Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > DVD burning
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 23rd October 2002, 04:36   #1  |  Link
thxtof
DVD-R Terminator

Be aware: MERITLINE = CDRDVDRMEDIA = SUPERMEDIASTORE !!!!

These 3 stores are operated by the same company:

99% of the products are the same, pictures of the product are the same, they are all three "yahoo stores" with "top service" -- give me a break... and their address are almost the same. They all of them send you a "weekly sale" on Monday. What do you need more ??

CDRDVDRMEDIA.com
16666 East Johnson Drive, Suite A
Hacienda Heights, CA 91745

MERITLINE.com
16666 East Johnson Dr.
City of Industry, CA 91745

SUPERMEDIASTORE (4 miles away)
222 S 5th Ave.
La Puente, CA 91746

Even the links are the almost the same !!!
Check it out
http://shop.store.yahoo.com/meritline/kilwateldet.html
http://shop.store.yahoo.com/supermed...wateldet1.html
http://shop.store.yahoo.com/cdrdvdrm...lwateldet.html

And last but not least their web is maintained by the same company http://www.designing2web.com/comptreecn/index_web4.htm

Not convinced yet ?
Old 23rd October 2002, 05:30   #2  |  Link
thxtof
DVD-R Terminator

OK I pushed the investigation a 'bit further... With the help of my wife who translated the following chinese page:

http://www.designing2web.com/comptreecn/

www.supermediastore.com, www.meritline.com, www.cdrdvdrmedia.com, www.ihealthtree.com are all operated by COMPTREECN.

Comptreencn (www.comptree.net) is trying to dominate the market for DVD-R and other electronic goods in North America, Asia and Europe. They have branches all over the world.

In China they own a company (in Nanjing) responsible to maintain the B2B platform used by their other branches: supermediastore, meritline, cdrdvdrmedia and ihealthtree.
This company is also in charge of designing/maintaining the different websites.

As I said several times all 3 companies are owned by the same and powerful international enterprise: COMPTREECN (headquarters are in LA)

That's all folks, end of the mystery

@atreides, may be you should make this thread sticky, to warn existing and futur buyers !!!

Really scary

Last edited by thxtof; 23rd October 2002 at 06:12.
thxtof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2002, 06:35   #3  |  Link
atreides93

Excellent work!!!

Now I know which stores to avoid.
atreides93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2002, 00:32   #4  |  Link
Nogami

Interesting, but...

Meritline deals in media from a lot of different manufacturers - they don't just sell their own stuff.

I havn't had any problems with the company itself - all of my orders have arrived intact and on-time.

The initial order of purple DVD-Pro blanks (1x) I got about a year ago had pretty dodgy quality control. The silver-topped ones (1x) I purchased 6 months later were somewhat better, but still dropouts near the outer edge.

I just received their "sampler" pack of 12 blanks - 2 each of 6 different brands. I'm going to run some tests and see what happens.

N.
Nogami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2002, 00:55   #5  |  Link
vw671

I've made 3 orders so far from CDRDVDRMEDIA and I am 100% happy with them. All of my orders shipped the next day or the SAME day! On the last order I called to cancel my order so I could change the quanity of the order so I could get a better price. The person was very friendly and helpful, and even called me back to give me an update. I can't speak for the other stores but I will order from CDRDVDRMEDIA again.
vw671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2002, 02:22   #6  |  Link
coby

Interesting. But so far I have to say I'm 100% happy with orders from both CDRDVDRMEdia and Supermediastore. Although they may be the same company, its apparent from their web pages that their price structures differ slightly, at least in terms of what size/price/shipping combinations they advertise.
coby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2002, 03:54   #7  |  Link
DirtyAbdul
"Free your mind..."

hahaha, nice work thxtof -- and muchas gracias to your wife!

i ordered a pack of 25 accus from meritline to test their dvd-r's. their accus arrived two days ago and were ritek g03s. ADVDInfo shows:

00 42 00 00 01 40 C1 FD 9E D8 50 00 02 79 0E 0B .B...@....P..Y..
FE FF 80 00 03 52 49 54 45 4B 47 00 04 30 33 00 .....RITEKG..03.

BUT -- and that's a BIG but: i have the impression that those accus were b-grade material. why? well, take a look at the attached picture:

1. black arrows: that is NOT paint, it's actually some drop of resin on the surface of the dvd that is ELEVATED!

2. blue arrows: those are entrapped AIR BUBBLES! the HUMUNGOUS cross-hatched area only depicts an air bubble that was on a different dvd-r that i already tossed away!

3. the red arrows show the edge of the dvd-r: it's a smooth, but irregular wave-like pattern created obviously by excessive polymerized resin. the red line next to the edge should demonstrate what i mean.

4. not shown: most of the dvd-r's have very light regular scratches on the RECORDING surface like after you would try to clean a surface with a cloth. obviously, my scanner couldn't catch those details.

sorry for the dust and the quality of my scan (although an epson perfection 1200U photo), but even my digital camera (and it's a SLR canon d30!) couldn't capture more details than already presented. all accus showed one or more flaws like the one i described.

i also found out that those accus didn't like 2x burning (1 successful burn out of 8!), although burning at 1x was fine. the ritek g03's that i received from hypermicro.com were of EXCELLENT quality: no dust, no scratches, no air bubbles, and better 2x compatiblity. ADVDInfo was slightly different:

00 42 00 00 01 40 C1 FD 9E D8 50 00 02 37 0E 0B .B...@....P..7..
FE FF 80 00 03 52 49 54 45 4B 47 00 04 30 33 00 .....RITEKG..03.

i think because of the uneven distribution of resin on the accus, 2x seems to cause jittering of the disc (just my opinion).

anyway, the bottom line is simple: I WILL NEVER AGAIN BUY FROM MERITLINE.COM OR CDRDVDRMEDIA.COM OR SUPERMEDIASTORE!!! they might be a few bucks cheaper, but i will gladly support vendors who are committed to good customer service!!!

meritline only confirms their reputation (also see thread "Meritline.com account suspended" http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=36023), and i would like to warn all newbies and potential customers to save themselves some severe headaches with bad companies!!! pooh, now you have been warned

any input is gladly appreciated!

DA

edit: i tried to upload the scan, but somehow it doesn't seem to work... will try again

edit2: ok, now this is ridiculous! if you want to see the scan, please follow this link: http://www.geocities.com/dirtyabdul/Accu_DVD-Rs.html
Asus P4C800 Deluxe mobo; P4 2.8E GHz (o/c'ed to 3.2 GHz); Zalman CNPS7000A-Cu heatsink; 1 GB DDR-4200; 431 W PSU (EnerMax EG465P-VE); ATI AIW Radeon 9800Pro w/ Arctic VGA Silencer v2; 80 GB (Maxtor 6 L080L4), 40 GB (WD400BB-32BSA0); Samsung 160 GB (SP1614N); 2x160 GB (ST3160023A) as RAID-1; Nec DVD+/-RW ND2500A (Firmware 1.06 RPC-1); Lite-On SOHC-5232K; Antec (SLK-3000AMB); Windows XP SP1

Laptop Sager NP5660:
1.8 P4, 1600x1200 TFT w/ ATI Radeon Mobility 9000, 512 MB, 60 GB HDD (5400 RPM), DVD/CD-RW Teac DW224E, D-Link AirPlus DWL-650+ (802.11b WiFi), external Pioneer DVR-105 (Firmware 1.30 RPC-1) via IEEE-1394

Last edited by DirtyAbdul; 24th October 2002 at 04:15.
DirtyAbdul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2002, 06:14   #8  |  Link
thxtof
DVD-R Terminator

Your Ritek G3 is very different from the other Riteks G3... It reminds me the TDKG02 story.

The "real" Ritek G3 has a very dark purple dye, and C1-XXXXXXXX written on the disk.

The one you got really looks like B-grade crap DVD
How can they sell crap like that ??
Old 24th October 2002, 06:28   #9  |  Link
thxtof
DVD-R Terminator

For the "fun" I sent the following email to:
1)sales@meritline.com
2)sales@cdrdvdrmedia.com
3)sales@supermediastore.com

Hello,
I noticed that 2 other websites are very similar to yours,
and I was wondering if these 2 websites were somehow
related ?

cdrdvdrmedia.com
meritline.com

Thanks,
-Chris

... And I got 2 answers:

1) Supermediastore: a very short answer in a perfect English

these two webside are not belong to us
-- complete lie

2) Cdrdvdrmedia:

Dear Chris:
Thanks for your letter. Meritline.com is related to our store, but
supermediastore.com is not.
Regards
cdrdvdrmedia.com

-- half a lie, well with the exact same address for Meritline and cdrdvdrmedia difficult to lie on this one.

3) Meritline: no answer ... They are probably still mad at me to have reported their fraud to ebay

Personnaly I would not buy from a company that tells lies after lies, charge a credit card and never ship anything, sell crap stuff, never answer your emails when you return deffective merchandise, etc etc.

Of course sometimes everything goes fine, and there are some people happy. But the reality is that more & more of us are not satisfied with their bad customer service ... next time you could be the victim

Last edited by thxtof; 24th October 2002 at 07:04.
thxtof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2002, 06:48   #10  |  Link
DirtyAbdul
"Free your mind..."

CRAPPY ACCU DVD-Rs...

Quote:
Originally posted by thxtof
Your Ritek G3 is very different from the other Riteks G3... It reminds me the TDKG02 story.

The "real" Ritek G3 has a very dark purple dye, and C1-XXXXXXXX written on the disk.

The one you got really looks like B-grade crap DVD
How can they sell crap like that ??
thxtof:

1. i have "both" riteks and they both have the SAME color. the color discrepancy in the dye is due to the scanning light . sorry!

2. my "real" riteks (although i think both are real) from hypermicro.com DOES have C1-xxxxxxx written on the inner side of the ring . but that's why i presented two different ADVDInfo IDs.

i agree with you: it's CRAP -- MUCHAS CRAPPOLO! but i won't ask for a refund or whatever b/c it's just a pain in the butt for me to do all the work (and i am in a position where i can tolerate such loss ).

did somebody else make similar experiences like me???

FELLOW READERS! BE WARNED!

DA

ps: your emails to those three stores are indeed provocative. i like that
Asus P4C800 Deluxe mobo; P4 2.8E GHz (o/c'ed to 3.2 GHz); Zalman CNPS7000A-Cu heatsink; 1 GB DDR-4200; 431 W PSU (EnerMax EG465P-VE); ATI AIW Radeon 9800Pro w/ Arctic VGA Silencer v2; 80 GB (Maxtor 6 L080L4), 40 GB (WD400BB-32BSA0); Samsung 160 GB (SP1614N); 2x160 GB (ST3160023A) as RAID-1; Nec DVD+/-RW ND2500A (Firmware 1.06 RPC-1); Lite-On SOHC-5232K; Antec (SLK-3000AMB); Windows XP SP1

Laptop Sager NP5660:
1.8 P4, 1600x1200 TFT w/ ATI Radeon Mobility 9000, 512 MB, 60 GB HDD (5400 RPM), DVD/CD-RW Teac DW224E, D-Link AirPlus DWL-650+ (802.11b WiFi), external Pioneer DVR-105 (Firmware 1.30 RPC-1) via IEEE-1394
Old 24th October 2002, 15:47   #11  |  Link
rufusrex

I so far have been happy with CDRDVDRmedia. I previously ordered accus twice from them and received LEAD D..ATA. Both were 25 packs and I had not a single bad disk in both packs. My last order was 200 accus, and I like Dirty Abdul, received RITEK G03 (dark purple). They were packed in individual spindles of 25. I didn't notice any flaws like Dirty Abdul had but I only opened one pack. So far I'm 3 for 3 burning these. I'll look at them more closely when I get home tonight.

Dirty Abdul - Did all the blanks have defects like the one in the scan? I'm only burning at 1X so maybe that's why I've had better "luck"? Sorry for your bad experience, I know in a previous post I mentioned my good luck with Accu so I feel a little responsible.
rufusrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2002, 22:09   #12  |  Link
atreides93

By the way, just so you guys know. I had previously ordered dvd-r's from meritline for about 3 months in a row without any problems. I ordered about 5 times....its only the last two orders that have been totally screwed. its like they got rid of someone who knows what they were doing and now they got fools handling shipping.
atreides93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2002, 02:41   #13  |  Link
DirtyAbdul
"Free your mind..."

Quote:
Originally posted by rufusrex
I so far have been happy with CDRDVDRmedia. I previously ordered accus twice from them and received LEAD D..ATA. Both were 25 packs and I had not a single bad disk in both packs. My last order was 200 accus, and I like Dirty Abdul, received RITEK G03 (dark purple). They were packed in individual spindles of 25. I didn't notice any flaws like Dirty Abdul had but I only opened one pack. So far I'm 3 for 3 burning these. I'll look at them more closely when I get home tonight.

Dirty Abdul - Did all the blanks have defects like the one in the scan? I'm only burning at 1X so maybe that's why I've had better "luck"? Sorry for your bad experience, I know in a previous post I mentioned my good luck with Accu so I feel a little responsible.
rufusrex:

the "resin drops" (which btw are on the NON-recording surface) are on a few of them, but the fine scratches and wave-like edges are nearly on all of them. also, usually you would expect that a spindle that comes brand new and shrink-wrapped shouldn't have dust... well, the ones that i ordered from hypermicro are SINGLE and in INDIVIDUAL sleeves and have LESS dust than those accus!

but please, don't feel responsible for a good intention! i absolutely appreciate your input! it's not your mistake and i don't hold any grudge against you. we're having a discussion here to explore the range of quality that a company offers. and obviously, the range is from "excellent" to "down-earth sh*tty." so, there will be winners and losers (and i was on the wrong side ). but that's what you get when you gamble...

anyway, i received my P..Y RITEKG..03 from shop4tech today (primedisc 100-pack on spindle), and upon visual inspection, they certainly excel the accus by far, although the edges also exhibit some wave-like (and smooth) patterns. the inner ring has C1-xxxxxxxx imprinted (compared to accus with E5-xxxxxxx). so far, my unbranded tdk (burns at 2x -- bought from supermediastore a while ago) still have the best quality with absolutely no flaws (oh yes, one flaw: expensive )!

DA

Laptop Sager NP5660:
Old 10th November 2002, 18:53   #14  |  Link
Antimon
A lil bit of everything

I don't know fi readign thsi has helped me or further confused me :-)

The range fo ustomer service is likly to vary amoung any store, but it sounds liek the bad is relaly bad ....

all i want is cheap, reliable media :-) Circut city and bust buy etc are over rpiced and never offer packs fo mor ethen 5 ...i was goign to check out supermediastore.....and likly still will, but what are the alternatives? maybe we should compile a new sticky thread, all media website stores found and have peopel rate them on cust service, price and media quality with web address to help inform people?
Antimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2002, 19:32   #15  |  Link
Antimon
A lil bit of everything

Damn they *supermediastore* sure do chareg an arm and a leg for shipping, sheesh

Well just ordered a 25 pack of ritek discs, lets see what *and when* i get
Old 19th November 2002, 22:17   #16  |  Link
Chain

Personally I have ordered from both CDRDVDRMedia and SuperMediaStore and have recieved excellent service and product quality from both stores. And although I haven't ordered from Meritline.com, I ordered their ink cartdridges and labels, and their products are excellent quality. The DVD-R's that I ordered were the generic 1x on a spindle, and I tell you they all look perfect, and I've burnt almost all 50 I got. No dust, stratches, blobs, or any bullshit like that. I don't really care if all 3 stores are the same... as long as they keep delivering quality products at cheap prices I'll keep buying from them.
Chain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2002, 05:05   #17  |  Link
Antimon
A lil bit of everything

how quickly was the trn aroudn time?

no debit of my a acount, no shipment, no order confirmation......it';s been over 2 weeks, did they just lose it or are they sittign on it and if i order again i'll get 2? damn, not a good first impresion, but the media is just too damn expensive from "legitimit" retailers
Old 22nd November 2002, 15:25   #18  |  Link
rufusrex

I've ordered twice from Supermedia and had them both shipped UPS ground. Both orders took around 10 days from when I ordered to delivery but I live in Maine. Both ordered were excellent and have no problems. Within 24 hours of the ordered they sent an email so if you ordered 2 weeks ago I would email them or call them.
rufusrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2002, 02:32   #19  |  Link
fasttimes
What-- Me Worry?

What about www.allmediaoutlet.com?

They list this as their contact address:

15810 E. Gale Ave., Hacienda Heights, CA 91745
Toll Free: 877-934-7146
Voice: 626-964-4648
Fax: 626-964-4687

They are in the same zipcode as one of the others!
fasttimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2002, 01:04   #20  |  Link
Tr0LL

I just ordered a 100 Pack of Ritek from Shop4Tech. They differ from my order I placed with Hypermedia a while back. The Hypermedia Riteks had the C1 serial and these Shop4Tech Riteks have the E5 serial. I haven't burned any yet so I have no idea if they are any good. But I'm just letting others know what I got from Shop4Tech.
Tr0LL is offline   Reply With Quote