Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 11th March 2016, 00:24   #36801  |  Link
Manni

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyuzakiL View Post
Has anyone tried the latest Crimson driver 16.3 on Win10x64, MadVR?

and does MadVR work properly on Win10x64? or is it still Win8.1 that MadVR works perfectly.
I have tested Crimson 16.3 on 8.1 x64 tonight quickly and it seems to be working fine (see my sig for detailed config).

The white crush in 3D seems to be improves, now it does resolve up to 231-232, so it's not too bad, but still not as good as with 14.12.

My only issue is that I get a crash of MPC-BE almost everytime the first time I launch a movie. Second time works fine. It appeared relatively recently but I haven't been able to trace which version of MadVR or MPC-BE introduced this.

It could be a Crimson issue (but not 16.32 specific, I had it earlier), I still have to try to revert to 14.12 to see if it goes away, but as it means I'd lose 3D support with LAV/MadVR, which I really like, I'd rather try to find a solution. There is no error message or crash dump, so debugging isn't easy.

Otherwise all seems fine.
Denon X8500HA>HD Fury VRRoom>TCL 55C805K
Manni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2016, 02:39   #36802  |  Link
aufkrawall

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
and that powerstate is the highes possible so it can help here.
Unfortunately, you can't do anything if the driver refuses to cange the p-state due to a bug that makes it stuck.
aufkrawall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2016, 02:46   #36803  |  Link
RyuzakiL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manni View Post
I have tested Crimson 16.3 on 8.1 x64 tonight quickly and it seems to be working fine (see my sig for detailed config).

The white crush in 3D seems to be improves, now it does resolve up to 231-232, so it's not too bad, but still not as good as with 14.12.

My only issue is that I get a crash of MPC-BE almost everytime the first time I launch a movie. Second time works fine. It appeared relatively recently but I haven't been able to trace which version of MadVR or MPC-BE introduced this.

It could be a Crimson issue (but not 16.32 specific, I had it earlier), I still have to try to revert to 14.12 to see if it goes away, but as it means I'd lose 3D support with LAV/MadVR, which I really like, I'd rather try to find a solution. There is no error message or crash dump, so debugging isn't easy.

Otherwise all seems fine.
Yep I also updated my drivers to the latest AMD Crimson 16.3 coming from the last AMD CCC under Win 8.1 and surprised with the performance it brings with my games (Shadow of Mordor).

BUT AMD Crimson enables my Crossfire when it detects MadVR (Wasting power on the 2nd GPU) unlike the old AMD CCC which it continues to use Single GPU only.

So that being said it's another round of compromises but this time, I might stick on using the latest AMD Crimson since I get higher frame rates on my games.

I wonder how it handles under Win.10, I heard scary stories on that Spying OS and the Last time I used it with MadVR It doesn't like Fullscreen Exclusive Mode and leads to dropped frames and CTD's
RyuzakiL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2016, 04:30   #36804  |  Link
RyuzakiL

Disable ITC and Enable GPU Scaling AMD Crimson

So I stumble about these 2 settings in AMD Crimson and I read about disabling ITC processing and enabling GPU Scaling bypasses the display processor entirely so ergo eliminating redundant conversions by the HDTV's processor since it was bypassed.

and also by doing this you're letting the GPU itself to do all the video processing and eliminating the HDTV to do redundant conversions, also it gives the fastest refresh and best fps in games when bypassing the display processor.
RyuzakiL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2016, 06:48   #36805  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyuzakiL View Post
disabling ITC processing and enabling GPU Scaling bypasses the display processor entirely so ergo eliminating redundant conversions by the HDTV's processor
never seen any diff with mVR using 13.12 in 8bit
leeperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2016, 08:48   #36806  |  Link
Uoppi

Quote:

and nvidia deint was kind of "broken" the last time i check and had issue with telecine/hybrid content.
Do you mean cadence detection? I see occasional cadence breaks with animated 3:2 content (Ren & Stimpy) but with movie content (Cronenberg's Crash), IVTC seems to work just fine, i.e. looks like cadence is consistently detected.
Uoppi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2016, 09:02   #36807  |  Link
DragonQ

Quote:
amd crimson deint is simply broken it is using a low quality bob. i haven't tested the newest beta yet.

and nvidia deint was kind of "broken" the last time i check and had issue with telecine/hybrid content. the high quality CUVID deint is not usable at all under windows 10.
Yeah I had to switch back to Catalyst because deinterlacing is completely buggered with Crimson. I couldn't even find a link to Catalyst on AMD's website so had to download an old beta version then run the updater to bring it up to date. I'm amazed a bug with such a simple fix (i.e. change the default deinterlacing method to vector adaptive) hasn't been fixed yet.
Old 11th March 2016, 09:56   #36808  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeperry View Post
never seen any diff with mVR using 13.12 in 8bit
older driver than 14.something are always outputting 10 bit if the device supports that (and i haven't seen a TV that doesn't support 12 bit input) regardless of the input bit deep. which is hopefully just adding some 0 zeros and nothing else but you got an extra conversation step with older driver.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2016, 10:00   #36809  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uoppi View Post
Do you mean cadence detection? I see occasional cadence breaks with animated 3:2 content (Ren & Stimpy) but with movie content (Cronenberg's Crash), IVTC seems to work just fine, i.e. looks like cadence is consistently detected.
it was really bad when lavfilter added w3fdif in the nightlies i haven't check it again. could be ok now.
Old 11th March 2016, 17:53   #36810  |  Link
James Freeman

madshi, I don't know what algorithm you used to remap the HDR content to SDR but according to the ST.2084 standard everything under 100nit should be exactly the same as in the SDR.
Do you think it is the right time to discuss light output, gamma curves remapping, color space remapping, etc?
Old 11th March 2016, 17:55   #36811  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Freeman View Post
madshi, I don't know what algorithm you used to remap the HDR content to SDR but according to the ST.2084 standard everything under 100nit should be exactly the same as in the SDR.
I'm sure he has read the appropriate specifications.
Old 11th March 2016, 18:01   #36812  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

Quote:
older driver than 14.something are always outputting 10 bit if the device supports that (and i haven't seen a TV that doesn't support 12 bit input) regardless of the input bit deep. which is hopefully just adding some 0 zeros and nothing else but you got an extra conversation step with older driver.
Fair enough but did anyone run benchmarks with mVR between 13.12 and newer ones? Unkeen on wasting hours to lose 10% performance.
Old 11th March 2016, 18:05   #36813  |  Link
James Freeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
I'm sure he has read the appropriate specifications.
Well, I am sure too, but It does not look like the content below 100nit keeps the same light output level, it changes with the "HDR Peak Luminance" setting in madVR.
I don't doubt madshi's decisions about the remapping algorithm for a second, that is why I asked if it is the right time to talk about the whole HDR to SDR remapping issue so that madshi will be open to suggestions.
Old 11th March 2016, 18:42   #36814  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeperry View Post
Fair enough but did anyone run benchmarks with mVR between 13.12 and newer ones? Unkeen on wasting hours to lose 10% performance.
i don't know about the performance difference and i don't need to max out my GPU when i'm using madVR but i need the new driver.
Old 11th March 2016, 19:00   #36815  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Freeman View Post
Well, I am sure too, but It does not look like the content below 100nit keeps the same light output level, it changes with the "HDR Peak Luminance" setting in madVR.
I don't doubt madshi's decisions about the remapping algorithm for a second, that is why I asked if it is the right time to talk about the whole HDR to SDR remapping issue so that madshi will be open to suggestions.
None of these HDR standards really define a way to convert them to SDR, so you can't judge any behavior thats supposed to happen on a HDR display when converted to SDR.
Just judge if it looks good - which it certainly does.

PS:
I don't see anything concerning "content below 100nits" in SMPTE ST 2084 in any case. Its literally just an equation to convert non-linear (gamma) to linear.

Last edited by nevcairiel; 11th March 2016 at 19:07.
nevcairiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2016, 21:49   #36816  |  Link
RenderGuy2

I'm really excited about the recent 3D/MVC developments! Huge thank you to Madshi and Nevcairiel. The only problem I seem to have is that subtitles are not rendered with depth. Source is 3D Blu-ray. Playing the disc with TMT6 results in the subtitles being displayed with varying amounts of (usually negative) parallax. With MadVR subtitles are always at the screen plane. I'm currently using MadVR 0.90.15 and Lav 0.68.0-2.
RenderGuy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2016, 22:00   #36817  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Just a quick reply to this. I'll reply to the other posts in detail in the next 2 days.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenderGuy2 View Post
I'm really excited about the recent 3D/MVC developments! Huge thank you to Madshi and Nevcairiel. The only problem I seem to have is that subtitles are not rendered with depth. Source is 3D Blu-ray. Playing the disc with TMT6 results in the subtitles being displayed with varying amounts of (usually negative) parallax. With MadVR subtitles are always at the screen plane. I'm currently using MadVR 0.90.15 and Lav 0.68.0-2.
Subtitle 3D depth should work just fine with XySubFilter. Or if you're using the MPC-HC/BE internal subtitle renderer, you need to update to the latest MPC-HC/BE nightly build.
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2016, 22:57   #36818  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

Quote:
i don't know about the performance difference and i don't need to max out my GPU when i'm using madVR but i need the new driver.
higher perfs = higher efficiency = lower power consumption = cheaper energy bill
Old 12th March 2016, 00:59   #36819  |  Link
aufkrawall

I compared madVR's current super-xbr implementation with Shiandow's latest for MPDN.

Images with 200% super-xbr scaling:

madVR:

Shiandow's:

When watched very closely or with some magnification, madVR shows less aliasing.
But I guess this is due to the tweaked parameters by Hilian, and not because of his improved anti-ringing filter. I think there's not such a case where the anti-ringing filter would remove actual details in a crucial way.
I'd really like to see how the improved deband filter behaves without the other tweaked parameters. Then we'd know for sure.
aufkrawall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2016, 01:16   #36820  |  Link
Hyllian

Yes, the new params slightly add aliasing. Madshi already had spot that when I showed to him and that's the reason he didn't incorporate in madVR.

Other than that, I think the new params improves in fine details, like pixel art, subtitles, etc.

If Shiandow prefer to get rid of all aliasing, he can reverse the changes or add then as an option.
Hyllian is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling