Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-2 Encoding

Old 5th December 2003, 17:26   #1  |  Link
Lucius Snow

Speed problem with a frameserver

Hello all,

I export my video from Vegas 4.0e to CCE SP 2.67 by using the Pluginpac frameserver by Debugmode.

By encoding a hour of video, with 3 VBR passes and a bitrate average of 8 MBit/s, it took me around 37 hours ! The plugin running in Vegas indicates around 2,80 frame / sec and CCE SP, a speed of around 0,11 only.

I just did another test by taking a very short sample. If i go from Vegas to CCE SP by passing by Pluginpac, the speed goes around 0,40. The same video file encoded directly in CCE SP software goes around 0,80. Some other tests confirmed me the speed is always twice faster.

What's wrong with the frameserver ?
Is there another frameserver to export to CCE SP from Vegas ?

My configuration :
Athlon Thunderbird 1,4 GHz
256 MB (DDR PC2100)
XP

Thanks for helping.

P.S : I already asked in Debugmode forum but no reply.
Lucius Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2003, 19:27   #2  |  Link
satishkumr

Frameserving is always slower than directly specifying an AVI file in your encoder. This is because while frameserving your video editing software (Vegas in this case) has to render each frame and then the frameserver passes it to the encoder (CCE). So you have 2 extra steps (rendering & the frame server plugin) on top of directly giving the AVI file.

What you have to test is to render the full proj in vegas as uncompressed AVI, and then giving that as input to CCE. Add the total time. Then try frameserving the project to CCE directly from Vegas and find the time. This is the fair comparison.

Still, i take your info and i am trying to see if something can be optimized in the loop.
Old 9th December 2003, 19:53   #3  |  Link
Lucius Snow

If i render to uncompressed AVI, it'll take too much space. Since i work on 1-2 hours films, i can't do that :/
Old 9th December 2003, 22:56   #4  |  Link
DDogg
Retired, but still around

Quote:
If i render to uncompressed AVI, it'll take too much space. Since i work on 1-2 hours films, i can't do that :/
No, but maybe you can just use a smaller segment and do the test for satishkumr and post the results. Just use 15-30 minutes worth. No need to do the whole enchilada. You have the authors attention so grab dat ball and run
DDogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2003, 23:10   #5  |  Link
Lucius Snow

Well i already gave my results anyway. There's a factor of 2.

Quote:
I just did another test by taking a very short sample. If i go from Vegas to CCE SP by passing by Pluginpac, the speed goes around 0,40. The same video file encoded directly in CCE SP software goes around 0,80. Some other tests confirmed me the speed is always twice faster.