Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Avisynth Usage

Old 13th June 2007, 15:05   #81  |  Link
Ebobtron
Errant Knight

I offer an alpha. 0.0.2.0 alpha 1 - 13 June 2007

This has updated code to do properly what I could not seem to do before. (baby steps)

Those who have experienced sudden termination or crashing when attempting to use script preview F5 or the video editor F11, should see improvement. Fizick reports that it works fine (does not crash).

http://avsfilmcutter.com
http://avsfilmcutter.com/alpha.html
Thanks IanB, Leak, and of course Fizick
Ebobtron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2007, 15:56   #82  |  Link
Ebobtron
Errant Knight

avsFilmCutter version 0.0.2.0 alpha 2 - 24 June 2007 is available for download at the website.

http://avsfilmcutter.com

Thanks to IanB's generous efforts a nasty little crash has been resolved and thanks to his patient tutelage I have applied what I have learned though out the program, which resolved some more.

This is also the first version of the program that is built using M$'s new free development package (VC++ 2005), minus that damn IDE of course.

Version 2.0 beta will be open source for those it matters to.

Now, I hope I can continue work on the worlds first avisynth based NLE GUI minus 1 or 2 maybe even 3, don’t remember anymore.

Thanks all

Last edited by Ebobtron; 25th June 2007 at 21:34.
Old 21st July 2007, 21:31   #83  |  Link
Ebobtron
Errant Knight

Hello,
There is another alpha to play with while I polish the support files. www.avsfilmcutter.com

Last edited by Ebobtron; 22nd July 2007 at 12:22.
Old 28th July 2007, 00:55   #84  |  Link
Ebobtron
Errant Knight

2.0 beta is at the web site www.avsfilmcutter.com, as are the source files.

Enjoy

Rob
Old 1st August 2007, 03:39   #85  |  Link
yawoo

Just let you know that this is the best avs editor tool I have been used. Please keep working.
yawoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2007, 21:29   #86  |  Link
Ebobtron
Errant Knight

@yawoo

Thanks
ebob
Old 22nd August 2007, 18:55   #87  |  Link
anton_foy

Specific script for each clip?

Hi!

I have used avscutter just a short while and maybe the function is there but I cannot work it out.
Is it possible to use a specific .avs -script for every individual clip?

If not I personally think it would be a great feature to implement.

Great program BTW!
anton_foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2007, 20:00   #88  |  Link
Ebobtron
Errant Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by anton_foy View Post
Hi!

I have used avscutter just a short while and maybe the function is there but I cannot work it out.
Is it possible to use a specific .avs -script for every individual clip?

If not I personally think it would be a great feature to implement.
You are reading my mind
See: very early transitional documentation posted lastnight.

It is the next logical step in development and although implemented; it is fraught with small mines. This interface should be so much easier to use. I can probably post an alpha in a couple if you what to play
Quote:
Great program BTW!
Thanks

Last edited by Ebobtron; 25th August 2007 at 00:29. Reason: readability spelling
Old 22nd August 2007, 22:42   #89  |  Link
anton_foy

Whohoo!

I'd love to play with it. Since I use High Definition footage I downscale to make it easier to edit it and when finished I want to apply all the filters in the correct rez.

This ones gonna be my new favourite, it will make my work a thousand times easier!
Old 25th August 2007, 05:30   #90  |  Link
Ebobtron
Errant Knight

here is the alpha you can play with.

http://rapidshare.com/files/51649814...r21a1.zip.html
get FilmCutter21a1.zip

Latest alpha is here http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...09#post1038309
and here http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...37#post1038537

some details can be found @ http://avsfilmcutter.com/fcwebguide2a.html

oops sorry, new users will need the full 2.0 b package, here

things to look out for
  • older project files will load without rejection but will create junk, the web page above has details about how to fix them.
  • the mod marks (modification markers *) will only be reliable when editing with a single script. also filmcutter will not warn about saving the project if it is not saved.
  • the status bar will show the source file being used and the project output script when viewing your work. f8 will display the output properties of the script in use or your project script if you have clicked view project.
  • most actions you initiate will cancel what your are doing and proceed, this can cause some trouble if you are in the middle of a row edit or row insert. clicking view project will not cancel the row edit or row insert, use the cancel button, view project will mess the frame numbers in you insert or edit.
  • don't forget to save your work
  • the direct show compression manager interface is not disabled, it is also far from finished, so much minutia.
  • the command line encoding interface is still available from the script editor menu or f7. is now in the main window menu too. the source for the encoding will be the file name shown on the status bar. click the view project button and press f7
  • no wizards or genies in there, if your scripts don't have the same properties, filmcutter will only warn you when you click view project.
  • a complete output script will only show in the editor as part of the total project when the project is saved. view project shows the whole thing but for some reason the last edit will not show up in the script editor unless the project has been saved.
  • can not delete or remove source files yet, do it manually in the editor with the *.jfc files
things you can do
  • open a source file and start editing, you no longer have to create or save a project be editing or viewing your work.
  • single source editing
  • multi-source editing
  • add additional sources at any time.
  • switch between scene and script editors at will, what ever you are viewing in one you view in the other, switch in either.

Last edited by Ebobtron; 27th October 2007 at 04:44. Reason: typo & oops two ts in cutter
Old 27th August 2007, 13:31   #91  |  Link
anton_foy

@Ebobtron

I have tried the new version a while but I cannot do a few things:

1. If I want to change the in and out numbers i cannot do this after i clicked "add".

2. How do I add a new script for each clip with the "a"- button? When I click it only the source .avs is there and I cannot choose another.

3. If i want to change the order of the edited clips in the video editor i can't move them.

4. In the AVSFilmCutter generated avs-script i cannot change anything, afterwards everything is like it was before I changed it.

One good thing to implement I think would be to be able to change the AVSFilmCutter generated scripts yourself if u want to. But I thought you could do that already?

Maybe I did not do these operations the right way so please tell me

I can feel it getting more and more powerful, I am really excited about it

Last edited by anton_foy; 27th August 2007 at 13:34.
Old 27th August 2007, 16:58   #92  |  Link
Ebobtron
Errant Knight

@ anton_foy
Thanks for the feedback
Quote:
@Ebobtron

I have tried the new version a while but I cannot do a few things:

1. If I want to change the in and out numbers i cannot do this after i clicked "add".
You have many options, when you click the cutter button, which has changed for the next version.
  1. When the cutter is grayed, click the frame start or end windows. Which ever one you click will become active, the viewer and frame count window will jump to that box's numbers and the box will again follow the viewers frame counter or you can edit the numbers in the little box which is kind of messed up ( there is a neglected error in the focus management ). When done in one box click the other and then do it again if you wish. When satisfied click add.
  2. Add the scene to the list and then click on the row button to edit. Use the other mouse button while over a row button to delete the scene, insert above or below it or jump to that scenes source and the start or end frames.
  3. Preview button lights up with the add button, click it and adjust the end and start frame numbers. This is a little weak, the start and end buttons retain the original numbers. Clicking save moves the new numbers down into the scene start and end frame windows.
I have changed the cutter button's Icon style to a text button labeled to follow along the steps of frame number selection, "Set start frame", "Set end frame" and "add or cancel".
Quote:
2. How do I add a new script for each clip with the "a"- button? When I click it only the source .avs is there and I cannot choose another.
The safe way to add another source script is from the main window's menu,
Project | Add Source Script, currently if you try to use the File | Open Script File, FilmCutter changes the source script unless you have added a scene to the scene list. With a defined scene in the list use of File | Open Script File causes FilmCutter to crash ( a bug I missed in the alpha ). If you use the add Source Script it always works or seems to. I also intend to put a add button on the source list window with a delete source button.
Quote:
3. If i want to change the order of the edited clips in the video editor i can't move them.
Sorry, I must have lost the move up and move down buttons

On the list
Quote:
4. In the AVSFilmCutter generated avs-script i cannot change anything, afterwards everything is like it was before I changed it.
When you ask to view the project, FilmCutter generates the script and then loads the video viewer or loads the script into the text editors window. If you leave the text editor view or go and view a source script FilmCutter will regenerate the script and load the new one when you wish to see it again.

From the text editor, right click the mouse button while the pointer is over the text window, or the one you don't normally click things with, and choose Save Script As
Quote:
One good thing to implement I think would be to be able to change the AVSFilmCutter generated scripts yourself if u want to. But I thought you could do that already?

Maybe I did not do these operations the right way so please tell me
If I have confused you with FilmCutter's interface, you are in very good company. I didn't try to be confusing, only different. The context menu thing is to me a god send, to others a cloak. Instead of asking you to search though menus looking for a function or feature I have hidden the programs operation. If you can see it, click it, if nothing happens right click it. Next version do it again.

Another thing I am working on is the little tool tips, they can change as the user progresses though the editing steps as a reminder.
Quote:
I can feel it getting more and more powerful, I am really excited about it
Me too.

Thank you for that and thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with me.

Thank you again
Rob

Last edited by Ebobtron; 27th August 2007 at 19:29.
Old 28th August 2007, 18:50   #93  |  Link
Ebobtron
Errant Knight

@ anton_foy el at

FilmCutter21a1082807.zip dated: 27 August 2007
www.avsFilmCutter.com

this build of FilmCutter works a little better. the ability to jump from one function to another, even in mid edit, should cover most cases properly.

example:
you start to edit a row(click on a row button) but then decide to view the project first, if you forget to click cancel, FilmCutter will just cancel for you; no fuss no data loss.
the crash mentioned in the last post has been fixed.

when you are working with a project any way you open a script will add the script to the project, the exception being the single case when you may have switched to the media viewer, the use of "File | Open Media File or Script" from the video window's menu, will only load into the viewer, this allows for viewing source scripts and some media file types without trying to load an mpg file into the text editor.

prior verisons of FilmCutter required the user to save a project to get FilmCutter to generate scripts.
the user now has four ways to triger a project:
  1. add a scene to the scene list
  2. use Project | Add Source Script
  3. use Project | Save Project As
  4. open as save project

FilmCutter will eventually nag when you do something that would result in a lost of project data.

ebt

Last edited by Ebobtron; 27th October 2007 at 04:50.
Old 29th August 2007, 10:29   #94  |  Link
anton_foy

Wen I Add a new Source Script (containing only the filters I want to apply and no videosource call) the image gets a green too gray gradient all over and no picture.
If I add a videosource to the new script it works but that will just kill the whole idea of adding source scripts in the first place.

Sorry Ebobtron but the link for the new version is down.

Great work, keep me updated
Old 29th August 2007, 10:48   #95  |  Link
Ebobtron
Errant Knight

I am sorry but you may have me at a disadvantage, that being I don't understand what you wish for.
Quote:
Wen I Add a new Source Script (containing only the filters I want to apply and no videosource call) the image gets a green too gray gradient all over and no picture.
What is a source script?
Quote:
If I add a videosource to the new script it works but that will just kill the whole idea of adding source scripts in the first place.
A source script to me is one that contains a source.
Quote:
Sorry Ebobtron but the link for the new version is down.
Great work, keep me updated
here is a rapidshare link.
http://rapidshare.com/files/52002389...82807.zip.html

Last edited by Ebobtron; 29th August 2007 at 10:55.
Old 29th August 2007, 12:50   #96  |  Link
anton_foy

Sorry, I wasn't thinking right this morn...

I had forgot to copy the video source line into every new script:

mpeg2source("C:\III.d2v")

Now it is working but I think it would be easier if I did not have to use a new script for every single clip.
But maybe this will be a hard thing to do.
I was thinking more like adding a script similar to adding a preset with filters but the preset is an .avs-script (containing only the filters and the way you would like to use them).

That way you could use the source-script(only containing the footage) and later add the filters for your purpose (e.g. denoise, saturation, sharpening or whatever) in different .avs scripts.

Confusing? It is hard to explain in writing for me, if you want
I can maybe show in a more visual approach.

Another idea I had was to put the filters directly in the AVSFilmCutters generated script like this:

Va = Import("C:\CUT.avs")

t01 = trim(Va,25,112)
Levels(0, .56, 255, 0, 255)
converttoyuy2(true)

t02 = trim(Va,424,695)
AddGrain(15,0)
converttoyuy2(true)

t03 = trim(Va,1049,1263)
Levels(0, .30, 255, 0, 255)
converttoyuy2(true)

t01++t02++t03
Old 1st September 2007, 04:02   #97  |  Link
Ebobtron
Errant Knight

@ anton_foy
For the continued feedback.
I had composed this long answer that now seems preachy in my current state of mind. So I don't think boring you to death with my philosophy of script writing is an appropriate way to say thanks.

The bad news is that there are many ways to approach script writing.
The good news is that there are many ways to approach script writing.

Where to put filters depends on the filters and where the final result is going. Opinions on this will vary widely, depending of course on the filter. I think that most would agree that cutting and splicing at the very end of the script should cause the least amount of grief.
Looking at your example:
Quote:
Originally Posted by anton_foy
Code:
Va = Import("C:\CUT.avs")

t01 = trim(Va,25,112).Levels(0, .56, 255, 0, 255).converttoyuy2(true)
t02 = trim(Va,424,695).AddGrain(15,0).converttoyuy2(true)
t03 = trim(Va,1049,1263).Levels(0, .30, 255, 0, 255).converttoyuy2(true)

t01++t02++t03
Will work just as well as:
Code:
Va = Import("C:\CUT.avs").converttoyuy2(true)

t01 = trim(Va,25,112).Levels(0, .56, 255, 0, 255)
t02 = trim(Va,424,695).AddGrain(15,0)
t03 = trim(Va,1049,1263).Levels(0, .30, 255, 0, 255)

t01++t02++t03
Only the frames called would be converted, so you gain nothing converting only the frames you output, but it does not hurt anything, I think.
If FilmCutter could be taught to treat every group of frames defined as a unique object that is then modified by the group of filters defined for that object.

That is a little ambitious for me and out of the current structure, though not completely impossible.

As far as filter presets, look at creating user functions that are stacks of your favorite filters for a given task. Or write your own script templates.

If some of your concern is the way some filters really can make real-time editing a painfully slow thing to endure. Those filters can be disabled manually with the # comment thingy or you can do the following:
Create and put in the AviSynth plug-in folder a *.avsi with the following line in it.

FCFilterEnable = False

Then use the following code in all of your source scripts.

Code:
FCFilterEnable = True
function filters(clip c)
{  c  
   # place your video processing filters starting on the next line
   AddGrain(15,0)
   Levels() 

return (FCFilterEnable) ? last : c
}
Filters
When you begin your frame or scene editing with FilmCutter comment out "FCFilterEnable = True" the false definition in the avsi file will kill your filters, when done put "FCFilterEnable = True" at the top of the script FilmCutter writes for you and all the filters will be enabled in all of the source scripts for sending to an encoder.
This is easy to mess up but can work very well. As long as the method of implementation was locked down firm, FilmCutter could rewrite the avsi or add the necessary enabling line in the script.
The options for automating filter placement and tweaking is better left to AvsP, that is why I put the buttons that launch external programs next to the editor.
So much for the non boring reply.

My reason for the multiple source interface is two fold, a multiple document editor is more useful that a single editor( notepad ++ is a good example and once I work out its relationship to the project implementation I will implement that as well. The other reason for the multiple source support is a multiple camera support idea I have where with the satellite video windows that are now kind of a waste can contain a separate source synchronized to some main source where FilmCutter does the keeping track of all the frame offsets, this is why the editor needs to be very freewheeling.

How some last minute hype. The next release of FilmCutter will have, besides dissolves and fades, "wipes"; thanks to a mask transition function, that stickboy wrote.

Now doesn't that just leave you wanting more.

If you wish to share your ideas in any way, I am up for a listen or look and learn.

Rob

Last edited by Ebobtron; 1st September 2007 at 04:04.
Old 13th September 2007, 14:26   #98  |  Link
anton_foy

Hi again Ebobtron and everyone!!

What if I want to encode as Quicktime using the QTOutput("C:\vid.mov") -command?

Since Im editing in HD I don't like to export as uncompressed avi and then re-export it as QT in Vdub.

Thanks

Last edited by anton_foy; 13th September 2007 at 14:37.
Old 13th September 2007, 22:10   #99  |  Link
Ebobtron
Errant Knight

@anton_foy,
hello back at you
Quote:

What if I want to encode as Quicktime using the QTOutput("C:\vid.mov") -command?
? Ok, what is preventing this ?

If you are questioning if this works ? The answer is yes.

Add your QtOutput() statement to the bottom of the " *_fcprj.avs " file avsFilmCutter writes for you. Of course don't forget that QtOutput doesn't like YV12, FilmCutter will pass AviSynth's objections to you if you forget. Once you have added the QtOutput() statement press F6 to begin the encode.

There is a nigyysob however. Before FilmCutter loads a script into the viewer it opens an interface to AviSynth, which tests your script for errors and grabs a handful or two of script properties. When using a plug-in like QtSource, Tmonitor or SoundOut that have a dialog, GUI popup, interface, the interface window will open during the test before loading into the viewer. With Tmonitor or SoundOut they vanish as quickly as they show because their interfaces are available for use but require no immediate interaction with the user.

QtOut() on the other hand can require setup before it allows the process to continue. Therefore the first dialog window OtOut() will pop will be ignored because as soon as you click the OK button the script is closeed and then opened with the viewer which will pop the interface dialog window again.

If you are instead suggesting a suffix option for statements that could be added at the end of the projects output script? This is on the list although it has been way down, somewhere on the list. It would kind of become a menu item similar to a "Finalize and Save Script" kind of thing.
Quote:
Since Im editing in HD I don't like to export as uncompressed avi and then re-export it as QT in Vdub.

Thanks
Again I am not sure about the question. Why export avi from FilmCutter, just load the scirpt into VDub. Those big buttons on the side of the script editor are there just for that purpose.
Thanks I hadn’t paid much attention to QuickTime plug-in by tateu http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...774#post753774 wish it had sound options. Or did I miss something?

ebob
Old 27th October 2007, 14:30   #100  |  Link
Ebobtron
Errant Knight

Hello,
The results of my latest brain storm or brain fart () is ready to share (maybe). An unofficial alpha version FilmCutter21a2_102707.zip
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebobtron View Post

If FilmCutter could be taught to treat every group of frames defined as a unique object that is then modified by the group of filters defined for that object.

That is a little ambitious for me and out of the current structure, though not completely impossible.
I quote myself to remind some of you about my remark as FilmCutter now does indeed maintain scene information as an array of class objects. The difference in implementation is subtle, but the power and flexibility is kind of wow. No provisions have yet been made to address the idea of a clip based filter stack as suggested by anton_foy, but now the option is possible.
Having all scene data as an array of objects makes the idea of a GUI time-line much easier to wrap my head around. This new interface, although functional, seems overly simple and maybe even crude. I remember telling Fizick that I would rather purchase him a copy of Premiere than write this kind of code. Maybe I should have left it at that, but I like to learn new things or at least experiment with new things. I did prove to myself that this kind of programming is frustrating if not difficult. I am not crying the old “poor me” thing, I have just gained a new respect for the people that write things like this. The frustration is the hours of work and the dorky looking result or if not dorky, at least unsatisfying result.

So let me wring out the crying towel and get back to announcing the new updated look for the web pages.
Oops, sorry, could not resist.

A new alpha is indeed available for download and I changed the web page look. I mentioned that I believe the time line interface is a little crude. Once worked out it will be no trouble to add a sound track interface to the timeline which is the end goal.

So I need your help, please, go ahead complain all you want. I’m suffering a brain freeze and could use some fresh ideas. Like what color should clips cells really be and how about a color when highlighted. I am sure someone out there knows how those clever little audio waveform graphics are done.

www.avsfilmcutter.com/alpha.html has some details and snaps.

thanks for looking in