not give me 5.1 sound - not sure on that, anyone? Cannot watch it till it's ripped so hopefully I'll be able to see what's going on then.

Edit: Okay start looks good, I see credits at end, length is correct! Wonder what the 21Gig piece is....
Did you figure out why each is listed twice? I am tinkering with this one right now and I noticed that the first file (00008.m2ts I believe) is the main movie and the second file (00011.m2ts) is commentary with a picture in picture of extras and the like. So that is still only two movies. Why are there four listed? Also no chapters?
Old 3rd May 2008, 07:29   #4567  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by monohouse View Post
hi, I was wondering, is there a way to use the libav/ffmpeg TrueHD decoder in real time ?
There are some mplayer builds with the latest libav decoders in them, I think. But I'm not sure.

Quote:
I have demuxed the truehd track using evodemux and now wondering how to replace the FLAC I created with the truehd track that is present
I don't understand what you mean. Can you explain?

Quote:
I have a few questions: why doesn't eac3to tell the original bit-depth of the stream ? only resolution and channels
Of which stream? TrueHD? TrueHD streams have no fixed bit-depth. They are all encoded in 24bit, but some of those 24bit may be zeroed out, which would make the track lower than 24bit. eac3to shows the bitdepth of all tracks which have a fixed bitdepth.

Quote:
and can this stream be directly muxed with a video without additional operations, I understand that the use of FLAC in video is new, so I am not entirely sure if any additional procedures are required, are there any guides that explain how to handle evo+truehd ?
You're confusing me. One time you're talking about FLAC, then you're talking about TrueHD. Then you're talking about muxing and EVO. I've no idea what you really want to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydane View Post
Madshi, do you know if Sonic plans to fix their DTS decoder so that it can handle DTS-HD MA 7.1 titles properly?
I've no idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydane View Post
Alternatively, do you know if there is a libav/ffmpeg DTS decoder in the works that can replace the Sonic one that does 7.1?
Not that I knew of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moshmothma View Post
This is exactly why we need another dshow splitter from someone who understands the issues and is willing to respond to them. Please reconsider this.
No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moshmothma View Post
BTW, have you ever considered writing an editing app? Seems like you have the basis of all you would need at this point. Just wondering.
I thought about it, but I don't plan to do this. Now we have Blu-Ray which is practically perfectly cut/edited. So I don't really see the need for an editing app, anymore. It might be useful for broadcasts. But for my personal needs Blu-Ray will more and more replace broadcasts...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildchild22 View Post
I have a question I have just finished spiderman2 the ac3 track I made and dts track made with eac3to are fine but the lpcm track around 35% way though goes all static and then the volume of what should be heard is very low. ( the funny thing is the ac3 and dts track are made from the wav)
If the ac3 and dts tracks are made from the WAV play ok then probably the WAV is fine and the PS3 and Istar are at fault. As you may have heard, WAV "officially" doesn't support files bigger than 4GB. Some applications and media players even have problems with WAV files bigger than 2GB. eac3to supports >4GB WAVs (just like some other applications).

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchappo View Post
It seems that even DD+ tracks that I convert to WAV suffer from the same problem. Someone on the A-100 forum said it was related to the >2gb WAV header problem? They also said if they split the file up and then convert it, each slice plays perfect.

Any ideas? The popcorn hour A-100 passes the PCM audio directly to my receiver.

Edit: just played the WAV file by itself, it plays fine for the first 10% or so, then it sounds like people are talking in slow mo, and there is no background noise. Does this mean it is a decoder problem? It doesn't seem like eac3to is producing the same LPCM track that ships with some Bluray discs.
Please try to play the WAV file on your PC. Does it play fine there? To be honest, I'm not even sure if the PC WAV source filter supports >4GB (or >2GB) files, though. The best test would be to ask eac3to to convert the WAV file to AC3. If the final AC3 file plays fine from beginning to end then the WAV file is probably alright. The problem is most probably that all the playback software/hardware does not support WAV files this big. There's nothing I can do about it. You need to ask those people who don't support big WAV files to add support for it, if you actually have to use WAV. I'd suggest using FLAC instead, if possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saint-francis View Post
Did you figure out why each is listed twice? I am tinkering with this one right now and I noticed that the first file (00008.m2ts I believe) is the main movie and the second file (00011.m2ts) is commentary with a picture in picture of extras and the like. So that is still only two movies. Why are there four listed? Also no chapters?
Most probably those 2 with the Master Audio track in them are the real movie and the other 2 are the encodings with the PIP in them. Don't know why there are 2 of each. But it doesn't matter much. eac3to only takes the m2ts part numbers from the playlist. So it doesn't matter which of the double playlists you're using for conversion. You will only have to decide between the one with the Master Audio track and the one without.
Old 3rd May 2008, 13:17   #4568  |  Link
robena

Thanks for this great program.

I have a problem though. I am trying to demux and speedown an AC3 track from an UK Sky cap.

Here is what I get:

Code:
d:\m1\cmd\eac3to\eac3to "test.ts" 2: "test.ac3" -slowdown -384
This doesn't seem to be a valid (E-)AC3 stream.
TS, 1 video track, 0:45:05
1: h264/AVC, 1080i50 (16:9)
The source file doesn't contain a track with the number 2.
The file does have an AC3 track (stream_type = 0x81) associated with pid 0x14.

I am using version 2.44. Nero 7 is installed:

Code:
8{prob}% d:\m1\cmd\eac3to\eac3to -test
Sonic Audio Decoder (2.44.0.0) doesn't seem to be installed
Nero Audio Decoder (Nero 7 or older) works fine
Haali Media Splitter doesn't seem to be installed
Surcode DTS Encoder doesn't seem to be installed
MkvToolnix doesn't seem to be installed
Any idea?
Old 3rd May 2008, 13:21   #4569  |  Link
Beastie Boy

First run eac3to without specifying an output, eg:
Code:
d:\m1\cmd\eac3to\eac3to "test.ts"
This will list the streams with their ID numbers.

Cheers, Beastie.
Old 3rd May 2008, 13:24   #4570  |  Link
robena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beastie Boy View Post
First run eac3to without specifying an output, eg:
Code:
d:\m1\cmd\eac3to\eac3to "test.ts"
This will list the streams with their ID numbers.

Cheers, Beastie.
Thanks for the tip. I get the same error:

Code:
c8{prob}% d:\m1\cmd\eac3to\eac3to "test.ts"
TS, 1 video track, 0:45:05
1: h264/AVC, 1080i50 (16:9)
I know that there is an AC3 track. TSPE for example shows it and can play it.
Old 3rd May 2008, 13:36   #4571  |  Link
rica

Sorry in advance guys if this has been answered already:

I follow this way while demuxing my HD/BD rips:

Demux video with TSMuxer
Demux audio with EAC3to..

The first time i pulldown 23.97 with TS muxer while demuxing.
So it is sure i have to sync the audio this time.
How can i do this?

Thanks.

Last edited by rica; 3rd May 2008 at 13:39.
Old 3rd May 2008, 13:44   #4572  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by robena View Post
I have a problem though. I am trying to demux and speedown an AC3 track from an UK Sky cap.

Here is what I get:

Code:
d:\m1\cmd\eac3to\eac3to "test.ts" 2: "test.ac3" -slowdown -384
The AC3 track seems to be slightly damaged. It might be 99% alright, but if there is one wrong bit anywhere in the beginning of the AC3 stream, eac3to won't accept it. You'll have to demux the AC3 track with another tool (e.g. xport or TsMuxer) and then run the demuxed AC3 track through delaycut. delaycut will probably find something to fix. Afterwards eac3to can do the slowdown for you.

At this point in time eac3to is VERY picky about the source material. The source must be in perfect state. If there's any problem with the source, eac3to will refuse to work properly. I may improve this in a future version, but that's the way it is right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rica View Post
Sorry in advance guys if this has been answered already:

I follow this way while demuxing my HD/BD rips:

Demux video with TSMuxer
Demux audio with EAC3to..

The first time i pulldown 23.97 with TS muxer while demuxing.
So it is sure i have to sync the audio this time.
How can i do this?
I'm not sure what your question is. You're describing what you're doing. And then you're asking "how can i do this"?
Old 3rd May 2008, 13:56   #4573  |  Link
rica

Quote:

I'm not sure what your question is. You're describing what you're doing. And then you're asking "how can i do this"?
I mean audio stays matching to 29.97 fps.
The question was how i could syncronize audio to downmixed video?
Old 3rd May 2008, 14:18   #4574  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Audio is never 29.97 for a movie. Why do you think it is?
Old 3rd May 2008, 14:44   #4575  |  Link
monohouse

-----

Last edited by monohouse; 17th January 2012 at 00:41.
Old 3rd May 2008, 14:46   #4576  |  Link
Beastie Boy

madshi, your reply to robena above seems to quote a different error to the one he posted when I replied. In the post I replied to, eac3to could not detect an audio stream, whereas your quote suggests eac3to found a damaged stream.
Not sure what happened there.
robena, if eac3to cannot detect the audio that is definately there, perhaps a sample would be useful for madshi.

Cheers, Beastie.
Old 3rd May 2008, 15:02   #4577  |  Link
rica

Quote:
Audio is never 29.97 for a movie. Why do you think it is?
OK.
I used a short clip in my trial.
When i demux video and audio as is and after remux to TS,
clip takes 2:25 minutes. Audio and video matches to each other; no syncronization issue.

When i demux video to 23.97 and leave audio as is,
this time clip takes 3:05 minutes; audio and video never overlap and while video keeps playing, audio finishes at 2:25 minutes.

EDIT: Sorry, i found my mistake, i made 23.96 by manually, this created the issue.
I tried with "remove pulldown" option selected in TSMuxer; no any problem left.

Last edited by rica; 3rd May 2008 at 16:19.
Old 3rd May 2008, 16:11   #4578  |  Link
gregt

Hi,
I am unable to convert Xmen3 at all. It is the first 7 channel movie that I have run across. Here is the output:
eac3to v2.44
command line: eac3to xmen3 XMEN3.mkv -libav -core
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
M2TS, 1 video track, 5 audio tracks, 1:44:05
1: Chapters, 31 chapters
2: h264/AVC, 1080p24 /1.001 (16:9)
3: DTS Master Audio, English, 6.1 channels, 24 bits, 48khz
4: AC3, Spanish, 5.1 channels, 448kbit/s, 48khz, dialnorm: -27dB, -13ms
5: AC3, French, 5.1 channels, 448kbit/s, 48khz, dialnorm: -27dB, -13ms
6: AC3, English, 2.0 channels, 224kbit/s, 48khz, dialnorm: -27dB, -19ms
7: AC3, English, 2.0 channels, 224kbit/s, 48khz, dialnorm: -27dB, -19ms
Creating file "XMEN3 - Chapters.txt"...
[a03] The libav DTS decoder doesn't decode the 7th channel.
[a03] The libav DTS decoder doesn't decode the full DTS-HD information.
[a03] Doubling 7th channel...
[v02] Extracting video track number 2...
[a05] Extracting audio track number 5...
[a04] Extracting audio track number 4...
[a03] Extracting audio track number 3...
[a03] Extracting DTS core...
[a06] Extracting audio track number 6...
[a07] Extracting audio track number 7...
[a03] Remapping channels...
[a03] The channel modder was started with incorrect parameters.
[v02] Muxing video to Matroska...
Aborted at file position 16384.

I tried it without -libav and without -core, but to no avail.
Old 3rd May 2008, 16:47   #4579  |  Link
nautilus7

What do you want to do with audio and which audio is that? Change the command to make use of ID numbers for the tracks. E.g:

Code:
eac3to xmen3 1: xmen3.mkv 2: audio.dts -core
Old 3rd May 2008, 21:34   #4580  |  Link
Thunderbolt8

Quote:
Not sure if I've understood you correctly. eac3to already checks only those tracks you are demuxing.
so would it then be possible to adapt the gap value to those specific tracks? from what I understood its only 40ms, because an ac3 frame is 32ms, but when for example only decoding a truehd track then it should be possible to lower the gap detection to a value, which is only slightly higher than a truehd frame is, shouldnt it?

or did I understood it wrong, about those 40ms?

Last edited by Thunderbolt8; 3rd May 2008 at 21:36.
Closed Thread

Tags
eac3to